PDA

View Full Version : guy claiming to be a cop?

autospeed
03-21-2004, 03:02 PM
i was driving in coral springs just yesterday evening over to my buddies house, when i entered coral springs close. We were comin round the corner and he wanted to hear my engine revv so puch in the clutch while we're coasting at like 35 and i revv the engine let it slow down and continue to go at 35. as i come around the corner some guy walks into the middle of the street and pulls out this little book of his points at it. claimin he was a cop but don't they have actual badges? So i stop the car with 15 feet b/w me and him he walks over and bitches me out for a good 3 minutes bout how can have me charged with wreckless driving and everything else in the book and heave me thrown in jail because he claims he heard me speeding around the corner. now honestly can he really do anything? he was in normal street clothes not a uniform, even if he was off duty couldn't he have tried writing a ticket, although he only had sound to go off of? he had no one with him and my friend was in the passenger seat next to me so i've got a witness but i mean i'm not sure how seriously they'd take two teenagers even tho we're not lying. another friend of mine who used to live next door to this guy said he was nothing but a parking patroll guy but do they have anything like a little book that says they're members of th police in any way? he didnt do anything aside from bitch me out and to honest i think seeing a young brown guy in an acura is what caused him to do this more than anything else. at the time i thought he was a cop but now i'm wondering? i know he was a parking patroll guy but that was a year ago? any advice guys can i do anything to him if he was pretending to be a cop or just let it go?

autospeed
03-21-2004, 03:05 PM
and just for the record when he walked into the street i coasted to a stop and still had 15 ft b/w me and him if i was actually speeding i doubt i would have been able to stop in time when he walked out into the street. i really need advice on this cause honestly if he's just pretending to be a cop and now thinks hes all big and tough cause he scared me at the time this is getting on my nerves.:confused:

Weapon_R
03-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Why didn't you ask to see his book?

As far as I know, impersonating an officer is against the law.

Shaolin
03-21-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but my buddy's a cop, and I believe they have to carry their badge where-ever they go.. his gf is an RCMP and she has to carry her badge everywhere she goes too, so yeah.. that's what i heard anyways.

szw
03-21-2004, 05:06 PM
yah call the cops on him

autospeed
03-21-2004, 05:19 PM
yea he pulled out this little book it said something in it, but i saw no badge like what i'd expect and he just seemed to bitch me out, without following any protocol i've ever heard of, even tho he let me off "with a warning" isn't he supposed to have a manner in which to approach me? a buddy of mine who's dad is a really good lawyer said even if this guy is a cop and did ticket me (which he didn't) he could have his ass handed to him in court for the way he bitched me out (swearing and all) and "hearing" me speeding doesn't mean shit all especially if i was able to ease to a stop when he walked out. i'm pretty sure it was his parking patroll book thingy now that i think bout it cause it seemed to be more than just a plain book, but yea no badge. thanks guys, more advice welcome, if you have any.:thumbsup:

autospeed
03-21-2004, 05:22 PM
anyways what's done is done, imo, just i wanna have some info with me if i go down that street again and he gives me trouble as for this time, i dun care much just want to know, in case it happens again.

sexualbanana
03-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Even if he was a cop, he wouldn't be able to nail you on wreckless driving because he 'heard' you speed. If anything, get you on a sound disturbance, but because he didn't actually see you, he can't prove you were speeding.

It's like something one of the NBA refs said when he was talking to a player. He can't call a foul because he heard a slap. For all he knows it could've been someone hitting their thigh trying to imitate a foul. They have to actually see it in order to call it.

autospeed
03-21-2004, 06:33 PM
awsome thanks guys, now i'mma drive down that street with confidence stop and stare him straight in the eyes knowin he can't do shit all to me:bigpimp:

autospeed
03-21-2004, 06:33 PM
thanks for ur help guys:thumbsup:

MerfBall
03-22-2004, 01:57 AM
I would call the police and complain. People can't just be doing stuff like that and from what I know for a police to stop a car or people like that they either have to be in uniform.

dj_honda
03-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by MerfBall
I would call the police and complain. People can't just be doing stuff like that and from what I know for a police to stop a car or people like that they either have to be in uniform.

:werd: i would complain as well. i also believe that off duty officers are supposed to carry their badge, because i remember one time i was at macdonalds and there was an offduty cop in line. some guy tried to pay with a counterfeit bill and when it didnt work, he just took off and the cop went after him because he saw the whole thing from behind. and he had his badge on him not to mention he was with his kids. so if he was an off duty cop he would have showed you the badge as soon as you pulled over.

Wildcat
03-24-2004, 12:10 AM
heres what you do (ill gaurantee he will never bother you again after this);

do the exact same thing (rev your engine or whatever), he'll come out again, 99.9% sure he wont be wearing a uniform, he'll bitch and threaten yadda yadda...

Be calm, polite, restrained;
-First ask him if hes a constable (not a cop), he'll say ya and bitch some more no doubt....
-Then ask if he is on duty and you would like to see his badge and identification number. he'll say "no" and "no" im sure and the bitching will continue but be cool
-He'll continue to proclaim he's a constable and you'll say "sir, i dont not personally know you and you are not in uniform or on duty, it is my right to see your badge and number if i am not 100% sure you are a constable..."
-I'll bet he'll be a smartass and make some shit up, then you reply "If you are a constable you must have presentable identification on you at all times saying so and frankly i do not believe you are one and i would like to see your ID NOW"
-And he'll say he left it at home or some shit and wave that fuckin book around..
-Then you be the smartass "Do you know how serious of a crime it is to impersonate a constable?"
-He'll toot your horn for that one im sure, then you say: "Sir, im goin to have to report this, may i see your drivers license or another peice of ID"
-The yelling will continue: "But sir, i know what i did was wrong and i apologize, but it is imperitive that i see some ID and i contact the authorities. If you are a constable this will all just be a misunderstanding and you will have nothing to worry about and i am prepared to face whatever charges might come along with it".
-Thats when he shutsup, shits his pants and goes back inside, then your back on your merry way, never to be bothered again :D