PDA

View Full Version : Incorporating for consulting work: Lawyer up or do it yourself?

schurchill39
02-20-2017, 04:05 PM
For those of you who have incorporated your own business for consulting work (I'd specifically be doing it for oil and gas engineering) would you recommend hiring a lawyer to set up the corp and do annual returns or would you do it yourself at the registries?

I am toying with the idea of maybe doing something like this but am trying to wrap my head around my different options I have to get set up. I've always just been an employee so I am learning as much as possible now about what to do if I go another direction.

For those of you who recommend going the lawyer route do you have any recommendations on lawyers I should try and see? Even if its just to pay for a few hours to explain the legal implications of either method I am sure that would be beneficial too. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

benyl
02-20-2017, 04:30 PM
Registry. $400-$500

Unlimited A, B, C, D, E, and F class shares.

Give yourself 100 A. Give your wife 100 B.

Done.

SKR
02-20-2017, 06:26 PM
I had a lawyer do mine, just because I'm stupid and would have fucked it up. I spent $1100 to know it was done right.

carson blocks
02-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Lawdepot.ca, $300-$500 depending on options.

thinmyster
02-20-2017, 07:47 PM
I got the lawyer to do mine up and then I do all my annual returns myself

ExtraSlow
02-20-2017, 08:43 PM
Setting up the business isn't hard, totally fine to do it yourself. Agree to giving the wife shares of a different class.

I did my incorporation myself, but I have an accountant do my annual taxes, then do my own annual registries trip myself.

suntan
02-20-2017, 08:52 PM
Make sure her shares aren't voting.

schurchill39
02-20-2017, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

That looks fairly easy. Have you used it before?

A790
02-20-2017, 09:15 PM
My accountant did mine for $650. Worth it.

CompletelyNumb
02-21-2017, 12:44 AM
Depends how much time and thought you're willing to put into it. I had a lawyer do my current corp. I think it was $900? total and included an hour sit down with him to go over the structuring. LawShop by the peace bridge.

My last corp I tried to do all paperwork myself. I'll never do that again. Paying an expert like a lawyer or accountant to do paperwork is worth it vs the time I would spend on it.

msommers
02-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Timpro setup everything for my numbered company for (if I recall) ~$450. I basically submitted my personal info and had them do everything - was completely painless.

Checked my old email.

$496.75 if you come pick it up or $517.00 for express post-delivery

ercchry
02-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks

Originally posted by schurchill39

Fuck those guys, absolutely botched mine and it took over 3 months for them to set it up

:nut: :banghead:

Oh, then for the extra salt in the wound the "deluxe" package I bought was actually that diy kit you can grab off the shelf at any registry

carson blocks
02-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39

Yeah, they made my numbered AB corp for me.

Originally posted by ercchry

Fuck those guys, absolutely botched mine and it took over 3 months for them to set it up

:nut: :banghead:

Oh, then for the extra salt in the wound the "deluxe" package I bought was actually that diy kit you can grab off the shelf at any registry

Wow, that's crazy. Mine was two days and no problems at all. I had no idea the minute book etc. was available at the registries.

JPB
02-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Timpro setup everything for my numbered company for (if I recall) ~$450. I basically submitted my personal info and had them do everything - was completely painless.

Another vote for Timpro, my brother in law the accountant set mine up through them. Easy breezy.

One idea for shares - I made my wife and kids all different share classes. So if I need to give oldest kid some dividend $$ for university I don't need to give the same to the other shareholders.

Annual return is a 10 minute visit to a registry, if you have AMA they have a separate business registry line and everything.

schurchill39
02-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by JPB

Another vote for Timpro, my brother in law the accountant set mine up through them. Easy breezy.

One idea for shares - I made my wife and kids all different share classes. So if I need to give oldest kid some dividend $$ for university I don't need to give the same to the other shareholders.

Annual return is a 10 minute visit to a registry, if you have AMA they have a separate business registry line and everything.

We don't have any kids right now and will not at the time of conception of the company so I am just planning on setting up myself with class A voting shares and my wife with class B non-voting shares.

I'll check Timpro and the LawShop. Any other suggestions on law firms or services to use?