PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on CBD Oil

Clever
02-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Is anyone using CBD oil to treat joint inflammation or arthritis? I have always suffered from rheumatoid arthritis on my legs usually on my knee or my ankles, sometimes it will start with a swollen knee and it would then transfer to my ankles. I've been to the hospital several times in the past to get it checked and I usually get sent home with NSAIDs that I don't like using or told to take some extra strength Advil. It's been like this for years sometimes it will happen 2-3 times in a year to the point that I can't walk unless I take a lot of Advil. I haven't been to my doctor recently but as I get older, I feel that I need to look for alternatives as I know how destructive pain killers can be to the body.

I tried looking it up online but there are so many products out there, it's quite overwhelming. I'm looking for something that can be ingested and be able to function normally. I was told to set up an appointment with Natural Health Services and will probably go that route. I just wanted to get some feedback from people who use it or have used it in the past to treat inflammation or arthritis. Thanks

legendboy
02-20-2017, 11:29 PM
When you go to natural health make sure you tell them your looking for oils, unless your ok making your own butter (easy)

ercchry
02-21-2017, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
When you go to natural health make sure you tell them your looking for oils, unless your ok making your own butter (easy)

Tell the "bud geniuses" as they are the ones that will help you pick a producer, and not all producers have oil

Personally, I'd go with a topical... even with thc there is no high. Anything you ingest will take a while to build up a tolerance even if it's cbd specific, as there are still trace levels of thc

Homemade Epson salt baths are amazing for joint and muscle pain and inflammation... you come out just feeling like jello... it's basically just activated coconut oil (decarbed bud, then warmed in coconut oil, and strained) so if you just made that (all oils from producers seem to be sunflower oil based, and 3x the cost of the bud that's in them) then you could probably just rub it on the areas you need it

JRSC00LUDE
02-21-2017, 07:53 AM
It will do nothing for you, there is zero medical benefit from cannabis. Moran.
- Gestalt

ExtraSlow
02-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Consistency and potency are really variable, even when buying "the same stuff as last time"

Science-y-type-discussion:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-that-maui-wowie-doesnt-hit-you-the-same-way-every-time/

ercchry
02-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Consistency and potency are really variable, even when buying "the same stuff as last time"

Science-y-type-discussion:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-that-maui-wowie-doesnt-hit-you-the-same-way-every-time/

That's a pretty wordy article for what could be summed up as "not everyone tests their batches"

Which is less of a concern up here, with the licensed producers we have... but if you're ready worried it's best to stick to bedrocan as they are one of the few research grade growers

R154
02-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Marijuana and all of its components are highly addictive and cause immediate death to your body and mind. Don't use it. Do you want to end up panhandling on the street trying to figure out who stole your goodwill sleeping bag? No? Don't do drugs...

It's many times more poisonous than any pharmaceutical grade drug. Especially those non kidney and liver toxic nsaids.

The message endorse by pfizer.

ExtraSlow
02-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

That's a pretty wordy article for what could be summed up as "not everyone tests their batches"

Which is less of a concern up here, with the licensed producers we have... but if you're ready worried it's best to stick to bedrocan as they are one of the few research grade growers
I'm not any kind of expert, and also not a consumer. Any independent testing done in Canada?

ercchry
02-21-2017, 09:55 AM

I'm not any kind of expert, and also not a consumer. Any independent testing done in Canada?

As long as you go the LP route there sure is... the BC dispensary route? Not so much

Also with the LP's you're locked into one grower basically so the consistency is much greater than multiple sources for the same strain that the article was also touching on

But again, bedrocan is a whole different level... they're the original medical cannabis company from Europe so their processes at this point are very consistent

blairtruck
02-21-2017, 10:11 AM

As long as you go the LP route there sure is... the BC dispensary route? Not so much

Also with the LP's you're locked into one grower basically so the consistency is much greater than multiple sources for the same strain that the article was also touching on

But again, bedrocan is a whole different level... they're the original medical cannabis company from Europe so their processes at this point are very consistent
you can split your prescription between multiple LPs. i have 3 gram a day split to 2 different LPS

ercchry
02-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by blairtruck

you can split your prescription between multiple LPs. i have 3 gram a day split to 2 different LPS

NHS' official stance is they will only split after first follow up appointment, I say official cause the gf got her's split right off the bat, mostly cause her first choice didn't do oil, and she was recommended to use it (which she doesn't haha)

So we have 3 between us, bedrocan has been the only consistent one though for always having their full line in stock

Other two are aurora and mettrum

But the point is if you order "sour diesel" from xyz, it's going to be the same master that the clones are from every time vs grey market weed which is whatever the grower claims it is for marketing purposes (which is what the article was talking about)

JordanEG6
02-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Currently have 3 LPs in the household. Both my GF and I use the oil. I use it for pain/inflammation for the knee and she uses it for migraines. Works pretty well for the most part.

Although strains that are grown aren't 100% consistent, they usually fit within range of THC/CBD levels they are supposed to be in (UK Cheese - Hybrid - 14.00-17.00% THC; 0.00-0.30% CBD for example) and the prescription label and ordering info will reflect that. LPs are under Health Canada and have to test everything they produce in terms of THC/CBD%, contaminants, mold etc.

Anyway, when you go in, just let them know what you need it for and the Bud Geniuses will point you in the right direction to best suit your needs. Some oils are more expensive than others.

If you are an approved home-grower, there is a list of labs that you can send samples of your cannabis to for testing. A number of them are the same labs that the LPs use, if not their own.

Seth1968
02-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Homemade Epson salt baths are amazing for joint and muscle pain and inflammation... you come out just feeling like jello.

What is the scientific explanation for this?

I'm suspecting it's the placebo effect. Also, once the bather hears the miracles of Epson salt water, they're also more inclined to soak longer in the miracle hot water, instead of a shorter "regular water" bath.

ercchry
02-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

What is the scientific explanation for this?

I'm suspecting it's the placebo effect. Also, once the bather hears the miracles of Epson salt water, they're also more inclined to soak longer in the miracle hot water, instead of a shorter "regular water" bath.

It's the infused oils that are doing the work, the bath just gives the entire body an even coating

The (activated) thc/cbd does wonders for inflammation, actually thca is probably even better, but since I make it with leftovers from the vaporizer it's activated... and still works. It's not a placebo effect, you feel the warming, tingling sensation as soon as you touch any "canna butter" or infused fats, I also have a hot tub that I soak in just as long. Even with the jets it's not even close to the same relief or sensation. Plus if you don't rinse off the residue it lasts a long time. ie. I was fresh out of the tub when I made that post last night, and I'm still feeling nice and loose

Edit: and since I'm not a doctor, I'll let the pros explain them

https://www.leafly.ca/news/cannabis-101/what-are-cannabis-topicals

JordanEG6
02-21-2017, 12:26 PM

It's the infused oils that are doing the work, the bath just gives the entire body an even coating

The (activated) thc/cbd does wonders for inflammation, actually thca is probably even better, but since I make it with leftovers from the vaporizer it's activated... and still works. It's not a placebo effect, you feel the warming, tingling sensation as soon as you touch any "canna butter" or infused fats, I also have a hot tub that I soak in just as long. Even with the jets it's not even close to the same relief or sensation. Plus if you don't rinse off the residue it lasts a long time. ie. I was fresh out of the tub when I made that post last night, and I'm still feeling nice and loose

Edit: and since I'm not a doctor, I'll let the pros explain them

https://www.leafly.ca/news/cannabis-101/what-are-cannabis-topicals

Apparently Cannabis Massages are a thing now in the states. I've read some pretty interesting and positive reviews so far. I'd be intrigued to try it if it were ever available here.

Anyway @ercchry, how do you draw the bath with the oils and how much do you use? I did the same thing as you, I made some coconut oil recently with leftover Volcano trimmings, but I made it to ingest. But this bath sounds interesting.

ercchry
02-21-2017, 12:34 PM
I used a "commercial" bath bomb as reference, but at $14 a pop (from dispensary)... fuuck that. It was 30mg of thc so depending on the strength of your oil use that as a base?

But yeah, basically start with your typical coconut oil... then what I did was mixed it into the Epson salts (worked out to be a 8:1 ratio) and added some essential oils and nice smells and whatever... gf used it all before I got a chance to try it :rofl:

So for my bath I just added a tbsp of oil right to the hot water, with the salts and some bubble bath, made sure it all melted and mixed the water up well before getting in. Then soaked for about an hour. A massage afterwards would be ammmmmaaaazing :drool:

ercchry
02-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Okay, found what I used as a guideline... 16:1 for the salts:oil

Made 1cup of oil (probably closer to 1.25, but then loss from melting)

Had 18g of med brown vape poo I'd say half of it started life as either 8/8% thc/cbd or 0/9 and the other half being 17% or 22% thc
1-2g of fresh 9% cbd only premilled
Then maybe 20ml of mettrum's cbd only oil

So yeah 15ml/bath of infused oil. Too much? Not enough? Dunno, hard to gauge without any sort of high involved

max_boost
02-21-2017, 01:32 PM
ercchry needs a custom user title for his knowledge on this stuff

ercchry
02-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
ercchry needs a custom user title for his knowledge on this stuff

Haha, I watched too much viceland when it was on free trial

Doing a little math, if we say the average strength of the material I used was 5% then 15ml of this oil is 60mg thc :eek:

Whoops... and looking at dixie elixir's bath soak they recommend 10mg/bath

JordanEG6
02-21-2017, 02:58 PM
*SNIP*

Awesome. I'm gonna try it out. I may have to pick your brain more. Expect a PM or two. :)

I've been making butter/oil via sous vide with consistent results from my edibles. I've been recently looking into the baths and massage oils for all the oil I made, so this is a good starting point.

T-Dubbs
02-21-2017, 04:17 PM
I find that the local despensary (graydon green)has the best selection of oils.
They have a fantastic selection of medicated bath bombs also.

blairtruck
02-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs
I find that the local despensary (graydon green)has the best selection of oils.
They have a fantastic selection of medicated bombs also.
i was gonna order from them over xmas. didn't know they were in Calgary

aaronck
02-24-2017, 11:30 AM
I'll be watching this thread as well, I've made infused Coconut oil a few times that worked great, and recently tried an everclear tincture with mixed results. Also borrowed a "magic butter machine" I'll try cooking with next.

T-Dubbs
02-24-2017, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by blairtruck

i was gonna order from them over xmas. didn't know they were in Calgary
If you email them your paperwork, there is even a storefront on 17th ave.

theken
02-24-2017, 03:19 PM
i use canntrust, they have great oils

ercchry
02-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by aaronck
I'll be watching this thread as well, I've made infused Coconut oil a few times that worked great, and recently tried an everclear tincture with mixed results. Also borrowed a "magic butter machine" I'll try cooking with next.

Interested in your mixed results with the tincture, what method did you use to make it? How did you use it? What were your reservations with it?

aaronck
02-27-2017, 02:06 PM
I was in a hurry and using the Magic butter machine for the first time-
I decarbolized the green- put it in the machine with Everclear-hit start but it was just churning with no heat accidentally. I restarted it to cook, but by the time It was done I wasn't able to strain it right away, so it sat for a few hours. After straining it was just ok-I used medium CBD/THC bud and the result wasn't quite what I was hoping for and not sure if it was my process or the machine or... I've made a few batches of coconut oil that were dynamite, but this was the first time making tincture. I will try again soon

A790
02-27-2017, 03:35 PM
I was in a hurry and using the Magic butter machine for the first time-
I decarbolized the green- put it in the machine with Everclear-hit start but it was just churning with no heat accidentally. I restarted it to cook, but by the time It was done I wasn't able to strain it right away, so it sat for a few hours. After straining it was just ok-I used medium CBD/THC bud and the result wasn't quite what I was hoping for and not sure if it was my process or the machine or... I've made a few batches of coconut oil that were dynamite, but this was the first time making tincture. I will try again soon
Made an Everclear tincture. Decarbed the bud, mixed it in with Everclear, and let that sit for 6 weeks.

That shit took me to space. Way out of control. Had to dial it back pretty good...

ercchry
02-27-2017, 04:04 PM
Yeah, got to treat it like an iso quick wash without the reducing to an oil step, not like cannabutter

For more medicinal effects, decarb in an air tight, oven safe container for 1hr at 180-200F then transfer to a mason jar or similar after fully cooled

Then freezer everything, if fridge freezer at least 24hrs... deep freezer, probably 12hr

Then pour everclear into jar, shake the shit out of it for 45 seconds and strain, repeat with the rest of everclear (about 3 washes ideally) then you can put the everclear back in its bottle and keep it in the freezer

That will give you the cleanest tasting... most unassuming tincture possible

Alternatively once it's all frozen, you can freezer everything then leave it combined for weeks, giving it a shake every now and then... but potency won't be that much greater, and you will get a super dark... very smelly, strong tasting liquid

As for dose, 1oz of 20-25% bud, to 750ml of everclear should be 4-8ml depending on tolerance and if you're mixing with alcohol or not

aaronck
02-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Yeah, got to treat it like an iso quick wash without the reducing to an oil step, not like cannabutter

For more medicinal effects, decarb in an air tight, oven safe container for 1hr at 180-200F then transfer to a mason jar or similar after fully cooled

Then freezer everything, if fridge freezer at least 24hrs... deep freezer, probably 12hr

Then pour everclear into jar, shake the shit out of it for 45 seconds and strain, repeat with the rest of everclear (about 3 washes ideally) then you can put the everclear back in its bottle and keep it in the freezer

That will give you the cleanest tasting... most unassuming tincture possible

Alternatively once it's all frozen, you can freezer everything then leave it combined for weeks, giving it a shake every now and then... but potency won't be that much greater, and you will get a super dark... very smelly, strong tasting liquid

As for dose, 1oz of 20-25% bud, to 750ml of everclear should be 4-8ml depending on tolerance and if you're mixing with alcohol or not

Interesting- I assumed that the MBM would speed the process because that's what it's supposed to do(cook the bud into the liquid) When you say rinse, I pour everclear into the jar, strain it and then then fill it up with new everclear and repeat again?
Just asking as the Everclear is $$$. Is there anything else other than everclear that will work? Overproof rum maybe?
What I have is not terrible, just gives a mellow buzz, not long lasting.

Originally posted by A790

Made an Everclear tincture. Decarbed the bud, mixed it in with Everclear, and let that sit for 6 weeks.

That shit took me to space. Way out of control. Had to dial it back pretty good...

That's it? Decarb- Add to everclear- wait 6 weeks? Maybe I should make 2 batches to compare...

ercchry
02-27-2017, 04:42 PM
Yeah, rinse... with a 45 second shake before straining but yes, strain, then refill with fresh alcohol and repeat.

Alcohol is a solvent so it strips the thc from the plant really quick

You can use anything but the higher proof the better it will work. Could probably get away with 151

It also isn't super long lasting. Similar to smoking, which is nice. Usually I just sip on drinks with 6ml in them, if you casually sip then you can basically just maintain your level for as long as you want... usually my dose decreases as time goes on to just hold the level I'm happy with

ercchry
02-27-2017, 04:51 PM

That's it? Decarb- Add to everclear- wait 6 weeks? Maybe I should make 2 batches to compare...

The only difference with that one is the chlorophyll from the plant is leaching into the alcohol (that's why I recommend to keep everything frozen, to delay that)

I think the confusion is that the old school "green dragon" was done like that cause decarbing wasn't nearly as well known back then and it took that long at room temp to naturally convert the thca to thc

A790
02-27-2017, 04:59 PM
Yep, that was it. Sat in a mason jar in my pantry for a while.

Might make some new stuff maybe. Like I said, that was super heavy for my wife and I. I mean, we wanted to get stoned, but that shit was something else.

Space.

Been there.

born2workoncars
02-27-2017, 06:43 PM

:rofl:

Lol. You can't appreciate how funny this post is unless you've experienced it for yourself.

aaronck
02-27-2017, 07:43 PM

Yep, that was it. Sat in a mason jar in my pantry for a while.

Might make some new stuff maybe. Like I said, that was super heavy for my wife and I. I mean, we wanted to get stoned, but that shit was something else.

Space.

Been there.

Super powerful, but if you took less would it even out?

Clever
02-27-2017, 08:09 PM
Great info everyone! For my purposes though, can someone comment on CBD as treatment for arthritis or joint pain? It is too bad that there is really no way to try it out unless I have a card, hopefully this changes with legalization one day.

ercchry
02-27-2017, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Clever
Great info everyone! For my purposes though, can someone comment on CBD as treatment for arthritis or joint pain? That's too bad that there is really now way to try it out unless I have a card, hopefully this changes with legalization one day.

Again, topical is the best for those symptoms with no high involved, thca and cbd combo

Clever
02-27-2017, 08:39 PM
Gotcha, when you mentioned topical I was thinking the over the counter cream, I didn't know CBD had a topical version.

aaronck
02-27-2017, 09:03 PM
Super easy to make a topical made with coconut oil- if you have your card you can order high CBD/ almost no TCH bud and make some of your own- I used this one a couple times now, no problems!

http://www.wakeandbakecookbook.com/cannabis-infused-coconut-oil/

ercchry
02-27-2017, 09:24 PM
This thread got my brain thinking... currently have 3g of 7/9 thc/cbd in the water bath with 30ml of coconut oil at 190F, going to leave that overnight... so will have some thc and cbd activated, then I'm going to add in 1g of 22% thc and leave it for a day at around 80F to hopefully have a good amount of thca added in too. Then mixing it with a commercial cream. Should have really good anti inflammatory properties theoretically... but only time will tell

aaronck
02-28-2017, 09:59 AM
This thread got my brain thinking... currently have 3g of 7/9 thc/cbd in the water bath with 30ml of coconut oil at 190F, going to leave that overnight... so will have some thc and cbd activated, then I'm going to add in 1g of 22% thc and leave it for a day at around 80F to hopefully have a good amount of thca added in too. Then mixing it with a commercial cream. Should have really good anti inflammatory properties theoretically... but only time will tell

Using the Sous Vide machine? Interesting. Does it cut down on the smell?

ercchry
02-28-2017, 11:18 AM

Using the Sous Vide machine? Interesting. Does it cut down on the smell?

Yeah, no smell and perfect temperature control... works well

aaronck
02-28-2017, 11:30 AM

Nice, let me know how it turns out- why are you cooking in 2 separate stages?

ercchry
02-28-2017, 11:34 AM

Nice, let me know how it turns out- why are you cooking in 2 separate stages?

Cbd needs a higher temp to convert, so all the thca will turn into thc. So to insure I have a decent amount of thca I need to do the second stage with fresh bud. It really is more useful in this case since there is no high involved and thca has better anti inflammatory properties than thc

JordanEG6
02-28-2017, 11:42 AM

+1

I de-carb in a ziploc for an hour, remove the bud then stick them in mason jars with butter or oil and sous vide them for 4-6 hours.

So far it's been great with edibles as it cuts down the burnt weed taste. I've tried different methods before (double boiler, crock pot, oven de-carb), so far its the best way for me as it's consistent results with no smell.

Never tried the Magic Butter machine though. I can't bring myself to spend $200 on something that ONLY makes pot butter.

ercchry
03-01-2017, 06:35 AM

First stage ended up being 14hr, second was 12hr

My 30ml of oil ended up after loss being 26ml strained

Mixed that with 150ml of hemps brand lotion (seemed fitting haha)

For what should be 2.5mg/ml of thc/thca and 1.5mg/ml of cbd

Got the gf to rub some into my whole back last night, took probably 20-40min to really start to work, but 7hrs later everything still feels nice and loose.

But the real test should be thurs/fri after snowboarding in (hopefully) some deep powder at revy

JordanEG6
03-01-2017, 09:41 AM

First stage ended up being 14hr, second was 12hr

My 30ml of oil ended up after loss being 26ml strained

Mixed that with 150ml of hemps brand lotion (seemed fitting haha)

For what should be 2.5mg/ml of thc/thca and 1.5mg/ml of cbd

Got the gf to rub some into my whole back last night, took probably 20-40min to really start to work, but 7hrs later everything still feels nice and loose.

But the real test should be thurs/fri after snowboarding in (hopefully) some deep powder at revy

Sounds awesome. I may have to steal this 'recipe' from you. Post the results after riding, I'd like to know if it works after strenuous activity.
:thumbsup:

aaronck
03-01-2017, 09:56 AM
So you added the green to the coconut oil at the same time that you are de-carbing it? I did the same with my infused coconut oil and got SUPER wrecked, did not cut it with any other cream, just warmed it in the microwave and applied (GF got buzzed as well from helping apply it to my back)

ercchry
03-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Yeah, if you decarb like this it just takes a long time hence the 14hrs at 190F, but it's basically zero loss since nothing can escape via gas

You must have made some crazy strong oil to actually catch a buzz this way. I'd avoid the microwave though, apparently it scrambles the thc

Gf's only complaint from applying it was a warming tingling/numb sensation

aaronck
03-01-2017, 10:37 AM
It's pretty strong- took 1/2 oz of shake, decarbed in the oven, cooked in an old slow cooked for around 4 hours in a cup of coconut oil, with some lecithen. 2 batches so far, has been great. I haven't tried with any of my medicinal yet, but am almost due to make a batch again.

ercchry
03-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Huh, that shouldn't be too crazy... wonder if you guys ended up ingesting some? Or it entered the bloodstream somehow

This was an interesting read:

http://www.compassioncenter.net/topical-cannabis-preparations/

SmAcKpOo
03-01-2017, 02:57 PM
I've been vaping some Jack Herrer ~ 20.2% THC and its so potent my shit is fucked up for hours. Its not overly medicinal when it puts me to sleep....Lol.

ercchry
03-05-2017, 02:03 AM
Well, ended up riding 3 days of powder. First day I forgot the pax in the car... whoops

Was absolutely wrecked by 3pm... like could not even ride on my heel edge cause my quads were beyond cooked

Used cream on neck, back, and legs that night, then reapplied the next morning... also remembered the pax. Day two, I rode harder AND made it till last chair... even after being pretty beat from day one

Day 3? Got there for first tracks and rode till last chair, crazy deep snow too... so I'm giving topicals an A+ haha, was magic... considering how out of shape I am (only got out twice this year before this week) it was a life saver.

Also we are pretty damn hardcore, hiked for basically half the runs we did and we don't stop and wait. Top to bottom all day nonstop with no lunch break or anything

adam c
05-27-2017, 06:51 AM
Going to high jack this thread a bit, I've been looking into CBD for my anxiety as an alternative to prescriptions meds that my doctor is really pushing... I really have no interest in taking them but they keep pushing them more and more...

Does NHS cater and have suppliers that just do CBD without thc? Not looking to get high as I don't like the feeling of getting high

blairtruck
05-27-2017, 07:30 AM
Just looking at my Liscened producer website and the cbd stuff still has low amount of thc. there are dozens of online dispensaries that carry cbd pills and no need to go thru NHS or anyone. just order right now from your pc. be at your door in 3 days.

This place has a bunch of cbd stuff i can show for example, there are cheaper places then this place but for ease here are some expamples

these are cbd pills
http://thompsoncaribou.com/shop/canna-caps/75mg-cbd/

then there are drops for under the tonue
http://thompsoncaribou.com/shop/edibles/500cbd-tincture/

then there is this 99% cbd isolate. looks like crack or a hard drug but this is the closest you can get to pure cbd
http://thompsoncaribou.com/shop/concentrates/99-cbd-isolate/

adam c
05-27-2017, 07:53 AM
I've looked at a bunch of websites, the only thing I'm concerned about is quality and if it actually has what they say it has, e.g. Is actually cbd and not just some filler..

Also I'm not really sure how to use that isolate, I assume you need a mg scale to dose it but even then how much do you use?

blairtruck
05-27-2017, 08:08 AM
for the pure cbd isolate you would dab it. You get a dab rig. or a dab pen. or if you had a box mod there are attachments that you add to make that a dab pen.

this is just one online dispensary that i searched CBD.
https://mjnexpress.ca/?post_type=product&s=cbd

you can check out r/canadianmoms or r/canadients for all your marijuana questions.

here is a list of all the online dispensary.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianMOMs/wiki/momlist

ercchry
05-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Yes, if you go through NHS their "bud geniuses" can't walk you through the LP's and find you the one that has what you want. Fully controlled, tested, and no surprises

max_boost
05-27-2017, 04:12 PM
I went with Aphria. https://aphria.com/cannabis-oil/

I picked up some sativa high cbd oil and i don't have much of a review other than it keeps pretty chill during day use but I don't think this is the one for my needs so I'll finish the bottle and probably won't order it again. https://aphria.com/product/rideau_-gold/

My go to is the indica champlain high thc https://aphria.com/product/champlain_-indica/ take it at night, calms me down and I can sleep damn good.

max_boost
05-27-2017, 04:14 PM
Yes, if you go through NHS their "bud geniuses" can't walk you through the LP's and find you the one that has what you want. Fully controlled, tested, and no surprises you are the beyond resident bud genius :D

adam c
05-27-2017, 04:52 PM
I found a local shop that sells hempmed and isodiol, I read isodiol is g2g

The_Penguin
11-11-2019, 09:57 AM
So now that CBD etc is legal and more available, anyone else seeing good results.

I just started on CBD oil. CBD with very low THC content. My boss recommended it, as it really helped his chronic back pain. I have back pain and an arthritic ankle.
So far can't say it's done anything for the pain, but I hear it takes a while.
But holy shit am I sleeping better! It doesn't make me sleepy, or tired, I fall asleep the same, but I stay asleep.
And not groggy when I wake up. It also has chilled me out a bit I'm much calmer, dealing with stress better.

ExtraSlow
11-11-2019, 10:14 AM
What's your dosage and frequency? Daily in the evenings?
I've done a little microdose trial and not sure what I think. Have been dealing with some stress better, but can't say if that's related.

The_Penguin
11-11-2019, 10:19 AM
What's your dosage and frequency? Daily in the evenings?

10milligrams twice a day. Morning, and 2 hours before bed.

nzwasp
11-11-2019, 10:26 AM
I’ve got some knee pain at the moment and I smoked a bowl of cbd dominant and I must say my knee felt pretty good afterwards.
I guess it wears off after a shorter amount of time than the oil but I found the oil didn’t do much Atleast the oil I have

vengie
11-11-2019, 10:30 AM
I've started to use it, mostly because I sleep like shit and have a hard time turning my brain off.
So far I haven't seen too much of an affect, but I'm only a couple weeks in.

30mg before bed.

sabad66
11-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Has anyone tried the aurora cloud cbd vape cartridge? I got one last week, have been taking a few puffs a day instead of using the oil droppers. Still need to figure out the right dosing equivalent to the oil but overall it seems like a quality product.

The_Penguin
11-11-2019, 10:57 AM
I've started to use it, mostly because I sleep like shit and have a hard time turning my brain off.
So far I haven't seen too much of an affect, but I'm only a couple weeks in.

30mg before bed.

Interesting, I noticed the sleep benefits on the second day. I've heard 2 hours before bed is the "sweet spot" for helping with sleep.

vengie
11-11-2019, 11:16 AM
Interesting, I noticed the sleep benefits on the second day. I've heard 2 hours before bed is the "sweet spot" for helping with sleep.

I'll definitely look at shifting the time I take it. I have been taking it right before bed.

Thanks for the input.

Darkane
11-11-2019, 11:23 AM
If you guys are struggling with sleep, it was recommended to me to eliminate all electronics two hours before bed.

It’s tough, depending on the activity it helps. A LOT.

You’re limited to talks, walks, sex, reading, writing down your tasks for tomorrow (mind wound down), etc.

Spend some time in the garage.

Don’t workout in this time frame though, cortisol will be elevated before bed.

I’m enjoying reading the responses here, seem non-biased. In the past, people claimed CBD is the cure all.

Toilet_X
11-11-2019, 11:27 AM
Can it be absorbed through the walls of the anus?

Darkane
11-11-2019, 12:18 PM

Don’t think there’s any other way? That’s why their results are subpar.

ZenOps
11-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Everything absorbs better through the ass. That being said, media tends to mistake kids putting vodka on cotton balls shoved up their ass as a "way of concealing it" as to get high. I personally believe they are doing it as the cheapest and easiest way to get rid of a pinworm or other intestinal issue.

vengie
11-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Two hours before bed, up the anus.
Logic is sound. I for one look forward to sleeping like a baby.

- - - Updated - - -

If you guys are struggling with sleep, it was recommended to me to eliminate all electronics two hours before bed.

It’s tough, depending on the activity it helps. A LOT.

You’re limited to talks, walks, sex, reading, writing down your tasks for tomorrow (mind wound down), etc.

Spend some time in the garage.

Don’t workout in this time frame though, cortisol will be elevated before bed.

I’m enjoying reading the responses here, seem non-biased. In the past, people claimed CBD is the cure all.

Any tips on this? unfortunately I end up working quite late, often times right up until I hit the hay for the night...

Manhattan
11-11-2019, 11:46 PM
CBD is a joke. If people are sleeping/feeling better its due to placebo as is the case roughly a third of the time with any drug. Dosing CBD is similar to the studies that claim red wine helps you live longer. You'd need to consume hundreds of bottles of wine to get similar amounts of resveratrol as lab rats. Same is true for CBD where you'd likely need literally a few hundred mg dosage to enjoy the benefits if any. Add on top the fact that manufacturers are having trouble even problem dosing THC in their products you are bound get wildly inconsistent effects. Routine and 'sleep hygiene' is going to have a better result than anything you'll find on a shelf.

ExtraSlow
11-12-2019, 07:52 AM
Routine and 'sleep hygiene' is going to have a better result than anything you'll find on a shelf.absolutely the first thing anyone who has trouble falling asleep or staying asleep should be taking care of. Totally agree.

vengie
11-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Routine and 'sleep hygiene' is going to have a better result than anything you'll find on a shelf.

I've never heard of this concept!
reading up on "Sleep Hygiene" I definitely have some work to do...

A790
11-12-2019, 11:49 AM
CBD on its own doesn't do much for me. A low-THC/high-CBD blend is the ticket for pain relief that doesn't get me stoned.

ExtraSlow
11-12-2019, 12:43 PM
I've never heard of this concept!
reading up on "Sleep Hygiene" I definitely have some work to do...
If you are working late, make sure you are working somewhere away from your bedroom, and then when it's time to shut it down, put away your devices completely, then go through your routine like burshing your teeth, getting undressed etc. Read a book for 10 or 15 minutes. You need time for your brain to relax and shift out of work mode. Some people need the full 2 hour thing, but even 20 or 30 minutes is a HUGE help.
Don't sleep with your phone by your bedside.

The_Penguin
11-12-2019, 12:43 PM
CBD on its own doesn't do much for me. A low-THC/high-CBD blend is the ticket for pain relief that doesn't get me stoned.

How much THC?

A790
11-12-2019, 12:50 PM
How much THC?

2-3% usually. There are higher blends but I don't like to use them if I'm driving.

Ukyo8
11-15-2019, 02:24 PM
2-3% usually. There are higher blends but I don't like to use them if I'm driving.

Where do you find something like that?
Most placed I've been to sell either high THC, or THC free CBD

Kobe
11-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Where do you find something like that?
Most placed I've been to sell either high THC, or THC free CBD

It's not even the THC it just needs some THC - someone with cancer who is taking CBD told me, having CBD itself (Like in Europe) doesn't work as well as having some THC, you shouldn't feel like but it needs some THC - i think all of the CBD oils have some THC but it's minimal..

In Europe i think it has to have under 1 or 2% THC, but under 3% basically good for you (You don't feel your high)

https://i.gyazo.com/fee9f047040d2639e179174116573a6c.png

Edit: It's just usually sold out in stores but any CBD oil has some THC in it usually...
With all that said CBD didn't do much for me, but i did purchase some glasses that block bluelight since i'm by the computer a lot daily, it's really helped my eyes it's good for sleep after too..

The_Penguin
11-16-2019, 03:49 PM
It's not even the THC it just needs some THC - someone with cancer who is taking CBD told me, having CBD itself (Like in Europe) doesn't work as well as having some THC, you shouldn't feel like but it needs some THC - i think all of the CBD oils have some THC but it's minimal..

In Europe i think it has to have under 1 or 2% THC, but under 3% basically good for you (You don't feel your high)

Edit: It's just usually sold out in stores but any CBD oil has some THC in it usually...
With all that said CBD didn't do much for me,
Seems pricey.
My boss recommended Solei Free, bit less potent 8-12 mg CBD, and 2 or less MG THC.
So far still can't say it helps with any pain, but sleep and mood definitely improved.

schurchill39
03-05-2024, 12:09 PM
BUMP.

I use(d) CBD for tendonitis in my ankles and knees and it makes a huge difference in the pain level on bad days. It was a pretty huge game changer from going to sleep with ice packs, compression braces, or TENS machines hooked up. I am currently a client of Revolution Medical Cannabis and used to order high CBD low THC in pill and oil form from Cann Trust but since they went out of business I was switched to Revolution Medical's inhouse pharmacy. I just had one of their annoying 3 month phone check ins and asked to be switched to a different pharmacy because of how brutal it is to reorder from them and how poor their support is but instead got screamed at by the agent (who coincidentally was named Karen) telling me I am a liar and the problem is with me not them. Needless to say I am looking for a different Medical Office or CBD hook up.

Is it even necessary anymore to go through the prescription route anymore? Is there any benefit doing that versus going to a pot shop if I know what works for me? If the prescription route still makes the most sense who seems to have good service or what supplier should I be looking at? Cann Trust was good because it was like going on amazon, searching products and putting in an order that fit within the prescribed amount and it was at my house a few days later. I could get pills, oils, and a535 type lotions in a decent supply pretty easily and the "prescription refill" was uploaded seemlessly.

jwslam
03-05-2024, 01:00 PM
Does your employer care? If yes then that might be a case where you should continue the prescription route... also is that insurance claimable?

Otherwise, I have no idea what the difference in product might be.

max_boost
03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Oh I’m sure you can just check off any pot shop just compare the percentages and you’re good to go unless I’m missing something
I used cannabis oils for a good 4-5 years. Value buds in every corner looks like you just need a 99% cbd and 1% thc, should be plenty. Good lucky

ercchry
03-05-2024, 06:46 PM
I doubt they’ve given medical a DIN (biggest issue if you have a drug plan for claiming it). If you’re just after CBD, no mg limit there… so the pot stores should be easy enough. Pricing is probably similar too

schurchill39
03-06-2024, 12:32 AM
Does your employer care? If yes then that might be a case where you should continue the prescription route... also is that insurance claimable?

Otherwise, I have no idea what the difference in product might be.

I've discussed it with my direct manager and they don't care as long as I am sober. I've taken various pee tests and never failed so I don't think the straight CBD (super low THC) will show up. It helps that my boss is also a broken human dealing with shit like this.

I doubt they’ve given medical a DIN (biggest issue if you have a drug plan for claiming it). If you’re just after CBD, no mg limit there… so the pot stores should be easy enough. Pricing is probably similar too

No there is no DIN on any of the bottles I've gotten so I know I can't claim it with my health insurance however it looks like it is eligible to write off via CRA health expense if its from a licensed medical distributor which must be new because it wasn't on there when I started this "journey". I now that for sure because for a while I was a contractor and my corp was set up as a PHSP and the administrator kept rejecting the CBD claims.

Medical cannabis (marihuana) – the amounts paid for cannabis, cannabis oil, cannabis plant seeds, or cannabis products purchased for medical purposes from a holder of a licence for sale (as defined in subsection 264(1) of the Cannabis Regulations). The patient must be a holder of a medical document (as defined in subsection 264(1) of the Cannabis Regulations). The Cannabis Regulations require that the patient be registered as a client of the holder of a licence for sale and require the patient to make their purchases from the holder they are registered with.

JRSC00LUDE
03-06-2024, 08:36 AM
BUMP.SNIP.

So you do find effective relief from pain using that? If so, and you want to share what you're using, please do. Currently enjoying what I think is tendonitis in my right arm, along with 3 years of general hip/knee pain from sports/repetitive injuries.

schurchill39
03-06-2024, 09:31 AM
So you do find effective relief from pain using that? If so, and you want to share what you're using, please do. Currently enjoying what I think is tendonitis in my right arm, along with 3 years of general hip/knee pain from sports/repetitive injuries.

I was only formally diagnosed with tendonitis at the end of last year via x-rays and ultrasounds, up until that point I thought it was arthritis because it only ever flared up really bad when the weather would change drastically or I had an abnormally long day of being on my feet exerting myself. I always had a constant ache but big weather changes made it espeically brutal - almost to the point of putting me in tears.

Originally I was taking naproxen and advil multiple times a day and throughout the night just to sleep but thats obviously not good for your guts. I got on the CBD as a last ditch effort not really thinking much of it because I dont use cannabis at all but was desperate. I BELIEVE the high content CBD oil was something like 25mg/ml and I was taking it ~2 times a day. It took about a month to feel any effects but when it finally kicked in it made a huge difference. I went from waking ~4 times a week up in the middle of the night to put on the TENS machine or wrap ice packs on my knees in order to fall back asleep down to maybe once a month. The longer I was on it the more theraputic benefit I feel that I got.

It never got rid of the constant slight ache but it gave me enough relief where I could manage with only compression wraps and very rarely advil or naproxen. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night unless its a huge weather change or I've had a big physical day so maybe 5 times a year total. When the provider I was using (Estora which was CANN Trust) came out with the capsuls it made a big difference on the convenience side of things. I could order 6-10 bottles at a time and when we were on shoulder seasons I would double up the doses for a month or so and ride it out. The downside to this all is I felt like it was pretty expensive but at the end of the day the relief was worth the cost to me.

I ran out about a month ago and this new pharmacy is a pain to deal with so I havent been able to reup and I am starting to feel the bigger pain come back, especially with the big weather changes going on right now. I actually just found the TENS machine again and sat with it for an hour last night and I haven't done that since like 2019

spike98
03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
BUMP.

I use(d) CBD for tendonitis in my ankles and knees and it makes a huge difference in the pain level on bad days. It was a pretty huge game changer from going to sleep with ice packs, compression braces, or TENS machines hooked up. I am currently a client of Revolution Medical Cannabis and used to order high CBD low THC in pill and oil form from Cann Trust but since they went out of business I was switched to Revolution Medical's inhouse pharmacy. I just had one of their annoying 3 month phone check ins and asked to be switched to a different pharmacy because of how brutal it is to reorder from them and how poor their support is but instead got screamed at by the agent (who coincidentally was named Karen) telling me I am a liar and the problem is with me not them. Needless to say I am looking for a different Medical Office or CBD hook up.

Is it even necessary anymore to go through the prescription route anymore? Is there any benefit doing that versus going to a pot shop if I know what works for me? If the prescription route still makes the most sense who seems to have good service or what supplier should I be looking at? Cann Trust was good because it was like going on amazon, searching products and putting in an order that fit within the prescribed amount and it was at my house a few days later. I could get pills, oils, and a535 type lotions in a decent supply pretty easily and the "prescription refill" was uploaded seemlessly.

I am using a stick (think deodorant) with 1:1 CBD to THC post op from a knee surgery. I wasn't having a great time with recovery (probably do to my own doing, lack of rest) and I was desperate for some relief. I've been applying it twice a day for 5 days now and it's been REALLY effective at reducing inflammation, pretty good at reducing pain, and finally moving along my recovery. I picked it up from a normal pot shop. No other pain/antiinflamatory meds since.

schurchill39
03-06-2024, 12:16 PM
I am using a stick (think deodorant) with 1:1 CBD to THC post op from a knee surgery. I wasn't having a great time with recovery (probably do to my own doing, lack of rest) and I was desperate for some relief. I've been applying it twice a day for 5 days now and it's been REALLY effective at reducing inflammation, pretty good at reducing pain, and finally moving along my recovery. I picked it up from a normal pot shop. No other pain/antiinflamatory meds since.

Something interesting I did learn from going the prescription route is that the THC is required for topical applications because its what helps carry the CBD through the skin into the tissue as CBD alone really struggles to do that. There was some fancy pants biology reason for this that someone smarter than me can share but my google-fu confirmed what the doctor said, and seems to align with what you're using. I have a 1:1 CBD:THC oil that I mix in with voltaren or a535 on bad days

ercchry
03-06-2024, 02:05 PM
Something interesting I did learn from going the prescription route is that the THC is required for topical applications because its what helps carry the CBD through the skin into the tissue as CBD alone really struggles to do that. There was some fancy pants biology reason for this that someone smarter than me can share but my google-fu confirmed what the doctor said, and seems to align with what you're using. I have a 1:1 CBD:THC oil that I mix in with voltaren or a535 on bad days

I believe the skin has THC-A receptors (the non-psychoactive THC)… so non-“activated” THC is the key to a good topical

jabjab
03-06-2024, 03:59 PM
Store bought brands are pretty garbage. I order from herb approach, they carry really good brands out of bc. Heck if I share a referral link we both get 25 free bucks!

https://herbapproach.com/?raf=ref4310695

schurchill39
03-19-2024, 08:40 AM
I think this weather roller coaster is the final proof I needed in my mind that CBD absolutely works for me for my joint pain. I've been out of CBD for about 2-2.5 months now and over the past two weeks of big weather changes I have woken up every night with knee and ankle pain. I might have slept 1 night without wrapping my knees, and I've been taking more advil than I have in years for things besides headaches. This is as bad as its been since I started taking it however many years ago.

I need to stop being lazy and get back on it.

JRSC00LUDE
03-19-2024, 09:23 AM
I think this weather roller coaster is the final proof I needed in my mind that CBD absolutely works for me for my joint pain. I've been out of CBD for about 2-2.5 months now and over the past two weeks of big weather changes I have woken up every night with knee and ankle pain. I might have slept 1 night without wrapping my knees, and I've been taking more advil than I have in years for things besides headaches. This is as bad as its been since I started taking it however many years ago.

I need to stop being lazy and get back on it.

Please post whatever product you settle on.

Gman.45
03-19-2024, 12:05 PM
I'm considering trying CBD oil/whatever as well right now. I have SLE/Lupus and get a fair bit of swelling in the joints - hands and feet, but everywhere else too - and also blew my lower leg up last year with a compound tib/fib batch of fractures (6 total plus the ankle). Not having much luck with the typical GABA series of meds as well as the usual NSAIDs and such. I wouldn't use the term "desperate" yet, but I could see my way aboard that train in the next couple of years.

Should I just go into one of the ten thousand MJ stores in SASK here and ask what works best?

schurchill39
03-19-2024, 01:59 PM
I'm considering trying CBD oil/whatever as well right now. I have SLE/Lupus and get a fair bit of swelling in the joints - hands and feet, but everywhere else too - and also blew my lower leg up last year with a compound tib/fib batch of fractures (6 total plus the ankle). Not having much luck with the typical GABA series of meds as well as the usual NSAIDs and such. I wouldn't use the term "desperate" yet, but I could see my way aboard that train in the next couple of years.

Should I just go into one of the ten thousand MJ stores in SASK here and ask what works best?

You definitely could. I went the Dr. route as I had zero idea about the cannibis world. I knew what hurt, and what I wanted for relief, what I was and wasn't willing to try, and they helped tailor that to me. Morso they helped with managing my expectations as after the first 2 weeks i didnt feel any different so I was ready to write it off. If its not a world you dabble in already it might be worth going the prescription route (at one of the thousands of MJ Drs around) and starting there before transitioning to manage it on your own.