PDA

View Full Version : School me in home security options and prices

ricosuave
02-20-2017, 07:55 PM
Hi all,

I'll be moving to a new home at the end of March, and I think I'd like to get some home security for it.

I have searched here, and the general consensus for paid services seem to come down to Vivint and United.

I was wondering if anyone has used either recently, and can either comment on their services, or the price that they pay. In fact, if anyone here has an in with either, or any other company, I'd love to hear about it.

I really don't know much about these systems, as I've never had one, so please, share your real world experiences in what companies to use, who to avoid, and what type of equipment and services they offer.

Thank you.

ShermanEF9
02-20-2017, 08:37 PM
are you looking for a monitored system, or do you care about that? would self monitoring be an option for you?

Thaco
02-20-2017, 10:16 PM
play hardball with vivint, you can get full service for minimal dollars if you do... work them down like crazy before the install, then when the gaurantee period is almost up, tell them it costs too much and come rip it out, they'll drop it more, a buddy got the full package for very very cheap.

ricosuave
02-24-2017, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
are you looking for a monitored system, or do you care about that? would self monitoring be an option for you?

self monitoring would be fine I think

ShermanEF9
02-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by ricosuave

self monitoring would be fine I think

Look at maybe getting a DMP system installed. they are well priced and offer a ton of options.

The_Rural_Juror
03-01-2017, 12:58 AM
Any recommendations for installers?

TYMSMNY
03-01-2017, 02:09 AM
I'll PM you an installer. Does Residential and Commercial.

edit: has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

The_Rural_Juror
03-01-2017, 06:54 AM
PM isn't disabled.

ricosuave
03-06-2017, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
I'll PM you an installer. Does Residential and Commercial.

edit: has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

send me that info, and still looking for more opinions

thankks

TYMSMNY
03-07-2017, 02:30 AM
can both of you send me a PM... or a mod look into why I can't PM them? Thanks.

spike98
03-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Id like some info as well. This vivint system is a steaming pile and i am getting close to the end of my contract. I will be able to terminate and keep the hardware so i might be able to leverage the already installed stuff and go self monitored.

The_Rural_Juror
03-07-2017, 12:40 PM
PM to tymmmmmmmm sent.

riced
03-07-2017, 04:56 PM
I've been with Vivint for about 2 years now - pretty close to the same time we moved into our new house.
I've had zero problems with them - a little pricey but the service has been excellent. I pay $50/month. I got the Panel, an indoor camera, doorbell camera, all sensors for the main floor and basement. Free installation. No activation fee.

We had one alarm go off shortly after we left the house - immediately the notification went off on my phone and Vivint was calling me at the same time. They asked if everything was OK - I told them we just left the house and we were turning around to check. They stayed on the phone and said if someone or something is happening, they were ready to call the police. The entire time I went into check the house, they were on listening.

Everything ended up being OK - must have been a shadow that tripped something in the window or something but the speed and service was great.

All other times I had questions/issues - they resolved it either through the phone or sent a tech out to get it fixed same day.
A few issues I had:
- Sky Panel was slow and lagging. They rebooted and sent an update. Fixed over the phone.
- Updated to Shaw 150 Modem. Sky Panel wouldn't connect. Tech came and gave a new router to connect to.

Overall - pretty happy with them. No complaints thus far.

s2k_boi
04-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Has anyone been offered a loyalty offer from vivint? If so, what was the offer as they want you to commit to another 42 or 60 term....

Thaco
04-07-2017, 04:41 PM
i just backed this for my inlaws and to keep an eye on my trailer when i park it on the street near my house (i live in a townhouse complex so its actually a fair distance from my house), seems pretty dead simple, and so many uses given the portability

http://bit.ly/2oNNk3G

57Gr-z7LEHc

brandon
04-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
i just backed this for my inlaws and to keep an eye on my trailer when i park it on the street near my house (i live in a townhouse complex so its actually a fair distance from my house), seems pretty dead simple, and so many uses given the portability

http://bit.ly/2oNNk3G

57Gr-z7LEHc

Interesting, I've never heard of this product!

..after a quick google search; you're going to replace these batteries every day or two?

dj_rice
04-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by s2k_boi
Has anyone been offered a loyalty offer from vivint? If so, what was the offer as they want you to commit to another 42 or 60 term....

I'll let you know when I call them and see what I can get as my 42 month contract was over in January. I'm still on the old Go Control panel, whereas everyone as the Sky Control panel now, key fob remotes.

All I want is a outdoor camera, Sky Control panel, key fob, door bell camera.

imranm
04-10-2017, 11:39 AM
If you want DYI, Smartthings (samsung) has a pretty good offering using ZWAVE.

I just installed some Ring Stick up cameras around the exterior of my home to monitor traffic around the house.

Thaco
04-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by brandon

Interesting, I've never heard of this product!

..after a quick google search; you're going to replace these batteries every day or two? it clearly states on the site the batteries last 4-6 months with normal usage.

brandon
04-10-2017, 06:42 PM
it clearly states on the site the batteries last 4-6 months with normal usage.

They clearly state that they offer 500 minutes of motion recording footage, there is a difference. Considering you are putting this camera in a highly trafficked area, and that most camera settings are set for 5-15s pre and post record once motion is detected, I honestly think you're going to get no where near that, and if it's highly trafficked at night then your battery will be toast even sooner.

But hey, I'm just a skeptic. Post back on it in a few months and let us know how it works.

phreezee
04-10-2017, 07:09 PM

They clearly state that they offer 500 minutes of motion recording footage, there is a difference. Considering you are putting this camera in a highly trafficked area, and that most camera settings are set for 5-15s pre and post record once motion is detected, I honestly think you're going to get no where near that, and if it's highly trafficked at night then your battery will be toast even sooner.

But hey, I'm just a skeptic. Post back on it in a few months and let us know how it works.

^ plus throw in some cold weather cycles into the mix.

dj_rice
04-10-2017, 08:44 PM
play hardball with vivint, you can get full service for minimal dollars if you do... work them down like crazy before the install, then when the gaurantee period is almost up, tell them it costs too much and come rip it out, they'll drop it more, a buddy got the full package for very very cheap.

Can you provide more info on what he got and whats he paying so I can use as leverage

Thaco
04-11-2017, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Can you provide more info on what he got and whats he paying so I can use as leverage nope, that's all i know. He said he had the door to door guy there for like 2 hours going over everything and each thing he pushed a little bit and by the time the guy was writing up the final contract he didn't realize how much he'd promised but couldn't back out then.

Thaco
04-11-2017, 06:37 AM

But hey, I'm just a skeptic. Post back on it in a few months and let us know how it works. obviously there are different situations where this would not be ideal, if you're trying to set up a camera in time's square then obviously this wont be ideal... nothing SD card based would work for you, so even if the batteries were not in the equation, it wouldn't work for your "situation"... run wires...

I'm not going to get in an argument over this, its just an option, if it works for you, give it a shot, if not, don't, its just a suggestion based on the topic at hand... not like this is my campaign, i don't really care if you buy it or not...

streetdreams
04-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Has anyone tried Think Protection i hear the add everyday on the radio?

nagooro
10-07-2017, 11:35 PM
Bump...looking to get a security system installed this week if anyone has any more input.

Likely a central monitored system with 3 door sensors.
Bonuses would be window sensors, camera, and being able to control it via a mobile phone.

Likely leaning towards United or Vivint at the moment.

Thanks

dj_rice
10-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Bump...looking to get a security system installed this week if anyone has any more input.

Likely a central monitored system with 3 door sensors.
Bonuses would be window sensors, camera, and being able to control it via a mobile phone.

Likely leaning towards United or Vivint at the moment.

Thanks

I personally would go with United. If you are going with Vivint, you able to use my referral code?

ExtraSlow
10-08-2017, 08:34 PM
100% serious. Do you really want a security system? What problem are you trying to solve?
I had a system and had no issues with it and now I have no system and I'm very happy.

speedog
10-08-2017, 10:42 PM
100% serious. Do you really want a security system? What problem are you trying to solve?
I had a system and had no issues with it and now I have no system and I'm very happy.

This. 21 years in our home, no security system, no issues over those 21 years. Good friends of ours followed us to this same community 19 years ago, have had a security system for all of those years and haven't had a problem that we're aware of either. Apparently I have not been schooled correctly on what a security system can do for me. My parents, 33 years in their home, no security system, no issues.

ExtraSlow
10-09-2017, 08:19 AM
The companies that sell these have all sorts of bogus reasons why they make sense but they are hardly unbiased observers to the transaction.

Home insurance DOES go down a tiny amount. For me it was fifty bucks a year roughly. Check with your insurance company.

I don't think they reduce your chance of a break-in significantly. A few window stickers and a yard sign probably does just as much. I kept my yard sign when I cancelled.

nagooro
10-09-2017, 11:45 PM
I personally would go with United. If you are going with Vivint, you able to use my referral code?

Since you're first to ask, yeah if I go with Vivint ill use your referral. Pm it to me.

Just out of curiosity, you're with Vivint, but recommend United? How come?

dj_rice
10-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Since you're first to ask, yeah if I go with Vivint ill use your referral. Pm it to me.

Just out of curiosity, you're with Vivint, but recommend United? How come?

Cause United is slightly cheaper and provides the same amount of great service/is local to Calgary. If we had United in Edmonton, I would of went with them.

Lemme know when you end up signing up and using the code, as I might cancel my service if they can't sign me up with what all the new customer sign ups are getting, new panels and door bell cameras.

nagooro
10-17-2017, 02:51 PM
How is the doorbell camera and outdoor camera with Vivint? In terms of quality, speed in which you can answer the doorbell or open the camera app, is it cloud storage? . I think I would only go with Vivint if the cameras/doorbell are decent quality. Otherwise probably go with united and set that stuff up myself.

350zguy
10-18-2017, 10:32 PM
If you want DYI, Smartthings (samsung) has a pretty good offering using ZWAVE.

I just installed some Ring Stick up cameras around the exterior of my home to monitor traffic around the house.

+1 for Smarthings and DIY

Security Systems are a thing of the past as once you have it, you realize that the only thing they really do to try to call you when the alarm is tripped. I found it so stressful when you trip the security system as i always found myself racing to disarm it because you're worried the police will get dispatched. On vacations it had the reverse effect of piece of mind because I got a number of calls where my father had tripped the alarm accidentally coming over to pick up my mail and having to find a way to contact your security company in a foreign country is a nightmare.

TYMSMNY
10-18-2017, 10:38 PM
If you're looking into more self-monitoring, I'd suggest something like HAI/LEVITON Omni Lte (most basic) module. App function, lights, music, security, cameras, garage door, thermostats, doors etc. Little bit more expensive than a basic "security system" but the functionality and customization goes a long long way.

bigbadboss101
10-19-2017, 08:17 AM
I am always paranoid about forgetting to close the garage door so every night I would go check before bed. Would like to install something so I can check from elsewhere. A friend left his door open last week and found out someone took their garage door openers.

jaylo
10-19-2017, 08:52 AM
I am always paranoid about forgetting to close the garage door so every night I would go check before bed. Would like to install something so I can check from elsewhere. A friend left his door open last week and found out someone took their garage door openers.

I have had good luck with foscam wireless IP cameras. Got one mounted inside the garage with sensor trip and it takes 4 photos. You can also set it up to record when sensor is tripped, either cloud subscription or DIY with a server/computer.

350zguy
10-22-2017, 01:07 AM

I think you can use a regular door sensor to monitor this. You can probably use most smartphone DIY solutions to easily monitor this.

TYMSMNY
10-22-2017, 01:49 AM
camera. middle of garage near the back. check on the phone anytime you're unsure.

or... have something like MyQ that lets you know if open/closed and open/close it.

taemo
10-22-2017, 09:43 AM

always have this fear too whenever we leave the house for work, so I bought a 3rd D-link DCS-932L and installed it in the garage to check remotely via the mydlink app.
I've also configured it so that it emails me whenever there's any motion detected.

I also setup a spare PC to continuously stream our 4 cameras that I can remote into easily