PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket, no speed sign.

nmack
03-21-2004, 05:29 PM
comming out of Tuscany..
turnning right onto Tuscany Blvd from Tuscany Way and heading towards stoney trail i was caught on Laser going 82 in a 50.

the ticket was for $194 and i believe 3points.

i went and looked aroudn this mornning on the exact same route and there was NO posted speed limit of 50km/h.

my plates are NWT and my drivers license is NWT (here for school)

Do i have a chance in arguing this in court? to reduce the fine and points.

should i take pics of the entire section of road i travelled?

powerslave
03-21-2004, 05:41 PM
I thought it was common knowledge that if there is no speed sign, it means it is a 50 km/h zone. It's taught in driving school.

AquamosH
03-21-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by powerslave
I thought it was common knowledge that if there is no speed sign, it means it is a 50 km/h zone. It's taught in driving school.

Yup, if there's no posted limit, it's always 50.

nmack
03-21-2004, 05:47 PM
possible to argue that this is not taught in the NWT? where my car and license is from?

EK 2.0
03-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by nmack
possible to argue that this is not taught in the NWT? where my car and license is from?

I am sure they have a grasp of other province's law and rule regarding driving, and if not, they can llok it up very quickly Bro...

50 unless, otherwise posted...

Try to fight it, really you have nothing to lose that way...

Ferio_vti
03-21-2004, 06:08 PM

You could try. But its the driver's responsibility to know rules of the road, regardless of where you are. Not Alberta's (or anywhere you go) problem that you don't know.

On the otherhand, if your licence is out for province, I don't think you have to pay. I'm not sure how that would work...

FYI, I've heard some places in the US, if you are pulled over for speeding and you're a visitor, police want you to pay up front. Visa and Mastercards accepted.

benyl
03-21-2004, 06:30 PM

Let say that stealing a candy bar is legal in NWT. It isn't in Alberta. You break the law in Alberta. You will be tried by Alberta laws no matter what the laws are in NWT. You have no argument.

Just try and get it reduced.

(What is with all the posts about people trying to get out of speeding tickets these days?)

Seanith
03-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Any residential zone will be 50 unless otherwise posted. You can try to go to court and the demerits taken off.

nmack
03-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Let say that stealing a candy bar is legal in NWT. It isn't in Alberta. You break the law in Alberta. You will be tried by Alberta laws no matter what the laws are in NWT. You have no argument.

Just try and get it reduced.

(What is with all the posts about people trying to get out of speeding tickets these days?)

sorry, i;;m not trying to get out of the ticket, but what i meant was if i had a good enough argument to try and have the fine or points reduced

rage2
03-21-2004, 07:10 PM
they do come after you if you're from out of province. Easy money to them. If you don't pay, they'll go after you with credit agency. Fun.

I got dinged for frickin' 10 over in Saskatchewan. $100 ticket, and they got the creditors after me for not paying.

Redlyne_mr2
03-21-2004, 07:22 PM
They can't legally affect your credit though. I would just say forget about it and don't bother paying it but thats just me. Ive got thousands of dollars in unpaid tickets from BC and Ontario. Haven't had any problems, haven't heard from anyone

benyl
03-21-2004, 07:38 PM
BC is different (I can't speak about Ontario).

From the horses mouth (when I was pulled over near Nelson by a cop). Speeding is a crime in Alberta. In BC, it is more like breaking a bylaw. As long as you don't pay the ticket, it doesn't go into the system. You don't get points in Alberta.

How they get you in BC is when you go to renew your license. Since an Alberta resident is never going to renew a license in BC, there is nothing to worry about.

nmack, I wasn't trying to be an ass. I am just saying that you argument won't help you. Pleading ignorance usually doesn't help.

Gonthro
03-21-2004, 09:34 PM
yea, ignorence of the law is no excuse...

and speeding is not a crime, unless it is excessive, a crime is breaking a federal law...

MerfBall
03-22-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
They can't legally affect your credit though. I would just say forget about it and don't bother paying it but thats just me. Ive got thousands of dollars in unpaid tickets from BC and Ontario. Haven't had any problems, haven't heard from anyone

While its true that they cannot legally affect your credit rating, when the banks look at large loans (40k+), mortgages, or lines of credit they will typically not only look at income and credit rating. They also look at whether you have any upaid traffic tickets (including parking). Odd as it is, my friend works at CIBC Imperial Services and he told me of these things when I applied for a loan.

dogmaiwli
03-26-2004, 11:10 AM
You may have no grounds to argue it, but do it anyway, I went in for a speeding ticket, and talked to the prosecutor and just said
Literally "I want no demerits and time to pay" and he kind of laughed and said, OK, "You need to go get a spedometer test $50" and if it is out anywhere on the reading, I will just give you a ticket for equipment maintainece failure (you don't have to get it fixed) $103. and no demerits came with that fine" so I did it, it was out and I went back in a couple weeks and showed him the reading, and he gave me the fine of $103 which all in tolled worked out to the same as I would have paid for the ticket, but no demerits.

And I didn't have a leg to stand on really.
But I think that is a one time deal.
and I almost guarantee you, unless you have a less than 6 month old car, your speedometer is going to be out.

BTW, let him tell you to do that, don't ask for it.
and of course be polite and clean cut etc... when you go in.

Zero102
03-27-2004, 12:10 AM
I thought the demerits don't count if it's out of province?

Redlyne_mr2
03-28-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
I thought the demerits don't count if it's out of province?
They don't , theres not much they can do to make you pay.