PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry KEYone?

Pages : [1] 2

Sugarphreak
02-27-2017, 06:51 PM

dino_martini
02-27-2017, 07:03 PM
I don't think you're too crazy. It looks a little weird in pictures but the specs seem decent. Will have to see what the actual build quality is. Depending on the price outright I might pick one up as a back up/just to play around with. I do wish more companies would put the LED indicator light in their phone. And I also do long for the feel of the keyboard on my old BlackBerry 9900.

eglove
02-27-2017, 07:13 PM
Marijuana is bad but blackberry is still a want??:nut: :nut: :nut:

Sugarphreak
02-27-2017, 08:55 PM

shakalaka
02-27-2017, 09:27 PM
I will be getting one as soon as I can get my hands on it. Looks slick and I love the physical keyboard. Passport was one of my favourite phones minus the OS10. So Android on a similar looking phone will be sick.

ercchry
02-27-2017, 09:29 PM
Bold was the last phone they built in house... quality of the z10 and q10 was junk, I'm over it. Finally caved a year and a half ago and got an iPhone 6s +, I'm a believer now

littledan
02-27-2017, 10:44 PM
I'm posting from a classic and will be getting the keyone as soon as it's available

Mitsu3000gt
02-27-2017, 10:59 PM
Very weak processor and low RAM stand out at first glance. Not sure what camera sensor it's using or what autofocus method(s). Every phone Blackberry has put out recently has been pretty bad. Personally I'd pass unless the only thing you care about is that physical keyboard. The few reviews I found are not very positive. Blackberry is like the HMV of the phone world haha. They somehow keep coming out with new phones. If you try it and like it though that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Every Galaxy and Google phone have had notification lights for years if you like that feature. Lighting up the entire screen for you to see you got a message is ridiculous IMO. What about a Pixel? Rock solid OS, pure Android smoothness, notification light, best camera available, and comes in 2 sizes.

The S8 should be good too, everything is known about it already pretty much. It will be the first phone with the SD835.

shakalaka
02-27-2017, 11:17 PM
3GB RAM isn't really low though. I'd say it's on par with most flagships. It could be better by today's standards for sure. Battery is huge supposedly as well and 50% charge in 30 minutes. The camera sensor is same as that of Google Pixel's so it's going to be pretty great. Blackberry isn't making them anymore, company called TCL has taken over the hardware production.

Mitsu3000gt
02-27-2017, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
3GB RAM isn't really low though. I'd say it's on par with most flagships. Battery is huge supposedly as well and 50% charge in 30 minutes. The camera sensor is same as that of Google Pixel's so it's going to be pretty great. Blackberry isn't making them anymore, company called TCL has taken over the hardware production.

2016 Flagships all used 4GB ram minimum, the GS8 will be 6GB as will I suspect most 2017 flagships. The SD635 is a weak processor as well.

The battery is 3505 mAh which is pretty standard. Roughly the same as a Note, Pixel XL, etc. Phones like the S7 edge, Mate 8, several Motorola models, Zenphone, etc. all have larger batteries yet, up to 5,000 mAh. Quickcharge has been around in various forms in the android world for quite a while now. My Pixel XL charges to 50% in ~30 mins as well and has a 3450mAh battery. The GS8 should be even faster, likely using Qualcomms quick charge 3.0.

Google's camera software is what makes it as good as it is, specifically it's zero-lag HDR implementation. Google also uses the CPU's DSP for image processing which nobody else is doing right now as far as I know. It is objectively the best smartphone camera available at the moment.

I don't think this phone is trying to compete with any flagships, but if he's used to a Galaxy S(X) he is probably used to a certain level of spec.

Sugarphreak
02-27-2017, 11:38 PM

rage2
02-28-2017, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Blackberry is like the HMV of the phone world haha. They somehow keep coming out with new phones.
I'm surprised they're still making phones seeing as they literally have 0 market share now.

http://www.recode.net/2017/2/26/14742598/blackberry-sales-market-share-chart

Every quarter they keep saying they're done making phones, and bam another random new phone.

killramos
02-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Why they haven't just sold off their naming rights to samsung to make a line of business targeted phones is beyond me.

I think its gotten to the point where their name might be worth nothing, a couple years ago they might have had a shot.

What a delusional company.

jwslam
02-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Lots of good reviews for the Priv, including my own.
I'd think this would be similar.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/blackberry-venice/showthread.php?s=&threadid=392835&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=3

Xtrema
02-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Every quarter they keep saying they're done making phones, and bam another random new phone.

They are like Nokia now, just license the name to Chinese phone makers.

BB as a secured Android platform it's good. Nokia also just promised monthly patches as well. I'm surprised the market leaders still doesn't do monthly patches.

As for KeyOne, it's not for me. I need they remake the Priv with SD835.

Mitsu3000gt
02-28-2017, 09:52 AM

I'm surprised they're still making phones seeing as they literally have 0 market share now.

http://www.recode.net/2017/2/26/14742598/blackberry-sales-market-share-chart

Haha 0.0% market share - doesn't get too much lower than that!

You're right though, they "bow out" every year and then out comes their newest phone.

rage2
02-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
BB as a secured Android platform it's good. Nokia also just promised monthly patches as well. I'm surprised the market leaders still doesn't do monthly patches.
The problem is 2 fold. Android has to deal with fragmentation thanks to custom Android builds. Stock Android has monthly security updates, kudos for Google for implementing this last year and really moving Android towards a proper secure platform. Manufactures that want their own flavor of Android needs to implement the monthly fixes that Google pushes out, but there's a large engineering cost to that. Really, only Samsung is making any money in the Android smartphone space, that's why everyone else is so slow in getting their updates out because they're not making enough money to sustain that. It really sucks for everyone else, they NEED fragmented android to be different to gain market share, but they can't afford to maintain said custom builds.

Mitsu3000gt
02-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
The Google phone has been on my mind, but again, not just feeling it. The Daydream VR they launched is pretty shitty compared to the S7 + Gear VR. I also feel like the S7 has a better camera than the Pixel. At the end of the day, the pixel doesn't strike me as being special... kind of like a Hyundai. I know they are pretty well spec'd, but it doesn't bring the wow factor I am looking for in my ownership experience.

Have you tried out a Pixel for any length of time? It is probably the fastest and smoothest phone available. Zero issues, bugs, or lag and no TouchWiz. Monthly security updates, guaranteed latest versions of android, and the hassle-free google ownership experience with free device replacement for a year. 2-3 day battery life is easily achievable. It's also Google's baby, so if anything does come up, you can bet they will be on top of it. The assistant is good, and there is 24/7 support built right into the settings menu (chat or call) if you have issues.

The Pixel has a better camera, better video stabilization, and a better HDR implementation than the GS7, however if there is some subjective element you prefer, then fair enough. The Pixel also is the only phone to offer free unlimited full resolution photo and video storage including 4K video, which is awesome if you do lots of that, and you can easily get away with the cheaper 32GB of storage.

VR is in it's infancy everywhere. I don't think either implementation is especially good. Daydream is cool (and comes with a remote), and there will be lots of effort put into developing the platform going forward. If VR is a big deal to you, you probably shouldn't be looking at any of the phone-based solutions. The screen on the Pixel XL is made by Samsung and is the same as the GS7, so that part of the experience should be identical. The experience is largely dependent on the apps/games, other than that if you have a comfortable headset they are all pretty much the same.

One area the Samsung wins everywhere is style - the GS(X) phones are always stunning. No other smartphone out there can compete with something like the GS7 Edge or what the GS8 is likely to be like IMHO. They look amazing and build quality is top notch.

Anyways unless you have completely ruled it out, I would at least check it out beyond fiddling with it at the store if you have the opportunity (and maybe you already have). :thumbsup:

KLCC
02-28-2017, 12:09 PM

The problem is 2 fold. Android has to deal with fragmentation thanks to custom Android builds. Stock Android has monthly security updates, kudos for Google for implementing this last year and really moving Android towards a proper secure platform. Manufactures that want their own flavor of Android needs to implement the monthly fixes that Google pushes out, but there's a large engineering cost to that. Really, only Samsung is making any money in the Android smartphone space, that's why everyone else is so slow in getting their updates out because they're not making enough money to sustain that. It really sucks for everyone else, they NEED fragmented android to be different to gain market share, but they can't afford to maintain said custom builds.

I thought PRIV/BB push out monthly security update from google as well? (I think PRIV is viable option, once it has received android 7.1 - coming in March, I believe?)

Xtrema
02-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by KLCC

I thought PRIV/BB push out monthly security update from google as well? (I think PRIV is viable option, once it has received android 7.1 - coming in March, I believe?)

PRIV does. All BB Android get monthly update on the 3rd of every month.

Rage is just saying why most Android manufacturs don't patch their OS.

I have not idea when PRIV get nougat. At this point I don't really care if they keep patching 6.

Google is pulling Google Now launcher this month and still locked Pixel Launcher and Assistants to only Pixel phones (yeah I know I can side load). I'm not sure if they want Android to fragment even further.

rage2
02-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Google is pulling Google Now launcher this month and still locked Pixel Launcher and Assistants to only Pixel phones (yeah I know I can side load). I'm not sure if they want Android to fragment even further.
I don't think they care about fragmentation at this point, at least in the scope of the whole Pixel business plan. Pixel isn't affected by downstream fragmentation, so they can compete against Apple on service level, security, user experience, and at some point smartphone profits.

Everyone else can't compete effectively unless they run stock neutered Android, and Google is making it worse as they limit features to Pixel.

blownz
03-02-2017, 02:41 PM
If you miss keyboards I think you will like the new KEYone. My wife has always been a keyboard (and Blackberry) fan and she has had the Priv for some time now and loves it. She is planning on getting the KEYone as soon as it is out. I have had tons of phones, and I recently went from a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge to a BlackBerry DTEK60. I don't miss the S7 Edge at all. BlackBerry's software is way better (keyboard, calendar, contacts, email, etc) and they do have the software updates first few days of every month.

BokCh0y
03-02-2017, 03:35 PM
I'm looking at either the keyone or the dtek 60, am using a priv right now.

Love the kb and use both the kb and the virtual kb as I've become accustomed to either or.

Software is great - solid and very slick. Liking the Priv and the BB addons way better than samsungs.

Hoping for Nougat soon.

Keyone looks pretty slick too, may consider that over the Dtek60.

Xtrema
03-02-2017, 05:05 PM
Unless you really need physical keyboard, DTEK60 got way better specs than KeyOne.

BokCh0y
03-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Unless you really need physical keyboard, DTEK60 got way better specs than KeyOne.

I still love the physical kb, but I am swaying towards the dtek60 for that reason. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

phubu
03-02-2017, 11:03 PM
I have the Priv right now and its pretty good so far without any issues and the keyboard is a nice touch. It has a damn good battery thats for sure.

Sugarphreak
03-03-2017, 12:28 AM

Xtrema
03-04-2017, 07:05 PM

That kind of bugs me that they didn't bother with better specs for the KEYone

Most phones are now made with off the shelf parts.

Having a square screen and a keyboard means both are custom parts and will cost extra, spec suffered to offset that cost.

Because nobody but KeyOne has that odd ball size screen. Screen supplier will not be able to find anyone else to buy it off them.

Sugarphreak
05-18-2017, 10:28 AM

shakalaka
05-18-2017, 10:41 AM
I got the pre-order email and it's only on fucking Rogers and some other networks excluding Fido. So I am screwed and can't pre-order. Will have to wait until it's readily available to be able to buy it outright at a Rogers store or perhaps blackberry directly if they offer it.

Xtrema
05-18-2017, 11:40 AM
I will wait for BlackBerry store. Carrier locked version won't get monthly update I heard, which is the whole point besides the keyboard.

Toms-SC
05-18-2017, 11:56 AM
I got teased hard for rocking a Priv on launch. Since that time some of the haters have gotten their own as work phones (by choice). My only complaint is that the camera is lackluster. I love the physical keyboard.

Hero_X
05-19-2017, 01:07 AM
looking forward to this phone, but so far only Rogers taking pre-orders.

Not sure if koodo will carry at all though... hmm

BokCh0y
05-19-2017, 01:10 AM
I will wait for BlackBerry store. Carrier locked version won't get monthly update I heard, which is the whole point besides the keyboard.

This is what I am doing too. I saw the pre-order but for fucking rogers only, and I plan on moving away from Rogers, so for me the blackberry store is the only version i want. Too bad the store itself isn't pre-ordering.

Sugarphreak
05-19-2017, 01:08 PM

jwslam
05-19-2017, 01:41 PM
http://www.androidcentral.com/blackberry-keyone-vs-blackberry-priv

There is one thing the Priv does better, and it may matter to you. The Priv has better reception than the KEYone in every test I've tried. The Priv is better on T-Mobile and AT&T, as well as MVNO carriers that use either network. In the same place at the same time, noticeably better. Where I live, work and play the KEYone is acceptable when it comes to connection strength and not the worst phone I have here. But it doesn't see the downright awesome signal strength you might have noticed from your Priv. If you need a phone that works well as a phone (the difference in data speeds was negligible at best) and you live on the fringe of coverage, you may have issues you didn't have with your Priv.

BokCh0y
05-19-2017, 06:38 PM

That seems unusual, do you have a link where I can check this out

I wonder if you can just get the phone unlocked and then get updates. In the past, all of my BB phones were ridiculously easy to unlock

My priv is unlocked, but I still don't get the monthly updates, but I'm counting on them via Rogers. Guess I can try doing it manually via blackberry itself?

Sugarphreak
05-27-2017, 10:28 PM

shakalaka
05-28-2017, 02:45 PM
Fuck...still waiting for it to become available straight from the store.

elite
05-31-2017, 07:29 AM
Fuck...still waiting for it to become available straight from the store.

Apparently can't buy unlocked until sometime in June. I don't understand why they didn't just start selling it right away.

BokCh0y
05-31-2017, 09:45 AM
Available for sale on the website right now. Open to Bell, Rogers, and Sasktel. Nothing for Telus and nothing unlocked. What a crock. After all this time, they're still great at pissing me off....yet i still keep going back to them :rofl:

No special deals from what I've seen too. Would personally prefer to buy direct by BB unlocked.

elite
05-31-2017, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
Available for sale on the website right now. Open to Bell, Rogers, and Sasktel. Nothing for Telus and nothing unlocked. What a crock. After all this time, they're still great at pissing me off....yet i still keep going back to them :rofl:

No special deals from what I've seen too. Would personally prefer to buy direct by BB unlocked.

I know I woke up expecting to buy it today and have it by next week. I'm tempted to goto Bell to buy one outright and unlock it. Issue is generally they won't sell release phones outright (and maybe bloatware)

shakalaka
05-31-2017, 12:11 PM
I have called several Rogers and Bell stores and all said no to selling outright. Closest I came to a local Bell store by me that says you don't have to sign a contract but can buy a month-to-month plan and activate the phone. The cheapest they have is $35/ month. So it would mean to buy the phone outright, get that plan and a new number and then just cancel that plan. Then go online and other the unlock code for the phone so I can put my actual Fido SIM card and use it. :dunno:

elite
05-31-2017, 02:17 PM
I have called several Rogers and Bell stores and all said no to selling outright. Closest I came to a local Bell store by me that says you don't have to sign a contract but can buy a month-to-month plan and activate the phone. The cheapest they have is $35/ month. So it would mean to buy the phone outright, get that plan and a new number and then just cancel that plan. Then go online and other the unlock code for the phone so I can put my actual Fido SIM card and use it. :dunno:

That's a possibility but a lot of hassle. Blackberry should have just released it for sale directly as well. Im gonna check a Bell on my way home see if I can buy without contract or else will be forced to wait until they release it in June

shakalaka
05-31-2017, 02:26 PM
So an update guys. I don't know what to make of this.

I went to the Bell store and bought the cheapest month-to-month plan and paid for the phone outright. I am going to canceling the plan soon. I was about to order the online unlock code but then thought putting my Fido SIM card in just for the sake of it. And low and behold it works!! Everything works and it has no issues. It's like the phone is unlocked or it was never locked to Bell.

The lady told me to do the set up after she put in the Bell SIM card at the shop and I said can I just do it later and she was like okay. At that point she had simply started the phone with the Bell SIM but I didn't do any of the setup process. On top I could see Bell and LTE.

I got home and before turning it on I put in my Fido SIM card and it works. Not sure how or why...but obviously I am not complaining. Everything seems to be working from what I can tell.

BokCh0y
05-31-2017, 03:14 PM

I went to the Bell store and bought the cheapest month-to-month plan and paid for the phone outright. I am going to canceling the plan soon. I was about to order the online unlock code but then thought putting my Fido SIM card in just for the sake of it. And low and behold it works!! Everything works and it has no issues. It's like the phone is unlocked or it was never locked to Bell.

The lady told me to do the set up after she put in the Bell SIM card at the shop and I said can I just do it later and she was like okay. At that point she had simply started the phone with the Bell SIM but I didn't do any of the setup process. On top I could see Bell and LTE.

I got home and before turning it on I put in my Fido SIM card and it works. Not sure how or why...but obviously I am not complaining. Everything seems to be working from what I can tell.

Great info, thanks for this and very interesting.

It sounds like at least for Bell it may already come unlocked. I don't know if it'll be the same for Rogers though, they're also dicks.

roopi
05-31-2017, 03:33 PM

Does it display a Bell logo on bootup?

shakalaka
05-31-2017, 04:09 PM
Don't think there is a Bell logo although didn't pay proper attention so I will look again. Also no Bell apps on the phone, it had Fido ones when I booted it up with my Fido SIM.

Hero_X
05-31-2017, 04:13 PM
I think i saw an ad on kijiji of some bell dealer in pacific mall selling it outright...or with a plan.

May give that a try.

Still a PIA though.. Blackberry should've just sold unlocked from beginning

Sugarphreak
05-31-2017, 05:46 PM

elite
05-31-2017, 06:55 PM
It hit Amazon US not Canada yet. Amazon.com won't ship it to Canada.

Hero_X
05-31-2017, 07:46 PM
not available for telus.. wtf!? :nut:

BokCh0y
05-31-2017, 08:03 PM
It sounds like these guys are selling them unlocked? Even though it might already be unlocked :dunno:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/calgary/new-released-blackberry-keyone-pre-order-available/1269198712?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

shakalaka
06-01-2017, 11:45 AM
It sounds like these guys are selling them unlocked? Even though it might already be unlocked :dunno:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/calgary/new-released-blackberry-keyone-pre-order-available/1269198712?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I had messaged them yesterday and they didn't have any in stock. The guy just messaged me this morning and said they got one. So if someone wants to contact them might be able to snag one right away. The guy's name is Sean.

Hero_X
06-01-2017, 01:26 PM
^

I emailed them, but if we buy out right, no return/exchange.

LoL not sure if I trust this new phone enough to buy outright without option to return....

elite
06-01-2017, 01:45 PM

I had messaged them yesterday and they didn't have any in stock. The guy just messaged me this morning and said they got one. So if someone wants to contact them might be able to snag one right away. The guy's name is Sean.

I went and bought it. Sold it completely outright and will text me the unlock code when he has it. No bell start logo either. Now just have to find a case and tempered glass screen protector for it.

GOnSHO
06-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Just had our first one show up at my office from Bell.

feels great in the hand! cant wait to test it out!

shakalaka
06-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by elite

I went and bought it. Sold it completely outright and will text me the unlock code when he has it. No bell start logo either. Now just have to find a case and tempered glass screen protector for it.

Nice one! I should have charged the guy commission for sending him a customer, Haha.

I guess I super lucked out as mine came unlocked out of the box even though I bought it outright from Bell. Only extra thing I had to do was purchase a month-to-month plan that I will cancel shortly and cost me extra $25. Mine doesn't have any Bell logos or bloatware either.

I am not gonna use a case but would like a tempered glass so let me know if you find it somewhere at one of the big shops.

Sugarphreak
06-01-2017, 03:28 PM

shakalaka
06-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Yup it's possible as I read on Crackberry from other people that were complaining about the same thing! It's ridiculous.

jwslam
06-02-2017, 08:27 AM
I guess I super lucked out as mine came unlocked out of the box even though I bought it outright from Bell. Only extra thing I had to do was purchase a month-to-month plan that I will cancel shortly and cost me extra $25. Mine doesn't have any Bell logos or bloatware either.
Are you sure? I thought phones are all unlocked in the box... It's some programming that causes them to lock to the carrier of the first SIM it sees.

shakalaka
06-03-2017, 10:33 AM
I agree some phones get locked after being activated which is why I was surprised since the rep did put in a Bell SIM card in first and the phone showed Bell on top. I just turned it off then instead of setting up process, which is email account, wifi password etc.

Came home and was about to order the unlock code and for some reason decided to stick my Fido SIM card in and boom....:dunno:

Hero_X
06-03-2017, 11:43 PM
So i bit the bullet and got the phone... but the shop said they can only get me an unlock code monday.

Does anyone know a quicker source for unlock code???

Sugarphreak
06-04-2017, 03:14 PM

elite
06-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Try a different carriers Sim. Mine was locked but didn't have any bell startup screen or bell apps

Sugarphreak
06-04-2017, 05:32 PM

Hero_X
06-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Ok so if anyone's interested:

can get unlock from ebay for about $10

BokCh0y
06-06-2017, 03:27 PM
Picked it up directly from Rogers, got tired of waiting for the unit directly from BB. Likely locked still.

@Hero_X have you tried the $10 ebay codes?

@everyone else - did you guys pick up any accessories yet? I'm looking to get the screen protector and the thin BB gel case looking thing for it. Where to get the accessories from? Just Rogers? I forgot to look when I was there and no one said anything to me about the cases and stuff either.

shakalaka
06-06-2017, 04:13 PM
I ordered on Amazon a tempered glass screen protector and a see through case but haven't gotten them yet.

Hero_X
06-06-2017, 05:47 PM
@Bokchoy: Yes, i placed order through the $10 code seller and got it the next day. I think it was mnz technologies or something? Seller was based out of the UK.

Code worked like a charm

BokCh0y
06-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Hero_X
@Bokchoy: Yes, i placed order through the $10 code seller and got it the next day. I think it was mnz technologies or something? Seller was based out of the UK.

Code worked like a charm

Sweet, thanks and will try it out. I just need a code so I can use roam mobility when i'm in the US.

And thanks Shakalaka. I saw those on amazon too, not sure how good the tempered glass screen is though. I have the self-healing screen protector from some little joint in chinook and it's been good since. I'm also curious about the OEM hard/soft shell so was calling around for that. Not a lot of accessories in the Calgary stores for this phone, feedback from rogers is the accessories are all sold out. Also the biatch from the rogers in chinook (huge attitude prob btw) said they Calgary sold the last keyone early today or something, so the city is sold out. This phone is sought after right now.

BokCh0y
06-06-2017, 07:27 PM
I ordered on Amazon a tempered glass screen protector and a see through case but haven't gotten them yet.

Oh also which clear screen did you buy from amazon? Can you send me a link please? I just wanna see it. Can't find anything here for the keyone, may hve to buy one of those clear cases anyway. Thanks.

shakalaka
06-07-2017, 10:31 AM
I ordered this case;

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071CKX7DB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this screen protector;

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06ZZR7WHK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The screen protector got recommended on Crackberry by several people and then I decided to order it. I wasn't going to order a case at all and run the phone naked until I saw it was a cheapie. Might still not use it though cause the phone feels solid but I was always screen protectors cause I hate smudges and finger prints on the screen.

Sugarphreak
06-07-2017, 11:01 AM

shakalaka
06-07-2017, 11:48 AM
^Check ebay for that. Tons of options and for cheap.

EDIT: If you want a high quality one, check out

https://www.pdair.com/blackberry-keyone-case

I had their case for my Red Passport and it was awesome. I might get one for the Keyone too.

elite
06-07-2017, 12:11 PM
I got the brotecht screen protector as well and a wallet case from Amazon. Still waiting on both to show up. I've heard some bell stores are selling blackberry cases but haven't taken a look locally yet but will check this weekend.

I heard staples has some liquid armour that can be applied to your screen/camera glass. Has anyone tried it in the past? Supposed to be permanent.

Once I get the screen /case I will update with a review.

BokCh0y
06-08-2017, 07:43 PM
I picked up a clear, see-thru flexible plastic case from rogers in north hill mall for $25 - not a bad case, have had better cases though. And also the tempered glass screen from rogers market mall for $30. Tempered glass cover just basically covers the display but not the sides, so wondering what's gonna happen with dust and stuff...

Hero_X
06-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Kinda surprised how few cases there are for this phone.

When I went to bestbuy, they didn't have any accessory for the keyone. :dunno:

ducaudi
06-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Nice to see BlackBerry getting love. Still rocking the Priv, definitely looking into the KEYone, hope you guys post some impressions!

BokCh0y
06-08-2017, 11:13 PM
So far so good, I'm really happy with it. I'm just having a hard time getting use to a physical keyboard, and type with pressure.

The tempered glass protectors don't fit right BTW, the glass is curved on the edge on the keyone and I noticed the tempered glass doesn't seal properly because of that so I've been getting lint all over the edges of the glass protective screen cover.

The phone itself is solid. And the June security update has already been pushed out. Not even my PRIV has that update yet. Phone is so very quick, resolution is very good, vibrate feels weaker than the PRIV though, as in not as strong. I've only been using this for about 8 hours now though.

BokCh0y
06-08-2017, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Hero_X
Kinda surprised how few cases there are for this phone.

When I went to bestbuy, they didn't have any accessory for the keyone. :dunno:

I don't think anyone anticipated how popular the ketone would be.

elite
06-09-2017, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by ducaudi
Nice to see BlackBerry getting love. Still rocking the Priv, definitely looking into the KEYone, hope you guys post some impressions!

Very solid feeling phone. I'm loving having the physical keyboard back. I'm coming from a 6p so the screen is smaller which took a few days to get used to but overall it's good. Battery life is awesome though

jwslam
06-09-2017, 07:46 AM
The BlackBerry KeyOne’s screen apparently isn’t glued to the rest of the phone

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/6/8/15763102/blackberry-keyone-screen-glue-adhesive-pop-off-drop

ducaudi
06-09-2017, 12:06 PM

I don't think anyone anticipated how popular the ketone would be.

Ketones eh? Haha we talkin' science? Jk, but totally agree on this. Very surprised how people are picking this up, not the usual doom and gloom BlackBerry is dead.

Sugarphreak
06-09-2017, 01:16 PM

elite
06-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Just got my case today:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B071FBXWXN/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not bad - never had one of these before but I like it. Looks good to but just wish it had the window at the front. Gonna see if I can find the blackberry one this weekend to compare.

BokCh0y
06-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ducaudi

Ketones eh? Haha we talkin' science? Jk, but totally agree on this. Very surprised how people are picking this up, not the usual doom and gloom BlackBerry is dead.

BB auto-correct clearly doesn't have keyone programmed haha

BokCh0y
06-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by elite
Just got my case today:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B071FBXWXN/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not bad - never had one of these before but I like it. Looks good to but just wish it had the window at the front. Gonna see if I can find the blackberry one this weekend to compare.

The BB ones are really nice in general, I have one for my Priv. My biggest gripe is that I wish the BB ones were more like the Samsung flip cases. The Samsung flip cases have that huge window in the front with a piece of clear glass. The glass is big enough that it makes use of the screen and displays everything you need. As well, the SS case when opened and flap is all the way back against the back of the phone, still allows the camera to take pics without getting in the way. And lastly that piece of glass in the front works wonders for helping to keep the screen clean.

The BB ones - the window in the front is just an opening, so dirt and shit gets in. The window on the front is not big enough, doesn't fully utilize the screen. And when the flap is wrapped around to the back, it actually covers the camera, so when you go and take pics, it literally is with two hands - one holding the phone and the other holding the flip case open.

For the Keyone, I'd like to pick-up the soft/hard shell case.

BokCh0y
06-10-2017, 11:14 AM
How are u guys liking the phone so far? The more I use it the more I like it. Apps are super fast on this thing.

AllGoNoShow
06-10-2017, 12:07 PM
How are u guys liking the phone so far? The more I use it the more I like it. Apps are super fast on this thing.

Had mine for a few days now, speed is good, camera is good, no issues so far except the lack of cases available in town and online.

roopi
06-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Anyone switch from Priv to Keyone? If so thoughts? Wondering if i should make the switch.

BokCh0y
06-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Anyone switch from Priv to Keyone? If so thoughts? Wondering if i should make the switch.

Yeah I did. I like the screen size of the PRIV, but adjusting to the keyone was easy. I like the keyone more in all honesty. Miss the larger screen but the overall size of the keyone although literally the same as the PRIV, feels so much smaller and compact.

shakalaka
06-10-2017, 06:28 PM
I am enjoying mine so far. That being said I do miss the big screen size and my typing speed of iPhone 7 Plus. I haven't gotten rid of it and might just end up keeping both so I don't get bored of either. I am getting used to the new screen as well though and typing is picking up and eventually I'll get quicker on the Keyone than the virtual keyboard.

BokCh0y
06-11-2017, 11:30 AM
@shakalaka - did you get your case and screen protector yet? Wondering how the fitment is on your screen protector. Thanks.

Can't find the OEM case anywhere in the city or via amazon.

shakalaka
06-11-2017, 06:32 PM
@shakalaka - did you get your case and screen protector yet? Wondering how the fitment is on your screen protector. Thanks.

Can't find the OEM case anywhere in the city or via amazon.

Nope, haven't gotten them yet. The screen protector though from reading on crackberry covers the major part of the screen but does not bend over to the edges.

BokCh0y
06-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Nope, haven't gotten them yet. The screen protector though from reading on crackberry covers the major part of the screen but does not bend over to the edges.

Same here for the screen protector. I got the gadget guard btw. Send me a pic once you get yours.

Also...interesting for you guys about unlock. So i went to go and buy an unlock code and got the instructions on what to do and how to unlock it. i didn't buy the code yet, but i remembered what shakalaka mentioned, so I tossed in a telus sim card into my rogers keyone. Booted it up, but it didn't come up with the screen it's supposed to where it asks if you want to unlock and then to enter the code. Instead it booted right up, but after it booted up, it did pick up the sim cuz it didn't say no sim, but it just sat there with "no service". So i don't know if the phone is locked or not locked or if there's another way to unlock it? I just don't buy the code if i can't get to the screen that asks me to unlock via code.

Is this what happened to you Shakalaka but it worked with Wind? For the other guys who have unlocked this phone, did yours boot to the screen with another carriers sim and ask you to unlock?

shakalaka
06-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Same here for the screen protector. I got the gadget guard btw. Send me a pic once you get yours.

Also...interesting for you guys about unlock. So i went to go and buy an unlock code and got the instructions on what to do and how to unlock it. i didn't buy the code yet, but i remembered what shakalaka mentioned, so I tossed in a telus sim card into my rogers keyone. Booted it up, but it didn't come up with the screen it's supposed to where it asks if you want to unlock and then to enter the code. Instead it booted right up, but after it booted up, it did pick up the sim cuz it didn't say no sim, but it just sat there with "no service". So i don't know if the phone is locked or not locked or if there's another way to unlock it? I just don't buy the code if i can't get to the screen that asks me to unlock via code.

Is this what happened to you Shakalaka but it worked with Wind? For the other guys who have unlocked this phone, did yours boot to the screen with another carriers sim and ask you to unlock?

I think that still means yours in locked as it didn't show any bars. Although all phones technically are supposed to pop a message saying 'insert proper SIM' or 'SIM not recognized' or something. But if yours were unlocked it should have had the bars. Mine was working without any issues as soon as I inserted a Fido SIM in the Bell phone, with all bars and LTE showing up and working without issues. I made calls, texts and browsed the internet after turing the WIFI off to make sure. It's been fine since that day, although I haven't inserted a Bell SIM in it out of the worry that it might then get locked and my Fido not work after.

BokCh0y
06-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Thanks for that info. I'm sure it's locked too, jsut wonder how to get it to come up with the unlock screen now haha.

shakalaka
06-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Thanks for that info. I'm sure it's locked too, jsut wonder how to get it to come up with the unlock screen now haha.

Once you buy a code, typically they send instructions along with it. Blackberrycodesource or something like that is a vendor that I would personally buy from and they are regularly posting on crackberry as well. Check out crackberry forums for lots of info under the Keyone section.

elite
06-11-2017, 09:03 PM

This happened to me too. It came up the first time I popped the Sim in but didn't have the code. Once I had it it never popped up. Just do a factory reset through the settings and it should pop up.