PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Grip Bench Press

blindsight
02-28-2017, 11:47 PM

danno
03-01-2017, 06:47 AM
Can't comment on the hand position but you can always Switch to dumb bells on a flat bench, if your worried about your shoulder. I only hit the bench press if I have a spotter, I can feel the shoulder pain every time I do it without.

brucebanner
03-01-2017, 07:15 AM
I've never practiced this myself either but I have saw it being done before. Just going to echo danno though, I'd suggest bench pressing with dumbbells.

J-hop
03-01-2017, 07:30 AM
I've tried this and didn't like it at all. I think my wrists aren't flexible enough as it felt like it put a ton of stress on them.

How wide do you go with your grip (on standard bench)?

Originally posted by danno
Can't comment on the hand position but you can always Switch to dumb bells on a flat bench, if your worried about your shoulder. I only hit the bench press if I have a spotter, I can feel the shoulder pain every time I do it without.

I would drop the weight on your bench and practice form, sounds like you're doing it wrong. A spotter shouldn't have their hands anywhere near the bar until the last rep where you are struggling so shoulder pain shouldn't be dependent on if you have a spotter. I watch some idiots at the gym having their spotter essentially deadlifting the bar while they get "one more rep man". If the spotter has to lift at all you're done, simple as that. A spotter is there to make sure you don't kill yourself, it's not a two person workout

A couple pointers that you may already know but try to remind yourself. Don't ever bring your hands in narrower than your shoulders even on "close grip" bench. That is really hard on your shoulders for zero benefit. Bring the bar down to your roughly your nips (not your neck or just below your neck like some people do). Unless you are experienced or are training to be a power lifter I'd suggest 5 reps be your minimum. Struggling for a new 1RM is a waste of time, it has nothing functional about it other than bragging. Most of the time this is where gym newbs get hurt.

blindsight
03-01-2017, 08:16 AM

brucebanner
03-01-2017, 08:32 AM
Blindsight, I don't think I read the other thread but what issue(s) are you having with your shoulder? Maybe you need to get that more healthy before worrying about benching. Can you do shoulder presses (barbell or dumbbell), front and side raises etc. without any pain?

My focus would be working with a sports physio or someone like that to fix whatever issue is causing the pain.

Darkane
03-01-2017, 10:13 AM
I've reverse benched from pins only though. It helps with sticking points but the weight I had to use definitely was low. It's a good assistance movement if you're trying to go heavy conventionally.

I'll mirror others, DB all the way now. It helps keep my shoulders happy.

A lot of people don't like DB because of the initial first rep. You should NOT need a spot to help there. Use a lighter weight. The DB press shouldn't stop at 45deg because of off the chest weakness. There is a place for reduced range DB presses but not the way most people do them lol

blindsight
03-01-2017, 10:29 AM