PDA

View Full Version : Best body work / paint shop?

tcon
03-02-2017, 06:41 PM
The previous owner of my evo got rear ended, clearly the shop that did the work sucks ass cause they failed at matching up the paint with the bumper/trunk. Wondering if anyone can recommend a quality shop to get my bumper repainted to the proper color:nut:

G-ZUS
03-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Screaming paintworks or maranellos

EF9 Sedan
03-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Screaming paintworks or maranellos

:thumbsup:

BokCh0y
03-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Maranello's is the BEST.

Mitsu3000gt
03-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Maranello if you need body work but I cannot speak highly enough about Screamin' Paintworks. They did a minor repair and color match on my GF's car (dark grey - extremely hard to match) and it is absolutely flawless. They were also 10/10 on the customer service side of things.

muffzz
03-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Another +1 for screamin paintworks. They are the only shop that has done all my paint/bodywork.

artieg30
03-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Not to derail the thread here but what's the average cost of a full re-spray at these shops? I know the cost will vary based on car but how about a standard size sedan? I'm looking to do a full re-spray along with some minor rust repair on one of the wheel wells.

Penguin_Racecar
03-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Used Screamin' paintworks in the past - would definitely recommend them.

tcon
03-03-2017, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the input guys I'll be getting in contact with screamin' after i get back from vacation

Dumbass17
03-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Maranellos

That.Guy.S30
03-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Maranello. I've used a few bodyshop now (even some higher end shops) and I still prefer maranello by a long shot. They are professional, shop is clean, prices are good and the work is amazing. I've never had a problem with them before.

zhao
03-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by artieg30
Not to derail the thread here but what's the average cost of a full re-spray at these shops? I know the cost will vary based on car but how about a standard size sedan? I'm looking to do a full re-spray along with some minor rust repair on one of the wheel wells.

8g + and they'll tell you they dont want to do it most likely. My last shop I worked at was a high end shop (known for mercedes mainly, but usually had something worth north of 200k there) I was there for 5 years, and the only complete we did in my entire time there was on a porsche 356 Speedster. That was worth it because that thing is worth a fortune now, and the value the work we did in increasing the car's value exceeded the cost (30g+) of the job.

Complete paint jobs on something that actually needs to be repainted is a disaster waiting to happen. You're going to be extremely picky even if it cost 3g, which btw is exactly what you'd spend to end up with a shit paintjob that will likely only look decent from 5 feet away+ at night, so at 8g you're going to be a customer from hell with picking it apart and bitching about it. The only way to do it properly too is to disassemble everything on the car, which you wont want to pay for. glass out, bumpers off, trim off, badges replaced. Cars have a lot of one time use things, and your car is probably in the 10 year old range, so stuff that isn't even one time use is probably going to break.

You're going to have dents all over the car too, which will add to the cost. you're going to have a vehicle peppered with rock chips too that is going to add to the cost of feathering out.

Your rust repair on the wheel well is likely rusting because it is actually rusting between the inner and outer panel where they join up. Even if you could, if they miss one spec of rust it's just going to come right back, maybe in 6 months, maybe in a year, who knows. Any repair on this short of replacing metal is only going to be a temporary fix because you can not get at the root of the problem. Do you want to spend 3g+ to replace the 1/4 panel (I thought not). Also, if it is rusting on one side, it will be rusting on the other side shortly, unless your car was previously repaired on the side it was rusting.

Then at the end of all that, you have a car that still looks old with new paint. My advice, if you actually like the car you own, sell it and go buy the best condition one of that model you can find; that is far cheaper.

The BMW Guy
03-13-2017, 09:48 AM
The quotes I got from screamin and maranellos is a bit high for my budget ($800 to paint a bumper?).

Any other shops that can be recommended?

G-ZUS
03-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by The BMW Guy
The quotes I got from screamin and maranellos is a bit high for my budget ($800 to paint a bumper?).

That's about average, the bumper (plastic) color will never be 100% spot-on with surrounding metal parts.

The_Penguin
03-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by The BMW Guy

I've had outstanding work done on my CTS by Contemporary Coachworks in the south. Don't know if they'll be any cheaper than the other 2.