PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Benz Reliability?

Bubba-G-
03-21-2004, 08:08 PM
So how reliable are the Mercedes Benz?

iceburns288
03-21-2004, 08:09 PM
I've heard good things. I don't know much, but that's what I do know.

JordanLotoski
03-21-2004, 08:12 PM
ive had mine ummmmm not long like 3 months...hasnt broken down yet...when u ask that question,, are you looking for an older one..cause mines a 2003...i dont think its gonna break down anytime soon

Bubba-G-
03-21-2004, 08:24 PM
No I have seen alot of nice 99+ ML430's SUV's for sale for mid 30g's and I'm kind of thinking of looking into one.
But I'm not to familar with benz's?

JordanLotoski
03-21-2004, 08:25 PM
ive got a 2003 for sale man....black with tan leather...lil more then 30 cause its pretty much brand new......22,000km

buh_buh
03-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by SIRCANADA
cause mines a 2003...i dont think its gonna break down anytime soon it just might man look at Rage's:rofl:

JordanLotoski
03-21-2004, 08:29 PM
yeah he got hit.......lol.....mines been great...i did have some condensation in my headlight and mirror..they replaced that no questions

SwitchBlade
03-21-2004, 08:47 PM
I worked at Lonstar Mercedes. I cant say id recomend the Ml's. They are always in for some kind of servicing. My uncle works at a bmw dealership and they dont keep the ml's on the lot after trade ins. They sell them off to some wholesale dealer. They depreciate fast among other reasons.

I do particularly like the C and S class they ride very nice and arent in much for problems other than basic maintenance. The E class isnt bad either. But i dont like them based purely on the fact that i think they are ugly. Other than that the old ones are a pile of crap.

Happy hunting

JordanLotoski
03-21-2004, 08:49 PM
yeah the older MLs had some probs.......thats why i went with a 2003

Bubba-G-
03-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Hmm I don't think I'm intrested in one anymore
Thanks for the help guys

20incheyes
03-21-2004, 09:11 PM
98 & 99 ML's are not a good option, my friend works at Hyatt as the extended warranty rep. she mentioned it along with many customers on MB boards. They redid alot of stuff on the 2000 and then updated the 2003's. Mechanically MB's are very reliable, but they do have problems with electronics all the time. (No Bill Gates and Michael dells in germany) Error messages are normal and after awhile you'll get use to them.

calgarys13
03-21-2004, 10:26 PM
everyone i know says there very reliable..but im sure kimi raikonnen would say different:rofl:

girlRACER
03-21-2004, 11:13 PM
In my experience, the SLK is a reliable car but there are problems with fit & finish, and electrical problems. I've replaced my brake light 4 x in the last 6 months and it is still broken. My Xenon headlight went out last week. I also know that Rage2 had some problems with his interior coming apart.

That is nothing in comparison with the C-Class and C-Coupe. My mom's C-class broke down twice within the first month of getting it. And my friend's C-Coupe has a huge thick pad of paper of warranty statements.

Ducati
03-21-2004, 11:56 PM
ther than that the old ones are a pile of crap."

Where do you get this erroneous idea, Switchblade?
I have a 1983 300SD that has 266000 Miles (about 430000 km) on it, and the car is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I am an old fucker that has owned 48 cars in the last 33 years, and I mean it when I say that this old Mercedes is absolutely more reliable than any Honda, Toyota, Volvo, BMW Plymouth Valiant, Datsun 510 & 240z, Chev Nova, VW Beetle, Ford or Willys Jeep that I have ever owned. It is a rock solid car that is spectacularily easy to work on, despite having some of the better engineering of the era like fully independent suspension, 4 wheel disks, a turbocharger, common-rail fuel injection, and other good mechanical things. I would trust this 21 year old extremely high mileage Mercedes Benz to drive it to PEI and back right now.

Who told you that older Benz were crap? Somebody else? You believe them? Do they or you have first hand experience or mechanical evidence to support that claim? If so, support your assertion that old Benz are shit.
I feel that the old ones (Pre 1991) were the best of the lot, and the venerable old 123 chassis was perhaps one of three of the most durable mechanical devices ever made on this planet. The models up to 1996 were good as well, with some cheapening of interior assemblybeing my only complaints, in my opinion.

My 1983 model has been in my family since it was new in Oct 1982, and has served my grandfather well, then me, with outstanding reliability. Granted, I take care of it, observibg the maintenance intervals scrupulously - but I am sure most contributors to this forum do as well.
The old MBz still has very satisfying power, does not use oil, the tranny shifts well, and it handles & stops well. I will keep it as long as possible, because I am fascinated with just how long it might last. I feel certain that there is another 100,000 left on the engine.
A 1968 Mercedes is on record as having the most miles on its original engine, with 918000. The world record holding Volvo P1800 that has two million on it has had multiple rebuilds.

How can you call this kind of durability crap?

girlRACER
03-22-2004, 01:40 AM
^^ In my opinion and those of others on the Mercedes forums, Mercedes doesn't make cars like they used to!! I agree that they were built better and were more reliable than today's generation of Mercedes but I think Switchblade was referring to the majority of old Mercedes you see on the road which have not been maintained regularly through the years and have been left to rust. :dunno:

ZorroAMG
03-22-2004, 01:56 AM
Um...girlracer, ANY car that is neglected will be a piece of shit. It is obvious that Switchblade has no basis for his comments and has no idea what he is talking about. Lot attendants rarely do. Most older Mercedes I have seen are well taken care of, it is usually older BMW's that are treated like crap and end up looking as such.

girlRACER
03-22-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Um...girlracer, ANY car that is neglected will be a piece of shit.

Um... I knew that. I was just saying that that was probably what his opinion was based on.

ZorroAMG
03-22-2004, 12:14 PM
LOL, figured that, didn't mean to sound like a smart ass to you :)

vince
03-22-2004, 01:45 PM
very expensive for parts and maintenance.

C4S
03-22-2004, 01:59 PM
I think the CLK and last E class r not bad .. but .. I heard so many bad things on C- class, ML..
Even S Class ... :dunno: seem like can't be reliable for more then 1 yrs .... :( ( but I still like S class )

but I think .. they r ok overall !

Xtrema
03-22-2004, 02:31 PM
STAY AWAY from any C class and ML class. Even if you have $$$ to fix them, the headache ain't worth it.

Everything else is good (E, S, SLK, CL, CLK, or any line that STARTS at $55K CAD)

nismodrifter
03-22-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm curious to see how long these newer MBZ's will be around for...like right now we look back at cars like the w126 and w124 and say "most reliable vehicles on the road", "mine has 400000miles on it and still runs great"

wonder what we will be saying in 10 years when we look back at cars like the w210, w220, w211 etc....

I really hope that things change because when I am old and am in need of a mercedes I don't want to have to pay $500 000 to buy an "antique"w126 just so I can have a reliable mercedes haha

ZorroAMG
03-22-2004, 04:58 PM
or a mil for a 1992 500E LOL...

"they sure don't build em like they used ta" eh Nis?

Ducati
03-22-2004, 09:26 PM
I wonder what this will be like in the long run?
Sure looks nice, tho. It is available with MB's 287 hp Turbodiesel, too.

nismodrifter
03-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Ducati
I wonder what this will be like in the long run?
Sure looks nice, tho. It is available with MB's 287 hp Turbodiesel, too.

the engine is all computer controlled and shit though (more complex=more things to go wrong :D). I prefer a "simple" engine (ie OM617 :D or even the more advanced OM603)....easy to work with....and most importantly ghetto fixes can occasionally work :D

Ducati
03-23-2004, 12:26 AM
Well, Nismo-D, it looks like we are going to have to look after our old treasures for all eternity. I have a Mercedes Diesel Forum that I belong to, that has been an invaluable sources of tips and information, and help.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/forumdisplay.php3?forumid=15

Check it out. There is nothing that these guys don't know about Mercedes Benz' and Diesels in general.

I figure that my car could use new rocker arms and associated hardware etc., however the camshaft is still mirror-like. Last year I had a Diesel Vac service performed that sucked out a quarter of a million miles of diesel carbon guk. I use additives in my diesel fuel - Hawes Diesel Treat and Kleen-Flo are cheap and make my glow plugs and injectors last forever. Every spring I run some Redline Diesel Purge thru the fuel lines and adjust my valves. Otherwise, oil changes (Mobil 1 Delvac) and an occasional air filter. Very trouble free car.

However, I am terrified of rust - perhaps these cars' single biggest failings. Why the fuck did those cold and calculating krauts cheap out at the end and source Russian steel for the bodies?
Mine, however, is 100% rust free.

Sure as fuck is a lot less hassle than trying to keep a trio of rochesters in synch on my old (and much missed) tri-power GTO, or two Webbers on my erstwhile Datsun 240Z, or fettling with the philistine fuel injection system on the 74 Alfa Romeo GTV that I just finished restoring last summer.

Computers! I hate them! Especially in cars.

nismodrifter
03-23-2004, 12:36 AM
rust is going to be a killer........these cars match the description of "the engine outlasting the rest of the car"....you might be rolling around with just the frame left and teh engine will still be running like new hehe :D You're lucky to have a 100% rust free vehicle. One hint for you though, you might want to check your "rain gutter" system which drains the water near the corners of the front windsheild. Once we removed the fenders off the 300SD I saw that the "gutter" leading from the corner of the windshield to the bottom of the car managed to somehow get disconnected....which meant that water had been making contact with all metal components in that area...needless to say there was a decent amount of rust there

btw.. I am already a long time member on mercedesshop :)

SwitchBlade
03-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Girlracer was right in saying that i was referring to the overall condition of old mercedes. I will agree with you upon the fact that the old benz's are mechanically indestructible. I was basing my argument on the fact that most of the older models i have come across tend to poorly taken care of. Also my opinion may be biased on the fact that the cars i drove usually had a problem; as they where brought in for some kind of servicing.

Most people bring in their cars to the shop because they are not mechanically inclined. Which leads me to believe that most people do not take due care to maintain their vehicle. To expand upon my statement i would say that the benz's i have come across have some surface rust. Granted they are over 20 years old it would not be that uncommon. I have run across a few cars where when they were power washed the paint washed off.

Some of the things i did notice was shuttering in gears and higher idling when put in to drive. Leaking windows in some of the 107 chassis's. My argument was based on the fact that i would not likely own one of these due to the condition that these vehicles where in. I do not doubt that your MB is in very good condition. However, i belive that if you where in my posistion you would see a different point of view. You would be driving something which was neglected by the previous owner and i would be driving something akin to the car from the showroom floor when this car was brandnew. I would imagine our interpretations of this brand of vehicle would be altered

@ Zorroamg what makes you think i was a detailer?

Ducati
03-23-2004, 01:29 AM
You are forgiven. Switchblade. There are a lot of rusty old W123's & 107's & 114's running around. The fact that they still run despite their obvious lifetimes of neglect belies the intrinsic engineering excellence of these old cars. The buyer of an old Benz has to observe the old maxim of Caveat Emptor more than anyone except muscle car guys who inadvertently get suckered in by a counterfeit.

However, if you can find one in nice shape that has been owned by a knowledgeable person who maintained it and knew where the body drains were, and kept them clear of collected debris, buy it, drive it, and sell it five years from now for as much as you have tied up in it.
No, you wont blow off any Toyota Supras with the thing, but on the open highway my ancient turbodiesel will utterly humiliate a stock 4 cyl. Civic Si. Not bad for a 5 cyl diesel with a quarter of a mil on it.
I have to wonder where all these Preludes will be in a quarter of a million miles?

XylathaneGTR
03-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Everyone's saying horrible things about the W203...but what about the older C class models, the W202 and W201?
Anything about them?

Ducati
03-23-2004, 02:49 PM
I am not particularily enamored with the C class, or the pre 02' ML. As ugly as it is, I actually like the E class wagon. And of course the unaffordable (to me, anyways) S class.

The C's are a bit unpolished compared to their predecessors or even Infiniti & Lexus.
The 201 is apparently not a bad car. "Bad", as in Horrible. That doesn't mean that it is up to the design and finish quality of the older MB's or the more upscale models. The reliability reports are not particularily stellar for any of them. Buicks are way more reliable. Now, thats a sad statement.

ZorroAMG
03-23-2004, 03:17 PM
W201 (they are 190E's, not c-classes) are not a bad vehicle, not as solid as their big brother (the W124) or the W126/W140 S classes. W202 are decent cars with some fast models (C36, C43) and have quite a following check out the mb forums for heavily modded W202's with some very happy owners :)

XylathaneGTR
03-23-2004, 07:44 PM
W201 (they are 190E's, not c-classes) are not a bad vehicle, not as solid as their big brother (the W124) or the W126/W140 S classes. W202 are decent cars with some fast models (C36, C43) and have quite a following check out the mb forums for heavily modded W202's with some very happy owners :)
I know W201's arn't a C Class, but they're the predecessor to it, so, i just group them in the same barrel.

I'm getting more and more interested in late production (91' up) W201's and early production W202's...So i'll definitly have to check up on the forums...
Thanks for the info, Zorro.

ZorroAMG
03-23-2004, 09:08 PM
NP :) check this: www.club202.com ;)

sti_power
03-23-2004, 09:33 PM
NP :) check this: www.club202.com ;)

Those are sweet!

XylathaneGTR
03-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Damn...Nice stuff on Club202.
Zorro, do you know of any W201 forums like that?
Thanks

ZorroAMG
03-24-2004, 02:43 PM
;)

http://www.190revolution.net

Enjoyez vous!

XylathaneGTR
03-24-2004, 04:15 PM
;)

http://www.190revolution.net

Enjoyez vous!

TH4NXZ0RZ!!!!
U = MY H3R0
<3

ZorroAMG
03-24-2004, 04:52 PM
I R teh B357!!!!1!!!

Moe Man
03-24-2004, 10:24 PM
depends how you drive it

CalgarySupra
04-01-2004, 04:33 AM
My personal suggestion:

Stay away from Mercedes all together. Yes maybe anything before 93 or so. Go for a Lexus. They have a lot luxury, and a lot of parts are at Toyota prices. ( toyota is number 2, so parts are very cheap )

ZorroAMG
04-01-2004, 10:08 AM
LOL great suggestion, N00b.....

Lexus has and will always copy and try to be Mercedes, so why feed the fat date when you can fuck the prom queen?

Mercedes quality is as good as BMW's today, it is just because they are revered as the most luxurious and expensive automaker (not incl bentley and RR) that BMW's problems are not as much common knowledge...

Hakkola
04-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Word, most people won't gonna care as much if some little thing goes wrong in their honda etc as they will if it goes wrong in their Benz.

I never really liked MB until I drove mine and got it, now I know they're the shit. Only old lexus worth gettin IMO is the sc300.