PDA

View Full Version : HID bulbs burn out once a year

aaronck
03-06-2017, 03:09 PM
My 07 forester goes through HID bulbs about once a year, is this normal? I bought online through Absolute HID and they've replaced them 3 times now, but I'm questioning if it's the bulbs or my car. Is there an issue that could lead to my car going through once a year, or are they just not great bulbs?

dirtsniffer
03-06-2017, 03:15 PM
stock headlights?

aaronck
03-06-2017, 03:19 PM
I think so- D2S HID bulbs

dj_rice
03-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Because aftermarket China

Back when I had HID's many moons ago, I bought from a company Canadian company called GT HID now defunct. (I'm sure they were China made kits) A bit more expensive than the rest but they lasted me a good 6-7 years before the ballast needed to be replaced. Never had to replace a bulb when I had them though.

dirtsniffer
03-06-2017, 03:22 PM
I am not sure that 07 foresters came with HIDs or projector housings. if not, take them out.

I checked and they didn't come with projectors. definitely take them out.

aaronck
03-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I am not sure that 07 foresters came with HIDs or projector housings. if not, take them out.

I checked and they didn't come with projectors. definitely take them out.

Thanks, are they burning up because I'm using the wrong bulbs? They installed fine and looked like the bulbs I removed- which bulbs would be correct?

J-hop
03-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Are you running DRLs? I know Subarus for sure run low voltage DRLs. HID ballasts can't handle low voltage so you need to disable the DRLs.

As mentioned in another thread I have zero problems with my cheap Chinese HIDs but I've also disabled my DRLs

aaronck
03-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Lights are always on, not sure how to disable- is this my problem? Should they be disabled?

J-hop
03-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by aaronck
Lights are always on, not sure how to disable- is this my problem? Should they be disabled?

Yea that is your problem. You may have noticed sometimes you get a subtle flicker of the lights. Flickering is horrible for HIDs as is running the ballasts at a low voltage. That is why you keep burning them up.

Two options
(1) disable - google, should be pretty simple like a bend/insult a pin on the switch type deal

(2) always turn your lights all the way on when you drive

aaronck
03-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Yea that is your problem. You may have noticed sometimes you get a subtle flicker of the lights. Flickering is horrible for HIDs as is running the ballasts at a low voltage. That is why you keep burning them up.

Two options
(1) disable - google, should be pretty simple like a bend/insult a pin on the switch type deal

(2) always turn your lights all the way on when you drive
I always have my lights on, (they shut off when I turn my car off)
So they are always on, is this the same thing?

Also thanks for the input!

J-hop
03-06-2017, 04:15 PM

I always have my lights on, (they shut off when I turn my car off)
So they are always on, is this the same thing?

Also thanks for the input!

Can't remember on my 08 but do you mean you always have the headlight switch on the stalk so that all lights are always on. Ie your parking lights are on, the dash lights are on etc? I think to do this you twist all the way ccw (towards the front of the car)

aaronck
03-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Can't remember on my 08 but do you mean you always have the headlight switch on the stalk so that all lights are always on. Ie your parking lights are on, the dash lights are on etc? I think to do this you twist all the way ccw (towards the front of the car)

Yup, just leave it in the on position- They go on and off with the ignition

dirtsniffer
03-06-2017, 04:18 PM

Thanks, are they burning up because I'm using the wrong bulbs? They installed fine and looked like the bulbs I removed- which bulbs would be correct?

no, you should remove them because you shouldn't be using HIDs in reflector housings.

Tej.S
03-06-2017, 04:24 PM

no, you should remove them because you shouldn't be using HIDs in reflector housings.

This. So annoying to see people on the road with HIDs with incorrect housing. It's almost as annoying as people driving with high beams on :banghead:

aaronck
03-06-2017, 04:38 PM

The only lights that fit are the D2S lights, were they modded? I'll try and take apart tonight, if it was changed, it was before I owned it...

Drooool
03-06-2017, 06:41 PM
honestly I gave up on HIDs. I had so many spare parts and I went through all of them. I got a set of LED headlights from mopac and haven't had an issue with them. Well worth the money.

J-hop
03-06-2017, 07:10 PM

Yup, just leave it in the on position- They go on and off with the ignition

Interesting, they should be running at full power then. Unless the have an auto dimming function but I don't think 07s did.

Out of curiosity How bad is the scatter? I haven't seen the 07 forester lights in person but I'm guessing they aren't projectors. Do you have a perfect crisp cutoff or are you spraying everywhere?

dirtsniffer
03-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Spraying everywhere.

JustinMCS
03-06-2017, 08:23 PM
You guys are giving him a lot of crap for his HID headlights when a 2007 Forester came with OEM Reflector (D2R) HID Headlamps as an option.

If your car came with oem HID headlamps from factory, they are going to be aimed and properly designed for HID bulbs. Just get a quality bulb from Philips or Sylvania.

Otherwise, the bulb you need is a 9006 for low beam halogen and since you say your car fits D2S (which you mean D2R) just get a name brand bulb and not a cheapy one.

Good luck!

RickDaTuner
03-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Definitely get a brand name D2R bulb, Phillips, Osram, Syvania. You can get them for about $80 per.
Just don't buy Chinese D2R bulbs they cause voltage instabilities in the light arc which wreaks havoc on the ballasts.

You'll need to keep an eye out on Amazon if you purchase from there as counterfeit bulbs are being sold as legit units.

Ali as a precaution and peace of mind also have your charging system tested as an under performing charge system will kill HID bulbs as wel.

aaronck
03-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the replies- I do believe the lights are factory, and they can't be too bright as I've yet to have anyone flash me in 5 years of driving. I'm grabbing some better quality bulbs in hopes of not having to replace them, I also had a charging system check done in the fall and no problems-this has been going on now for 3-4 years now which is why I ask. I might look into LED replacements in future if it's not too hard/ expensive

Mitsu3000gt
03-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Do you leave them on auto? They are similar to projector bulbs in that they do not like being turned on & off in short intervals, or off and on again after being on for a long time. When you go under a bridge, parkade, tunnel, garage, auto mode will strike the bulb, and then it gets turned off right away again either because you turn off the car or return to daylight. That is very hard on bulbs - not sure if that's the reason or not.

JustinMCS
03-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Do you leave them on auto? They are similar to projector bulbs in that they do not like being turned on & off in short intervals, or off and on again after being on for a long time. When you go under a bridge, parkade, tunnel, garage, auto mode will strike the bulb, and then it gets turned off right away again either because you turn off the car or return to daylight. That is very hard on bulbs - not sure if that's the reason or not.

Not with an OEM system - aftermarket maybe. They are designed to be used daily and in daily situations, especially in regular driving situations and also stopping and going at multiple destinations in a night.

The problem is the quality of bulb. Just buy an OEM bulb and be done with it, simple. I have had OEM bulbs last for 5+ years no issue. The cheapy bulbs are false economy. Buy philips, osram or sylvania.

Would not recommend LED in a system designd for reflector HID.