PDA

View Full Version : ?Autmatic to MAnual? is it possible

Prezzy
10-01-2002, 07:38 PM
Hey is it possible to convert a 4 speed auto (2003 Subaru Impreza WRX) into a 5 speed manual. Im not looking to do this myself, but i was wonder if it is possible whod i have to see and how much ???

buh_buh
10-01-2002, 07:49 PM
it is possible, but you would be better off just buying a manual to begin with.

speedracer
10-01-2002, 07:49 PM
That's not the right question.
It's how deep is your pocket?

2000impreza
10-01-2002, 08:09 PM
you need the whole manual 5 speed drivetrain, ecu, and all the sensors.. unless your a subaru expert you can't do the swap yourself. its about $10 000 for the parts.... maybe another $2000-$3000 for labour if you can find someone to do the swap.

converting a auto to manual on a subaru is very complex... it would be cheaper to sell your car and buy a manual.

Ferio_vti
10-01-2002, 08:19 PM
First of all, WRX should never have been allowed to be made as an automatic.

shadowz
10-01-2002, 08:26 PM
That would be a total waste of money. 1since its a new car and 2auto is more expensive. It would make more sence to buy the 5 speed in the first place

Prezzy
10-01-2002, 09:24 PM
well my dad is getting me the car and i need a convincing argument for me to get a manual lol
so i guess im stuck with it.

or if i could find a car that would keep its value up so i could resell it when i move out and then get one lol well thanks for the info.

GTS Jeff
10-01-2002, 09:30 PM
yea its especially expensive on a subaru becuz of the awd.

a convincing argument? well manual is cheaper

D'z Nutz
10-01-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
a convincing argument? well manual is cheaper

Also, it's generally easier to sell a car that has manual transmission if it's a sporty type car, such as the Impreza

Ben
10-01-2002, 10:06 PM
Tell your dad hes a moron if he buys you an automatic, he must think you are gay or something..."er...damn, cant let him *drive a Stick*". why would he not let you decide the drivetrain? save him money, drive a 5 speed, everyones happy.

2000impreza
10-01-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Benny
Tell your dad hes a moron if he buys you an automatic, he must think you are gay or something..."er...damn, cant let him *drive a Stick*". why would he not let you decide the drivetrain? save him money, drive a 5 speed, everyones happy.

i drive a automatic subaru....... so does my parents think i'm gay??? if you truely think that.... you are pretty useless. should i go tell my dad he's a moron?..... my god... be happy with what your parents are willing to but you!!!!!

Blue Devil
10-01-2002, 10:26 PM
:rofl: yes, your parents think your gay! :rofl:

2000impreza
10-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Blue Devil
:rofl: yes, your parents think your gay! :rofl:

OK!!! thats a good one. give your self a cookie :rolleyes:

Ben
10-01-2002, 10:53 PM
fuk dude, you need to take a breath and step back, I was just joking around, if you truely believe that I ment that seriously, then you are pretty useless. you should know that I'm a joker...where have you been? In the dark...closet?:rofl:

2000impreza
10-01-2002, 10:56 PM
benny. sorry man. taking a breath right now. went to a all you can eat sushi and ate too much:barf:

i hate it when people bash automatics..... you should be happy with what your parents are willing to buy you!!!

Weapon_R
10-02-2002, 12:36 AM
Manual = Easier to sell, easier to maintain, cheaper on gas, cheaper to buy.

Pretty convincing arguments for buying a standard. Thats why I bought mine.

To convert, you would have to buy the parts required, and since you are buying a brand new car, parts will NOT be found at a wrecker. You must buy them new too, and its gonna cost a LOT.

Above buying the tranny, you also need to buy the interior parts to modify it (most likely a new console, depending on how WRXs are setup). And labour. Just get a manual.

lammer
10-02-2002, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Pretty convincing arguments for buying a standard. Thats why I bought mine.

To convert, you would have to buy the parts required, and since you are buying a brand new car, parts will NOT be found at a wrecker. You must buy them new too, and its gonna cost a LOT.

Above buying the tranny, you also need to buy the interior parts to modify it (most likely a new console, depending on how WRXs are setup). And labour. Just get a manual.

but then parents will say

Auto = easier to drive and all that stuff
my dad wants to get in auto but i askd him for manual
he said that i would wreck the car because i don't know how to drive stick yet but i want to learn an di guess i can learn even in the new car.

Prezzy
10-02-2002, 08:25 AM
Yeah i know all of that but my dad starts going into its not about the money and how he doesnt want me driving a stick. All the arguments a give him arent going any where so i guess im stuck with the auto, which im leaning against getting a wrx with auto cause turbos dont work well in an auto. But im not going to tell my dad hes a moron cause than i'd get no car.

but auto is soo cool...

Ferio_vti
10-02-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I have to disagree with easier to sell, not 100% of the time. Really depends on the car. I'm driving my mum's old 5-speed Civic sedan. And when it comes time to get rid of it next year, its gonna be way hard than an auto. Considering that the majority of Civic sedan driver use auto.

Yes its easier to sell a manual sport car, the way they should be anyways. But for grocery getters, stationwagons, luxury land boats, and sedans, its a bit tougher (hence why a lot of them don't even have the option of manual).

Prezzy
10-02-2002, 09:00 AM
HEY ON THE PREVIOUS POST I MENT TO SAY MANUaL LOL

Weapon_R
10-02-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

I have to disagree with easier to sell, not 100% of the time. Really depends on the car. I'm driving my mum's old 5-speed Civic sedan. And when it comes time to get rid of it next year, its gonna be way hard than an auto. Considering that the majority of Civic sedan driver use auto.

Yes its easier to sell a manual sport car, the way they should be anyways. But for grocery getters, stationwagons, luxury land boats, and sedans, its a bit tougher (hence why a lot of them don't even have the option of manual).

Totally agree - depends on the car. But i'm sure that when you are looking for a 2 dr sports coupe, most potential buyers sway away from stick. I remember when I bought my car, that the automatics actually sold for as much as $2000 less than a similarily equipped manual. I was simply telling him to get a manual for the car, the Imprezza - although I am sure many middle aged people also look at the imprezza and would love an auto too.

Prezzy - The Auto WRX isn't as slow as you might think. And its better than having nothing. Go for it - you'll thank yourself during traffic jams here in calgary :banghead:

max_boost
10-02-2002, 12:51 PM
I don't know why people convert from auto to manual, just buy a manual to start with!!

And nothing wrong with auto either, I enjoy drinking my coffee and eating my donut in the morning! lol

three.eighteen.
10-02-2002, 01:29 PM
hmmm...wreck the car cus its manual...nah, wont happen you gotta learn somewhere, on something and you will end up griding someone's gears...might as well be your own...driving stick is a life skill that can be learned pretty easily within a day...you wont be prostar...but eh...

szw
10-02-2002, 04:47 PM
Just say you want the manual, or nothing. They will give in...hehe

Tell them what is the point of spending so much money on a car you don't want?

When I drive auto i tend to play with the radio a lot more too...almost got into an accident trying to change my stations the other day!

GTS Jeff
10-03-2002, 05:05 PM
if your parents give u bullshit about manual being harder to drive, tell them that every1 in europe uses manual, and that by making u get auto, they are basically saying ure dumber than the 12 billion people living in europe.

THREE40SEVEN
10-11-2002, 06:16 PM
Id look into some sort of automatic upgrade. Torque converter, shift kit, or something. I dont know whats available for the subaru's-All i do know is that a properly built automatic on a turbo car(or any drag car-na/turbo/or supercharged) will be faster than a stick car anyday. I dont care how fast you think you can shift.
Automatics will keep the turbo under full load at full throttle, where as shifting a stick car will slow the turbo down.

Lead Injector
10-19-2002, 11:34 PM
err, am I the only one who notices that your dad says you aren't a good enough driver to have a stick, but are good enough to have a turbo? strikes me as kind of odd. auto is ok if you live in a city with bad traffic, but if you actually plan on doing anything with it then I reccomend the stick. why not convince your dad to buy you a beat up POS for a hundred bucks so you can practice your gears in that?

BTW, I learned gear changes in a pontiac lemans and I have to say that out of all the different cars ive driven, none of them have a higher clutch than that. talk about teething difficulty

Prezzy
10-26-2002, 02:26 PM
Hey guys thanks for helping me out. It turns out that my dad got the car in a MANUAL (yeah!). Now the only problem is learning on it. I've got a group of friends who want to race me in it once i learn how (one of which is in a mustang gt, and the other is his dads z3). Any tips on how to beat these guys lol would help.

GTS Jeff
10-26-2002, 06:41 PM
the first trick to learning how to drive stick...is to learn to spell your cars model name!

P. Daddy Pedro
11-13-2002, 06:05 PM
Dude you have a wrx! JUST LEARN HOW TO DRIVE, and then practice, you should be able to keep up to Corvettes!

redline_13000
11-14-2002, 01:03 AM
just learn how to drive stick good...then u can start racing

infamous
11-14-2002, 01:18 AM
damn i wish that my dad would buy me a 2003 subaru impreza wrx! hey just outta curiosity, how much do you pay for insurance??

Sketch
11-16-2002, 12:05 AM
You drive a WRX, forget that cump ass drag racing scene, it will do little more than get you in trouble. Drag is for V8 behemoths and people who can't drive. Learn to tackle the corners, thats the distinguishing factor between a wannabe driver and a good driver.