PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my 09 STi ?

eb0i
03-10-2017, 12:02 PM
My 2nd engine in my 2009 Subaru STi crapped out last month and after the back and forth with Subaru Canada I've made the decision to not replace the engine. They are willing to give me a new block, but I have to pay for labor and parts which will come out to about ~$10k. Even if I pay $10k to fix it and then sell it, I would not recuperate the cost of fixing it. They won't give me the block to take home or to take to another garage because of "warranty issues".

At this point I don't want to put more money into it and have pretty much moved on.

What should I do? Junk it? Sell the body?

Also I have a decent after market sound system in there, brand new winters, radar, starter...should I strip it?

Just looking for thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

dirtsniffer
03-10-2017, 12:04 PM
overnight parts from japan?

D'z Nutz
03-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Take out the stereo, radar, put the stock rims/tires and sell it as-is. I'm sure you wouldn't have difficulty finding someone who would jump at the chance to take that on as a project.

BavarianBeast
03-10-2017, 12:06 PM
N54 swap with a big single turbo! I have no idea what that would entail.

mzdspd
03-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Take out the stereo, radar, put the stock rims/tires and sell it as-is. I'm sure you wouldn't have difficulty finding someone who would jump at the chance to take that on as a project.

This.. I had a friend sell his 07 with a blown engine for 14k. Car was in good condition with 100k. Someone will buy it as a project.

eb0i
03-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by mzdspd

This.. I had a friend sell his 07 with a blown engine for 14k. Car was in good condition with 100k. Someone will buy it as a project.

Jesus. Just list it on Kijiji then I assume?

KRyn
03-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Find a used engine and have an Indy do the swap / do some your self?

mzdspd
03-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

Yep listed on kijiji.. A farmer bought it for his son for his first car lol..

D'z Nutz
03-10-2017, 12:43 PM

Or Western Subaru Club.

Hell, if the current engine's already been pulled out, you may have already done half the work for someone depending on what they want to do with it.

darthVWader
03-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Ask them if they will let you take the block if you can sign off on future warranty.

NoPulp
03-10-2017, 01:03 PM
LS swap it :barf:

heavyD
03-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Is it really $10k to install an engine in this city?

eb0i
03-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Is it really $10k to install an engine in this city?

Going through the stealership apparently it is.

riander5
03-10-2017, 02:29 PM
What was done to the engines that caused them to blow up just out of curiosity ?

g-m
03-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Spun rod bearing? Replacing Subaru engines is a piece of cake. Get a crate engine for 3k, do it yourself. It's REALLY easy

eb0i
03-10-2017, 03:15 PM
My first engine had a crack blocked and leaked 1.1L of oil for every 1000km. Replaced at 90,000km.

The second engine had rod bearing failure at about 70,000km. Which apparently is very common in the EJ engines for 2008 and up.

top_speed
03-10-2017, 03:41 PM
They are willing to give you the block, but you still have to pay for parts?? What?? So are you replacing the head as well + labour for 10k?

eb0i
03-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by top_speed
They are willing to give you the block, but you still have to pay for parts?? What?? So are you replacing the head as well + labour for 10k?

They gave me a choice of choosing a long block or short block (that they will cover). The rest of the parts and labor I'm expected to cover.

My car is currently a Subaru Calgary and they are quoting me $10k. I've asked for a detailed quote and still have not received anything.

I spoke to Centaur Subaru, and within an hour they came back with a written quote and told me a I should go short block and with all parts and potentially machining I would be looking at about $8k (plus tax).

jacky4566
03-10-2017, 04:17 PM
I might be interested if you want to sell it. Can you send me pictures?

flipstah
03-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Why aren't they covering labour for warranty? That's stupid.

I sold my R as-is. Someone will buy it as a project.

Mitsu3000gt
03-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Subaru Calgary is always a bad experience - not surprising to hear they are unresponsive and boning you on the quote. I'll never forget when they didn't let me test drive an Sti there "because it had a turbo charger" but they let me drive a WRX :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How much is the free block worth? Might it still be cheaper to go completely though a 3rd party or trusted 'backyard' mechanic and not pay shop rates?

If you could get $14K+ for it from some idiot on Kijiji like the example posted above though, that seems like a no-brainer to at least try.

KRyn
03-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Good question, what kind of warranty was offered on your first replacement engine? When my old man had an engine replaced through Centaur they gave him 3 years or 70,000 kms if I remember correctly.

flipstah
03-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Do you have option to get it towed out and checked by Centaur, or will it be the same outcome?

pf0sh0
03-10-2017, 05:21 PM

When i had my 2011 and the rod bearing went, I had got it covered under warranty. I had to provide all my receipts since i got all my oil changes from VEX. I might have lucked out though, I have heard of Subaru being a pain on covering this issue.

And the quoted work was about $10k

Then after that I traded it in for a newer one... Since I didn't want to risk it!

Tik-Tok
03-10-2017, 06:23 PM

I must have missed this in my absence... what did you do to your R?

Edit: nevermind, caught up from your cptnslw thread. Poor bugger, RIP.

benyl
03-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Find a used long block.

Swapping the STi motor is easy. I could probably put one in in 2-3 hours.

zieg
03-10-2017, 08:35 PM
^ +1.

Alternatively, rally teams may be interested in the roller if they want to build another car.

RY213
03-12-2017, 12:59 PM
The Subaru dealers in this city are crooks. Your best bet is to get the car towed to Vex and see what they have to say. They will do a better job and charge less. Trust me, I learned this lesson the hard way. I'll never buy another Subaru again based on the poor service from Centaur and lack of support from Subaru Canada.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-12-2017, 01:32 PM
How many km are on the chassis now?

heavyD
03-12-2017, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by RY213
The Subaru dealers in this city are crooks. Your best bet is to get the car towed to Vex and see what they have to say. They will do a better job and charge less. Trust me, I learned this lesson the hard way. I'll never buy another Subaru again based on the poor service from Centaur and lack of support from Subaru Canada.

I got some shoddy service from one of our two dealers and in the follow up from Subaru Canada I asked why they do not evaluate the dealers in this city as Centaur's facility is a total embarrassment and Calgary Subaru is not a great setup. Why they couldn't sign up another dealer to build a modern facility and give Calgarians another option? I just don't get it. I can't recall another mainstream manufacturer that makes it so hard to own their vehicles because of the lack of accountability of their dealers. It's just a huge negative in this city when you are comparing cars. Unless the Subaru is head and shoulders the better car you are better off buying a Honda, Toyota, etc.

legendboy
03-12-2017, 01:52 PM
This "warranty issue" could be as simple as them needing a core back. I'd look into it.

But as already stated, if it were me it would be crate engine, used motor...etc get my dollars back out of the car.

craigcd
03-12-2017, 07:34 PM
What years is this common in? I have seen several similar posts on FB recently. I would be pissed....

zieg
03-13-2017, 07:08 AM
The first issues with cracked ringlands started appearing in 2007 models, with 09,12 WRX engines seeming to be the most talked about. Pre-07 engines had issues with the oil pickup tubes spontaneously falling off, and before that it was head gaskets. An aftermarket tune can actually help with the ringland issue (stock tune has a lean spot transitioning into boost that can cause detonation) but I'm not sure about spun bearings...

eb0i
03-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Subaru Calgary is always a bad experience - not surprising to hear they are unresponsive and boning you on the quote. I'll never forget when they didn't let me test drive an Sti there "because it had a turbo charger" but they let me drive a WRX :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How much is the free block worth? Might it still be cheaper to go completely though a 3rd party or trusted 'backyard' mechanic and not pay shop rates?

If you could get $14K+ for it from some idiot on Kijiji like the example posted above though, that seems like a no-brainer to at least try.

You are right, Subaru Calgary is so ass backwards when it comes to customer service and experience.

The only reason I brought it back to Subaru Calgary was because they did the warranty work on my second engine. Also because Subaru Calgary is closer to my house. If I knew I would get dick around for more than a month then I would have towed it Centaur.

For short block with a turbo I'm looking at about 2800. For a long block they are telling me it's worth anywhere between $11-14k

I spoke to Centaur last week and they told me to go the short block route and it would cost me about $8k to fix.

Tik-Tok
03-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Have you spoken to Vex or All makes?

eb0i
03-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
How many km are on the chassis now?

about 160,000 km.

eb0i
03-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Have you spoken to Vex or All makes?

I spoke to All Makes initially when my car broke down in Olds and got it towed straight to them.

They quoted me $8k for everything. They told me though that it might still be under warranty (and worth the try) and that's why I sent it Subaru Calgary.

Tik-Tok
03-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Well, like others have said, post it up FS on WSC, or NASIOC. Guaranteed someone will snap it up. A year ago, I probably would have.

craigcd
03-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by zieg
The first issues with cracked ringlands started appearing in 2007 models, with 09,12 WRX engines seeming to be the most talked about. Pre-07 engines had issues with the oil pickup tubes spontaneously falling off, and before that it was head gaskets. An aftermarket tune can actually help with the ringland issue (stock tune has a lean spot transitioning into boost that can cause detonation) but I'm not sure about spun bearings...

Have been fence sitting on a Subaru for years. Love the cars but the (potential) issues seem to outweigh the benefit to some extent.

g-m
03-13-2017, 05:00 PM
I'm looking to pick up a blown shortblock to rebuild on the side while I wait for mine to blow up.

Incidentally... What are you doing with the old shortblock?

zieg
03-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by craigcd

Have been fence sitting on a Subaru for years. Love the cars but the (potential) issues seem to outweigh the benefit to some extent.

If you don't own a track car there's not much benefit to owning a subaru I think. My STi was fun as hell to hoon, but a terrible dd. Now the dd is a truck that can tow a toy to the track...

djmr2
03-13-2017, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

HAHA they wouldn't let me test drive a BRZ alone because it was high performance vehicle!

FraserB
03-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by zieg

If you don't own a track car there's not much benefit to owning a subaru I think. My STi was fun as hell to hoon, but a terrible dd. Now the dd is a truck that can tow a toy to the track...

What would you buy in place of a Subaru then? Same size, with same features, only a DD and no track

eb0i
03-15-2017, 09:04 AM
After another week of discussions and waiting for a quote, I received a quote that was 65% less than what my service advisor was quoting verbally at $10k at Calgary Subaru. So I'm going to get it fixed.

Pray for my subie :burnout:

jacky4566
03-15-2017, 09:21 AM
After another week of discussions and waiting for a quote, I received a quote that was 65% less than what my service advisor was quoting verbally at $10k at Calgary Subaru. So I'm going to get it fixed.

Pray for my subie :burnout:

Glad to hear it! More Subis on the road.

Also I still want to hear zieg car suggestion for a sporty AWD.