PDA

View Full Version : Need 7 Seater SUV

afrotl
03-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Hi guys, I need your recommendations in regards to a 7 seater SUV. I originally had a 2008 Mitsu Outlander XLS and unfortunately I just got it written off this morning.
I am looking for your opinions as to what is comparable to the Mitsu. Not sure what the insurance company is going to give me for my old car but I thought I will start my research and see what my options are.

So far I was thinking of a 2012 Mitsu or a Toyota Highlander.

ExtraSlow
03-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Honda Odyssey is far superior. SUVs suck. :poosie:

djmr2
03-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Lexus LX570!

afrotl
03-10-2017, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Honda Odyssey is far superior. SUVs suck. :poosie:
Lol not a van kind of guy.

flipstah
03-10-2017, 05:55 PM
QX80 or a giant Suburban

bourge73
03-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Expedition !

afrotl
03-10-2017, 05:58 PM
The QX80 and LX570 are a bit large compared to the Mitsu

carson blocks
03-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Kia Sorento has a 7 passenger option, should be about the same size, is reasonably priced, and isn't a Mitsubishi.

craigcd
03-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by afrotl

Lol not a van kind of guy.

Do you use all 7 seats all the time? Van would be alot easier if so.....

But ya, its a van haha

Kloubek
03-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Cx9. Really liked mine, and quite sporty for a vehicle of its size.

A2VR6
03-10-2017, 08:13 PM
2014 MDX?

dj_rice
03-10-2017, 09:45 PM
GL350/450?

afrotl
03-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
Kia Sorento has a 7 passenger option, should be about the same size, is reasonably priced, and isn't a Mitsubishi. ,

Thanks I will do some reviews on the Sorento

afrotl
03-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Cx9. Really liked mine, and quite sporty for a vehicle of its size.
What year?

afrotl
03-10-2017, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by craigcd

Do you use all 7 seats all the time? Van would be alot easier if so.....

But ya, its a van haha

No I use the 3rd row about once or twice a month.

danno
03-10-2017, 10:41 PM
I've been thinking about a mdx, q7, gl, or pilot. I flip flop on brand all the time but I'm leaning towards mdx lately.

soloracer
03-10-2017, 11:48 PM
The new Mazda CX9 has a wicked high end looking interior. If your budget was higher I would look at a Volvo XC90

SJW
03-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Toyota Highlander

Maxt
03-11-2017, 07:55 AM
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/dodge/durango/2018/2018-dodge-durango-srt-first-look-review/

craigcd
03-11-2017, 08:00 AM

No I use the 3rd row about once or twice a month.

Same here. We have a 7 seater Honda Pilot now, bit hard on gas but feels alot safer compared to our CRV.

flipstah
03-11-2017, 08:35 AM
XC90 is nice third row but trunk space is so so

ExtraSlow
03-11-2017, 08:51 AM
A lot of people dismiss vans, but honestly, they are awesome. Way more interior space than any SUV. Nice to drive (at least compared to three-row SUVs), good fuel economy. If you are using that rear seat twice a month, I predict a van would serve you well.

Buy good winter tires and you don't need AWD either.

bjstare
03-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Lexus GX460. Still 7 seater, smaller than LX570. Bulletproof.

SOAB
03-11-2017, 01:49 PM
VW has the new Atlas coming out that is a 7 seater.

alanaround
03-11-2017, 01:59 PM
latest Sorrento looks pretty good inside. We cross-shopped this and the Santa Fe and I prefered the Sorrento. Explorer is also something we looked at.

If you aren't in a complete rush, you could always tour the auto-show that's coming this week to sit in a few and get the general feel of what the space is like. Also I believe VW will have their Atlas there.

Cody D
03-11-2017, 02:09 PM
We had a 2015 Acura MDX and it was a great vehicle, we switched to a new Jeep GC mostly because I prefer Jeeps. I know my wife regrets the change and would have preferred to keep the MDX.

That.Guy.S30
03-11-2017, 03:02 PM
New nissan armada is out too. It's the nissan patrol from overseas.

Kloubek
03-11-2017, 04:51 PM

What year?

Well mine was a 2007, but I wouldn't recommend that year since they had some transfer case issues, and the engine gained some horsepower in 2008. Other than that, there were virtually no noticeable changes until something like 2013 - but even then it was really just cosmetic exterior changes. They kept the interior through to the new model.

Yes, the new CX9 is an entirely different beast than the one I am talking about, but being that you are coming from a 2008 Mitsu, I imagine you're looking around a cheaper price point so that's why the 2008+ CX9 will fit your needs.

I found the V6 engine to be peppy (0-60 under 8 seconds), the interior to be nicely designed and bordering on luxurious, and the handling to be far better than you would expect for a vehicle of it's size. The 3rd row actually fits adults - though it is indeed snug. Far better than the flimsy 3rd row I think your vehicle had?

Someone else suggested the MDX. If having the same vehicles as scores of others and that rather peculiar headlight configuration doesn't bother you, then those are excellent too. Even more sporting than the CX9. You pay a bit more though since they command a premium.

If, by chance, you do decide to look at CX9's, go for the GT version for sure, and check the trim panel above the license place on the liftgate to make sure it hasn't rubbed against the metal and created rust. Other than that, there are few known issues on the 2008+.

max_boost
03-11-2017, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
A lot of people dismiss vans, but honestly, they are awesome. Way more interior space than any SUV. Nice to drive (at least compared to three-row SUVs), good fuel economy. If you are using that rear seat twice a month, I predict a van would serve you well.

Buy good winter tires and you don't need AWD either. agreed nothing really beats a van. but sometimes ya wanna look pimp and it's hard to look :bigpimp: in a van unless ya do some modding.

gpomp
03-11-2017, 11:23 PM
Is it just me or do the new MDX and Q7 look like minivans from the back? I'm sure some point in the future, Acura or Audi will just start putting sliding doors on these crossovers. :dunno:

CarnewsViews
03-12-2017, 12:58 AM
Check out the New Volvo XC90, great looks,tech and build quailty~
and a 3rd row if you need it

Aleks
03-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
Is it just me or do the new MDX and Q7 look like minivans from the back? I'm sure some point in the future, Acura or Audi will just start putting sliding doors on these crossovers. :dunno:

They both look like minivans from any angle. They have been lowered and have that van boxy look.

https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/WIHiDasOTQHmdD6wsW0vmY3aqzE=/fit-in/970x0/2016/03/20/442d5d20-9074-40bb-9072-5bc99899e814/2017-acura-mdx-2.jpg

http://article.images.consumerreports.org/prod/content/dam/cro/news_articles/cars/2017-Audi-Q7-f-1-2016-Cars-II.png

afrotl
03-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by danno
I've been thinking about a mdx, q7, gl, or pilot. I flip flop on brand all the time but I'm leaning towards mdx lately.
I thought about the Pilot but was advised against it cos of the fuel consumption.

2014 MDX?
It only takes premium fuel though.

GL350/450?
Nice rides but maybe a bit too rich for my blood.

The new Mazda CX9 has a wicked high end looking interior. If your budget was higher I would look at a Volvo XC90
I was looking at the new 2017 CX9 they are nice. Yeah the Volvo is nice too but you are right a bit high on the finance side.

Toyota Highlander
That is definitely on my list

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/dodg...st-look-review/
Sweet ride

Buy good winter tires and you don't need AWD either.
Can't see myself in an Mini Van lol just not for me.

Got to take a look at the GX460 didn't even think of that

latest Sorrento looks pretty good inside. We cross-shopped this and the Santa Fe and I prefered the Sorrento. Explorer is also something we looked at.

If you aren't in a complete rush, you could always tour the auto-show that's coming this week to sit in a few and get the general feel of what the space is like. Also I believe VW will have their Atlas there.
I will take a trip to the car show and see what they have

Well mine was a 2007, but I wouldn't recommend that year since they had some transfer case issues, and the engine gained some horsepower in 2008. Other than that, there were virtually no noticeable changes until something like 2013 - but even then it was really just cosmetic exterior changes. They kept the interior through to the new model.

Yes, the new CX9 is an entirely different beast than the one I am talking about, but being that you are coming from a 2008 Mitsu, I imagine you're looking around a cheaper price point so that's why the 2008+ CX9 will fit your needs.

I found the V6 engine to be peppy (0-60 under 8 seconds), the interior to be nicely designed and bordering on luxurious, and the handling to be far better than you would expect for a vehicle of it's size. The 3rd row actually fits adults - though it is indeed snug. Far better than the flimsy 3rd row I think your vehicle had?
Someone else suggested the MDX. If having the same vehicles as scores of others and that rather peculiar headlight configuration doesn't bother you, then those are excellent too. Even more sporting than the CX9. You pay a bit more though since they command a premium.
If, by chance, you do decide to look at CX9's, go for the GT version for sure, and check the trim panel above the license place on the liftgate to make sure it hasn't rubbed against the metal and created rust. Other than that, there are few known issues on the 2008+.
I will look at reviews on the 2008+ and see what the known issues are.

afrotl
03-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

They both look like minivans from any angle. They have been lowered and have that van boxy look.

https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/WIHiDasOTQHmdD6wsW0vmY3aqzE=/fit-in/970x0/2016/03/20/442d5d20-9074-40bb-9072-5bc99899e814/2017-acura-mdx-2.jpg

http://article.images.consumerreports.org/prod/content/dam/cro/news_articles/cars/2017-Audi-Q7-f-1-2016-Cars-II.png

You are right....lol

afrotl
03-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
agreed nothing really beats a van. but sometimes ya wanna look pimp and it's hard to look :bigpimp: in a van unless ya do some modding.
Hahaha you are right it's hard to look pimping in a van.

danno
03-12-2017, 02:54 PM
I like both the Audi and Acura haha must be getting old.

bjstare
03-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Just an FYI, unless you do a ton of driving, the incremental cost of premium fuel is probably only a few hundred bucks per year. That probably should place pretty low on the hierarchy of importance for things that are influencing your choice :dunno:

afrotl
03-12-2017, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by danno
I like both the Audi and Acura haha must be getting old.
I have always owned Acura's, first the EL and the TL but when I was in the market for the SUV. The Mitsu was more in my price range.

afrotl
03-12-2017, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
Just an FYI, unless you do a ton of driving, the incremental cost of premium fuel is probably only a few hundred bucks per year. That probably should place pretty low on the hierarchy of importance for things that are influencing your choice :dunno:
I do drive to work every day about 64 km in total and drive to Okotoks and Airdrie at least once a month.

btimbit
03-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Got a Santa Fe in November and absolutely love the thing

afrotl
03-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Got a Santa Fe in November and absolutely love the thing
I will add it to my list to review..Thanks.

jwslam
03-13-2017, 08:02 AM
I do drive to work every day about 64 km in total and drive to Okotoks and Airdrie at least once a month.
Sounds like you need a cheap daily and a nice SUV for when you actually need 7 seats.

Kloubek
03-13-2017, 08:19 AM
I will look at reviews on the 2008+ and see what the known issues are.

Well, when I said "few" I mean I don't believe there are any significant issues. Bearings wear out quicker than normal - that's about it.

botox
03-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
+1 for MDX because you can't beat them for reliability if that's what you want but yeah it takes premium and is a bit of a pig on gas. We have a 2013 and best hwy mileage I got was 10.9L/100km and that was doing a consistent 110-120km/hr from Calgary to Edmonton with cruise control. I even reset the average as soon as we got on the highway so the city driving wouldn't affect the average. City driving you are looking at 15-17L/100km. 3rd row isn't the easiest to get in to and can be a pain for adults so we tell the kids to get in the 3rd row if we ever have to use it.

afrotl
03-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

Sounds like you need a cheap daily and a nice SUV for when you actually need 7 seats.

Wish I could go that route but for now I will have to do with one vehicle.

afrotl
03-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by botox

+1 for MDX because you can't beat them for reliability if that's what you want but yeah it takes premium and is a bit of a pig on gas. We have a 2013 and best hwy mileage I got was 10.9L/100km and that was doing a consistent 110-120km/hr from Calgary to Edmonton with cruise control. I even reset the average as soon as we got on the highway so the city driving wouldn't affect the average. City driving you are looking at 15-17L/100km. 3rd row isn't the easiest to get in to and can be a pain for adults so we tell the kids to get in the 3rd row if we ever have to use it.

The Mitsu 3rd row was a pain to get into as well and it was only viable for the kids. Looks like it will be a bit of a pain with the gas.

rage2
03-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

Wish I could go that route but for now I will have to do with one vehicle.
Just stick with 1 vehicle for your primary driving purpose (commute) and rent a minivan or SUV the odd time that you need it.

We rent out a minivan yearly for the family road trip, $1000/month unlimited kms.

eb0i
03-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Just bought a 2017 Highlander XLE, didn't go SE package. XLE gives you room for 8, SE takes away middle bench and replaces it with captain seats and gives you seating for 7. SE package is also just bigger rims and things like rails were painted black (not worth it).

I also looked at the Pathfinder Limited and it worked out to be almost $5k cheaper when compared to the top models of the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander. The CVT as outstanding (so smooth) and the jump seats in the back were actually really comfortable and functional (as opposed to other 7-8 seater SUVS). Only reason I didn't go with the Pathfinder is I didn't want to go Nissan and preferred Toyota.

I also looked at a 2016 Touareg Comfort line and it didn't respond as well as I would like and didn't have all the new safety features that 2017s come with. Plus the pricing was very high.

afrotl
03-13-2017, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Just stick with 1 vehicle for your primary driving purpose (commute) and rent a minivan or SUV the odd time that you need it.

We rent out a minivan yearly for the family road trip, $1000/month unlimited kms.

Did I read that correctly $1000/month?

afrotl
03-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
Just bought a 2017 Highlander XLE, didn't go SE package. XLE gives you room for 8, SE takes away middle bench and replaces it with captain seats and gives you seating for 7. SE package is also just bigger rims and things like rails were painted black (not worth it).

I also looked at the Pathfinder Limited and it worked out to be almost $5k cheaper when compared to the top models of the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander. The CVT as outstanding (so smooth) and the jump seats in the back were actually really comfortable and functional (as opposed to other 7-8 seater SUVS). Only reason I didn't go with the Pathfinder is I didn't want to go Nissan and preferred Toyota.

I also looked at a 2016 Touareg Comfort line and it didn't respond as well as I would like and didn't have all the new safety features that 2017s come with. Plus the pricing was very high.

The highlander is definitely on my list, didn't consider the Pathfinder but now I will take a closer look.

r3ccOs
03-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Highlander/RX350, Pilot, MDX FTW

Pathfinder has issues with the CVT

Toureg, Durango and Cherokee are overpriced and the dodges/heeps are imo unreliable

Another series are the Traverse/Acadia which are an exceptional value and have shown to be quite reliable

if you can tolerate the gas, the new Expedition with the 2nd gen ECO or the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade with either the 5.3 or 6.2 are going to be solid choices

heard great things about sorrento, santafe XL and CX9, but I'm not sure they are in the class for reliablity or resale when compared to yota/Honda

r3ccOs
03-13-2017, 11:32 PM

The highlander is definitely on my list, didn't consider the Pathfinder but now I will take a closer look.

there is a reason why the pathfinders are showing up so discounted on the used market... the CVT just doesn't hold up and I don't even know anyone other than Nissan that has kept with it

Aleks
03-14-2017, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
agreed nothing really beats a van. but sometimes ya wanna look pimp and it's hard to look :bigpimp: in a van unless ya do some modding.

Can't remember last time I thought to myself, daaaaamn, that soccer dad looks so pimp in his sweet Highlander/Pilot :rofl:

Cayenne, X5M, Jeep GC SRT maybe...

s_havinga
03-14-2017, 08:39 AM
We had a Jeep commander- it was a unique 7 seater with a real off road type feel to it. We have 3 kids and it started to feel a little small. Sold it and bought a Sequoia and love it. Plenty of room for the kids and can fit a hockey bag in the back.

Both options have horrible fuel economy but for the extra room in the Sequoia it's worth it

eb0i
03-14-2017, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

there is a reason why the pathfinders are showing up so discounted on the used market... the CVT just doesn't hold up and I don't even know anyone other than Nissan that has kept with it

Hmmmm I totally didn't know that about the CVT. It was amazingly smooth when I drove it, couldn't even feel the shifting.

eb0i
03-14-2017, 09:02 AM

Might as well try it and see for yourself. The back jump seats are the most functional out of all of them.

Also there is a waiting list for the Highlander, so if you need it soon it will be tough.

mzdspd
03-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by eb0i

Hmmmm I totally didn't know that about the CVT. It was amazingly smooth when I drove it, couldn't even feel the shifting.

CVT's do not shift.. They use a steel belt and adjust rpm with a tensioner.

But the main reason that Pathfinders have issues with the CVT is due to heavy towing.. They are rated for 5000 lbs. but I would not tow anywhere near that because the heat causes issues with the CVT.

flipstah
03-14-2017, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

Can't remember last time I thought to myself, daaaaamn, that soccer dad looks so pimp in his sweet Highlander/Pilot :rofl:

Cayenne, X5M, Jeep GC SRT maybe...

http://www.airsociety.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/toyota-sienna-auto-customs-bagged-air-ride-suspension-stance-slammed-van-feature.jpg

Would rock 100%

eb0i
03-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by mzdspd

CVT's do not shift.. They use a steel belt and adjust rpm with a tensioner.

But the main reason that Pathfinders have issues with the CVT is due to heavy towing.. They are rated for 5000 lbs. but I would not tow anywhere near that because the heat causes issues with the CVT.

Haha I guess that is why it was so smooth. Good to know!

Kloubek
03-14-2017, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by s_havinga
We had a Jeep commander-
Both options have horrible fuel economy

You know, I picked up a Hemi Grand Cherokee as my winter beater, and expected far worse economy. Because it shuts off half the cylinders under light throttle, if I baby it on the highway I can squeeze out about 10-10.5 l/100k. (Or about 22-23 mpg). Not bad for 330hp/375tq.

afrotl
03-14-2017, 11:55 AM
Highlander/RX350, Pilot, MDX FTW

Pathfinder has issues with the CVT

Toureg, Durango and Cherokee are overpriced and the dodges/heeps are imo unreliable

Another series are the Traverse/Acadia which are an exceptional value and have shown to be quite reliable

if you can tolerate the gas, the new Expedition with the 2nd gen ECO or the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade with either the 5.3 or 6.2 are going to be solid choices

heard great things about sorrento, santafe XL and CX9, but I'm not sure they are in the class for reliablity or resale when compared to yota/Honda

The cx9 looking good so far. Dont think the RX350 has a 3rd row.

afrotl
03-14-2017, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the heads up ..i saw that on the reviews.

bh87
03-14-2017, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

+1, love mine.

PM me if you need a contact person at Lexus, a family member works in management at Royal Oak.

afrotl
03-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by bh87

+1, love mine.

PM me if you need a contact person at Lexus, a family member works in management at Royal Oak.

Thanks I will for sure when I am ready. What year is yours?

Mitsu3000gt
03-14-2017, 01:42 PM
I very recently drove the following 7-seaters:

Kia Sorento (Santa Fe): Really nice vehicle. 2.0T feels a lot better than the V6 and works better with the transmission. Full of technology. Great interior, easily on par with the competition. Drove nice, just generally a good vehicle. Only thing I would be worried about is residuals/resale. If you can get over the Kia brand name, it really is quite a nice vehicle. Looks good too IMO. I think a lot of people don't even bother looking at it because it's a Kia but they might be missing out.

Honda Pilot: I was shocked at how crappy the interior was. Cheap, hard plastic absolutely everywhere. Everything felt cheap. I couldn't believe that $50K non-American vehicle was appointed like this. The Touring model was slightly better, but still very disappointing IMHO. Other than that it drove nice and had all the features you'd want. It felt big. Kind of a boring, uninteresting vehicle but you are guaranteed the usual level of reliability and resale.

Mazda CX9: By far the best interior. I was really surprised how good it was. We were in a 2015 X5 previously and everyone thought the Mazda's interior was put together significantly better. Looks really good for this year IMO, kind of like a XC90. It felt under-powered, inexplicably has no Android/Apple Auto in 2017, and you can't use the climate controls while in park but other than that we really liked it. The drive was great as was the transmission. It would be on the short list I think, if we could find a Mazda dealer that was OK to deal with (I always hear horror stories...)

Haven't driven a MDX recently but I remember them being overall the nicest to drive with the SH-AWD. Really good residuals/resale as well. Very safe choice, can't go wrong. Will probably drive one soon.

Also +1 for minivans. Aside from the soccer mom stigma, they are honestly amazing. They drive great, are decent on gas, have super easy access for all seats, have more room than any comparable SUV, and have lots of cool features. I feel like everyone shops for an SUV, looking for the one closest to minivan spec haha.

Still need to try the Highlander.

Didn't even bother looking at Durango again. Very overpriced and I don't know many people who would buy a Dodge these days with how strong the competition is.

bh87
03-14-2017, 02:06 PM

Thanks I will for sure when I am ready. What year is yours?

Mine is a 2014, the GX received a facelift for 2013MY and still has the same look currently. Packages and standard options have changed throughout the years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy my GX again, it is and has everything that I wanted.

afrotl
03-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I very recently drove the following 7-seaters:

Kia Sorento (Santa Fe): Really nice vehicle. 2.0T feels a lot better than the V6 and works better with the transmission. Full of technology. Great interior, easily on par with the competition. Drove nice, just generally a good vehicle. Only thing I would be worried about is residuals/resale. If you can get over the Kia brand name, it really is quite a nice vehicle. Looks good too IMO. I think a lot of people don't even bother looking at it because it's a Kia but they might be missing out.

Honda Pilot: I was shocked at how crappy the interior was. Cheap, hard plastic absolutely everywhere. Everything felt cheap. I couldn't believe that $50K non-American vehicle was appointed like this. The Touring model was slightly better, but still very disappointing IMHO. Other than that it drove nice and had all the features you'd want. It felt big. Kind of a boring, uninteresting vehicle but you are guaranteed the usual level of reliability and resale.

Mazda CX9: By far the best interior. I was really surprised how good it was. We were in a 2015 X5 previously and everyone thought the Mazda's interior was put together significantly better. Looks really good for this year IMO, kind of like a XC90. It felt under-powered, inexplicably has no Android/Apple Auto in 2017, and you can't use the climate controls while in park but other than that we really liked it. The drive was great as was the transmission. It would be on the short list I think, if we could find a Mazda dealer that was OK to deal with (I always hear horror stories...)

Haven't driven a MDX recently but I remember them being overall the nicest to drive with the SH-AWD. Really good residuals/resale as well. Very safe choice, can't go wrong. Will probably drive one soon.

Also +1 for minivans. Aside from the soccer mom stigma, they are honestly amazing. They drive great, are decent on gas, have super easy access for all seats, have more room than any comparable SUV, and have lots of cool features. I feel like everyone shops for an SUV, looking for the one closest to minivan spec haha.

Still need to try the Highlander.

Didn't even bother looking at Durango again. Very overpriced and I don't know many people who would buy a Dodge these days with how strong the competition is.

Yeah I am hearing great things about the Kia and you are right when I hear Kia I feel like meh. But I will go test drive one. The CX9 has received good reviews and is on my list.
Yes to me the Pilot is not on top of my list.
MDX ok if I get a good deal but a bit weary about the 3rd row seats.

afrotl
03-14-2017, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by bh87

Mine is a 2014, the GX received a facelift for 2013MY and still has the same look currently. Packages and standard options have changed throughout the years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy my GX again, it is and has everything that I wanted.
Cool I will take a look at one as well.

StairQuesadilla
03-14-2017, 07:30 PM
The CX9 Signature is a nice looking car. Didn't get to drive one myself but our salesman gave us a test ride in one. Engine and transmission seemed really smooth.

FWIW I had a decent experience at North Hill Mazda. I think Sunridge Mazda and Kramer are under the same ownership.

gpomp
03-14-2017, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by StairQuesadilla
The CX9 Signature is a nice looking car. Didn't get to drive one myself but our salesman gave us a test ride in one. Engine and transmission seemed really smooth.

FWIW I had a decent experience at North Hill Mazda. I think Sunridge Mazda and Kramer are under the same ownership. The salesman didn't let you drive?

afrotl
03-15-2017, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by s_havinga
We had a Jeep commander- it was a unique 7 seater with a real off road type feel to it. We have 3 kids and it started to feel a little small. Sold it and bought a Sequoia and love it. Plenty of room for the kids and can fit a hockey bag in the back.

Both options have horrible fuel economy but for the extra room in the Sequoia it's worth it

The Sequoia looks nice but I am leaning more towards a midsize.

StairQuesadilla
03-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
The salesman didn't let you drive?

It wasn't the car I was purchasing lol. The CX9 had just arrived and we were waiting for the finance manager so he offered to give us a ride in it to kill some time.

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2017, 09:41 AM
One thing I'll mention is the sales experience at Eastside Kia was a joke. Maybe more dealerships work like this and they just hide it better. First, they sat us down in the office and asked us a bunch of annoying, pointless, survey-like questions, etc. Wasted a full 15-20 min of our time, and then the salesperson had to go 'present' that info to the manager like they were 8 years old while we waited another 5-10 minutes. Now that they have built this completely useless 'profile' on us, we were able to go on some test drives. After that, the manager then came to talk to us like he'd known us forever based on the info given prior, asked if there was anything he could do to sell us the car today, and the whole thing just came off as very sleazy. No other dealership we went to that day did anything even remotely close to that. Oh and they kept referring to the Autonomous features as "Anonymous" Cruise Control, "Anonymous" Braking, etc. :rofl: At least read the brochure on the vehicle you're trying to sell...

carson blocks
03-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Yeah Eastside Kia and Eastside Dodge are part of the same dealer group, and both are the scum of the earth in my opinion. They hire the sleaziest sales and finance managers and pull all the old school car sales trickery. I won't consider a vehicle at any McManes group dealership.

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Yeah Eastside Kia and Eastside Dodge are part of the same dealer group, and both are the scum of the earth in my opinion. They hire the sleaziest sales and finance managers and pull all the old school car sales trickery. I won't consider a vehicle at any McManes group dealership.

Everyone working there looked like they were hating life, hunched over in their offices scrolling on their phones waiting for customers which on a Saturday afternoon were few and far between. The employees had to report everything to the manager like little kids in a classroom, and ask the manager before they did ANYTHING, it seemed so degrading. We drove 3 different Sorentos and before each drive, the salesperson had to go sit down with the manager for ~3-5 mins, presumably to get permission, again like a little kid asking their parents if they could do something.

The salesperson was OK, I have nothing bad to say about them except they need to at least put some effort into understanding the product they wanted to sell. I got the sense they would have been better under different management.

We did really like the Sorento, but the full Kia sales experience would probably be excruciating.

afrotl
03-15-2017, 11:29 AM

Good to know I will make sure I avoid those dealerships.

Masked Bandit
03-15-2017, 04:08 PM
One thing that works well in Kia / Hyundai's favour is the fact that their warranty is 5 year / 100,000 KM whereas most others are 3/60. We're almost four years and 85,000 KM into our Santa Fe XL and it's been trouble free. A couple of stupid little electronic things fixed on warranty so far and that's it. Gas & go!

afrotl
03-15-2017, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
One thing that works well in Kia / Hyundai's favour is the fact that their warranty is 5 year / 100,000 KM whereas most others are 3/60. We're almost four years and 85,000 KM into our Santa Fe XL and it's been trouble free. A couple of stupid little electronic things fixed on warranty so far and that's it. Gas & go!
Yeah that is true...one of the reasons I went with a Mitsu the first time.

afrotl
03-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Ok so I narrowed it down to the following and in no particular order.

2009-2010 Mazda cx9 gt
2008 MDX SH AWD
2009 Toyota Highlander 4WD 4dr V6 Limited

max_boost
03-23-2017, 06:42 PM

2009-2010 Mazda cx9 gt
2008 MDX SH AWD

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/402271/fs-2010-acura-mdx-technology-package/

r3ccOs
03-23-2017, 07:03 PM

2009-2010 Mazda cx9 gt
2008 MDX SH AWD

my brother has an 08 MDX (as well as an RS7 :P) and still likes it

its low maintenance and still IMO one of the best looking 7 seaters

afrotl
03-23-2017, 08:40 PM

my brother has an 08 MDX (as well as an RS7 :P) and still likes it

its low maintenance and still IMO one of the best looking 7 seaters
Yeah they are nice.

afrotl
04-11-2017, 08:40 PM
So I am down to two choices and I need help in determining which one is a better value. Both are 2011 Mazda CX 9 GT

1. 92,000km, comes with everything including headrest DVD, but no Nav asking price $19,885.00 all in
2. 72,000km comes with everything including Nav but no headrest DVD and no sunroof asking price $18,888.00 not negotiated a price yet.

Looking to take both of them for a mechanical inspection this weekend.

What do you guys think?

FraserB
04-11-2017, 09:05 PM
I'd go lower KM with Nav for the lower price and add a DVD system if it was really needed.

ExtraSlow
04-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Headrest DVD is stupid. Buy tablets for kids in back seat, cheaper, and better.

Redlyne_mr2
04-11-2017, 10:01 PM
new VW atlas :)

afrotl
04-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Yeah I am leaning towards the one with less kms. Hopefully the mechanical checks out good.

afrotl
04-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
new VW atlas :)

Lol if you will sell it to me For about $18,000.00 I will get one.

Masked Bandit
04-12-2017, 08:58 AM
Lower KMs for sure. 20,000 KM difference is a whole year of driving.

afrotl
04-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Lower KMs for sure. 20,000 KM difference is a whole year of driving.
Yes and asking price is lower as well.

eb0i
04-17-2017, 11:28 AM
So I am down to two choices and I need help in determining which one is a better value. Both are 2011 Mazda CX 9 GT

1. 92,000km, comes with everything including headrest DVD, but no Nav asking price $19,885.00 all in
2. 72,000km comes with everything including Nav but no headrest DVD and no sunroof asking price $18,888.00 not negotiated a price yet.

Looking to take both of them for a mechanical inspection this weekend.

What do you guys think?

Option 2 for sure. Like another poster above me said, 20,000 km difference is a whole year of driving. Plus the price point before negotiation is already good too!

afrotl
04-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately back to square one the second option got sold.

jacky4566
04-17-2017, 12:54 PM
New Subaru Ascent looks sweet. Too bad its going to be gutless with a 2.4.

afrotl
04-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Now looking at a 2013 Mitsubishi outlander XLS with 62 km for $17,950

mzdspd
04-17-2017, 04:40 PM
I would go back to option 1 then..

An Outlander is really not that great when compared to a CX9