PDA

View Full Version : New garage construction

SmAcKpOo
03-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Anyone have experience with garage builders in the city?

Can someone guess as to what a standard 24x24 garage would cost in the current market.

I have reached out to a couple companies in Calgary but they all want to come on site and do an assessment but my timeline for the build is late summer/early fall and I don't want to waste their time for something that may or may not happen at all.

If anyone has experience with a builder, can you tell me how it went? cost, service, quality, etc.

Thanks.

jeffh
03-23-2017, 10:02 AM
My neighbour had a 24x24 built last year. The contractor stapled a an ad to the corner of the garage that read "this can be yours for 19k.

Rarasaurus
03-23-2017, 10:08 AM
Very basic 18g - 20g.
Add concrete curb walls, 2x6 walls, insulation, drywall, heater, additional electrical etc can add 10g+.

Dave P
03-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Built Last Summer

A790
03-23-2017, 11:04 AM
Raintree Contracting has a garage package (https://raintreecontracting.com/garage-packages/) that should fit the bill for around $22k, though I'm sure you could work on the price.

If you're interested in going that route, PM me and I'll get in touch with Kyle (owner) and let him know you're going to be reach out soon :)

jwslam
03-23-2017, 11:16 AM
No comments on the construction but about the size:
Go 26 wide if you can. We squeezed 3 cars into my parents' even with shelving along one side

jwslam
03-23-2017, 11:18 AM
Photo

Dave P
03-23-2017, 11:48 AM
26 would be nice.

I was told if its over 24, you have to get engineered blue prints for the pad, and thats like another 5-10g? Dont know if its true or not

Rarasaurus
03-23-2017, 11:54 AM
It is true.

Two-storey garages and garages constructed with masonry veneer or concrete must have foundation walls and footings 1.2 m (minimum) below grade around the perimeter, OR the design of the foundation must be signed and sealed by an engineer licensed to practise in the province of Alberta. It is recommended that garages over 55 m2 (approximately 592 ft2) in building area meet these same requirements. That is anything over 24x24 essentially.

Anything over 800 requires development permit + building permit. That is > 28x28.

Prelude_dude
03-27-2017, 12:31 PM
Random side thought.

I had my garage built by the builder; and I never got it dry walled. There is probably like 50 nails sticking through the plywood in between the studs; is this normal? The nails are sticking out by probably 1-1.5 inches and just completely exposed.

I haven't gotten around to clipping them yet; but just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks

Rarasaurus
03-27-2017, 12:35 PM
I would not clip them. Those are the nails holding on your siding. It is normal.

jwslam
03-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Yea I think it's standard to just bend the nails rather than clip them.

SOAB
03-27-2017, 02:46 PM
i don't think i'd even bother bending them down. I'd just throw some insulation over it, vapour barrier it and call it a day. drywall if you really want it.

C_Dave45
03-27-2017, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
Yea I think it's standard to just bend the nails rather than clip them.
Do NOT do this!!! :facepalm:
By doing that you will pull the nail head in tight against the nailing track of the vinyl siding. That will prevent the vinyl from moving when it expands/contracts with changing temperatures. If you've ever seen a siding job where the vinyl is all rippling it's because of improper install and the nails were driven in tight. The siding is supposed to be able to slide back and forth a little.
Just leave them. Put your insulation in and VB like SOAB suggests.

JfuckinC
03-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Anyone have standard package prices for just material? I can only find them for Windsor plywood online.

Going to build my own this summer hopefully if work keeps busy enough to fund it. Fingers crossed... (sorry for the hijack :D )

jwslam
03-27-2017, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Today i learned...

ExtraSlow
03-27-2017, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Anyone have standard package prices for just material? I can only find them for Windsor plywood online.

Going to build my own this summer hopefully if work keeps busy enough to fund it. Fingers crossed... (sorry for the hijack :D )
Go to one of the former Totem, now Rona locations. They do garage packages all the time.

90_Shelby
03-27-2017, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
26 would be nice.

I was told if its over 24, you have to get engineered blue prints for the pad, and thats like another 5-10g? Dont know if its true or not

I built a 40' x 20'. No engineered blueprints required.

HomespunLobster
03-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Built my own garage, had pad poured by a concrete company.

24x24, 10 ft walls, 2x4 walls (I should have just went with 2x6, to late now), insulated, OSB sheeted and painted white walls (So they don't fall apart whenever I smash things into the wall) electric (220V 60AMP), retarded amount of electrical plugs and lighting, gas heater, epoxied floors, Just under $20,000.

The only thing I didn't do myself was concrete, electrical and gas line. Dug the trenches myself though.

Prelude_dude
03-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

By doing that you will pull the nail head in tight against the nailing track of the vinyl siding. That will prevent the vinyl from moving when it expands/contracts with changing temperatures. If you've ever seen a siding job where the vinyl is all rippling it's because of improper install and the nails were driven in tight. The siding is supposed to be able to slide back and forth a little.
Just leave them. Put your insulation in and VB like SOAB suggests.

At this point right now i am probably going to do insulation and VB.... is it bad to cut it down half way? I just want to get rid of the pointy end if anything.

Rarasaurus
03-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
Built my own garage, had pad poured by a concrete company.

24x24, 10 ft walls, 2x4 walls (I should have just went with 2x6, to late now), insulated, OSB sheeted and painted white walls (So they don't fall apart whenever I smash things into the wall) electric (220V 60AMP), retarded amount of electrical plugs and lighting, gas heater, epoxied floors, Just under $20,000.

The only thing I didn't do myself was concrete, electrical and gas line. Dug the trenches myself though.

What did you do for epoxy floors? How is it holding up? Cost?

C_Dave45
03-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Prelude_dude

At this point right now i am probably going to do insulation and VB.... is it bad to cut it down half way? I just want to get rid of the pointy end if anything.
Why bother? They're going to be covered by 4" of insulation. You've probably got a few thousand of them. They're roofing nails...it's not like you're going to be able to just clip them like a fingernail.
No one does that.

leftwing
05-07-2017, 10:09 PM
Small bump

I am entertaining the idea of either building my garage myself or GC'ing it. Got one quote for a full build (24x24 approx but not square) with a full stucco finish (expensive - $6000) for around $32,000. This includes everything (permits, concrete, framing, finish, electric sub panel, GST) but does NOT include insulation and drywall finish. I think the quote is pretty on par with what I expected but I know I can save a considerable amount by doing majority myself.

My one concern about GC'ing the build is that I do not have a square lot so my garage will not be square in order to utilize the space. I have no idea how to measure the out the concrete pad in order to ensure I don't end up to close to the property lines or break any by-laws.

Is my best bet to try and hire a garage builder to get my pad done, and I will take it from there? Would concrete companies have any expertise in this area or will they just crib and pour what I ask.

Any help is appreciated.

FraserB
05-07-2017, 10:28 PM
I would just have the property lines surveyed, have utilities located, calculate your total square footage based on your RPR and lay it out yourself.

The city is actually pretty helpful when it comes to codes and building requirements, they are very willing to answer questions.