PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Claim Question

afrotl
03-23-2017, 06:59 PM
Need your opinions in regard to what are considered enhancements. I got an offer from the insurance company and I want to make sure I am getting a fair deal.
2008 Mitsu XLS with 172km got written off
Cost of repair $9,600
Insurance offering 11,500
I added a back up camera, compustar remote alarm/stater

speedog
03-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Maybe a few more details, fairly difficult to state an opinion when you aren't providing any details.

afrotl
03-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Maybe a few more details, fairly difficult to state an opinion when you aren't providing any details.

More details added

dj_rice
03-23-2017, 09:49 PM
Well theres 3 on Kijiji

08 with 120K $10750K looks all stock

08 with 160K, trailer hitch,2 sets of wheels, grille $8900

08 w/ 185K, stock $8200

So there offer seems in line with it. Your Computstar remote/alarm adds maybe $500-800 in value. Back up camera, another $500.

afrotl
03-23-2017, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Well theres 3 on Kijiji

08 with 120K $10750K looks all stock

08 with 160K, trailer hitch,2 sets of wheels, grille $8900

08 w/ 185K, stock $8200

So there offer seems in line with it. Your Computstar remote/alarm adds maybe $500-800 in value. Back up camera, another $500.

I was checking both Kijiji and Auto trader as well. I will talk to my adjuster and see what comes out of it.

ExtraSlow
03-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Something else to consider, do you think this car is in "great shape" and you'd love to drive it for a few more years?

Or is it actually in terrible condition, needs tires, has mechanical issues etc.

I had the good fortune of having a vehicle that was due for several thousand in mechanical repairs, plus additional undiagnosed issues, get written off. I accepted the first insurance offer right away.

What I'm trying to say is be careful playing hardball if you really are sure you want the car written off. In my mind, for that car, that offer is extremely fair. If it was me, I'd take it .

Mitsu3000gt
03-24-2017, 10:54 AM
I thought they didn't write off cars if the repair cost is less than the vehicle value? Seems like a pretty good deal for you.

dirtsniffer
03-24-2017, 10:55 AM
80% of the value is typical write off territory. Adjuster usually takes into account unfound damage adding a bunch to the quote.

Mitsu3000gt
03-24-2017, 11:00 AM
^ Did not know that, thanks! I thought it always was the greater of.

Crazyjoker77
03-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Request a copy of the valuation and ensure everything on it is correct Intact tried to screw me over by offering 3k less than what their appraiser came up with(and even that was low.) They use some software that they just put in your vin and it should list all the options but sometimes its not always correct.

It will also show all the adjustments they've made to come up with that price. (tire wear, paint condition, glass, KM, region, options) it will also show you the 3 vehicles they are comparing your vehicle to in order to get the market value. As well it will list the enhancements and the price.

Insurance will get you next to nothing for mods though. When My mustang was written off I provided over 9k USD of receipts for parts that were less than a year old and intact was only willing to give me 2400cad for them...

PS. FUCK intact

afrotl
03-24-2017, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Something else to consider, do you think this car is in "great shape" and you'd love to drive it for a few more years?

Or is it actually in terrible condition, needs tires, has mechanical issues etc.

I had the good fortune of having a vehicle that was due for several thousand in mechanical repairs, plus additional undiagnosed issues, get written off. I accepted the first insurance offer right away.

What I'm trying to say is be careful playing hardball if you really are sure you want the car written off. In my mind, for that car, that offer is extremely fair. If it was me, I'd take it .

The car was in great shape and will love to have had it for a few more years.

After doing some research I do believe the offer is fair, the only thing I am waiting for is to see what they will offer for the alarm/starter and backup camera.

afrotl
03-24-2017, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
Request a copy of the valuation and ensure everything on it is correct Intact tried to screw me over by offering 3k less than what their appraiser came up with(and even that was low.) They use some software that they just put in your vin and it should list all the options but sometimes its not always correct.

It will also show all the adjustments they've made to come up with that price. (tire wear, paint condition, glass, KM, region, options) it will also show you the 3 vehicles they are comparing your vehicle to in order to get the market value. As well it will list the enhancements and the price.

Insurance will get you next to nothing for mods though. When My mustang was written off I provided over 9k USD of receipts for parts that were less than a year old and intact was only willing to give me 2400cad for them...

PS. FUCK intact
They sent me the valuation with my offer document and it seems fair.

ShermanEF9
03-29-2017, 11:38 AM
I'd take the 11,500 and run.