PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out this kijiji seller...

Sonic
03-24-2017, 06:54 PM
So about 3 weeks ago, I get a notification for two new 370Z's posted on kijiji at exactly the same time, both black and both with unusally low km but a reasonably low price according to VMR.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2009-nissan-370z-touring-coupe-2-door/1244047845

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/mint-condition-2009-nissan-370z-touring-coupe/1244050837

Both are well written ads and seem totally legit so I didn't think much of it, I was in the process of selling my car so I didn't want to contact them until I sold mine.

I get a showing for my car and so I finally email both of the ads.

Turns out the ad is posted by the same seller..."Amerie"...you can tell once you message someone on kijiji the name of the seller.

Also, on 1 of the ads, it links to an iPhone for sale with a phone number. I googled the phone number with Amerie and it links to a "Cars by Amerie" facebook page...so I'm thinking whatever, it's just another car curber...seems like she works for or used to work for House of Cars (no comment).

My question is...where are they getting these two cars from? How can both cars have such low km??! Are they rebuilt? Flooded? Km rolled back?.....or do these 2 cars even exist and this is some type of new scam?

Maaaan...kijiji is getting so shady as a place to buy cars....for some reason she never emailed me back either.

01RedDX
03-24-2017, 07:17 PM

J-hop
03-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Anything anyone will say will be pure speculation. If you are serious ask for a carproof or pay for your own

01RedDX
03-24-2017, 07:21 PM

adam c
03-24-2017, 07:30 PM
From what I can see, in the first ad the car has a front license plate, in the second ad it doesn't and doesn't appear it has holes for it, besides the obvious different rims and the scenic background

Sonic
03-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Ya I noticed the 2nd ad has a front license plate...

Okay, so they are different cars then and probably actually exist.....but these are pretty rare cars, I'm just wondering how they got their hands on 2 with such LOW km?? Did they roll it back?

FYI, I emailed her on both ads, didn't get a response.

Sonic
03-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
NVM she does work for "House of Cars" so stay far away. These cars most likely have shady histories e.g. rebuilt writeoffs.

Interesting tactic. Get one of your reasonably attractive sales people to create their own fb page as a honeypot for potential buyers and avoid using your shady business name.

Not sure she still does...in one of the ads it mentions she lives on an acerage and the 370Z in the first ad looks like the pic was taken on an acerage...

My_name_is_Rob
03-24-2017, 08:02 PM
hmmm also has a "mint condition" S2K priced a bit on the low side: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/mint-condition-2003-honda-s2000-convertible-black-on-black/1244217889?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I would request a car proof for one of these cars and then go from there.

That's what I thought at first too, but then noticed it's just click-bait.

Originally posted by Kijiji
Currently stored for the winter. Email to view. Asking $24,500. Not looking to sell right away, just a feeler ad. Open to reasonable offers.

Sonic
03-24-2017, 08:26 PM
Forgot to say, I checked House of Cars' inventory and they don't even have any 370Zs so I don't think she is working for them.

jacky4566
03-24-2017, 08:37 PM
Since when is a 370z "rare" Maybe the touring package is a little more rare. 6,456 of the 11,208 produced were Touring. A NISMO version would be rare.

I sent a message to poke for information.
A. Its a rebuild with major frame problems.
B. Its a scam

Sonic
03-24-2017, 08:40 PM
Well "rarer."...odd to have 2 in an inventory of the same colour, year, transmission, AND have super low km...

Sonic
03-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Since when is a 370z "rare" Maybe the touring package is a little more rare. 6,456 of the 11,208 produced were Touring. A NISMO version would be rare.

I sent a message to poke for information.
A. Its a rebuild with major frame problems.
B. Its a scam

That's what I want to know haha...what exactly is the scam if it's a scam?? The only thing I can think of is a rolled back/switched odometer...

carson blocks
03-24-2017, 08:58 PM
Sometimes shitty car dealers put up imaginary cars just to get you to call, then that one is mysteriously unavailable but surprise, they have a dozen other rides to get you in.

The advertising laws say they are supposed to reference a specific stock number just so dealers can't pull that crap, but it still happens all the time. Also, I hate AMVIC with a passion, but you can use it to check if "Cars by Amerie" is a legit dealer/salesperson and report if you see any shady shit.

roll_over
03-24-2017, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Sonic
Ya I noticed the 2nd ad has a front license plate...

Okay, so they are different cars then and probably actually exist.....but these are pretty rare cars, I'm just wondering how they got their hands on 2 with such LOW km?? Did they roll it back?

FYI, I emailed her on both ads, didn't get a response.

Dude, why are you so hung up on the km? they’re not that low for a summer car.

Also, they’re not rare at all.

If you’re interested then email from another address, set up a viewing and pay for a carproof followed by a potential inspection.

Sonic
03-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Ok fair enough...no scam going on, that's all I wanted to know lol

Darkane
03-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Go buy a '16 enthusiasts edition for 27-28 and avoid all this hassle. Enjoy your extra 4 years of warranty too.

rage2
03-24-2017, 10:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ewGBXEQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JBBJ9uQ.jpg

ExtraSlow
03-25-2017, 12:16 AM
Rage has answered all but one question I might have about this transaction. :thumbsup:

italianstylez
03-25-2017, 03:12 AM
I worked with her all of her postings are attempts to lowball other sellers, they are in no way related to
House of cars, she's just trying to use them as leverage with other sellers.

And FYI red civic: none of the HOC cars have sketchy histories or write offs or rebuilds, car proof is free for all too see with the listings on website, you must be thinking gallery, and international

btimbit
03-25-2017, 10:58 AM
Yeah don't get House of Cars confused with Gallery of Fine cars. Other than not really being competitive with their prices, HoC is just a regular used car dealer

Sonic
03-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Honestly, House of Cars can't be that bad if they're already up to 6 locations. They have some slick marketing too. Looks like they've done awesome so far, they must be doing some things right.

Italianstylez....can you explain more...so she lowballs other dealers, I'm guessing her cars are super fucked up, so this way she can get people to at least come look? It's obvious from facebook page that she worked for HOC as recent as last month...what happened? Got fired?

01RedDX
03-25-2017, 12:26 PM

Sonic
03-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Wow, her Instagram actually has a pic of that S2K so we know that's a real ad at least....

italianstylez
03-25-2017, 09:21 PM

What?! Go to the website, not every listing has a car proof on it first of all, but out of the ones that do, I'm actually having trouble finding one WITHOUT damage records, OOP reg and other shit.

I understand wanting to defend a friend or employer but why would you post something so clearly verifiably false? :nut:

What happened to her "dream job"?
http://i.imgur.com/MPs0DIr.jpg

None are rebuilt, OOP is irrelevant, nothing is hidden, it's all clearly displayed, any that aren't on the website are available in store, no secrets anywhere, everything is disclosed in full.

And don't know I barely know her, I just know all her ads are fake, and why they are, don't think she works at house of cars anymore either.

italianstylez
03-25-2017, 09:24 PM
Honestly, House of Cars can't be that bad if they're already up to 6 locations. They have some slick marketing too. Looks like they've done awesome so far, they must be doing some things right.

Italianstylez....can you explain more...so she lowballs other dealers, I'm guessing her cars are super fucked up, so this way she can get people to at least come look? It's obvious from facebook page that she worked for HOC as recent as last month...what happened? Got fired?

No, she has them posted so she can low ball private sellers, she had an S2k last year and wants one or a 350z again is my understanding, she usually copies ad photos from east coast, and yea she is or was at HOC, don't think so anymore.

And it's up too 7 locations now, 4 in town, 2 in Medicine Hat, and took over Carsco in Airdrie.

btimbit
03-25-2017, 10:19 PM

What?! Go to the website, not every listing has a car proof on it first of all, but out of the ones that do, I'm actually having trouble finding one WITHOUT damage records, OOP reg and other shit.

I understand wanting to defend a friend or employer but why would you post something so clearly verifiably false? :nut:

I've checked out two cars at House of Cars before, and both times I was treated great the entire time. Saw the carproofs for both, one was a ex rental they bought from a wholesaler/auction and was in great shape, and they disclosed the history up front before even showing the carproof.

One car actually ended up showing a lien on the carproof, when I asked about it they guessed that since the pulled the carproof the day they got it that it hadn't been paid off/recorded yet. To be sure, they pulled another one right in front of me, and sure enough, no longer showed a lien. Both the salesman and finance manager were honest about it and at no point did I feel like they tried to brush that off as nothing to get me to buy anyway before ensuring that I was satisfied about the cars status

Didn't end up buying either vehicle since they weren't priced that great, but wouldn't hesitate to go back again either.

Sonic
03-26-2017, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by italianstylez

No, she has them posted so she can low ball private sellers, she had an S2k last year and wants one or a 350z again is my understanding, she usually copies ad photos from east coast, and yea she is or was at HOC, don't think so anymore.

And it's up too 7 locations now, 4 in town, 2 in Medicine Hat, and took over Carsco in Airdrie.

I still don't get the whole lowballing private sellers though, so the two 370Z ads are fake? What's the point then? It's just to get you to contact her then she tries to sell you another car?

Glad you guys took over Carsco, that place was a fucking joke. I took my A3 in a few years back to sell, they offered me 4 grand at that time, private sales were around 9-10G, the sales manager had the balls to tell me that 4 grand was what they were going for at auction, bold face lied right to my face.

NRGie
03-26-2017, 01:37 PM

I still don't get the whole lowballing private sellers though, so the two 370Z ads are fake? What's the point then? It's just to get you to contact her then she tries to sell you another car?

Glad you guys took over Carsco, that place was a fucking joke. I took my A3 in a few years back to sell, they offered me 4 grand at that time, private sales were around 9-10G, the sales manager had the balls to tell me that 4 grand was what they were going for at auction, bold face lied right to my face.

She probably contacts other 370z' for sale and lowballs them. She then justifies her lowball by showing them these 370z'. But in reality these 370z' don't even exist.

The manger probably didn't lie. He used black book to get a value. Black book looks at the selling prices of vehicles in auctions and records them and releases the numbers every quarter or so I believe. Also how much were you expecting for your a3? Just cause people are asking 9-10 doesn't mean they are in fact selling for that much.

italianstylez
03-26-2017, 01:44 PM

No solely so she can message other 370z owners and also the s2k, lowball them and use the ads as examples to try and justify her lowball.

That book thing would probably be somewhat accurate, dealers typically pay rough book or just under so they can turn a profit and have margin for repairs, advertising, inspections etc.

But they were an all around mess losing customers and money at a crazy rate so we stepped in and took over.

Sonic
03-26-2017, 04:12 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks :closed:

Amerie
03-27-2017, 03:51 PM
Amerie here :)

ItalianStylez hit it spot on. Sorry to disappoint, but the cars don't exist, and were only posted so that other sellers had more flexibility on their price since the marketplace looked more competitive. This way, future sellers would also price their S2000's and 370z's at a better deal if they wanted to sell quick. :) I'm in the market for one so just trying to get a good deal this summer, no "clickbait" motives.

The ads were unrelated to my work at House of Cars. For the record, they also don't sell vehicles with fake CarProofs or AMVIC inspections the way Gallery of Fine Cars/Extreme Auto Sales did. I worked with them for six months, and they were a great company. They repair anything necessary as per AMVIC inspections and are very honest in their sales, unlike other dealers. They aren't flexible on prices because they actually put the vehicle through the shop diligently so they know the value in their product.

mazdavirgin
03-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Amerie

ItalianStylez hit it spot on. Sorry to disappoint, but the cars don't exist, and were only posted so that other sellers had more flexibility on their price since the marketplace looked more competitive. This way, future sellers would also price their S2000's and 370z's at a better deal if they wanted to sell quick. :) I'm in the market for one so just trying to get a good deal this summer, no "clickbait" motives.

:facepalm: No wonder you are in sales with these kinds of ethics.

schurchill39
03-27-2017, 04:27 PM

:banghead: :thumbsdow

austic
03-27-2017, 04:40 PM
yup seen this before, brings the average local price down and allows buyer to offer less as seller thinks there is more competition to sell.

Greasy that's for sure.

btimbit
03-27-2017, 07:07 PM
At least she's honest if she gets called out on it:dunno: Doing it to get a better deal for herself, not scam other people

carson blocks
03-27-2017, 09:45 PM

ItalianStylez hit it spot on. Sorry to disappoint, but the cars don't exist, and were only posted so that other sellers had more flexibility on their price since the marketplace looked more competitive.

I applaud your honesty and owning it, but I'm sorry that's really fucking greasy. That's even greasy by used car sales standards. It's also in violation of AMVIC rules, not that either you or 'Cars by Amerie' actually has an AMVIC license.

Numi
03-27-2017, 10:04 PM
Greaaaasssssyyyyy

dirtsniffer
03-27-2017, 10:05 PM
That's so fucking greasy.

dirtsniffer
03-27-2017, 10:11 PM

The ads were unrelated to my work at House of Cars. For the record, they also don't sell vehicles with fake CarProofs or AMVIC inspections the way Gallery of Fine Cars/Extreme Auto Sales did. I worked with them for six months, and they were a great company. They repair anything necessary as per AMVIC inspections and are very honest in their sales, unlike other dealers. They aren't flexible on prices because they actually put the vehicle through the shop diligently so they know the value in their product.

Just wanted to quote the whole post in case she deletes it. Fucking greasy.

tehwegz
03-27-2017, 11:08 PM
S2000 prices are crack pipe wack though...better off going JDM. I know a guy who got a 60k km mint S2000 RHD for 11k. Nice aftermarket wheels, new soft top, JDM F20C with +10hp over USDM, and driving RHD is easy in a narrow car like that.

INB4 influx of RHD S2K's being imported, and the prices going way up now.

Better than waiting for people to come back down to earth with their prices locally...especially the used Subaru price bubble going on in Alberta.

I see. Introduce market manipulation, were all used to it by now. Lol...talking about cars like a real estate market.

Amerie
03-27-2017, 11:27 PM
Exactly ^^

hurrdurr
03-28-2017, 11:27 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/hvl1j.jpg

Kloubek
03-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Honest, but that really is super....

http://www.thatsnerdalicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ew_Upload.jpg

jarome
03-28-2017, 01:23 PM

Wow you're quite the...what can I call her without getting banned?

rage2
03-28-2017, 01:25 PM
I'm surprised she's not Chinese or brown. Those are clearly immigrant tricks haha.

JRSC00LUDE
03-28-2017, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by jarome

Wow you're quite the...what can I call her without getting banned?

Cunt. Hard K.

rx7boi
03-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I'm surprised she's not Chinese or brown. Those are clearly immigrant tricks haha.

Ukrainian tricks are up there with the best of them :rofl:

btimbit
03-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Yeah, on second thought that is pretty greasy

revelations
03-29-2017, 08:32 AM
Sounds like standard business tactics that probably many used car lots do. Falls in line with the "sold" vehicle ads as well (sorry, that car is sold - but would you be interested in another?).

Its all relative to the industry - just like PnP not doing VIN checks - thats probably standard practice as well in their line of work - same for bank employees changing client accounts to higher fee ones.

Normal for them, but sleazy for the regular folk.

Sugarphreak
03-29-2017, 10:03 AM

jarome
03-29-2017, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Cunt. Hard K.

I just spat out my coffee hahaha

thetransporter
04-09-2017, 11:27 PM
this thread is something else..

Skyline_Addict
04-10-2017, 03:20 AM