PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountain Motorsports has Council Approval

Go4Long
03-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Surprised I haven't seen this on here yet, although I might just have not been able to find it...

At the Mountainview County meeting yesterday the council voted in favour of the proposed rezoning of the land to be used for Rocky Mountain Motorsports Park. Next step is the building permit phase.

This is as close as we've come to having a new track in the Calgary area.

http://rockymotorsports.com/

https://www.facebook.com/rockymotorsports/

HiTempguy1
03-30-2017, 12:52 PM
I believe that Badlands is actually slated to start construction this year.

Not to take anything away from RMM, I'm rooting for both of them, both need to be supported :)

Go4Long
03-30-2017, 12:53 PM
I'll believe either of them are in the construction phase as soon as I see ashphalt being put down. lol.

carson blocks
03-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
I'll believe that when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet. lol.

FTFY

03ozwhip
03-30-2017, 02:12 PM
this one is out by strathmore, isn't it? if so that will be awesome.

Dalking
03-30-2017, 02:34 PM
I am very excited for either. It's almost time to start camera shopping for it :D

Go4Long
03-30-2017, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
this one is out by strathmore, isn't it? if so that will be awesome.

It's by Carstairs. The southeastern corner of the intersection of highway 581 and highway 2.

Originally posted by Dalking
I am very excited for either. It's almost time to start camera shopping for it :D

Yup. It's like 10 minutes from my house. I picked up another 400mm 2.8 last month.

Dalking
03-30-2017, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long

It's by Carstairs. The southeastern corner of the intersection of highway 581 and highway 2.

Yup. It's like 10 minutes from my house. I picked up another 400mm 2.8 last month. Dope!!

jacky4566
03-30-2017, 05:06 PM
Not quite Go4Long.

Badlands has all the studies and Developments Permits necessary to proceed while RMR does not.

This council approval was only to rezone the land. So they now have land which will permit them to have a racetrack. It does not permit the actual construction. However with this rezoning its all but assured they will get the DP.

Does anyone know the state of thier funding? The types of studies required from here are very costly not to mention actual construction.

b_t
03-31-2017, 04:45 PM
iirc Rocky Mountain are the guys with all the cash. They had their location in Airdrie fully funded, I believe.

Badlands seemed to have the more competent leadership and the better plan, but have been so quiet lately I wonder if they had problems securing funding to actually start construction

ercchry
03-31-2017, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by b_t
iirc Rocky Mountain are the guys with all the cash. They had their location in Airdrie fully funded, I believe.

Badlands seemed to have the more competent leadership and the better plan, but have been so quiet lately I wonder if they had problems securing funding to actually start construction

I believe the only fundraising that is planned for badlands is from membership fees... which were always going to be sold right before (or during?) the actual construction, cause Jay had... or had access to everything he needed for the rest of it

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-31-2017, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

I believe the only fundraising that is planned for badlands is from membership fees... which were always going to be sold right before (or during?) the actual construction, cause Jay had... or had access to everything he needed for the rest of it

This sounds about right.

I'm rooting for both but I am quite sure Badlands is further ahead in the process right now.

reijo
04-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

This sounds about right.

I'm rooting for both but I am quite sure Badlands is further ahead in the process right now.

Yes, it is close. Construction drawings were submitted for review back in Aug. 2016 (it's a big project so review takes a lot of time ... unlike a kart track or building or even a subdivision).

When you think of it, they are essentially building a town of 2000 in the middle of nowhere where there are no services to speak of ... phone, power, internet, water, sewer, storm sewer, subdivision of the land for housing lots, garage condos, paved roads and even the access road. This is the biggest tourism project in Alberta right now.

They have their own money to get the project to this stage (no problem there and was according to the original plan - no changes). However for construction etc. they will be looking for investors and memberships to be bought ... again this will be soon.

R

jacky4566
12-01-2017, 11:26 AM
BUMP.

They recently updated the website with membership details starting at $37,500.

Havnt heard any recent news on Badlands. I suppose they are looking for investors?

http://rockymotorsports.com/

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Tons of news earlier this week from Badlands. Site design is finalized and hasn’t been shown, they started investor pitches to people this week as well I saw.

ercchry
12-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Looks like Rejio got his hands on the map for badlands... shared it to their FB

reijo
12-01-2017, 01:31 PM
I shared the Badlands final layout map/drawing from the Ferrari club presentation Badlands did last weekend. The map was posted on the Ferrari Club facebook page. I re-posted and added information on the "Southern Alberta Solosport Club" facebook page ... go there for more info, photos, etc.

Badlands has permits etc. in place and are looking for founding members to invest and get the ball rolling. The engineering/construction permit drawings were submitted last year - Aug. 2016 and they were approved in the spring of 2017. That process for a large project takes a while to do and so it did for them.

Now it is a matter of getting investor dollars and get building. So if you have some major bucks ...

Individual memberships and such will be sold later on. And, before people ask like usual, anyone or entity can rent track time just like Castrol or Race City without being a member as they have said since the beginning. If you look at the map, there could be as many as 4 or 5 groups renting facilities on a given day so there is lots of room to play.

Anyway, I have work to do ... make some money so I can afford to play. :) LOL

R

rage2
12-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the update Reijo. So it looks like Badlands is a year or 2 ahead of Rockyview?

reijo
12-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the update Reijo. So it looks like Badlands is a year or 2 ahead of Rockyview?

Rockyview seems to have got some stuff done faster - maybe different county or who knows? Anyway, detailed engineering drawings (something like 60 drawings if I recall correctly - never mind all the environmental regs and such) for Badlands took the better part of a year for a project of this scope and then from Aug. 2016 to the spring - maybe 10 months for the County of Kneehill to review it and approve it. These are not small projects ... like a single family home etc.

R

BerserkerCatSplat
12-01-2017, 02:54 PM
nd, before people ask like usual, anyone or entity can rent track time just like Castrol or Race City without being a member as they have said since the beginning. LOL

Thanks for the intel, Reijo. Have they mentioned ballpark pricing for the facility rentals?

reijo
12-02-2017, 10:49 AM
You're welcome!

No I have not heard about specific pricing although we did speak about it briefly a few years back ... and if I recall correctly it would've been more or less in line with Race City's pricing (take this with a grain of salt since I don't remember specifically...been a while) and I suppose some inflation since that time. In other words, it was not going to be crazy expensive and was never meant to be - that I do remember. I think it is a bit of business decision and as any smart business knows, every bit you jack up the price, it corresponds to so many more who will not be able to afford it. On the other hand, of course, you still have to cover your operating costs and also profit for your investors.

Anyway, I think the focus right now is on getting some of the key investors on-board and then the smaller ones after that and get the construction going. They would like to construct as soon as possible. It has been a very long, tough, drawn out process. Persistence is key. I have to give them credit for that!

The Cosworth
12-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Cant wait to take my kids to secret street again!

Darell_n
12-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Cant wait to take my kids to secret street again!

I don’t think any drag racing is planned anywhere near Calgary.

Xtrema
12-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Can Alberta sustain 2 tracks/motorsport parks without a drag strip?

ercchry
12-04-2017, 11:29 AM

You mean 3 separate road courses (castrol, Rocky Mountain, badlands) and 3 separate drag strips (castrol, med hat, and the other one is a 1/8th mile, working on building a 1/4 and central Alberta... name escapes me)?

never
12-04-2017, 12:31 PM
You mean 3 separate road courses (castrol, Rocky Mountain, badlands) and 3 separate drag strips (castrol, med hat, and the other one is a 1/8th mile, working on building a 1/4 and central Alberta... name escapes me)?

Rimbey...Central Alberta Raceways

Xtrema
12-04-2017, 01:04 PM

Or the fact that Rocky Mountain and Badlands has similar goal/structure and will try to pull investors from the same pool.

Darell_n
12-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Or the fact that Rocky Mountain and Badlands has similar goal/structure and will try to pull investors from the same pool.

They look like direct competition to each other on the same schedule. One must be sacrificed to the racing gods.

HiTempguy1
12-04-2017, 04:00 PM

Yes, absolutely. Castrol is booked practically every single day, corporate track type days and other training session type uses is seriously in demand. And you have to consider, Castrol is in friggin Edmonton.

No doubt about it, Calgary can certainly support another track. Two? Sounds like each facility has slightly different goals. If Badlands is more focused on being a high end facility, their clientele is national/international.

Hopefully all the facilities have thought about winter uses, one thing that Castrol does very poorly.

Darell_n
01-18-2018, 09:03 PM
Anybody know exactly where Carstairs the new Rocky Mountain track location is?

Go4Long
01-18-2018, 09:20 PM
Anybody know exactly where Carstairs the new Rocky Mountain track location is?

It’s at the corner of HWY 2 and 581

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-10-2021, 10:47 AM
Thread revival. We are on site driving the layout again today, pretty awesome to see how much dirt has been moved. They are using 7000L of fuel a day to run the equipment.

ThePenIsMightier
04-10-2021, 10:48 AM
Thread revival. We are on site driving the layout again today, pretty awesome to see how much dirt has been moved. They are using 7000L of fuel a day to run the equipment.

Don't tell Greta.

I think there's a much more recent thread going about this place.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-10-2021, 10:53 AM
Don't tell Greta.

I think there's a much more recent thread going about this place.

Yeah for some reason I couldn’t find it.

Tik-Tok
04-10-2021, 11:59 AM
Badlands has a more recent thread, but I assume you're actually talking about Rocky Mountain here

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-10-2021, 12:00 PM
Yes RMM.

mr2mike
04-10-2021, 05:56 PM
I guess both of these, I'll believe it when it's done.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-10-2021, 07:09 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/JzXrX5Ls/4134-CF97-9695-4-BC2-9-A46-DA29134-A239-D.jpg

Final grade starts this week.

ExtraSlow
04-10-2021, 07:11 PM
Exciting. I like race tracks.

ExtraSlow
10-20-2021, 01:23 PM
RMM posted this on LinkedIN this week. Looking good.

That right there is a fully paved RMM circuit! Over 3.5 kms of circuit including the chicane, plus pit entrance and exit, support vehicle roads, partial paddock, and entrance roads. You can also see additional hydro-seeding happening on the berms. Drone capture provided by Adventure Aerial Photography. We expect an exponential amount of amazing motorsport imagery to come out of this circuit!

Toms-SC
10-20-2021, 06:08 PM
Dang, look at that. Looks like the buildings are missing but that could be done over winter.

bjstare
10-20-2021, 07:35 PM
Does anyone know if they’re going to have karting there? I’d love to have the odd shifter kart weekend.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-20-2021, 07:38 PM
Does anyone know if they’re going to have karting there? I’d love to have the odd shifter kart weekend.

No, there’s already a kart track in Strathmore.

nismodrifter
12-12-2021, 12:41 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/street-racing-calgary-council-1.6283114

JfuckinC
12-12-2021, 03:12 PM
Haha those aren’t street racing locations, just where kids are driving clapped out beaters that are straight piped or BMW’s with pop tunes..

nismodrifter
12-12-2021, 05:00 PM
Haha those aren’t street racing locations, just where kids are driving clapped out beaters that are straight piped or BMW’s with pop tunes..

exactly my thoughts lol.

The notice of motion says some of the city's main drags for street racers are Rundlehorn Drive, Temple Drive, 52nd Street, 68th Street, 32nd Ave., 16th Ave., Memorial Drive and McKnight Blvd.

->insert Calgary Stereotype map here.<-

90_Shelby
12-12-2021, 05:38 PM

Definitely not “street racing locations,” but if you are a car guy who grew up in the area 20+ years ago, you’d be lying if you claimed that you have never raced on all of those roads. :angel: (With the exception of Temple Dr and Rundlehorn Dr.)

16th Ave was a perfect road for test and tune back then.

Clapped out and straight piped checks out though. Growing up in the NE you couldn’t afford anything else.

jutes
12-12-2021, 06:15 PM
Closing the Deerfoot for time attack is the only solution.

mr2mike
12-12-2021, 07:02 PM

They shut down memorial for bikes and walkers.
Make it an annual event. People can watch from the sides.

finboy
12-12-2021, 09:12 PM
Definitely not “street racing locations,” but if you are a car guy who grew up in the area 20+ years ago, you’d be lying if you claimed that you have never raced on all of those roads. :angel: (With the exception of Temple Dr and Rundlehorn Dr.)

16th Ave was a perfect road for test and tune back then.

Clapped out and straight piped checks out though. Growing up in the NE you couldn’t afford anything else.

Where else could you watched a nitroused hyabusa and a turbo mustang go head to head on a Saturday :confused::burnout:

zipdoa
12-13-2021, 10:29 AM

I thought bart had done that when he lapped stoney @ 300kmh+? someone repost that video, it's epic.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-13-2021, 11:51 AM
I thought bart had done that when he lapped stoney @ 300kmh+? someone repost that video, it's epic.

A true classic.

bjstare
12-13-2021, 01:07 PM
No, there’s already a kart track in Strathmore.

I missed this ages ago when you posted it.

Seems like for the casual person, that strathmore place isn't a great option. Can't drive a 2-stroke shifter, and it's only 3 10 min sessions. It's basically just a demo day.

I'm looking for something that's a little more involved, without having to commit and buy a kart. I think Area 27 has some options, but would love to find something closer to home.

Darkane
12-13-2021, 01:35 PM
For the old schoolers:

40th and 44th street running south off of 114th ave.

INITIALD
12-13-2021, 01:47 PM
For the old schoolers:

40th and 44th street running south off of 114th ave.

This.

Xtrema
12-14-2021, 12:55 PM
They shut down memorial for bikes and walkers.
Make it an annual event. People can watch from the sides.

You quoted Chabot word for word. He said we should explore shutting down 68st on weekends for some runs.

Let's be real, Cops are probably won't be on board because no funding and even if council approves it, it will be EV only because climate emergency.

JRSC00LUDE
12-14-2021, 01:24 PM
You quoted Chabot word for word. He said we should explore shutting down 68st on weekends for some runs.

Let's be real, Cops are probably won't be on board because no funding and even if council approves it, it will be EV only because climate emergency.

But traffic fines are all about promoting and funding safety initiatives and this would make things safe if funded.

ercchry
12-14-2021, 01:39 PM
They’d just wait for everyone to leave and ding them for exhaust and tint tickets… like the old days.

nismodrifter
12-14-2021, 02:15 PM

Great thread. I remember that. He was trolling hard. Video is down.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/375896-last-rip-before-the-snow

JRSC00LUDE
12-14-2021, 03:12 PM
They’d just wait for everyone to leave and ding them for exhaust and tint tickets… like the old days.

Thereby perpetually funding the safety of it all and making everyone.......happy?

ercchry
12-14-2021, 06:23 PM
Thereby perpetually funding the safety of it all and making everyone.......happy?

The best negotiations are when everyone leaves unhappy?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-14-2021, 06:37 PM
I missed this ages ago when you posted it.

Seems like for the casual person, that strathmore place isn't a great option. Can't drive a 2-stroke shifter, and it's only 3 10 min sessions. It's basically just a demo day.

I'm looking for something that's a little more involved, without having to commit and buy a kart. I think Area 27 has some options, but would love to find something closer to home.

Unfortunately there’s nothing between Speeders and Strathmore currently, I’m in the same boat, don’t have time to commit to actual karting but Speeders is not enough. We need something like the old Crossroads indoor outdoor gas kart track that required a learners license at minimum to race.

ExtraSlow
12-14-2021, 07:02 PM
The best negotiations are when everyone leaves unhappy?

Jesus are you my bosses alt?

94boosted
12-15-2021, 11:27 AM

Surprise, surprise they voted it down 6-2. Chabot likely just brought this half assed motion in front of council to make it look like he gives af about doing something.

Xtrema
12-15-2021, 01:22 PM
Surprise, surprise they voted it down 6-2. Chabot likely just brought this half assed motion in front of council to make it look like he gives af about doing something.

Race City has closed for a decade and Chabot has been around for 16 years now. Surprised he pipes up about this now unless he was trying to see if anyone is onboard since purple rein is gone.

Still a half ass plan and it's not going to stop street racing. Just like it didn't when Race City was around.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-05-2022, 09:06 PM
Had my first chance today on track, pretty awesome. I wasn’t feeling it the first two sessions but once I started looking extremely far ahead and taking tons of late apexes the flow began to improve. Definitely recommend trying it out.

pheoxs
05-05-2022, 11:53 PM
Had my first chance today on track, pretty awesome. I wasn’t feeling it the first two sessions but once I started looking extremely far ahead and taking tons of late apexes the flow began to improve. Definitely recommend trying it out.

How much did the track day cost you?

Shlade
05-06-2022, 06:34 AM
Im curious for pricing as well.

Had a quick look at their website and looks like you have to be rich af to afford a membership there lol

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-06-2022, 07:51 AM
How much did the track day cost you?

Im part of a club that’s an investor/corporate member so I pay my yearly club fee and it includes all the days they have booked at venues for the year. I know Davenport, Calgary Sports Car Club and Track Junkies will have days this year that non members can attend but I don’t know the cost. Keep in mind there’s a limit of days for non members per year.

HiSpec
05-06-2022, 08:18 AM

I heard there is a decent bank at one of the corner. Is it quite a steep bank?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-06-2022, 08:22 AM
I heard there is a decent bank at one of the corner. Is it quite a steep bank?

It’s sweet, it’s a right hander that goes uphill and over the crest into a off camber left hander downhill. It’s not nascar banking but there’s definitely a bit of a banked angle for part of the corner.

JfuckinC
05-06-2022, 08:29 AM
That's pretty cool man! post some track footage sometime would be neat to see what it's like.

What are the clubs like for pricing and dates? I've never even really had any exposure to that kind of stuff, but it would be fun to build the S14 into a track machine...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-06-2022, 09:22 AM
Here’s a video my friend took, I’m in the FRS that switches to leader part way through the video.

https://youtu.be/-XIEBwMrYR8

90_Shelby
05-07-2022, 09:29 PM
Here’s a video my friend took, I’m in the FRS that switches to leader part way through the video.

https://youtu.be/-XIEBwMrYR8

Cool. I wish I had lots of track experience.

Sentry
05-07-2022, 11:39 PM
I'm taking my Subaru in 3 weeks, should be a good time.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-08-2022, 08:36 AM
Cool. I wish I had lots of track experience.

Everybody has to start somewhere, you should try out one of the days Davenport has booked this summer. I think they have four evening events and starts around $350/person. Put some good quality brake fluid in your car and get some experienced people to give you ride alongs or ride with you and you’ll be starting to master the lines and pick up speed in no time.

Ekliptix
05-08-2022, 10:19 AM
I've found it's really helpful to have someone with track experience in the passenger seat, when you're getting started. They'll talk you through when you can brake, when to turn in, where to look, etc. Even just etiquette for letting people pass, etc. It helped me a lot when I started doing Driver Education track days down in the US. It's a big rush, and you'll fall in love with your car all over again, getting to push it that hard.

90_Shelby
05-08-2022, 10:30 AM
Everybody has to start somewhere, you should try out one of the days Davenport has booked this summer. I think they have four evening events and starts around $350/person. Put some good quality brake fluid in your car and get some experienced people to give you ride alongs or ride with you and you’ll be starting to master the lines and pick up speed in no time.

I have the first Davenport event booked but not sure which car I should bring. I would think the Golf R would be a smarter starting point but a few buddies insist that I should take the wagon.

Solid advice on having someone in the car with me, I enjoy “spirited” drives but driving on the track is something that I would think takes lots of practice to master.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-08-2022, 11:04 AM
I have the first Davenport event booked but not sure which car I should bring. I would think the Golf R would be a smarter starting point but a few buddies insist that I should take the wagon.

Solid advice on having someone in the car with me, I enjoy “spirited” drives but driving on the track is something that I would think takes lots of practice to master.

Tbh the Golf R is a bit of a pig on the track, but for a beginner it should work fine. Focus on being smooth and looking really far ahead, try not to scrub your tires by making harsh inputs or squaring off corners.

rage2
05-08-2022, 11:06 AM
Take the golf R for a first time out. You’ll learn a lot in that car and get some experience with the track. Plus brakes and tires are way cheaper haha.

I used to run my gti on the road course to practice consistency. It’s a forgiving car that’ll help you learn the track quicker, and make it way easier and less wasting brakes and tires when you take the wagon out.

90_Shelby
05-08-2022, 11:16 AM
The Golf has got to be less of a pig then a 4400lbs station wagon or a 5400 lbs “Track”hawk, no?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-08-2022, 11:18 AM
The Golf has got to be less of a pig then a 4400lbs station wagon or a 5400 lbs “Track”hawk, no?

I think the wagon would be more fun but also a super steep learning curve. The lack of camber on the Golfs make them a bit piggly but like I said it will work just fine for a beginner.

jacky4566
05-09-2022, 03:28 PM
Is it me or are there more concrete barriers than I expected? Pretty sure that's how Sean died in Edmonton 2018 RIP.

Why not use more tire walls and let the huge banks take your energy?

Maybe in a few years when its all sorted ill get a new project. Older shitbox M3 maybe?