PDA

View Full Version : Kid-friendly music - SUGGESTIONS

ExtraSlow
04-16-2017, 03:26 PM
So I've made my kids a couple of mix cd's for them to listen to, and they really like them. I'm happy to have them listening to "real" music and not that kidz Bop crap, or the garbage that's on the radio most of the time.

What would you suggest for "real music" for your kids to listen to? Only requirement is that it should have no swears/sex/politics/violence.

speedog
04-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Bare Naked Ladies would probably be a good start.

Epididymitis
04-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Your kids ever heard of the maiden?????

Clever
04-16-2017, 06:25 PM
My kids loved Jack Johnson when they were younger, they still do, but they listen to pretty much anything now.

03ozwhip
04-16-2017, 06:34 PM
well I'm a bad parent....my kids favorite artist is DMX...I don't know why, maybe it's the voice. but I suggest looking for the radio edits of music that usually isn't made for kids, that way, you can still listen to what you want too and maybe they'll like it.

nothing like sitting in a car for hours at a time listening to baby Einstein. anyways, maybe it isn't the best suggestion but it's what I did....I listen to my music unedited all the time now and although it's full of swearing, my kid does not and will not swear. ( I do still pick and choose what comes on, there's some seriously inappropriate stuff that I listen to lol)

Pacman
04-16-2017, 06:59 PM
I've got the Bare Naked Ladies "Snack Time" CD, which is great as it's more kids orientated but good for adults.

I can burn you a copy if you like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snacktime!

HuMz
04-16-2017, 07:41 PM
If they like hiphop anything by Andy Mineo, NF, or Lacrae is clean.

ZD0fhCZFjjI

cSeBpKHHwJQ

4VlZTEX4Mg8

AndyL
04-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Raffi man! It's all about the Raffi!
orY1aO9WV8M

:dunno:

killramos
04-16-2017, 07:49 PM
I heard the insane clown posse is "in" with all the young people these days :rofl:

Melinda
04-16-2017, 08:50 PM
My kids will tell you their favorite artists are Queen, the Beatles, and Ed Sheeran. As someone who as a kid loved the spice girls and only realized as an adult listening to it again that 'Two Become One' was entirely about sex, I tend to not freak out too much about hidden content in music, at least until they're older.

Neil4Speed
04-17-2017, 08:02 AM
Whats wrong with the Classics? Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Beatles, Michael Jackson

legendboy
04-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Whats wrong with the Classics? Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Beatles, Michael Jackson

Eagles too ^ This is what i have been trying to do.

I have two girls, 7 & 10 and they listen to moms top 40 music. They are shaking their asses and dancing like they were in a club!!!

fuck that shit!!!

loweg
04-17-2017, 09:13 AM
My four year old sons current Spotify playlist is weezer and trolls soundtrack

hurrdurr
04-17-2017, 12:05 PM
I generally just try to get the censored versions of my favourites.

A lot of the newer rap albums say "E" next to it if the lyrics are explicit otherwise it's generally safe

rage2
04-17-2017, 12:26 PM
I set parental settings to clean and let them loose on Apple Music. They figure out and discover their own stuff. Pretty funny that our 3 yr old is keeping me up to date on new music, since I only listen to old man shit haha. He manages his own favorites playlist, which is shared with me for easy access in the car.

Favorites are typical pop stuff, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, One Direction and even some Flo Rida. Thank god he has no grasp of double entendres haha.

Sugarphreak
04-17-2017, 01:09 PM

90_Shelby
04-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Johnny Cash

ExtraSlow
04-17-2017, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Music is one of those things I don’t think should be censored, even for kids. It really is the ultimate freedom of expression, and should just be enjoyed as the artist intended. I was listening to songs with explicit lyrics by the time I was in about 6th grade, and so were all the other kids. The only people who think it is a big deal is helicopter parents**

**Disclaimer: Not a parent, generally zero fucks given about kids
Totally agree with this at a certain age. Currently my kids are quite a bit younger than grade six.

blitz
04-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Totally agree with this at a certain age. Currently my kids are quite a bit younger than grade six.

3 year olds are basically over emotional parrots.

rage2
04-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by blitz
3 year olds are basically over emotional parrots.
Yup. Reciting oh my gosh look at that butt from the Sing soundtrack at the right moments just cracks me up.

Epididymitis
04-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Raffi man! It's all about the Raffi!
orY1aO9WV8M

:dunno:

Omg, such a classic. I used to have like, the DRYEST orgasms to this as a little fella.

blownz
04-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Quick rant related to this topic:

Maybe it is just my perception and not reality, but why is it that is seems like almost every "artist" nowadays needs to swear so much in songs? When I was younger I only remember hard core rap having swearing, but now it seems that tons of the top 40 songs have radio edits due to the swearing and I don't remember that at all 30 years ago.

It is irritating when you have kids under 10 and you want to minimize their exposure to swearing until they are old enough to understand when it may or may not be appropriate to use.

I just personally feel that people that constantly swear (and artists that insist on swearing in songs) typically are just too stupid to come up with a more appropriate word. Case in point: At my younger kids ball hockey game on Sunday there were 3 dads sitting in the standings talking and all of them were dropping f-bombs every 3rd or so word. There are tons of young kids sitting around them and they sound like a bunch of inbred idiots. They were asked by numerous people to stop and they kept dropping f-bombs, but then apologizing because apparently they just have trouble not using the word... :rolleyes:

03ozwhip
04-18-2017, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by blownz
Quick rant related to this topic:

Maybe it is just my perception and not reality, but why is it that is seems like almost every "artist" nowadays needs to swear so much in songs? When I was younger I only remember hard core rap having swearing, but now it seems that tons of the top 40 songs have radio edits due to the swearing and I don't remember that at all 30 years ago.

It is irritating when you have kids under 10 and you want to minimize their exposure to swearing until they are old enough to understand when it may or may not be appropriate to use.

I just personally feel that people that constantly swear (and artists that insist on swearing in songs) typically are just too stupid to come up with a more appropriate word. Case in point: At my younger kids ball hockey game on Sunday there were 3 dads sitting in the standings talking and all of them were dropping f-bombs every 3rd or so word. There are tons of young kids sitting around them and they sound like a bunch of inbred idiots. They were asked by numerous people to stop and they kept dropping f-bombs, but then apologizing because apparently they just have trouble not using the word... :rolleyes:
fuck you and your horseshit attitude fuckface. but really, I have a problem with swearing. I guess I'm one of those dumb people because I actually LIKE to swear.

I can come up with words just fine, it's just a nice gap filler. at the end of the day, as long as I don't hear my kid swearing, that's all I care about.

BensonTT
04-18-2017, 09:10 PM
I just watched Menace to Society with my 7yr old son yesterday.. Does that make me a bad father? lol

03ozwhip
04-18-2017, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by BensonTT
I just watched Menace to Society with my 7yr old son yesterday.. Does that make me a bad father? lol :eek: I can't wait to do that! my kid is 8 so you're a worse father than I am.

Penis McNickels
04-20-2017, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Epididymitis
Your kids ever heard of the maiden?????

I took my kids (6 and 9) to Maiden in Edmonton.

D'z Nutz
04-21-2017, 11:09 AM
I've put together an 80's playlist on Spotify for a road trip I'm doing with some friends and their kids this summer (mostly upbeat stuff for the long drive). Current running time is 8 hours and 20 minutes and I've barely cracked the hair bands haha! I'm pretty sure their kids will enjoy it because they were demanding the Top Gun soundtrack the whole time we were in San Diego last year

tonytiger55
04-21-2017, 12:06 PM
As suggested above Michael Jackson, Beatles, Queen.

Rolling stones, David Bowie, Bob Marley, The Clash, The Police, The Smiths, George Michael, Madonna, Massive Attack, Simple Red, Pet Shop Boys, Happy Mondays, Duran Duran, Oasis, Amy Winehouse, Cold Play, Radio Head, Joy Division, The Cranberries, Marvin Gaye, Air,

Alternative/World. Ravi Shankar, Buena Vista Social Club, Pure Garage : 100 Garage Classics, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Gustav Holst The Planet Suite, Nitin Sawhney, Miles Davis, Ministry of Sound 1997-2000 Annual.

If you want misunderstood homie in da hood music.. without swearing... Run DMC. They showed it can be done.