PDA

View Full Version : Good starter bike for cycling into work

997TT
04-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Looking for advice on what you guys would recommend for a bike to commute to/from work. Might not always be on paved surfaces as I could go riding with family when kids get older and would like to think I would bike year round.

Budget would be around $700-2k. Ideally would love to buy something used as like cars that's where u can find some great gems. But if something new is great value would also buy that.

Went to the bike shop in eau claire and they had the norco torrent 7.2 on sale for $1700. Guy said it's a great year round bike and would be what he would recommend. Have yet to pop by bow cycle.

Any suggestions on makes/models for me to check online sites?

D'z Nutz
04-18-2017, 07:16 PM
I'd suggest looking into getting a hybrid or cyclocross with disc brakes if you're just interested in commuting year round with the occasional off-pavement riding. Throw some fenders on that and you're set.

I'm a big fan of Kona's offerings myself:
- Kona Jake/Jake the Snake (cyclocross)
- Kona Dew (hybrid)

I also think Specialized Sirrus's (hybrid) are pretty sweet too.
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2159675/

Since you're not opposed to buying used, keep an eye out on Kijiji and Pinkbike. Like you said, there's some really great gems out there you could find well within your budget.

How tall are you?

997TT
04-18-2017, 07:25 PM
5'10"

That pink bike ad is $800. Looks pretty damn sweet and would do the job.

Would u buy that ie it's a good deal?

997TT
04-18-2017, 07:33 PM
https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2155454/

Here's one for $2k. Says $3900 new.

buh_buh
04-18-2017, 07:46 PM
I'll second Cyclocross bike for year round commuting. Kona Jakes/Jake the Snakes are known to be some of the best cross bikes.

J-hop
04-18-2017, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I'd suggest looking into getting a hybrid or cyclocross with disc brakes if you're just interested in commuting year round with the occasional off-pavement riding. Throw some fenders on that and you're set.

I'm a big fan of Kona's offerings myself:
- Kona Jake/Jake the Snake (cyclocross)
- Kona Dew (hybrid)

I also think Specialized Sirrus's (hybrid) are pretty sweet too.
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2159675/

Since you're not opposed to buying used, keep an eye out on Kijiji and Pinkbike. Like you said, there's some really great gems out there you could find well within your budget.

How tall are you?

I second the kona dew, really good starter bike and good for long distances. only complaint is I bought the bottom end model and the "brifters" (combined brake/shifter) are garbage and one broke on me at the 24km mark of a 50km ride last summer haha.

D'z Nutz
04-18-2017, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by 997TT
5'10"

That pink bike ad is $800. Looks pretty damn sweet and would do the job.

Would u buy that ie it's a good deal?

I would, except it might be a slightly too small for you.

You're probably more of a medium/large or 56cm frame size. Still it wouldn't hurt to go check it out and see how it fits you. I find when people describe it as "medium" or "large" it's pretty vague. If it's pretty close, you could just get a longer stem and raise the seat.

Originally posted by J-hop

I second the kona dew, really good starter bike and good for long distances. only complaint is I bought the bottom end model and the "brifters" (combined brake/shifter) are garbage and one broke on me at the 24km mark of a 50km ride last summer haha.

Yeah I've been riding a Kona Dr. Dew (with hydraulic disc brakes) all winter and now that it's getting nice again, I'm finding I've been beating on it a little harder than I normally would have haha! If the weather would cooperate, I'd start riding my Jake to work.

msommers
04-18-2017, 07:55 PM
I've got a Specialized Sirrus Elite for commuting and it's really comfortable. Thinking about getting one of those giant brown leather saddles, they're so comfy!

taemo
04-18-2017, 08:18 PM
im also riding a basic kona dew 2016 and it's alright (on sale for 500$ at Bow Cycle right now), i shouldnt have cheaped out on the disc brake but v brake is fine as long as you take care of it, it's my bad weather bike as it has fenders and wider tires than my road bike

that specialized sirrus is so mighty tempting.. buy my kona and ill take the sirrus? :poosie:

msommers
04-18-2017, 08:43 PM
What size is yours? I want my commuter back as the gf wants to use it and I'm not keen on taking my CAAD to work lol.

taemo
04-18-2017, 09:01 PM
haha, the kona is a medium (52cm) and opus is a 53cm

FixedGear
04-18-2017, 09:31 PM
Just get an old but quality road or mountain bike, get a tune up and put some road tires on it and you've got a killer commuter. No reason to spend more than a few hundred bucks on a commuter. Last thing you want is spend $2k on something that will see damage, weather, potential theft, vandalism, etc. Look on the bike forums, the whole point of a commuter is it's cheap yet reliable.

I commuted on a 1999 Trek 6000 for years, will go back to that same bike when I move next month.

997TT
04-19-2017, 05:22 AM
Noob q but like used cars if u don't know shit about bikes you'll prob want to bring along a buddy or get the bike checked out by a shop I assume. And how would you know the bike isn't stolen?

Kona online has the 2016 JTS for $1699. $200 more than the 2017 Jake (same price as bow cycle).

I'm assuming sales are few and far between. I know they just had their sale

D'z Nutz
04-19-2017, 07:19 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/402716/purchasing-used-bike-how-do-i-know-if-its-stolen-or-not/

You could ask for the serial # and search if it's stolen or ask for the sales receipt but there's no sure way of knowing.

Bike and Brew in Bridgeland also carries Kona. If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Wheel Life in Okotoks and Bike Cafe in Canmore do too. Bike Cafe got me a good price on my Jake cause it was a previous years' model (I liked the colour and components better than the current year model at the time).

997TT
04-19-2017, 07:39 AM
Thanks. I saw a 2016 jake from a BC store new for $1100. Guessing previous models go for $300ish less for the jake model as kona online has the 2016 JTS for $1699 ($300 less than 2017 model)

J-hop
04-19-2017, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear
Just get an old but quality road or mountain bike, get a tune up and put some road tires on it and you've got a killer commuter. No reason to spend more than a few hundred bucks on a commuter. Last thing you want is spend $2k on something that will see damage, weather, potential theft, vandalism, etc. Look on the bike forums, the whole point of a commuter is it's cheap yet reliable.

I commuted on a 1999 Trek 6000 for years, will go back to that same bike when I move next month.

Depends on the distance you commute IMO. When my ride to work was a measly 5kms I used a heavy bike from the 80s. Now that my commute is over 20kms one way I wouldn't ever go back to using it. Once your riding distance gets above 10km one way IMO you'll want something lighter and with at least half decent components as you put a lot more miles on than the average rider.

Now in 1 day I almost ride as much as I would in an entire week from our old house.

BavarianBeast
04-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Hey 997TT,

Not sure if it's any interest to you but I can sell you a Salsa El GoGo for $500. It comes with a hard case and everything is contained within it. I think it's been ridden once.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/archive/el_gogo

997TT
04-19-2017, 09:05 AM
^ thanks let me do a bit of research on it and get back to you.

My ride is 11 kms each way. Once I get the edworthy I have to go up coach hill road which will be where the exercise kicks in.

BavarianBeast
04-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Sounds good. My pops bought it to complete a Triathalon several years back. He was 5'10" too.

It's been sitting in the case collecting dust for the last few years.

blitz
04-19-2017, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

Depends on the distance you commute IMO. When my ride to work was a measly 5kms I used a heavy bike from the 80s. Now that my commute is over 20kms one way I wouldn't ever go back to using it. Once your riding distance gets above 10km one way IMO you'll want something lighter and with at least half decent components as you put a lot more miles on than the average rider.

Now in 1 day I almost ride as much as I would in an entire week from our old house.

I agree. Outside of winter riding I see no point in not using a decent bike as a commuter, as long as you're able to lock it up somewhere safe at work.

Penguin_Racecar
04-19-2017, 12:37 PM
I'm a big fan of cyclocross bikes as a commuter. Generally strong, fairly light, can fit fenders and studded tires. Some 'cross bikes come with braze-ons for racks also. I commute on a Kona Jake the Snake, and just picked up an older Jake the Snake with braze-ons for my wife.

CLiVE
04-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Completely agree with the above also.

Cheap mountain bike is a good test to start to see if you like bike commuting and will stick to it in all seasons, but....

If you stick with it you will soon find you want something better. Cyclocross bikes seem to work best in Calgary for year round commuting.

- Decently quick in summer
- Wider tire selection for the crappy roads / gravel etc you will encounter.
- Disc brakes (low maintenance, best for winter, nice to have the stopping power to avoid stupid motorists/pedestrians/wildlife)
- Ability to easily fit studded tires on in the winter.
- We rarely get heavy snow - so a really wide tire isn't often needed, and the pathways around the river are cleared quite quickly.

I built up a CX bike on a Nashbar cyclocross frame. Otherwise would have chosen a Kona JTS also.

I have commuted in the past on a MTBike, Singlespeed, Road Bike, fate bike, etc. Still find the CX the most versatile. (I did kill a tire and wheel yesterday though. :banghead: )

997TT
04-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Would you buy the kona JTS 2016 for $1700 or the 2016 Giant TCX SLR 2 for $1400 (put $300 towards other stuff) or TCX SLR 1 for $1700?
Place in Canmore can get the JTS and cycle path has the 2016 Giants on sale.

buh_buh
04-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Which components are on each bike?

D'z Nutz
04-20-2017, 06:33 PM
I'm just comparing the components now and they're so similar, you're really splitting hairs. They're all Shimano 105. The SLR 1 uses an Ultegra rear derailleur so it's a little smoother shifting but the commuter isn't gonna notice that, certainly not at a $300 difference.

The only noticeable difference are the Giants use a thru-axle while the Kona uses QR, which again I don't think really matters for commuting.

At this point, the difference is fit and feel to you.

997TT
04-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Without posting the full specs I copied in the highlights.

Slr2
ALUXX SLR-grade aluminum frame with D-Fuse SL composite seatpost
Composite fork with alloy OverDrive steerer
Giant S-X2 rims, Giant Sport Tracker hubs, stainless spokes
Shimano 105 11-speed shifting
TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes

Slr1
ALUXX SLR-grade aluminum frame with D-Fuse SL composite seatpost
Composite fork with alloy OverDrive steerer
Giant P-X2 rims, Giant Sport Tracker hubs with 15mm front thru axle
Shimano 105 11-speed shifting
TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes

JTS
Frame Material: Kona Race Light 7005 Aluminum Butted
Wheels: WTB STp i19
Fork: Kona Full Carbon CX Race Disc
Crankset: FSA Gossamer CX N11
Drivetrain: Shimano 105 11-32t 11-speed
Cockpit: Kona Road bar, Kona Road Deluxe stem, Kona cork tape
Brakes: Hayes CX Expert
Tires: Clement MXP 700x33c
Saddle: WTB Volt Comp

997TT
04-20-2017, 06:36 PM
I'm just comparing the components now and they're so similar, you're really splitting hairs. They're all Shimano 105. The SLR 1 uses an Ultegra rear derailleur so it's a little smoother shifting but the commuter isn't gonna notice that, certainly not at a $300 difference.

The only noticeable difference are the Giants use a thru-axle while the Kona uses QR, which again I don't think really matters for commuting.

Thanks I'll pop by bow cycle since they have the 2017 then over the cyclepath

Penguin_Racecar
04-21-2017, 07:46 AM
Just a couple of things to add:
- The giants have a press fit bottom bracket, while the Jake has gone back to a threaded bottom bracket. I dislike press fit as it requires addition tools (a press and specialty tools) and I've had problems with them creaking.
- I've heard good things about the TRP spyre brakes over the Hayes CX brakes
- The Giants may feel slower due to Maxxis Mud Wrestler tires vs the Clement MXP. Both are mud tires but the MXP has a slightly better center tread pattern. If you plan to fair weather commute on pathways I'd swap tires out for some 28mm Continental Gatorskins anyway as they'll roll much faster on pavement.

Both look like solid bikes. I'd go test ride a bunch and see if there's one in particular you prefer over the other.

D'z Nutz
04-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
- The Giants may feel slower due to Maxxis Mud Wrestler tires vs the Clement MXP. Both are mud tires but the MXP has a slightly better center tread pattern. If you plan to fair weather commute on pathways I'd swap tires out for some 28mm Continental Gatorskins anyway as they'll roll much faster on pavement.

Actually that's a good point. If you're not planning on riding in the mud and shit, ask the bike shop if they'll swap the tires for ones more suitable for pavement. Some bike shops will do it and you just pay the difference on the tires.

J-hop
04-21-2017, 10:47 AM

My personal opinion is to go QR over through axle for the average on road rider. Just annoying to have to always remember tools if you ever transport the bike. Just my opinion though.

997TT
04-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Called cyclepath and the SLR2 is gone. Only have 2016 SLR 1 left. So based on everyone's input I'll lean toward JTS. Will hit bow cycle tonight to get fitted and to try it out.

Penguin_Racecar
04-21-2017, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by 997TT
Called cyclepath and the SLR2 is gone. Only have 2016 SLR 1 left. So based on everyone's input I'll lean toward JTS. Will hit bow cycle tonight to get fitted and to try it out.

Cool - let us know what you end up with!

997TT
04-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Ended up with the 2016 JTS. Bow will order it Monday and I should get it late next week hopefully.

Super pumped to start riding in. Where do you guys buy accessories? Online or in store.

My one buddy says chain reaction is where he gets his stuff. Anybody else use them or another site?

J-hop
04-21-2017, 06:08 PM
Siiiick! Congrats

D'z Nutz
04-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Niiiiice! Awesome choice!

Yeah I usually get my stuff from Chain Reaction if it's a lot cheaper than getting it local. Like locks, tires, tools, and things like that are so much cheaper on Chain Reaction. If it's something that's just a couple bucks difference and I can't wait, I'll just get it from MEC or Bow.

lilmira
04-21-2017, 06:18 PM
Chainreaction, wiggle, Merlin, probikekit are the shops that I use regularly. Ribble is good too but they don't offer free shipping anymore it appears.

D'z Nutz
04-21-2017, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Chainreaction, wiggle, Merlin, probikekit are the shops that I use regularly. Ribble is good too but they don't offer free shipping anymore it appears.

When was the last time you ordered from probikekit? I heard the service has gone down hill over the last couple of years.

lilmira
04-21-2017, 06:27 PM
My last shipment was few weeks ago and I have another jersey coming in as we speak lol. I had may be half a dozen orders from them in the last 12 months without any problem. I don't know if it makes any difference, they were all small orders of either clothing, accessories or spare parts. There have been some good deals from them that I couldn't resist.

msommers
04-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Haven't had any issues ordering from Chain Reaction or Probike. I ordered a couple seats from Ribble and one will have to go back, so we'll see how that goes.

I find how a company handles returns/warranty is what can really make them stand out (good or bad).

D'z Nutz
04-22-2017, 12:47 AM
Good to know. I saw some things on there that were cheaper than Chain Reaction and Wiggle but heard bad things about them being slow to ship so I wasn't sure if they were reliable retailers.

Brent.ff
04-25-2017, 03:35 PM
dont forget that if it's not on strava, it didnt happen (and join the Work Commuter thread...seemed to have started off the exact way this one did..though i went a hell of a lot cheaper!)

997TT
05-03-2017, 09:16 AM
2.5 rides in...started on Monday. That ride home from DT to Westsprings is nasty. first day just about died I think (that hill from the river to behind shag golf course and hill from sarcee/bow up Westsprings). Yesterday was better....can't wait to see how I feel in a week or two.

Even riding in where it is a lot of downhill/even surfaces I'm a fkn sweaty mess by the time I pull into the building bike cage. haha.

treating it like a workout so "trying" to go as fast as I can. Right now taking about 30 min door to door (bldg. by eau Claire) and about 40 min riding home. Would love to shave 5 min off those times as I get in better shape.

Brent.ff
05-03-2017, 11:59 PM
get clipless shoes, and in shape, and you'll easily shave 5 off. I average ~7 minutes faster then my first ride in, when i'm just cruising, and almost 10 minutes faster when im flying (and only a 11 km ride)