PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling United Alarm

Pipty
04-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Wondering if anyone has any experience cancelling United Alarm service. Would you be able to use the alarm as normal without the monitoring portion and have it be a noise maker basically? I assume I would own the system after the contract has expired.

hampstor
04-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Yup - it would just make noise as it's not connected.

I contemplated doing what you did, however I still really wanted monitoring cause it included fire and flood sensors.

I figured I could get the discount on the monitoring since they would've subsidized the cost of the hardware over the term in the monitoring cost. They ended up reducing the monitoring fee to $16/month.

jabjab
04-19-2017, 03:04 PM
I'm no longer on a contract and they told me it would cost money if I cancelled :dunno:

71/454
04-19-2017, 03:42 PM
I think you can get a fine from the city for an unmonitored alarm if someone complains though.
I had mine set up to dial my cell originally, but then went monitored. Interestingly enough United was the one who set it up for me to dial my cell.

ExtraSlow
04-19-2017, 06:12 PM
I cancelled United alarm at my house, and had no hassles. However, didn't ever try to set it as a noisemaker alarm after the fact though. That seems pointless.

nagooro
10-08-2020, 08:44 PM
A bit off topic, but does anyone know what kind of sensors united alarm uses? wonder if I can connect them to a ring alarm system

BigShow
10-09-2020, 09:16 PM
A bit off topic, but does anyone know what kind of sensors united alarm uses? wonder if I can connect them to a ring alarm system

Honeywell

'93 SR-V
10-10-2020, 07:39 AM
Honeywell

We have an alarm that was installed by United about 3 years ago and when our contract was up we switched the monitoring to Securepol. When the Securepol guy was over setting things up he pointed out that while our panel was Honeywell our motion sensors were compatible knock offs. Not sure if that would impact their ability to connect to a ring system but might be something to keep in mind!