PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to repaint my bumper?

ExtraSlow
04-25-2017, 12:47 PM
There is some rust on the front bumper of the truck I just bought. Wondering if there is anyone out there who dabbles in auto paint that wants to do this with me? Can do this at my place or yours. I'll take the bumper off and get started on the prep. Assuming this is a one-day kind of thing. Because it's a pickup truck bumper, not worried about orange-peel or anything. Also because the bumper will be off the truck, should be more forgiving with masking etc, and I would tolerate a slight mismatch, which seems likely on a faded red.

Pic
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2901/34123889846_7820672228_b.jpg

Thoughts or suggestions? any idea how much in materials a guy would be looking at for this kind of work?

SkiBum5.0
04-25-2017, 12:58 PM
With a good tape and mask job I don't think I'd even take the bumper off. sand or media blast it, prime, sand, repeat, than use a shaker can of matching paint+ clearcoat. When I did an engine bay that's what I did, and while not looking like a pro jog, it's passable.

G-ZUS
04-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Easy rattle can fix

ExtraSlow
04-25-2017, 02:33 PM
Yeah, this should be dead easy, I totally agree. I'll probably end up doing it myself, but if anyone has fun doing this kind of thing, I'm always down for hanging with another beyonder, and possibly learning something at the same time.

G-ZUS
04-25-2017, 03:18 PM
I'd take you up on that but I haven't rattle-canned in forever

carson blocks
04-25-2017, 09:02 PM
You're going to too much trouble. Before next winter, I'll be doing the front bumper of my 2016 Longhorn. It will be done on the truck with rattle cans and basic supplies, and with any luck will look almost as good as factory. Pretty forgiving area for a DIY job with the bumper in place, especially on a '09 truck.

ercchry
04-25-2017, 09:07 PM
I'd either find a chrome replacement or bedliner in black... front and back... no point of putting in all that effort to colour match just for the same results after one winter

Tik-Tok
04-25-2017, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
I'd either find a chrome replacement or bedliner in black... front and back... no point of putting in all that effort to colour match just for the same results after one winter

Bedliner the front, back, and lower doors/rockers.

Looks good IMO

https://www.f150forum.com/attachments/f4/290835d1391972943t-bedlining-rocker-panels-bumpers-fender-flares-forumrunner_20140209_140849.jpg

heavyD
04-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Anyone ever got a metal bumper powder coated? I always wondered how that would hold up.

Abeo
04-27-2017, 09:22 AM
If I wasn't balls deep in my current projects, that seems like a fun quick project. I love that red and would like to see how a solid color lays (I have only done a handful of metallics so far).

I'm sure a production shop would knock it out in a day, but I would take a number of evenings to let the products properly cure between steps.

What I would do:
Sandblast the rust
epoxy primer
fill the pits with filler (if needed). Scuff the rest of the bumper
filler primer, block sand
seal the filler primer, base, clear (could use single stage since it's a solid color)

Part of the problem would be getting the base coat in a small enough quantity. A pint is still going to cost a fair bit. Spray bombing would be way cheaper... but I'm done with that with things I care about. Rattle cans are shitty quality for the same amount of work, and never seem to last.

JfuckinC
04-27-2017, 10:39 AM
If you go bedliner, the rattle can shit sucks. it will chip away and look like complete shit, I did mine twice. And yes I prepped it/rouged it up. And I COATED this thing.. Going with a shop to do it is $$$ though so....

Third time I did plasti-dip and it looks mint lol..My winter wheels are plasti-dipped too and they look mint after 4 years.

Just my experience with painting bumpers. (mine was chrome) :dunno:

Hallowed_point
04-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Abeo

What I would do:
Sandblast the rust
epoxy primer
fill the pits with filler (if needed). Scuff the rest of the bumper
filler primer, block sand
seal the filler primer, base, clear (could use single stage since it's a solid color)

Part of the problem would be getting the base coat in a small enough quantity. A pint is still going to cost a fair bit. Spray bombing would be way cheaper... but I'm done with that with things I care about. Rattle cans are shitty quality for the same amount of work, and never seem to last.

This right here.

ExtraSlow
04-27-2017, 04:49 PM
This is great info everyone, thanks. Keep the suggestions rolling in!

benyl
05-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Have you done anything with this?

I need to do it as well. Not sure if I pick up a cheap ass sand blaster and then rattle can some color matched bedliner on it.

Should have put 3M on the truck, but when I got it, I said "It's a truck!' haha

ExtraSlow
05-07-2017, 01:44 PM
I haven't done anything with it. Realistically if I do, it'll be happening in June or later. I'm away every weekend in May, and a have a few projects to keep my weekdays busy as well.

benyl
06-22-2017, 04:37 PM
I just picked this up. I figure $15 is worth the experiment.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-air-powered-sandblaster-0589446p.html#srp

D'z Nutz
06-22-2017, 08:36 PM

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-air-powered-sandblaster-0589446p.html#srp

Man, for $15 even I'm curious now haha

Ca_Silvia13
06-23-2017, 07:48 AM

I'm oddly intrigued by this too. Have you tried it out yet or are you holding out till the weekend

benyl
06-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Weekend. And it might not be this weekend.