PDA

View Full Version : Newb question (Idle)

Strider
03-22-2004, 01:39 PM
My car (92 Talon Tsi) has what I think is a bit of hesitation in the idle, but I have no idea if it's normal or if there something wrong (in which case, i dont' know what is causing it). It idles pretty low, and the dash lights dim a little bit when it's happening. I took a recording, here: http://members.shaw.ca/corytang/MOV02385.avi. From the sound of it, is there anything wrong?

Can someone explain in newb terms what I can do to check/fix it?

Also, there's a bit of a popping noise when I downshift and coast while i'm decelerating. Is that an indication of a problem?

Thanks all

SinisterProbeGt
03-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Sounds like dirty Injectors to me

QuasarCav
03-22-2004, 02:04 PM
By the popping it sounds exhuast/fuel related.

When you rev it does it pop like mad when you let off?

Alot of things can cause ruff idle:

Injectors dirty
Spark plug are old
Plug wires are old
Distributor problems
Fuel pump
Timing

I'm not to familiar with non chevy engines though!!

Gonthro
03-22-2004, 02:08 PM
yea, i'd say take it in for a tune up and dump a bottle of injector cleaner in it at your next fill up, you should notice a big diffrence.

Strider
03-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
By the popping it sounds exhuast/fuel related.

When you rev it does it pop like mad when you let off?

Alot of things can cause ruff idle:

1.Injectors dirty
2.Spark plug are old
3.Plug wires are old
4.Distributor problems
5.Fuel pump
6.Timing

I'm not to familiar with non chevy engines though!!

It pops a lot, but it's not that loud... it doesn't always happen either:dunno:

So if I wanted to start diagnosing/fixing, what order should I work in, for least work to most work?

for #1, would dumping a bottle of "fuel injector cleaner" into my gas tank work? I'm already using Petro Canada's "super clean" gas.

QuasarCav
03-22-2004, 02:31 PM
most of that superclean shit will not clean really dirty injectors.

You have to actually pull them out and clean them. Work through the order and hopefully you will have an idea of what it isn't.

Have you tuned up the eng. lately? that is where i would start, it makes it so you have less things that could cause this.

so, get your plugs/wires done, throw in some top engine cleaner, maybe a fuel/air filter. It that cures your problem then your all good, if not post back and we'll try to help.

SwitchBlade
03-23-2004, 01:05 PM
it could be as simple as a loose wire it happened to my ride so i just made sure it fit around the sparkplug properly.

apollo guy
03-23-2004, 05:35 PM
check the snorkel from the throttle body to the air flow meter ,make sure there is no rips or cracks in it .

EK 2.0
03-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Ok everyone its a TURBOCHARGED car so there will be a lil popping, esp in DSM's...there is NO tube from the MAF to the T.B. as there is a lot of turbo related items in the path of that

DSM's have notoriously bad idles, and bad idle issues...

STRIDER, it occured to me last night that you should check your battery terminals, they tend to corrode quickly and casue eletrical delivery problems...

Also check the links I will make available to you...

Idle Speed Screw (http://www.vfaq.com/mods/BISS-1G.html)

Idle Surge (http://www.dsm.org/how-tos/tttt/tttt3.html)

Idle Speed Control (http://dmtalon.v8eaters.com/ISC.html)

If you have anymore questions please shoot me a PM...

*EDIT*...I know you just picked up the DSM man, but save up some cash and replace the O2 Sensor if it already hasnt been done...

///M3
03-23-2004, 06:23 PM
It could be that its running a little to lean.

sti_power
03-23-2004, 09:38 PM
I would say dirty injectors:barf:

Moe Man
03-23-2004, 10:48 PM
first off your injectors can never get too dirty to clean cuz you most likely would have fixed the problem earlier.

second i think it is your throttle body position sensor,MAP sensor...disconect your TBPS and see it there is a difference.thats my two cents:thumbsup: