PDA

View Full Version : Flashed once crossing a traffic light intersection on amber?

quorum
04-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Traffic light turned amber when I was about 1 car length away from the crossing going about 30km/h on Macleod Tr (25th Ave intersection), accelerated to 40-50 and I believe it was still amber when I entered the intersection but probably turned red shortly after. I was flashed once only.

What does this mean? Thanks!

colinxx235
04-26-2017, 09:46 AM
You're screwed now, SWAT is going to come and raid your house. Disrespect your whole family

TomcoPDR
04-26-2017, 09:50 AM
Were they firm, saggy, perky, etc.

Thaco
04-26-2017, 09:52 AM
i've seen them ticket even entering on a yellow, if there was a camera in the box, you can probably expect a special delivery.

Mitsu3000gt
04-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Those cameras get triggered falsely ALL The time. You should see the one at Elbow & Southland, it's basically a strobe light - even when there are no cars in the intersection or people are turning right on the red.

It has to take two pictures to nail you, one with a red light visible BEFORE you enter the intersection, and one showing you going through it. As long as you entered on a yellow you're good, whether it went off or not. I've been flashed by those cameras dozens of times with no tickets.

What was the speed limit? Could have also been a speed on green.

Tik-Tok
04-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by quorum

Only one flash means it was likely a speed-on-green camera.

dirtsniffer
04-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Only one flash means it was likely a speed-on-green camera.

QFT

quorum
04-26-2017, 10:52 AM
The lights changed to amber just as the car in front crossed the line. I looked in the rear view mirror as I was in the middle of the intersection, so conceivably there could have been a flash just as I entered the intersection that I didn't notice? I'm pretty sure the light did not change to red until after I had already entered the intersection.

http://www.ci.milton.fl.us/ImageRepository/Document?documentID=882

Assuming the lights work the same as the image above, I'm probably hooped since I saw a flash in "image 2" position, but I wasn't looking when I was in "image 1" position, but I'm pretty sure it didn't turn red when I could still see the first traffic light.

Fines are now $388! :-(

JRSC00LUDE
04-26-2017, 11:01 AM

Was it one flash or, a double flash?

Hallowed_point
04-26-2017, 11:06 AM
The cam on macleod & 12 ave se is always going off. Freaks me out sometimes.

Mitsu3000gt
04-26-2017, 11:07 AM
The lights changed to amber just as the car in front crossed the line. I looked in the rear view mirror as I was in the middle of the intersection, so conceivably there could have been a flash just as I entered the intersection that I didn't notice? I'm pretty sure the light did not change to red until after I had already entered the intersection.

http://www.ci.milton.fl.us/ImageRepository/Document?documentID=882

Assuming the lights work the same as the image above, I'm probably hooped since I saw a flash in "image 2" position, but I wasn't looking when I was in "image 1" position, but I'm pretty sure it didn't turn red when I could still see the first traffic light.

Fines are now $388! :-(

Unless you broke through the first line of the intersection on a solid red, you're fine. If you entered on a yellow or just as it was changing you're fine.

Also if you were actually only going 40-50km/h max, there is no way you got a speed on green either. I doubt you have anything to worry about.

quorum
04-26-2017, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Unless you broke through the first line of the intersection on a solid red, you're fine. If you entered on a yellow or just as it was changing you're fine.

Also if you were actually only going 40-50km/h max, there is no way you got a speed on green either. I doubt you have anything to worry about.

I might have been halfway over the line when it turned to red? I remember my feeling at the time was that I was in the intersection when it was red, but I did not cross the line when it was red.

When I looked back I saw it only flash once, and I remember watching backward for at least a split second before seeing a flash. I could also be seeing things because I once passed a speed camera mounted on a car and looked back and thought I saw a flash (I was at the speed limit) but I didn't get any ticket, so it's conceivable that I just imagined a flash.

bah!

Mitsu3000gt
04-26-2017, 11:27 AM

I might have been halfway over the line when it turned to red? I remember my feeling at the time was that I was in the intersection when it was red, but I did not cross the line when it was red.

When I looked back I saw it only flash once, and I remember watching backward for at least a split second before seeing a flash. I could also be seeing things because I once passed a speed camera mounted on a car and looked back and thought I saw a flash (I was at the speed limit) but I didn't get any ticket, so it's conceivable that I just imagined a flash.

bah!

The light has to be completely red BEFORE you break the intersection for you to get a ticket. Anything else and you're fine. If you were half way over the line when it turned red, you're fine.

The automated cameras have false triggers ALL the time. Like I said I have been through them dozens of times with a flash (or two) and no ticket. They are extremely unreliable and horribly inaccurate.

You weren't speeding either so you won't get a speed on green ticket.

There's also nothing you can do about it either way, so there's no sense worrying about it. You can't change anything. Based on everything you've said here you won't get a ticket if it's true.

tonytiger55
04-26-2017, 12:02 PM
You'l be fine. Light has to be fully red.
Though keep in mind the lights that have cameras switch from green to red a lot faster... A LOT faster. They do this on purpose.

Originally posted by colinxx235
You're screwed now, SWAT is going to come and raid your house. Disrespect your whole family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HJNAv-2GFI

quorum
04-26-2017, 12:10 PM
thanks guys. I was really looking for consolation, because you have a split second to decide whether you're going to brake or cross the line when you're close and it changes to amber, and it kind of sucks to be penalized in cases like that especially when the fine is so steep. If the fine was $150, I'd just suck it up and pay it and try to be more careful next time, but when the fine is $388 it really sucks to be penalized the same as if I was approaching a red light and decided to cross it. Appreciate everyone's patience in the matter.

tonytiger55
04-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by tonytiger55
Light has to be fully red when you cross.
Though keep in mind the lights that have cameras switch from green to red a lot faster... A LOT faster. They do this on purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HJNAv-2GFI