PDA

View Full Version : Lipiflow Eye treatment for dry eyes

Hero_X
04-26-2017, 12:04 PM
Hey beyonders,

so I've had dry eyes for a very long time and finally decided to address it. My optometrist mentioned the reason for my dry eyes is the oil from the eyelid glands is not as present and the glands need to be worked more.

She mentioned this treatment: Lipiflow

I checked it out online and it seems like a very good treatment for dry eyes but it's expensive as fuck!

Have any of you tried this treatment?

Has it been effective?

And lastly, did any insurance provider cover any portion of the cost or was it all out of pocket?

G-ZUS
04-26-2017, 01:02 PM
It's still pretty new with no real reviews. Seems like a money grab at this point.

Tik-Tok
04-26-2017, 01:11 PM
Are you at a computer all day? If yes, then you just have to start blinking more. Set up a timer app on your phone to remind you to drink more water, and blink more.

A790
04-26-2017, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
It's still pretty new with no real reviews. Seems like a money grab at this point.
Respectfully, this is far from the truth. LipiFlow basically acts as a super technologically advanced warm compress. Meibomian gland dysfunction is the main cause of dry eye. LipiFlow is very effective at unclogging these glands.

https://www.reviewofophthalmology.com/article/what-to-expect-from--your-dryeye-device

Important piece to note: LipiFlow is not effective if your cause of dry eye isn't related to meibomian glands.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Are you at a computer all day? If yes, then you just have to start blinking more. Set up a timer app on your phone to remind you to drink more water, and blink more.
That's like saying that the best way to address back pain is to sit up straighter. I mean, it's good advice, but it isn't always the solution.

For anyone with more than mild/intermittent dry eye, blinking more and drinking more water isn't going to do much.

G-ZUS
04-26-2017, 01:44 PM
Im going off what i was told by 2 different optometrists. Have you tried had it done Cam?

A790
04-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Im going off what i was told by 2 different optometrists. Have you tried had it done Cam?
Yes.

I was ready to rip my eyes out. Tried everything from eye drops to BlephEx. LipiFlow provided an almost immediate improvement.

I also work with a ton of Optometrists (http://marketing4ecps.com/). Opinion is mixed, but most I talk to support it.

G-ZUS
04-26-2017, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by A790

Yes.

I was ready to rip my eyes out. Tried everything from eye drops to BlephEx. LipiFlow provided an almost immediate improvement.

I also work with a ton of Optometrists (http://marketing4ecps.com/). Opinion is mixed, but most I talk to support it.

Awesome, well it's good to see a real positive review. Did you have it done by at dr Mitchell's? Price? It's an on-going thing correct where you have to go back for repeat procedure?

A790
04-26-2017, 05:16 PM

Awesome, well it's good to see a real positive review. Did you have it done by at dr Mitchell's? Price? It's an on-going thing correct where you have to go back for repeat procedure?
I had mine done in Vancouver. Cost was around $1,500.

Not cheap, that's for sure.

Thaco
04-26-2017, 05:47 PM
thanks for the info, my dad puts in drops every like 20 mins all day every day, he has an appt next week, i told him to ask about this.

A790
04-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
thanks for the info, my dad puts in drops every like 20 mins all day every day, he has an appt next week, i told him to ask about this.
Dry eye sucks. I hope it works out for him :)

Hero_X
04-27-2017, 12:12 AM
Question:

So after u shelled out $1500 for that one treatment, did you ever have to do it again?

Like is it one shot deal or is it something that has to be done every month or year or whatever?

A790
04-27-2017, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Hero_X
Question:

So after u shelled out $1500 for that one treatment, did you ever have to do it again?

Like is it one shot deal or is it something that has to be done every month or year or whatever?
I haven't had it done since. My dry eye has really abated quite a bit. I wouldn't attribute this abatement to LipiFlow directly, by the way. I mean, it helped, but I don't think it handled it on its own.

I noticed meaningful improvement in a couple of weeks, and further improvement a few weeks later.

G-ZUS
04-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by A790

I haven't had it done since. My dry eye has really abated quite a bit. I wouldn't attribute this abatement to LipiFlow directly, by the way. I mean, it helped, but I don't think it handled it on its own.

I noticed meaningful improvement in a couple of weeks, and further improvement a few weeks later.

So what else helped after the Lipiflow treatment?

A790
04-27-2017, 09:23 AM
So what else helped after the Lipiflow treatment?
TBH I'm not 100% sure. My TBUT is within normal ranges again, and discomfort that lasted for several months has greatly reduced. Now I really only notice it when I'm outside on a windy day.

I still occasionally will use eye drops (sometimes I'll wake up at 3am to burning eyes), but that's pretty sporadic.

I was considering getting plugs so I'm glad I didn't have to go that route.

Hero_X
05-05-2017, 01:26 PM
I was considering plugs too but then after seeing my optometrist recently, she told me about the evaporative dry eyes.

Lipiflow would really help my situation but I can't afford to shell out $1500 :banghead:

I talked to my insurance provider and they'll cover 75$.... :rofl:

Are there any other things that can be done to help with dry eyes, after lipiflow treatment or even with out lipiflow?

G-ZUS
05-05-2017, 01:46 PM
I was considering plugs too but then after seeing my optometrist recently, she told me about the evaporative dry eyes.

Lipiflow would really help my situation but I can't afford to shell out $1500 :banghead:

I talked to my insurance provider and they'll cover 75$.... :rofl:

Are there any other things that can be done to help with dry eyes, after lipiflow treatment or even with out lipiflow?

These seem to help me more than others

https://www.systane.com/products/systane-balance-lubricating-eye-drops/

A790
05-05-2017, 03:11 PM
Look into Restasis (eye drops) and Xiidra (moar eye drops).

Hero_X
05-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Thanks,

I'm already using systane balance and it definitely helps.

For Restasis and Xiidra, are they prescription based or have u been able to get it over the counter?

A790
05-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Thanks,

I'm already using systane balance and it definitely helps.

For Restasis and Xiidra, are they prescription based or have u been able to get it over the counter?
Both prescription.

tonytiger55
05-05-2017, 03:43 PM
I used to have dry eyes too.

Have you tried the warm salt water and cotton pad to clean eyes & eyelids at night?

ExtraSlow
03-22-2018, 02:38 PM
Anyone have thoughts on dry eyes after a cataract surgery? Like long after, the surgery was a hear ago, but that's when the problem became noticeable. My mom claims her optometrist and ophthalmologist are just not answering her questions. It's also possible she's a grumpy old lady. Anyway, always looking for suggestions.