PDA

View Full Version : small SUV / Crossover Recommendations...

Nufy
04-28-2017, 10:22 AM
I am looking for a new SUV / Crossover for my wife.

We will be test driving a few different models over the next few weeks.

Looking for opinions on the following:

Hyundai Tuscon / Santa Fe
Dodge Journey
Jeep Compass/Patriot/Cherokee
Chev / GM Equinox
Nissan Rogue

Ford Escapes and anything by Kia are out. (her preference)

What would you do ???

Thanks.

jwslam
04-28-2017, 10:26 AM
What is your budget? Brand new only? SUV only?

Manufacturers on your list
Jeep Renegade
Nissan Juke / X-Trail

Others
Rav4 / Venza
CR-V / HR-V
Encore
XV crosstrek
CX-3 / CX-5

/inbeforePorscheWagon

edit: highly opposed to the Equinox. It's the most gutless thing I've driven, almost as bad as the current Pathfinder.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/compare/jeep_patriot_2016_choices

Nufy
04-28-2017, 10:27 AM
Approx 30K max not opposed to a lease either.

No Porsches / Luxury vehicles.

I suggested a few AWD cars but she declined.

New only.

mzdspd
04-28-2017, 10:29 AM
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/cx-5/2016/small-crossover-comparison-big-test/

My top picks would be:

Mazda CX-5- they just released a brand new model.
Tuscon
CRV
Tiguan- older platform so they probably have lots of good discounts.

Sugarphreak
04-28-2017, 10:34 AM

R-Audi
04-28-2017, 11:04 AM
We have had a Santa Fe since 2014, and love it.... seemed to get more bang for your buck.

Sonic
04-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Both Toyota and Honda have launched cheaper lines of CUV's that fall easily into your budget

Honda HR-V
Toyota C-HR

With that said, you really can't beat the CR-V or RAV4 in the cross over segment. Best reliability, best features, best driving feel, best winter traction and handling, best resale. If you go to an out of town dealer you can probably get one on budget

C-HR has no AWD...looks awesome though, like baby NX, I'd consider it if it had AWD and more power.

Hallowed_point
04-28-2017, 11:07 AM
Crosstour?

HuMz
04-28-2017, 11:13 AM
My wife really likes the new Rogue. Going off memory it has the 2nd best mileage behind the CX-5. Had the most comfortable seats, was the easiest to drive, tons of room for rear passangers, and fully loaded with every option was around $32000.

I liked the Santa fe and CX-5 much better because the engine setups are superior with more responsive handling. However, for someone who wants comfort, reliability, gas mileage, and good bang for your buck I think the Rogue is a good match.

While not on your list, I did have a Rav-4 rental for 3 months and I couldn't find anything in that vehicle that justified the additional price compared to the Rogue.

tonytiger55
04-28-2017, 11:32 AM
How long do you intend to keep the vehicle? Year/Mileage?

btimbit
04-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
We have had a Santa Fe since 2014, and love it.... seemed to get more bang for your buck.

Yeah we love our Santa Fe. Seemed to get more for your money and just 'felt' a lot better than the Toyota and Honda. Those industrious little Koreans have sure come a long way.

If I were to travel back in time though I'd give the Tuscon a harder look too. Neighbor just bought one and it's pretty slick looking for what should have been another boring small CUV

Prelude_dude
04-28-2017, 11:49 AM
The struggle with RAV4 and CRV would be the budget. Fully loaded is pretty close to 40k if i remember correctly. I believe even the base models start over 30k.

Nufy
04-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by tonytiger55
How long do you intend to keep the vehicle? Year/Mileage?
If I lease..till the lease return 3 - 4 years

Buy...Till it drops

heavyD
04-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Both Toyota and Honda have launched cheaper lines of CUV's that fall easily into your budget

Honda HR-V
Toyota C-HR

With that said, you really can't beat the CR-V or RAV4 in the cross over segment. Best reliability, best features, best driving feel, best winter traction and handling, best resale. If you go to an out of town dealer you can probably get one on budget

I don't know man. Forester resale is hard to beat and RAV4's are so dime a dozen that it's a buyer's market used. RAV4's are also incredibly mediocre considering you are paying the Toyota premium. There are many better CUV's on the market.

Skrilla
04-28-2017, 12:18 PM
5 or so years ao I would have never said this, but Hyundai is a lot of vehicle for the money IMO.

Sugarphreak
04-28-2017, 12:43 PM

Aleks
04-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Nufy

Dodge Journey
Chev / GM Equinox
Nissan Rogue

What would you do ???

Thanks.

New CRV easily the best overall CUV in its segment right now. CX-5 close second if driving dynamics are important.

max_boost
04-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Golf Wagon?

mazdavirgin
04-28-2017, 01:58 PM
I think the only vehicles I would look at are the CR-V or CX-5. :dunno:

Best quality in the segment. Everything else is sub par.

ExtraSlow
04-28-2017, 02:01 PM
Merc B-class.

asp integra
04-28-2017, 02:05 PM
Q5

mr2mike
04-28-2017, 02:05 PM
If you fit this criteria:

27-31 yrs old
Newly married
New home buyers, leveraged to the titties.

You will go with a Hyundai

Seems like anyone meeting that criteria is going that route.
Personally know 3 couples in that catergory.

Nufy
04-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
If you fit this criteria:

27-31 yrs old
Newly married
New home buyers, leveraged to the titties.

You will go with a Hyundai

Seems like anyone meeting that criteria is going that route.
Personally know 3 couples in that catergory.

No
No
and No...

spike98
04-28-2017, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
Q5

lol

Xtrema
04-28-2017, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Nufy

Dodge Journey
Chev / GM Equinox
Nissan Rogue

What would you do ???

Thanks.

Budget of $30K.....

- Santa Fe is out unless you find a bare bone model from last year stuck on the lot. You won't get one for $30K.
- Journey with pentastar V6 is cheap but that car is now almost a decade old, you may not like the design in 2017.
- Stay the fuck away from Compass
- You won't get much of a Rogue or Equinox at $30K
- You may get a year end, not quite loaded Cherokee under $30K with cash.
- No idea on Tucson pricing wise.

I think you need to add another $5K to the budget for a decent new CUV.

Compass/Tucson are compact CUV and the rest are more mid size.

For Compact CUV which is more likely be under $30K, you may also want to check out:
- CX-3 == expensive and not much room but good driver.
- CH-R == FWD only and huge blind spot but more European styling
- HR-V == It's basically a lifted Fit.
- Qashaqai == Mini Rogue, sell like hot cakes in Europe.
- Crosstrek/Impreza hatch

Hallowed_point
04-28-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm trying to get my dad into one of these. His idea of performance was a 2001 Grand Am with a V6 so I think it'll do.

90_Shelby
04-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Volvo XC60. You should be able to find one a couple of years old without a ton of km on it for your budget. Take advantage of their depreciation and get a great vehicle at a good price.

zehnd
04-28-2017, 08:29 PM
The Chev Equinox has been redesigned.

Dealers have 2017's with a 6500 cash discount right now plus 750 after tax discount. 0% you will have 2000 finance cash. Depending how long you want to finance for the cash discount is the way to go.

If you want a v6 engine buy a 2017 because GM is going with turbos and diesel engines in 2018.

heavyD
04-28-2017, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Budget of $30K.....

- Santa Fe is out unless you find a bare bone model from last year stuck on the lot. You won't get one for $30K.
- Journey with pentastar V6 is cheap but that car is now almost a decade old, you may not like the design in 2017.
- Stay the fuck away from Compass
- You won't get much of a Rogue or Equinox at $30K
- You may get a year end, not quite loaded Cherokee under $30K with cash.
- No idea on Tucson pricing wise.

I think you need to add another $5K to the budget for a decent new CUV.

Compass/Tucson are compact CUV and the rest are more mid size.

For Compact CUV which is more likely be under $30K, you may also want to check out:
- CX-3 == expensive and not much room but good driver.
- CH-R == FWD only and huge blind spot but more European styling
- HR-V == It's basically a lifted Fit.
- Qashaqai == Mini Rogue, sell like hot cakes in Europe.
- Crosstrek/Impreza hatch

The Crosstrek is pretty solid and there may be some deals with the new models coming out soon. The 2.0L is kind of gutless but it's a good AWD system, competent vehicle and Subaru has fantastic resale.

tonytiger55
04-29-2017, 04:23 PM
If buying till it drops, then CRV or Rav4. You get your moneys worth back in reliability. I'd say the CRV is better out of the two in terms of interior. But for 30K... not sure it will hit your budget.

Im not a fan of the HRV, I find it under powered and the fuel economy is the same as the CRV. So whats the point? The HRV has the power of a constipated fart.

I personally would recommend a Cross trek. It's not a bad choice at all, Im actually a fan.
A friend (female) test drove a number of vehicles. I recommended it, she refused. Then she test drove it last and ended up buying it. :rofl:
In terms of price you get a good interior and toys. Plus the AWD system.
2.L power to weight ratio is decent. I would not go as far to say its gutless, but if you want a bit of kick then go American. But if going American..then lease, I personally find domestic garbage.

Buuuuuut in answering to your original question of the vehicles listed. If I had to say it would be Hyundai and Nissan Rogue. More towards Hyundai in terms of interior.
But Xtrema's post above pretty much nailed it on the head.

rage2
04-29-2017, 05:53 PM
We picked up a new Rogue for the MIL a year and a half ago. I was not a fan, the CVT made it completely bland driving experience. We cross shopped the RAV 4 and I liked it 100x better. MIL hated it because it wasn't comfortable and loved how smooth the Rogue transmission was so that's what we got her. So ya, asking car enthusiasts is probably a bad idea if your wife isn't one.

As for the Rogue, 0 issues.

btimbit
04-29-2017, 07:51 PM
30k might limit you to FWD's with less equipment, so check out barely used too. We got our mid range AWD 2016 Santa Fe barely used for 26.5k last fall

LUV2REV
04-29-2017, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Yeah we love our Santa Fe. Seemed to get more for your money and just 'felt' a lot better than the Toyota and Honda. Those industrious little Koreans have sure come a long way.

If I were to travel back in time though I'd give the Tuscon a harder look too. Neighbor just bought one and it's pretty slick looking for what should have been another boring small CUV

Hyundai/Kia vehicles still suffer from mediocre to very poor resale and have the driving dynamics of a cardboard box with wagon wheels at each corner. Blah...

The new CR-V would be the easy winner for me budget allowing. It is getting excellent reviews.

Sonic
04-29-2017, 09:48 PM
Someone mentioned stay the hell away from Compass but I just seen the all new Compass, really looks like a mini Grand Cherokee....thoughts? I think it looks awesome! I almost want to buy one, if only it had a little more power, 0-60 in 10 seconds :rofl: I know it's not supposed to be a fun vehicle but that is just brutal, reminds me of when I test drove a Jeep Liberty :zzz:....if only I could afford a newer GC SRT8

tehwegz
04-29-2017, 11:42 PM
Huge recall for 2.0T/2.4 Santa Fe, Optima, Sonata, Sorento etc. "catastrophic engine failure from oil starvation". Recalls, engine swaps covered under warranty, etc. so they will back you at least.

I tried the new Compass. It's pretty good. Same interior bits and chimes etc. from the Renegade, and feels just like a Renegade. It must be built on the Renegade. Even has the same epic nose dive when you get on the brakes hard that had the rear ends of FWD Renegades achieving lift under heavy braking.

It's light years ahead of the old Compass/Patriot though. Hard to imagine those made it to model year 2017... :banghead: :nut:

Oh and don't forget the VW Golf Sportwagen AllTrack. Or maybe a discount TDI Golf wagon (FWD though). New Tiguan should be coming out soon. The new VW Atlas is supposed to start at 30k but I think that's USD.

jutes
04-30-2017, 10:36 AM
I'm in the same boat, but I must have AWD for the shit roads up here. I drove the new CX-3 GT and it was amazing, definitely a great little car for around town. Don't need too much room so it fits the bill perfectly.

Sugarphreak
04-30-2017, 10:40 AM

01RedDX
04-30-2017, 11:33 AM

bjstare
05-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I'm trying to get my dad into one of these. His idea of performance was a 2001 Grand Am with a V6 so I think it'll do.

Apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Hallowed_point
05-01-2017, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
Apple didn't fall far from the tree.
:D :poosie: I am my father's son

Sugarphreak
05-01-2017, 09:23 AM

klumsy_tumbler
05-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Haven't seen it brought up yet, but have you considered a Venza? New won't be in your budget, but you can find something barely broken in for a decent price, like here:

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/Venza/Calgary/Alberta/5_31382690_20140327141225770/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=7_15_10