PDA

View Full Version : Work Advancement Question

Mostwanted
05-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Sup Beyonders, looking for some insight regarding my position at work. To give you guys a bit of background,
I have been a structural/piping drafter for about 3+ years now and currently work for a small – med fab company.
I have been given the opportunity to advance my career and potentially become a Jr. project manager, through shadowing and training.
My question is, since my post-secondary educational background only consist of a Diploma in Drafting, would I require further education such as a PMM or a business degree to supplement my future position here at this company?
I’m worried that if I apply to be a project manager at a different company later on, they would be looking for those credentials rather than my experience of work.
I still plan to further increase my knowledge and experience in drafting (Software, and 3D modeling) but I have more interest in earning more $$ and learning new skills for the future.

schurchill39
05-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Mostwanted

My question is, since my post-secondary educational background only consist of a Diploma in Drafting, would I require further education such as a PMM or a business degree to supplement my future position here at this company?

The best person to ask that question to is someone at your company as they would know more than any of us mouth breathers on beyond. I've been toying with the idea of going for my Project Management Professional designation but its very hit or miss on which companies see value in it and which don't. At the end of the day the only way getting any further education will hurt you is in the cost to get it. It won't hinder you, but not having it may create roadblocks for companies who are sticklers for pieces of paper.

Thaco
05-04-2017, 02:03 PM
honestly it cant hurt to take the advancement within your company if its what you want... they obviously think you have what it takes, and are willing to train you as required... the experience will speak louder than education on your resume, although if you do plan to switch employers you might want to "true up" your education so it aligns with your experience, although after doing the work for a while, the education piece should be cake.

Mostwanted
05-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39

The best person to ask that question to is someone at your company as they would know more than any of us mouth breathers on beyond. I've been toying with the idea of going for my Project Management Professional designation but its very hit or miss on which companies see value in it and which don't. At the end of the day the only way getting any further education will hurt you is in the cost to get it. It won't hinder you, but not having it may create roadblocks for companies who are sticklers for pieces of paper.

Yeah after the "shadowing" im pretty sure ill be taking the Project management courses a lot of them recently have just taken, if I do pursue this course of employment, I would want at least have a certification of Project management training cert.

honestly it cant hurt to take the advancement within your company if its what you want... they obviously think you have what it takes, and are willing to train you as required... the experience will speak louder than education on your resume, although if you do plan to switch employers you might want to "true up" your education so it aligns with your experience, although after doing the work for a while, the education piece should be cake.

Very true, I do plan on moving to a different company later on, heard it is very beneficial in terms of your salary to keep looking for open positions elsewhere. My plan is to do this, earn experience at least 2-3 years and see where that takes me. Although i have plans of being an full time investor in a few years, i would like to have something to fall back on.