PDA

View Full Version : German vehicle owners and the one signal click (split)

Hallowed_point
05-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Thaco

That's kind of what i'd consider a fake wash too, whats the point of wetting your hands? its not doing anything....

Basically anything that doesn't include soap and some degree of lathering, is a fake wash.

It's the same logic as BMW owners who do the one signal click as they've already crossed into your lane. Do the bare minimum even if it's pointless.

speedog
05-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

It's the same logic as BMW owners who do the one signal click as they've already crossed into your lane. Do the bare minimum even if it's pointless.

BMW owners signal?

I just thought they all had broken left arms.

msommers
05-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Haha I thought I was the only one who noticed that shit!! Actually, it's 90% of German car owners, car or SUV. I don't get it.

speedog
05-04-2017, 09:09 AM
There must be some sort of unspoken entitlement upgrader course tbat plebs like me are not privy to. :)

Hallowed_point
05-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Haha I thought I was the only one who noticed that shit!! Actually, it's 90% of German car owners, car or SUV. I don't get it.

My car also has the 1 touch , 3 click signal. But I don't use it unless it's to send a message. I feel like a dick using the 3 click signal even though it should be more than ample warning of what's about to happen.

Thaco
05-04-2017, 09:33 AM
I single click when #1 it doesn't matter because there's nobody around anywhere, or #2 i know the guy i am trying to get in front of is a douche and will close up the spot if he knows i want over.

Mitsu3000gt
05-04-2017, 09:52 AM
I love the 1-tap 3-blink signal. Start moving over on the 3rd blink and you've given more than enough notice if there is lots of room already. If there isn't lots of room I leave it on for a lot longer. You can also just hold the leaver for an extra blink or two without fully engaging it which I often do.

The most annoying thing is when it's bumper-to-bumper and people just slowly move over without a signal, basically playing a game of chicken. When they get the message that you aren't letting them in, they blink once long after it's completely pointless. If there's lots of room everywhere I don't really care.

Hallowed_point
05-04-2017, 09:56 AM
I single click when #1 it doesn't matter because there's nobody around anywhere, or #2 i know the guy i am trying to get in front of is a douche and will close up the spot if he knows i want over.

Same here.

heavyD
05-04-2017, 10:07 AM
I changed the setting of my R to 4 blinks as I feel 3 sometimes isn't enough depending on the conditions.

ExtraSlow
05-04-2017, 10:20 AM
I like that on many Ford pickups, it goes from three blinks to five when you have a trailer attached. Very handy.

msommers
05-04-2017, 11:04 AM
Thread successfully derailed.

Thaco
05-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Thread successfully derailed. :thumbsup:

Thanks whoever split it.

Sentry
05-04-2017, 11:24 AM
My turn signals emit light not visible to peons driving lesser brands.

killramos
05-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Everyone knows you don't have to signal when your car switches lanes faster than you can blink.

J-hop
05-04-2017, 12:15 PM
I signal the same no matter the situation. Signalling should be programmed in by the time you have a few years under your belt. You shouldn't have to think about signalling differently in different situations.

shakalaka
05-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Man them bulbs be expensive to replace in them Bimmers and Mercs. I ain't gonna ruin them with constant signalling!

Hallowed_point
05-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Thread successfully derailed.

Ha! That wasn't even my goal. It was just a valid comparison I thought. Now, do beyond.ca BMW owners just do the quick water rinse & jet prior to closing their next deal on bluetooth OR...do they do the lather, rinse & dry?

D'z Nutz
05-04-2017, 12:36 PM

Ha! That wasn't even my goal. It was just a valid comparison I thought. Now, do beyond.ca BMW owners just do the quick water rinse & jet to closing their next deal on bluetooth OR...do they do the lather, rinse & dry?

This asshole's trying to re-rail the thread he de-railed :rofl:

Hallowed_point
05-04-2017, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
This asshole's trying to re-rail the thread he de-railed :rofl:

If anyone is stubborn enough to attempt it, it's me.

JAYMEZ
05-04-2017, 03:51 PM

Same here

NoSup4U
05-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Ha! That wasn't even my goal. It was just a valid comparison I thought. Now, do beyond.ca BMW owners just do the quick water rinse & jet prior to closing their next deal on bluetooth OR...do they do the lather, rinse & dry?

Wash my own car?!?!?!?!? Eww

That's peasant talk :english:

killramos
05-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by NoSup4U

Wash my own car?!?!?!?!? Eww

That's peasant talk :english:

He's talking about washing your hands...

And please, doesn't everyone have someone who washes their hands for them?

Tej.S
05-04-2017, 04:47 PM
I use the single tap three blink signal about 90% of the time. The only time I ever really leave it on is if I need to get into another lane in tight traffic situations. I don't like getting cut off, so I avoid doing it to others as well.

I tend to believe that most BMW drivers abide by and enforce their own rules, written in the secret BMW version of the TSA.

NoSup4U
05-05-2017, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by killramos

He's talking about washing your hands...

And please, doesn't everyone have someone who washes their hands for them?

Really though, next thing they are going to tell us they have to wipe their own ass :barf:

never
05-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I love the 1-tap 3-blink signal...

Me too. And it's already really enjoyable seeing people who don't know how to use it...they signal to change a lane and it does the three blinks, but they were only expecting the one, so they click it back the other way and it signals three times the opposite way, then they click again...etc.!

03ozwhip
05-05-2017, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by never

Me too. And it's already really enjoyable seeing people who don't know how to use it...they signal to change a lane and it does the three blinks, but they were only expecting the one, so they click it back the other way and it signals three times the opposite way, then they click again...etc.!
I know how to use mine but I do this all the time lol

D'z Nutz
05-05-2017, 11:09 AM

Haha yeah, that happened to me the first time I took a Mini out for a test ride. I didn't know it was a thing and I kept fighting with it until I realized it was a feature :rofl:

My Harley is kind of the same way in that it has self canceling signals. It stays on if you're riding straight or stopped, but if it detects you've made a turn it blinks a couple more times and shuts off (at least I think that's how it works; I haven't and won't read the manual hahaha). I still have a habit of canceling my signals so if I wait too late, I actually end up turning them back on right after they've automatically shut off :rofl: Fortunately I'm pretty anal retentive about maintaining my speed and knowing what time it is so I'm constantly checking my instrument cluster so I don't go more than a couple blocks until I notice, but I still feel like a dumbass when I catch myself.

Mitsu3000gt
05-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Equally often I see people who have the feature, but refuse to use it - they only do the full-on signal engagement, even if it's just for a couple blinks.

Hallowed_point
05-05-2017, 11:25 AM

I love it too but I've done that as well. :banghead:

Abeo
05-05-2017, 11:28 AM
I can see how BMW drivers would end up signalling after they change lanes... I borrowed a newer M3 for a day, and it was impossible to change lanes when giving a warning with a signal. People closed the gap, for whatever reason.

It's a chicken and egg thing: did douche BMW drivers cause people to not want to let them in, or do people not letting in BMW drivers cause them to be douches?

Is this a BMW thing, or is it a luxury car envy thing?

Never had these problems driving my peon vehicles

Mitsu3000gt
05-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Abeo
I can see how BMW drivers would end up signalling after they change lanes... I borrowed a newer M3 for a day, and it was impossible to change lanes when giving a warning with a signal. People closed the gap, for whatever reason.

It's a chicken and egg thing: did douche BMW drivers cause people to not want to let them in, or do people not letting in BMW drivers cause them to be douches?

It's a Calgary driver thing - I've seen it or experienced it every day for my entire driving life. Leave a gap, and someone comes in. Keeping a safe following distance is almost impossible without constantly slowing down all traffic behind you. Few people signal, or might as well have not signaled due to how useless it was. It's just the Calgary way - I don't think it had anything to do with you driving a BMW.

Hallowed_point
05-05-2017, 12:02 PM
It's a Calgary driver thing - I've seen it or experienced it every day for my entire driving life. Leave a gap, and someone comes in. Keeping a safe following distance is almost impossible without constantly slowing down all traffic behind you. Few people signal, or might as well have not signaled due to how useless it was. It's just the Calgary way - I don't think it had anything to do with you driving a BMW.

So true. Although this also happens to me back in BC when locals see that red letter plate :D

It is the Calgary way. Damned if you do, not getting into a lane if you don't. I had some butterball broad going into what looked to be a seizure when I passed her (with a signal.) Not my fault that you're not paying attention.

btimbit
05-05-2017, 12:08 PM
In my WV it has the 3 click I find if I use it I have to do it twice. My Hyundai had the option to change it to 5 clicks and that's about right.

You can't use a one click in heavy traffic. Works fine on the highway when there's more than enough room and signalling your intention is essentially a formality, but in the city it's pretty useless

BavarianBeast
05-05-2017, 12:47 PM
German vehicles? wahh

Try foreign drivers. Seriously, drive for 25 minutes in Falcon Ridge (I have to work up in this shit hole now) and you will want to shoot yourself with how piss poor just about EVERY driver is.

Hallowed_point
05-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
German vehicles? wahh

Try foreign drivers. Seriously, drive for 25 minutes in Falcon Ridge (I have to work up in this shit hole now) and you will want to shoot yourself with how piss poor just about EVERY driver is.

That's a whole nother can of worms right there. Try bridle wood where every Filipino is scared to leave the left lane as they putter along. Look for the rosary beads dangling around the mirror and some tacky sticker. It's so predictable.

rage2
05-05-2017, 12:58 PM

It's definitely car related. In a BMW or Mercedes, I can't signal without everyone closing the gap. I also find drivers to be way more aggressive in changing lanes in front of me knowing I'll brake in my luxury German car. The Lexus is better, but not by a lot. In the minivan (we rent one every summer) everyone is so courteous haha. People go out of their way to give me a huge gap in the good old Town & Country.

The Mercedes exception was in the CLK63 BS with Montana plates. I could drive like a total dick, run off the end of Crowchild using the Bow Trail exit lane, stop, signal, and people would let me in. Guess we're still nice to tourists haha.

never
05-05-2017, 01:08 PM
I haven't noticed a difference when driving the wife's Mercedes or my smoke-spewing diesel. But then again, I guess they can both be considered douchebag vehicles.

msommers
05-05-2017, 01:41 PM

Could be an envy thing, certainly possible.

However, if all else being equal and everyone in Calgary doesn't give space to anyone, then we should see everyone also not signalling to get into a lane. IME, it's simple observation on the road of who's obviously driving by their own rules and more often than not it's a German car driver, especially entry level coupes/sedans and any level SUV.

Another class of driver that, ironically, drives like asshats: Baby on Board sign owners.

Sentry
05-05-2017, 01:45 PM
If someone tries to shut the door on me trying to change lanes I keep coming over anyway. I didn't cut them off, they cut themselves off. Fucking idiots.

Mitsu3000gt
05-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by rage2

It's definitely car related. In a BMW or Mercedes, I can't signal without everyone closing the gap. I also find drivers to be way more aggressive in changing lanes in front of me knowing I'll brake in my luxury German car. The Lexus is better, but not by a lot. In the minivan (we rent one every summer) everyone is so courteous haha. People go out of their way to give me a huge gap in the good old Town & Country.

The Mercedes exception was in the CLK63 BS with Montana plates. I could drive like a total dick, run off the end of Crowchild using the Bow Trail exit lane, stop, signal, and people would let me in. Guess we're still nice to tourists haha.

Weird, my last 2 cars have been Hondas and the exact same thing happens all the time :dunno: Maybe they just think I'm a douche :rofl:

I notice it regardless of who I am driving with as well, across a wide variety of brands. I just find in general Calgary drivers are unskilled, discourteous, and often dangerous. I would agree that high end German car drivers are very often discourteous though, so maybe some people hold a grudge. The only thing worse (aside from old people and soccer moms who simply shouldn't be on the road) are pickup truck drivers, 9/10 times it is a lifted diesel. A close second are cab drivers - some of the worst drivers I have ever seen. There is also nothing slower moving on the road than a cab with a fare in it - they even start slowing down before intersections hoping to catch the yellow and add $0.30 to the fare.

Abeo
05-05-2017, 02:02 PM

Weird, my last 2 cars have been Hondas and the exact same thing happens all the time :dunno: Maybe they just think I'm a douche :rofl:

Could be! :P

I usually have 2 or vehicles that I drive on rotation, and at that point I went from a lowered 240sx and 4x4 ranger on 32's to the M3 (my buddy was borrowing my truck to move). Same drive home, same roads, and a complete change in the drivers courtesy around me. Took it for a drive after work, same thing. I had to revert to my Ontario douchebag driving roots to get anywhere.

btimbit
05-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
If someone tries to shut the door on me trying to change lanes I keep coming over anyway. I didn't cut them off, they cut themselves off. Fucking idiots.

I do this all the time. Especially on idiots that swing into the far lane after making a left turn. If I'm in front, turned into the close lane and then try to change into the right lane, like you're supposed to, but I can't because this other asshole is already there, I just go anyway

BavarianBeast
05-05-2017, 02:41 PM
I've rotated 3 very different vehicles for my commute and find major differences in how courteous other drivers are towards me.

2016 RAM 1500 - Nobody likes you, nobody will let you in, you are a douche
2008 BMW M3 - Nobody likes you, nobody will let you in, you are a huge douche
1989 Westfalia - Everybody loves you. You can drive as sloppily as you'd like and people will give you the utmost courtesy. You are a granola hippy.

No matter how I drive the vehicles, people are much more courteous to the Westfalia.

Thaco
05-05-2017, 02:51 PM
If someone tries to shut the door on me trying to change lanes I keep coming over anyway. I didn't cut them off, they cut themselves off. Fucking idiots. until they let you drive in to them and you get to pay the bill.

Swank
05-05-2017, 03:00 PM
I let BMWs in every chance I get so I can tail them and watch all other drivers mistreat and abuse them and vice versa :rofl:

Sentry
05-05-2017, 03:03 PM
until they let you drive in to them and you get to pay the bill.
I've never hit anyone or anything in a car, ever. I know where my car begins and ends and how to put it where I want it, at 5 km/h or 100 km/h (or more). Comes from driving in tight spaces all day every day, and driving in tight traffic on a racetrack trying to squeeze by slow but powerful cars in a grippy underpowered car.

I'll step on the line but I won't cross the line.

rage2
05-05-2017, 03:50 PM
I'll step on the line but I won't cross the line.
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/78/788a2b5d6d04cb5f6ad4693a1ae1303c6665b7bead2e65b96eb10e0c5b9d5586.jpg

bourge73
05-05-2017, 06:54 PM

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/78/788a2b5d6d04cb5f6ad4693a1ae1303c6665b7bead2e65b96eb10e0c5b9d5586.jpg

:rofl:

speedog
05-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Well it's good to know that there are some German car drivers out there that know how to use their signals for a lane change...

https://giant.gfycat.com/SeriousColossalGoosefish.gif

03ozwhip
05-06-2017, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Well it's good to know that there are some German car drivers out there that know how to use their signals for a lane change...

a guy just did that exact same thing to me last night, started swerving but kept control. he was in such a hurry that I caught up to him at a red light. I gave him some really dirty looks but he would not look over lol

it scared the shit out of me, I didn't even see him coming. felt like going on a rampage on him, but my face was just red hot from burning through him with laser eyes.

#coolstoryborat

ercchry
05-06-2017, 10:08 AM
I've never got more hate than I do in the 330xi... yeah, more than the M

It seems like every time I'm on Deerfoot someone goes out of their way to cut me off, like their lane is so free of traffic that I change lanes into their old lane to pass them... more so to see if they're drunk or just stupid and every damn time I'm greeted with the middle finger... and last time it was like a 50-60 year old woman :rofl:

But for the record, I don't single click... it's either zero or three, because auto 3 click :poosie:

killramos
05-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Today I had someone in a minivan swerving back and forth across three lanes of traffic to stop me from passing him...

Apparently the new car is worse than the BMW was :rolleyes:

J-hop
05-07-2017, 07:42 AM
I think some people are reading way too much into their bias anecdotal evidence.

Most drivers have absolutely zero clue what the difference between an M3 and a 330 is.

90+% of the drivers out there look at the road world as truck, car and motorcycle. That's it....

jwslam
05-07-2017, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
90+% of the drivers out there look at the road world as me , truck driving asshole, BMW asshole, motorcycle asshole, everyone else. That's it....
FTFY

speedog
05-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
I think some people are reading way too much into their bias anecdotal evidence.

Most drivers have absolutely zero clue what the difference between an M3 and a 330 is.

90+% of the drivers out there look at the road world as truck, car and motorcycle. That's it....

This. My wife seems to be able to pick out BMW's and older 70-80's North American stuff but beyond that, it just doesn't matter to her. Mans far as identifying whether it's an M3 or 330, nope, ain't happening. Hell, I don't care enough any more to be able to know model differences such as that, a 1 series to 3 series - yeah, I can figure that out but beyond that it just isn't a big deal.

The average hockey mom or SUV driver, it really doesn't matter to them and they most likely don't care either.

ercchry
05-07-2017, 11:03 AM
I'm not saying it makes any sense... cause if I'm going to get hate, it's going to be from how I'm driving the M, not putting down Deerfoot in the right lane with the flow of traffic in the 330, it's just been my observation as of late, and I've even done the f150 thing, lowered tuner car, motorcycle, everything... nothing matches the 330 hate

flipstah
05-07-2017, 11:44 AM
wat

theken
05-07-2017, 06:54 PM
I wish mine clicked 6 times. I always push it twice once when I'm going to move then again while entering the lane (BMW)

Team_Mclaren
05-08-2017, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by speedog

lol ive always wonder what its like for someone to not make the gap. :rofl: :rofl:

Sonic
05-08-2017, 12:13 PM

This is only ONE of the bizarre driving norms in Calgary that I've noticed as someone who has grown up in a big city like Vancouver...in Vancouver, a city with actual traffic problems due to congestion no one is going to "let you in", you just signal and force your way in, I drove once in Miami and it is 1000x worse there, so take it from me, there are lots of people in this city from bigger cities and it is bizarre to "let someone in", the attitude is if you want in, put on your blinker and force your way in because it's not my job to slow down or brake to let you in, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who deliberately closed a gap after I've signalled, and I drive an Infiniti and have also driven BMWs, this is probably all in your head...no one is cutting anyone off, it's just different ways of driving...the same goes another bizarre Calgary norm..."early merging", fucking retarded... :rofl: :rofl: :banghead: :banghead:

Take Sentry's quote there, he's got his panties all up in a knot...but to me, what he does is normal. He's doing it right.

born2workoncars
05-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Sonic

This is only ONE of the bizarre driving norms in Calgary that I've noticed as someone who has grown up in a big city like Vancouver...in Vancouver, a city with actual traffic problems due to congestion no one is going to "let you in", you just signal and force your way in, I drove once in Miami and it is 1000x worse there, so take it from me, there are lots of people in this city from bigger cities and it is bizarre to "let someone in", the attitude is if you want in, put on your blinker and force your way in because it's not my job to slow down or brake to let you in, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who deliberately closed a gap after I've signalled, and I drive an Infiniti and have also driven BMWs, this is probably all in your head...no one is cutting anyone off, it's just different ways of driving...the same goes another bizarre Calgary norm..."early merging", fucking retarded... :rofl: :rofl: :banghead: :banghead:

Take Sentry's quote there, he's got his panties all up in a knot...but to me, what he does is normal. He's doing it right.

I frequently encounter calgary drivers who speed up to try and prevent someone entering their lane. Ridiculous behaviour.

Hallowed_point
05-09-2017, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by born2workoncars
I frequently encounter calgary drivers who speed up to try and prevent someone entering their lane. Ridiculous behaviour.

yep! And then if you watch them closely in the rear view they thrash around and scream like mental patients when you get in front of them. Share the road.. :dunno: That is a Calgary thing from my experience.

Aleks
05-09-2017, 08:08 AM

I notice it regardless of who I am driving with as well, across a wide variety of brands. I just find in general Calgary drivers are unskilled, discourteous, and often dangerous.

Agree fully.

When you think about it, driving well actually takes a lot of skill, and coordination. You have to use your eyes, hands, feet all at the same time. Most people simply aren't good at that.

Chester
05-09-2017, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by born2workoncars

:werd: feels like everyone is racing everyone, in slow motion.
I'm in no rush to get to work in the morning, could care less if someone wants to change lanes in front of me.

rage2
05-09-2017, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Chester
I'm in no rush to get to work in the morning, could care less if someone wants to change lanes in front of me.
I don't mind people changing lanes in front of me, but it pisses me off when people change lanes in front of me, slow down, and leave a massive gap ahead. The worst are the ones that knows the shortcuts and fuck it all up for everyone behind them by going slowly and missing a light. Every missed light is 2-3 mins wasted haha. I'm a sucker, and keep letting people in knowing they'll fuck me over.

My problem is I'm super OCD with traffic optimizations, not trying to get to work on time or anything, just pissed off about unnecessarily wasted time.

ercchry
05-09-2017, 08:37 AM

I don't mind people changing lanes in front of me, but it pisses me off when people change lanes in front of me, slow down, and leave a massive gap ahead. The worst are the ones that knows the shortcuts and fuck it all up for everyone behind them by going slowly and missing a light. Every missed light is 2-3 mins wasted haha. I'm a sucker, and keep letting people in knowing they'll fuck me over.

My problem is I'm super OCD with traffic optimizations, not trying to get to work on time or anything, just pissed off about unnecessarily wasted time.

:werd:

The football field gapers are taking over too... I can't believe how many people really don't give a shit about making lights

Was behind someone the other day that was just crawling up to a green light, of course when we get up to it, it goes yellow... then for the extra kick in the balls, they do a last second lane change and decide they don't even was to travel in that direction and move out of the way :nut:

Chester
05-09-2017, 09:36 AM

Agree 100%