PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Garage Door Opener Recommendations?

riced
05-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Hey guys, anyone have any info or recommendations on a good, quiet garage door opener?
Our house is only 3 years old but the opener is loud as hell. The baby's room is pretty much on top of the garage so it wakes her up in the morning... Basically, as quiet as possible is what I'm looking for...

I'm looking at what's online but their naming of models is kinda poor so it's hard to tell what the difference is between them... Here are the two I'm looking at. I'm not huge on whether it has smart phone control or wifi or anything - I just want it to be quiet and reliable lol.

https://www.lowes.ca/garage-door-openers/chamberlain-34-hps-belt-drive-garage-door-opener-built-in-wifi_g2556133.html

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.whisper-drive-34-hp-garage-door-opener-with-myq-technology-and-battery-backup.1000858813.html

If anyone has any other recommendations, I'm all ears.

jwslam
05-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by riced
The baby's room is pretty much on top of the garage so it wakes her up in the morning... Basically, as quiet as possible is what I'm looking for...
No clue about your original question on quiet openers, but if your baby room has hard floors try using rugs to dampen sound/vibration?

edit: Also, maybe this
https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/rsic_clips/soundproof_garge_door_kit.htm

adam c
05-08-2017, 01:00 PM
I had a screw type opener and it was the quietest that I ever heard

kenny
05-08-2017, 01:02 PM
Change to this type of opener:
https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/garage-door-openers/elite-series/model-8500

gogreen
05-08-2017, 01:48 PM
^Agreed. The Liftmaster 8500 is pretty quiet. Frees up ceiling space too!

riced
05-08-2017, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by kenny
https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/garage-door-openers/elite-series/model-8500

Does this require a lot of modification to remove the overhead opener?
I was hoping for one that could easily swap out.

Is this quieter because of the fact that it's on the side wall instead?

Xtrema
05-08-2017, 03:39 PM
I have the Lowes/Chamberlin one you listed.

It's definitely quieter than than the original one I had came with the house that uses chain (Crasftsman from late 90s). But the door noises remains.

So unlatch your current opener and open the door manually. That noise will not go away even if you switch the opener. In that case, I think jwslam's noise isolation is the better answer.

Also, that Chamberlin MyQ thing is just peace of mind that you can check on your door while you are away. So you know if your door has been opened without your knowledge.

Does this require a lot of modification to remove the overhead opener?
I was hoping for one that could easily swap out.

Is this quieter because of the fact that it's on the side wall instead?

Noise will be in front part of the room to one side instead in the center. But keep in mind that you probably need someone to install this (or at least a electrician to reroute to power to the front for a clean install), especially if you are trying to change the rails to keep to door as close to the ceiling as possible, one of the reason why you would installed this type of openers, to reclaim vertical space for a lift.

gogreen
05-08-2017, 04:12 PM
It's quieter mainly because you don't have the long run of chain clattering away since it can direct-drive the torsion shaft of the door, but I haven't heard a belt-drive style to compare. The 8500 does have a solenoid-operated deadbolt that makes a bit of a clunk just before the door opens and right after it closes. And as Xtrema said you would still have the noise of the door rollers to contend with.

I have the 8500 because it was literally the only type of opener that would work in my application (low headroom, no side clearance, and high-lift tracks already existing). AndyL installed mine years ago, and I did get an electrician in afterwards to add an outlet near the door so I could plug the opener in directly.

bjstare
05-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by kenny

My parents have these on the doors at their place in Golden. +1 for quietest opener ever.

AndyL
05-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Major part of the 8500 is moving it to an exterior Wall. Rather than the long span of floor joist (think about a sub box for a second) you're spanning a shorter vertical wall with more layers of insulation and cladding. With no direct connection for noise transmission.

That and it was one of their first DC drive models - more are now but 10yrs ago those were 2-3x the price and most didn't have the soft start and stop. Makes a huge difference that does. And not pulling on the top section often reduces a lot of those squeeks and groans of the lateral deflection that's inevitable.

I say go for the home Depot one ;)

But no, not in doors anymore. Recovering from loosing a finger and massive post op infection in a nice safe job of all fucking things...

riced
05-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! I probably won't go with the 8500.
Right now ours is a chain drive and it's only 3 years old but it shakes the room enough that even though the noise will remain with a belt drive, it'll at least lessen the shake.
I'll probably pair with that sound dampening product from jwslam as well - a pretty cheap option to significantly reduce the noise too.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-09-2017, 07:36 AM
I'd kill for that side-mount. It's on my list to move to one of those models, but I have no idea who to get to install one.

R!zz0
05-09-2017, 08:02 AM
We were quoted just under $5000 for the side mount. :eek:

So they gave you a chain instead of a belt?

never
05-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0

So they gave you a chain instead of a belt?

What? You can get them for $600 with accessories on Amazon. And the install is pretty simple.

R!zz0
05-09-2017, 10:13 AM
^^ You're right.

https://www.amazon.ca/LiftMaster-8500C-Garage-Opener-SHIPPING/dp/B00EOWAMVM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494346329&sr=8-1&keywords=lift+master+garage+door+opener

Xtrema
05-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! I probably won't go with the 8500.
Right now ours is a chain drive and it's only 3 years old but it shakes the room enough that even though the noise will remain with a belt drive, it'll at least lessen the shake.
I'll probably pair with that sound dampening product from jwslam as well - a pretty cheap option to significantly reduce the noise too.

Yeah, you won't regret chain to belt. It is quieter.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0

That's completely absurd, there's no way a jackshaft opener requires $4500 worth of labour to install.

riced
05-10-2017, 07:25 AM
Just as an update - ended up going with the one from Lowe's - read better reviews on this one, plus it was $100 off until today.

https://www.lowes.ca/garage-door-openers/chamberlain-34-hps-belt-drive-garage-door-opener-built-in-wifi_g2556133.html

Got it installed yesterday and it made a huge difference. No shake in the rooms upstairs, the sound has been muffled by at least 70% already and best of all - no waking the baby this morning!

I'm going to be adding rubber insulators between the joints and the wall soon and hopefully it'll help a bit more.

Thanks again for all the help!

schurchill39
05-10-2017, 09:31 AM
I have a side mount and its quite as hell. The most noise comes from the "lock" disengaging or reengaging. Plus the head room its amazing. I don't think I'd ever run anything but a side mount again.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-10-2017, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39
I have a side mount and its quite as hell. The most noise comes from the "lock" disengaging or reengaging. Plus the head room its amazing. I don't think I'd ever run anything but a side mount again.

Who installed it for you?

never
05-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

If you look at the installation manual, you'll see it's pretty easy if you have any mechanical ability.

Put two in at a buddy's place and it was simple.

riced
05-10-2017, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

My brother-in-law did it in about 2 hours. Since a lot of the existing wiring was already in place, it's just replacing old with new more or less.
To "never's" point - if you've done anything mechanical then it ends up being pretty straightforward.

AndyL
05-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Mechanically it's straight forward - collar is the hardest part (next to drilling the Lock solenoid and not stripping the screws on install).

But the doors got to be right for it to work, its much less forgiving when it comes to balance and binding.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by never

If you look at the installation manual, you'll see it's pretty easy if you have any mechanical ability.

Put two in at a buddy's place and it was simple.

I'm mostly just looking for a local installer to replace my chain-drive with a side mount, since AndyL doesn't do it anymore.
I want to change/upgrade/replace the door with one that goes all the way to the roof, so I can eventually get that car lift goodness in.

blownz
05-10-2017, 02:50 PM
I have this one (although older without the wifi) and it is very quiet:

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/garage-door-openers/elite-series/model-8550w

The battery backup has actually come in handy a few times when the power has been out. I remember one time in particular I was coming home around 5:30pm and the power was out and a bunch of people in the crescent were parked on their driveways and chatting and I drove by and opened my garage and drove in. I had everyone on my driveway by the time I got out of the car to see how I got in. lol

And basically anything with a belt will be way better. Also try to get a one piece beam (not sure what the term is...) as opposed to several pieces bolted together. It seems to cut down on noise. It is best IMO to get the opener from a actual overhead door place instead of Home Depot as they just have the retail ones in the box.

chongkee_
10-30-2017, 10:15 AM
BUMP!

I have same issues with my garage opener being too loud.
Currently have a 3/4 HP chain driven unit.

Saw this Chamberlain on sale at Lowe's. It's a 1 1/4 HP belt driven unit.
https://www.lowes.ca/garage-door-openers/chamberlain-1-14-hps-belt-drive-wi-fi-garage-door-opener_g2556134.html

Any issues replacing my 3/4 HP unit with a 1 1/4 HP unit?

Thanks.

Xtrema
10-30-2017, 10:39 AM
BUMP!

I have same issues with my garage opener being too loud.
Currently have a 3/4 HP chain driven unit.

Saw this Chamberlain on sale at Lowe's. It's a 1 1/4 HP belt driven unit.
https://www.lowes.ca/garage-door-openers/chamberlain-1-14-hps-belt-drive-wi-fi-garage-door-opener_g2556134.html

Any issues replacing my 3/4 HP unit with a 1 1/4 HP unit?

Thanks.

I got that and replaced my 18 year old Craftsman with chain. Almost totally silent. I paid a bit less than that because Lowes forgot to raise their price while they have a 15% off one night only promo, they are $279 almost all the time (if not at lease once a month). MyQ is a bonus.

chongkee_
10-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Any issues with it so far?
Did you do the installation yourself?

ExtraSlow
06-10-2022, 06:14 PM
Garage door thread necro-bump. For us budget concious folks, is the chamberlain belt drive still a good way to go? On sale for $299 at triangle store right now. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/chamberlain-medium-lift-belt-drive-garage-door-opener-with-wi-fi-0460594p.html#df

killramos
06-10-2022, 06:19 PM
I installed one and it was great. Very quiet.

Get one with myQ built in, that is surprisingly useful.

You know a gadget is useful when even your wife get on board with using it.

ExtraSlow
07-29-2022, 05:47 PM
Well finally got around to installing that Chamberlain belt-drive garage door opener. There are a lot of steps in that process but none are really difficult per se. Did have trouble aligning the safety sensors so the beam was steady. Come to think of it, the old door opener had that same issue. I think the tracks flex when the door gets near the bottom. Might have that steady enough now.

Belt drive much quieter than my 14 year old chain drive. Happy with that. Told my wife to set up the WiFi and app, I'm going to sit and drink a beer in the AC. Fucking garage was like 37c all afternoon while I was working.

ExtraSlow
08-07-2022, 06:56 PM
Hey that new garage door opener is nice. Can barely hear it from the yard. Old one you could hear from inside the house. Good value. Totally satisfied.

Edit: and yeah I have the laser beam thing aligned good now. No issues.

Darkane
08-07-2022, 06:59 PM
Hey that new garage door opener is nice. Can barely hear it from the yard. Old one you could hear from inside the house. Good value. Totally satisfied.

Edit: and yeah I have the laser beam thing aligned good now. No issues.

Excellent. I’ve been thinking of a quieter unit too.