PDA

View Full Version : 2017 BC Provincial Election

Pages : [1] 2

Sugarphreak
05-09-2017, 06:02 PM

revelations
05-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Based on my impressions it really is a lose/lose situation in BC. The NDP are clowns (esp in BC) and the liberals are arrogant, elitist corporate lackeys.

What is needed (again) is a centrist party.

phreezee
05-09-2017, 06:51 PM
So the NDP or the Liberals will win:

OlDEzmSff3M

B.C. government before and after election:

no_elVGGgW8

speedog
05-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Based on my impressions it really is a lose/lose situation in BC. The NDP are clowns (esp in BC) and the liberals are arrogant, elitist corporate lackeys.

What is needed (again) is a centrist party.

In British Columbia?

Surely you jest.

Sugarphreak
05-09-2017, 09:45 PM

ickyflex
05-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Too close for comfort

ickyflex
05-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Green
0 Won
1 Lead

Liberal
23 Won
19 Lead

NDP
9 Won
31 Lead

Edit: Tied as we speak

HiTempguy1
05-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Holy shit, nail biter at the moment :o

Only time I could remotely pray for the Liberals to get in.

ickyflex
05-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Oh God NDP leading... Please Oh god lol

Sugarphreak
05-09-2017, 10:16 PM

Buster
05-09-2017, 10:21 PM
Didn't they say that the NDP would take most of the late-reporting ridings?

HiTempguy1
05-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Libs lead on Macleans website by 3, where are people getting their info?

Edit - NM, it appears to be flip flopping all the time. Just as bad as NDP getting majority would be a Liberal minority.

16hypen3sp
05-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Better start praying boys. Where Sugarphreak goes, the NDP follow. haha

Sugarphreak
05-09-2017, 10:45 PM

16hypen3sp
05-09-2017, 10:52 PM
Premier Notley must be shitting bricks right now.

Sugarphreak
05-09-2017, 10:58 PM

16hypen3sp
05-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I doubt it, the NDP leader here publicly slammed Notely for being anti-environment. They also plant to kill the pipeline immediately, so Notely probably doesn't want to see them get in with a majority.

Well, if the Clark wins, do they NDP/Greens (teamed up) still have a way to take on TransMountain?

Sugarphreak
05-09-2017, 11:12 PM

ickyflex
05-09-2017, 11:15 PM
Back to 43 Oh man come on liberals

16hypen3sp
05-09-2017, 11:22 PM
In the event of a tie, I'm hearing that the Green leader gets to choose the Premier...?

Sugarphreak
05-09-2017, 11:29 PM

Sugarphreak
05-09-2017, 11:58 PM

HiTempguy1
05-10-2017, 12:06 AM
So they just interviewed one of the Green Party guys who won, and he said they won't support any government that pursues fossil fuel infrastructure projects

So goodbye LNG and Trans-mountain pipeline

I'm actually kind of happy. Because screw BC people. The amount of insanity I've seen come out of there, the vitriol spewed at not only Albertans but the oilpatch is insane. I hope their economy tanks. The pipeline wasn't going to make that much of a difference, IF it even happened anyways which I pegged at a 50% chance anyways even if the Liberals were a majority.

ickyflex
05-10-2017, 12:06 AM
Did you see the two anchors arguing Hahaha so fucking funny. Fuck that chick

ickyflex
05-10-2017, 12:25 AM
Yes back in the lead 43-41

Holy shit.. 44!

Damn 10 votes from 44 :(

16hypen3sp
05-10-2017, 01:51 AM
CBC says Liberal minority. First BC minority gov since 1952. Some ridings will require recounts as they were so close.

finboy
05-10-2017, 06:52 AM
From Reddit, the thought is comox will swing liberal as the absentee votes are likely military, and the liberal candidate has ties to the base out there. The electoral map has also been trained so some areas that swung ndp in 2013 aren't in scope for 2017*

*havent fact checked at all, too lazy #fakelazynews

Type_S1
05-10-2017, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I'm actually kind of happy. Because screw BC people. The amount of insanity I've seen come out of there, the vitriol spewed at not only Albertans but the oilpatch is insane. I hope their economy tanks. The pipeline wasn't going to make that much of a difference, IF it even happened anyways which I pegged at a 50% chance anyways even if the Liberals were a majority.

You do realize that BC stopping these project will be detrimental to Alberta and Canada? This election was more critical then most people realize to the Canadian economy.

JRSC00LUDE
05-10-2017, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1

You do realize that BC stopping these project will be detrimental to Alberta and Canada? This election was more critical then most people realize to the Canadian economy.

Since ignore doesn't work on quotes..... You do realize HiTemp's opinion outweighs his understanding by about 10 to 1? Don't waste too many keystrokes. :zzz:

Tik-Tok
05-10-2017, 07:51 AM
So they just interviewed one of the Green Party guys who won, and he said they won't support any government that pursues fossil fuel infrastructure projects

Fuck Alberta LNG and OIL!

But you know... logging is still cool. No environmental impact there at all.

HiTempguy1
05-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1

You do realize they were stopped or going to be stopped anyways? Neither you or jrscoolretard read what I wrote :nut: The fact you two muppets think otherwise is cute.

Just for those hard of reading comprehension, here is the part that matters more than the first sentence which nobody on Beyond reads past anyways:

The pipeline wasn't going to make that much of a difference, IF it even happened anyways which I pegged at a 50% chance anyways even if the Liberals were a majority.

https://www.transmountain.com/economic-benefits

That's Trans Mountains own rosy projections. Yawn. Alberta is going into the hole $10bil per year currently, this pipeline at its peak value would add maybe $1bil, not as soon as it started operating, and certainly not with oil prices where they are at. So basically sweet fuck all.

And again, the chances of it getting built were slim to begin with. BC has been foisting their turd headed environmentalists on us for far too long, the wind needs to be taken out of their sails, and I hope the gov sinks their economy as its done previously to crater the enviroretards cash flow.

It only gets worse from here, not better. Anyone that thinks otherwise is naive.

ZenOps
05-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Minority govt. Could not have asked for anything better.

Well, maybe a party that actually takes earthquake preparedness seriously.

Brent.ff
05-10-2017, 08:00 AM

Trans mountain is federally regulated.. it'll go

schurchill39
05-10-2017, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Since ignore doesn't work on quotes..... You do realize HiTemp's opinion outweighs his understanding by about 10 to 1? Don't waste too many keystrokes. :zzz:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hallowed_point
05-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Fuck Alberta LNG and OIL!

But you know... logging is still cool. No environmental impact there at all. Yep. Sums up a lot of my BC buds back home. Oh, in between posts about chem trails, how bad trump is, solar and wind power. So glad I'm out of lotus land. I don't know how SP is gonna handle it. I think he needs to buy another Hummer.

Dave P
05-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Construction for Trans-Mountain starts on Monday I believe.

START THE CAR!!!! STAAAAAAART THE CARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sugarphreak
05-10-2017, 11:01 AM

Hallowed_point
05-10-2017, 11:40 AM
HUMMER's make people out here freak pretty good... I wish they were still in business because I'd be all over it The gas and insurance would kill you though. But it would be worth it!! :D

Tik-Tok
05-10-2017, 11:41 AM

HUMMER's make people out here freak pretty good... I wish they were still in business because I'd be all over it

Just need to put a Prius shell on top of it. You'll actually get worse mileage, and still have a big enough back seat to perform abortions in!

revelations
05-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Just spoke to a former BC NPD party member - apparently the Green party is considered a "centrist" party in BC...... which would be a good balance for the left/right coalition.

They will have a lot of pull now and could form the next government if they play their cards right.

Brent.ff
05-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Still opportunity for liberals to pull ahead with the absentee count. Should be interesting

Tik-Tok
05-10-2017, 11:51 AM
As Finboy said, Comox is a TIGHT race (NDP-10,508, Liberals-10,049) Military absentee ballots still to be counted... I wonder what Benninger's former employee's think of him? :rofl:

Hallowed_point
05-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Just spoke to a former BC NPD party member - apparently the Green party is considered a "centrist" party in BC...... which would be a good balance for the left/right coalition.

They will have a lot of pull now and could form the next government if they play their cards right. That's interesting for sure. Never did I expect for anyone to take the greenies seriously.

Tik-Tok
05-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
That's interesting for sure. Never did I expect for anyone to take the greenies seriously.

No one expected to take Alberta NDP's seriously either :nut:

Hallowed_point
05-10-2017, 11:54 AM
No one expected to take Alberta NDP's seriously either :nut: :banghead: :banghead: I don't take them seriously now and that's the scary part. They have the control!!

Antonito
05-10-2017, 12:32 PM
In some aspects the liberals have been cutting too close to the bone, teachers, medical, etc have been redlining it to keep the system going for years now and it's starting to affect everyone's quality of life. I'll be happy if it's a liberal lead minority, they'll have to cut deals which should help restore a bit of balance. Wouldn't have wanted the NDP to take it outright though, I'm not that dumb (lol HiTempGuy)

Sugarphreak
05-10-2017, 02:00 PM

phreezee
05-10-2017, 06:30 PM
Hopefully the NDP will lose Comox and shutup those smug greens by giving the Liberals the majority.

Feruk
05-11-2017, 08:10 AM
You have the Liberals who have been in long enough to get complacent. They can budget and bring work, but they also tend to cut into services heavily. Health care needs more money here for sure, same for schools/teachers, and other services.
So you're willing to see your taxes go up to make up the shortfall in services?

Sugarphreak
05-11-2017, 08:31 AM

Feruk
05-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Lol the old "everything will work itself out, fake it till you make it" strategy of taking on debt.

Hallowed_point
05-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Building a strong economy brings in additional revenue to help enhance those services over time

I would also like to see a reform to the health care system to allow privatization into the mix, similar to systems in Europe

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Agree buddy. I'm actually shocked as to why you'd move back to hippy land.

Sugarphreak
05-11-2017, 10:28 AM

revelations
05-11-2017, 10:35 AM
It remains to be seen, but I almost wished that a 3 party coalition could have been formed here in AB - instead of the Union labour bosses we have now.

Seth1968
05-11-2017, 11:01 AM
I would love to see the provinces utilize Direct Democracy (the only true democracy).

In a Direct Democracy, there would be no such thing as political parties. Taxpayers go through a process to introduce new law and changes, then vote on it. If the new law / change proves to be beneficial then they keep it. If not, they scrap it.

There's no left / right / centrist bull shit, and there's no political party to force idealism and fuck up the province.

revelations
05-11-2017, 11:34 AM
(disclaimer, Im no political scientist)

Isnt that what the centrist idea is? To balance the opposing sides and go with a solution that makes the most (long term) sense?

Antonito
05-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
I would love to see the provinces utilize Direct Democracy (the only true democracy).

In a Direct Democracy, there would be no such thing as political parties. Taxpayers go through a process to introduce new law and changes, then vote on it. If the new law / change proves to be beneficial then they keep it. If not, they scrap it.

There's no left / right / centrist bull shit, and there's no political party to force idealism and fuck up the province. What would eliminate the various special interests that currently drive politics? Instead of pouring money and focus groups into elected officials they would just ramp up their info campaigns directly to the people. It would go from "don't vote for Representative X, he'll eat your babies" to "don't vote for proposition X, it will legalize eating your babies"

Feruk
05-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Ok, well that isn't what I said at all

Most of the provincial budget goes into healthcare, and opening it up to competitive privatization would yield better consumer results at a lower cost... thus opening up revenue for the government which could be used towards other services such as education, debt repayment, and incentive's for new technology development in other sectors to diversify the economy
I was more referring to your other comment about building up a strong economy and everything paying for itself.

I agree with you on the European style of health care being better.

Originally posted by Seth1968
Direct democracy took California to the brink of bankruptcy. Nobody ever voted for higher taxes, just higher spending. I think the problem with our system is that elections happen too regularly resulting in politicians being motivated to spend rather than save to get re-elected.

revelations
05-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Two term limits for all politicians in Canada. No more career officials.

Get in because you actually want to help people, and then get out. Old ideas can die quicker that way.

Buster
05-11-2017, 01:35 PM
The problem isn't a policy one. It's a Canadian psychology one. Canadians feel (BC in particular), that government control is a benefit, rather than a necessary evil.

Canadians are not conditioned to see the benefit in free-market solutions. It's been a half a century of propaganda to convince them otherwise. Not to mention that our school system is almost entirely populated of such Big Government thinkers.

(It's also why Canada will never be able to "diversify" in the way people think we need to. Economic diversification requires effective capital markets to take risks on new ventures. That can't exist without a robust and fundamental belief in the benefits of free-markets and capitalism. The ability to have the equivalent of a Venture Capital industry is key - and Canadians are incompetent at that.)

Sugarphreak
05-24-2017, 02:04 PM

JRSC00LUDE
05-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Kind of like AB.... all you stupid idiots (no offence) that voted for the NDP will at least understand what you've done, and AB will be good for another 15 years or so.

You're giving a LOT of credit here. :nut:

Tik-Tok
05-24-2017, 04:14 PM
Guess Commander Benningers former employee's didn't think tooo highly of him as a leader...:rofl:

ExtraSlow
05-24-2017, 05:53 PM
The Alberta NDP are currently running unopposed. Don't be so sure this mythical future united party can beat them, because if the conservative end of the spectrum can't get their shit together NDP will do even better than last time.

It's terrifying. :eek:

Sugarphreak
05-24-2017, 07:21 PM

Gestalt
05-24-2017, 08:38 PM
Jason Kenney will will make sure NDP win again.

That fat piece of shit is going to ruin conservatism, and I mean real conservative values, not his twisted views, lies, and stupidity.

I can't believe Jean folded. I am dumbfounded.

zhao
05-24-2017, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Gestalt
Jason Kenney will will make sure NDP win again.

That fat piece of shit is going to ruin conservatism, and I mean real conservative values, not his twisted views, lies, and stupidity.

I can't believe Jean folded. I am dumbfounded.

I'm not a fan of Jean merging either. Kind of a let down if you ask me.

Gestalt
05-24-2017, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by zhao

I'm not a fan of Jean merging either. Kind of a let down if you ask me.

Kind of? Kind of? :banghead:

This is a disaster.

Sugarphreak
05-24-2017, 10:42 PM

Gestalt
05-24-2017, 11:59 PM
They are already splitting the vote.

Most of the other wildrose supporters I know won't be voting if Kenney is in command.

I really feel they dug our Graves and handed a second term to the NDP.

dirtsniffer
05-25-2017, 06:40 AM
You could vote against the unification?

Or vote for a different leader?

I'm voting for it. And for Jean.

sabad66
05-25-2017, 07:17 AM
I don't understand the logic behind people that say they won't vote ucp if Kenney is leader...it essentially means that they think Notley and the NDP are a better choice.

I sure don't like Kenney but I will definitely vote UCP next time regardless of who the leader is

Tik-Tok
05-25-2017, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by sabad66

I sure don't like Kenney but I will definitely vote UCP next time regardless of who the leader is

You'll vote for them, even though THEY don't even have an idea what their policies or stances are yet? :nut:

killramos
05-25-2017, 08:01 AM

You'll vote for them, even though THEY don't even have an idea what their policies or stances are yet? :nut:

Policy #1 We aren't the NDP

About as definitive as the "policy" of the NDP during the last election that won them a majority.

My hope is that NEITHER Jean nor Kenney win the leadership of the unified party.

phreezee
05-25-2017, 08:11 AM

They have been very clear on at least one policy: scrap the carbon tax and fight Trudope on a federal one.:thumbsup:

Feruk
05-25-2017, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Policy #1 We aren't the NDP

About as definitive as the "policy" of the NDP during the last election that won them a majority.

My hope is that NEITHER Jean nor Kenney win the leadership of the unified party.
:werd:

dirtsniffer
05-25-2017, 08:39 AM

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/wildrose/pages/6941/attachments/original/1495133631/Agreement_in_Principle_-_May_18_2017_FINAL.pdf?1495133631

http://i67.tinypic.com/wkpatx.jpg

Stuart
05-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by phreezee

They have been very clear on at least one policy: scrap the carbon tax and fight Trudope on a federal one.:thumbsup:

At least we have time to watch how fighting the federal one goes for Sask before we jump on that.

killramos
05-25-2017, 08:56 AM
There has got to be some simple way to negate the federal carbon tax such as collecting it then rebating it back to companies or consumers in some way?

Anyhow this has less than nothing to do with the BC election... I am pretty shocked at the Comox result, I have never met a member of the forces that wasn't cut and dry conservative. Even when I lived in Nova Scotia they were the bastion of conservatism. I thought with the absentee ballots they were going right for sure.

Xtrema
05-25-2017, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by sabad66

Kenny and Jean are not progressives.

UCP is just a rebranded Wildrose instead of bringing progressive value in.

That stupid blurb they did during press release to appease the progressives in PC is just embarrassing. I will wait til what they are about before I decide but I'm not optimistic UCP is the same PC I always supported.

I may have to give Alberta party a try or hold my nose and vote NDP.

Gestalt
05-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Probably Alberta party for me, or not vote.

Sugarphreak
05-25-2017, 03:18 PM

killramos
05-25-2017, 03:38 PM
I had some family in town from Cowichan for the long weekend, I think I managed to slide "YOU ELECTED A GREEN PARTY MEMBER" into every conversation all weekend.

:rofl:

Only time I have ever been to Comox was to catch a flight back to Calgary after a funeral...

Gestalt
05-25-2017, 04:43 PM
In all fairness, anyone is better than Clark. Maybe even Kenney :angel:

Sugarphreak
05-25-2017, 04:48 PM

Aleks
05-29-2017, 03:25 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ndp-green-agreement-1.4136539

Xtrema
05-29-2017, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ndp-green-agreement-1.4136539

:banghead:

Buster
05-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Does Alberta have a lease we can break?

Gotta GTFO.

ExtraSlow
05-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Fuck it would be epic if she could convince the Lt Gov to dissolve the leg and hold new elections. I think voter turnout would be higher the second time. Nobody wants a minority government and coalitions haven't been popular here in Canada, although they are common in some parts of the world.

killramos
05-29-2017, 03:58 PM
all it would take is one pseudo reasonable NDP dissenter to blow the whole thing up by crossing the floor. Someone who knows how stupid forming a government with the greens holding the keys would be. There has to be someone...

Buster
05-29-2017, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by killramos
all it would take is one pseudo reasonable NDP dissenter to blow the whole thing up by crossing the floor. Someone who knows how stupid forming a government with the greens holding the keys would be. There has to be someone...

You dont need them to be a reasonable person. You just need them to be greedy, and give them what they want.

Sugarphreak
05-29-2017, 04:06 PM

01RedDX
05-29-2017, 04:12 PM

Sugarphreak
05-29-2017, 04:54 PM

Tik-Tok
05-29-2017, 05:19 PM
^^ It isn't funny to me :cry:

The only saving grace I have is I didn't buy a place here yet... so when they totally crash the housing market in the next 3 months and drive unemployment through the roof, I can finally buy something

Not going to look into moving to Saskatchewan? :rofl:

Sugarphreak
05-29-2017, 05:24 PM

phreezee
05-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Saskatchewan is looking great economically and would be the first place I look if I got laid off. The only thing they are missing is an NHL team.

Gestalt
05-29-2017, 11:37 PM
Saskatchewan. Population of Calgary, higher taxes. House Prices almost as high as Edmonton.

Winners there for sure. :nut:

dirtsniffer
05-29-2017, 11:46 PM
How could an entire province have housing costs the same as Edmonton?

Gestalt
05-29-2017, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
How could an entire province have housing costs the same as Edmonton?

Anywhere a sane person woukd live. Tough youd have to be insane to live in sakatchewan to begin with.

Alberta is still the place to be.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/western-provinces-will-fuel-canadas-economic-growth-this-year-conference-board