PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix

phreezee
05-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Excited for all the upgrades and to see if RBR can make a charge.

New nose on the Mercedes
http://i.imgur.com/ooQ2nHQ.jpg

ganesh
05-11-2017, 12:16 PM
I am excited. Not just the nose, according to f1.com ' Silver Arrows have also introduced complex new bargeboards, featuring a series of vertical fins, as well as a revised rear wing, a two-tiered monkey seat and a re-profiled floor in front of the rear tyres'

tonytiger55
05-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Predictions?

Barcelona seems like a fast circuit.
If Mercedes can stop messing up their strategy and Hamilton leaves the goomba face at home then I predict a Hamilton win. Otherwise I see Vettel sneaking up and taking the win.

Would like to see Verstappen up his game. But not sure if the car has any more juice.

Mclaren.. Car will actually finish a race or a blow up/crash. My money is on the latter.

I was eating a salad for lunch and it got me thinking.. So much engineering is done to make the car light as possible and race times go into the hundredths of seconds.. If a driver does not a take a heavy shit before the race, does it impact their lap times? It must do.. :guns:

killramos
05-11-2017, 12:49 PM
Lol their diet is dictated by the team days in advance of the race.

Besides F1 drivers are all tiny little midgets... Not much room in the tank even if they ate nothing but ribeye for 5 days straight.

rage2
05-11-2017, 01:02 PM
This was the track where I would've predicted 0 passes, so Sochi having that honor was a surprise for me.

Stuart
05-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by tonytiger55
I was eating a salad for lunch and it got me thinking.. So much engineering is done to make the car light as possible and race times go into the hundredths of seconds.. If a driver does not a take a heavy shit before the race, does it impact their lap times? It must do.. :guns:

This would all depend on if they had a shit right before they weighed and ballasted the car during settup, since the combination of car and driver must meet the minimum weight.

rage2
05-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Lvc4fJEhQpY

phreezee
05-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by ganesh
I am excited. Not just the nose, according to f1.com ' Silver Arrows have also introduced complex new bargeboards, featuring a series of vertical fins, as well as a revised rear wing, a two-tiered monkey seat and a re-profiled floor in front of the rear tyres'

Better shot of the barge boards

https://i.redd.it/q26gpwx9kvwy.jpg

Ricciardo has already said not to get your hopes up on a RBR charge.:rofl:

tonytiger55
05-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Lvc4fJEhQpY

Lolz. I was just think about that.
Reminds me of a kitten I had years ago that was running around a lot one evening. I asked mum why he running around so much when he was chilling a moment ago. She said its cos he's just taken a shit in the litter box,... he feels lighter. :rofl:

Where is Beyonder R154 and Speed Dog? I wanna hear your predictions.. :burnout:

schocker
05-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Just need those two mercedes on pole again...
https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-01-2014/woSqGm.gif

The aero for spain is getting intense. Ferrari now has a rear light wing
https://i.redd.it/bdwyz9estvwy.jpg

Looks like a bit of rain sat and sun so that could make it interesting.

speedog
05-11-2017, 05:56 PM

Lolz. I was just think about that.
Reminds me of a kitten I had years ago that was running around a lot one evening. I asked mum why he running around so much when he was chilling a moment ago. She said its cos he's just taken a shit in the litter box,... he feels lighter. :rofl:

Where is Beyonder R154 and Speed Dog? I wanna hear your predictions.. :burnout:

I predict that I will not watch the F1 race but I will watch the good old boys at Kansas. How's that for a prediction?

tonytiger55
05-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Ahhh the old Kansas City Shuffle..

tonytiger55
05-12-2017, 11:18 AM
The Honda blew up on the first practice lap. :eek:

https://streamable.com/v4sto

Holy crap. I can't believe I was right. I should buy a lotto ticket.

RickDaTuner
05-12-2017, 12:11 PM
The Honda blew up on the first practice lap. :eek:

https://streamable.com/v4sto

Holy crap. I can't believe I was right. I should buy a lotto ticket.

Rod through the block it looks like haha
Oh Honda...

killramos
05-12-2017, 12:20 PM
So how many more seasons until McLaren can use a different engine?

Might be easier to just give up and start a new Mclaran team :rofl:

I don't know why Honda doesn't just dissolve the partnership because this is plain embarrassing for them.

schocker
05-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by killramos
So how many more seasons until McLaren can use a different engine?

Might be easier to just give up and start a new Mclaran team :rofl:

I don't know why Honda doesn't just dissolve the partnership because this is plain embarrassing for them.
This is why I am confused that sauber wants to use the honda engines :nut:

killramos
05-12-2017, 12:35 PM
I just don't see what Honda thinks they are getting out of F1 at this point, I assume Mclaren would let them them out of the deal considering this is nearly as embarrassing for them as for Honda.

I mean they buy a few Mercedes engines and they are an immediate contender overnight...

chongkee_
05-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Money, lots of it; plus with the rumour that Merc is helping Honda out, they could turn things around for 2018. Not that huge of a gamble for Sauber.

ganesh
05-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by killramos
I just don't see what Honda thinks they are getting out of F1 at this point, I assume Mclaren would let them them out of the deal considering this is nearly as embarrassing for them as for Honda.

I mean they buy a few Mercedes engines and they are an immediate contender overnight...

It is not as straight forward as what we think it is. All the greatest minds in McLaren and Honda had already thought about all the possible options. Also this has been well discussed in the press.
1) If McLaren walks away from the Honda deal the loose the $60m what they are getting from Honda plus they have to start paying for the engine.
2) If Honda walks away from McLaren then it is a win win situation for McLaren. – Same as what happened with Brawn team.

It is very highly unlikely that Merc will supply the engine to McLaren.
One of the reasons why Merc walked away from McLaren because of their road car project. Now that Ron is not at the helm Merc might have a change of heart.

R154
05-12-2017, 02:38 PM
#44 Forever for sure.

I've been so busy this week!!!

I didnt even get to make the thread.

tonytiger55
05-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by schocker

The Reddit comments are hilarious...

'I can smell the sweat in Sauber's offices from here'

'Maybe the car is trying to reject the engine, much like an organ transplant recipient.'

:rofl:

There was a interesting post on there too about Mclaren agreeing to a 18 month time frame to develop the engine. No idea if any truth to it, but interesting read. Copied from Reddit.

Mclaren is a joke and this is HUGELY down to Mclaren. 18 month development of an overly compact engine were conditions placed on the deal by Mclaren. Both basically guaranteed failure and continued problems as they rush to fix what would surely be a broken engine means they can't work on a 'good' engine by comparison. Mclaren are every bit as responsible for this, I would say more so as their decisions dictated the failure, but Honda could have said "hey Mclaren, either of those conditions separately would mean this won't work, together is pure madness... we're going to decline your offer for us to fund your little disaster". Honda willingly agreed to this cluster fuck, but the cluster fuck was entirely Mclaren's idea. I both can't comprehend how Mclaren thought either condition was reasonable or wouldn't end in disaster but even more so I can't understand why Honda agreed to it. From Mclaren's view point they apparently get the 15 mil of free engines, half the drivers salaries and 50-60mil in sponsorship cash that takes it up to about 100mil total income for them, that is great in terms of surviving as a team but still their conditions meant they get that value and a shit engine. Honda though, they were asked to rush a compact engine which would surely fail... then they were being asked to put 100mil direct into Mclaren, then they have to spend however much they are spending on the engine development. It's completely one sided for them and under conditions that nearly assure failure... whoever signed that deal at Honda fucked up so horrifically badly they should quite literally commit seppuku. Pretending Mclaren is blameless in all this is ridiculous. This isn't hindsight, the second they announced the deal and it was going to be a 18 month development program said this will not work. Rushing engineering of a complex ... well, anything, let alone engine in a bleeding edge motorsport is nothing less than utter stupidity.

rage2
05-12-2017, 06:34 PM
Was that last post written by a Honda fanboy or something? Honda ditched size zero and started working on a brand new engine by the start of 2016. The result for 2017? As Alonso puts it, worse reliability and no power. The fact is that the ERS system is fucked. Can't even create enough excess energy from the MGU-H to allow a full laps worth of power at 1/2 the tracks. Then there's the vibrations where Honda admitted that their single cylinder tests worked fine but didn't on a V6 so they were caught off guard. Who does that? :nut:

Fact is, McLaren might have some funky ideas, most of which doesn't work but some does, but this is all Honda's problem right now. The engine can't survive a lap without blowing up has almost nothing to do with McLaren.

R154
05-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Buds, who is awake!?

I love the Spanish gp. Beautiful setting. It's not a speedog rated track, but I think he just doesn't like F1.

R154
05-13-2017, 06:42 AM
Alonso through to Q3!!!!

tonytiger55
05-13-2017, 08:25 AM
Why (or I should really ask how) you up so early on Saturday...? We live in the future...

*the tiger rolls off the bed and crawls towards PVR...

R154
05-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Live timing. I have a setup man. Live timing on my iPad and the show, I watch sky F1 coverage courtesy of my family in England :D

Besides I usually skype my uncle/cousin and watch it with them.

That.Guy.S30
05-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by R154
Alonso through to Q3!!!!

Vtec kicked in.

phreezee
05-13-2017, 09:40 AM
I let out an OMG when Alonso made Q3 :clap:
Disappointed Vettel was able to split the Mercs, but it looks like the upgrades are still a success.
C'mon Renault and Honda! I really want to see a more competitive midfield.

tonytiger55
05-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by R154
Live timing. I have a setup man. Live timing on my iPad and the show, I watch sky F1 coverage courtesy of my family in England :D

Besides I usually skype my uncle/cousin and watch it with them.

WTF!!!! What is this sorcery you speak of that allows you to watch SKY?!!!! Tell me!!

The start should be interesting. Vettle only off by .050
Bottas ballsed it up on the last turn. His car jumped apex I think.
Kimmi is waay off. I think he needs to take another shit before he starts the race....you know...lighten the load a bit. But then

Alonso FINNNNAAAAALY in Q3. He still away off tough, but needs to watch out for Perez. Other wise Force India might be giving Alonso a chicken tika masala..

WTF happened to Hulkenberg he usually doing a lot better.

This qualifying excitement is too much... I need to make a cup of tea..

tonytiger55
05-13-2017, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by That.Guy.S30

Vtec kicked in.

https://static.carthrottle.com/workspace/uploads/comments/b4f0ecfda2fe739699663acf3bde7e4c.jpg

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

rage2
05-13-2017, 10:07 AM
Was disappointed with that Vettel Q1 cock tease. I wanted his engine to blow up for not listening to the team, not end up P2 in Q3 haha.

tonytiger55
05-13-2017, 02:37 PM
I was listening to the comparisons at the end of the qualifying. It seems like Vettle might be quicker in terms of the overal race.
The side by side with Hamilton was interesting to see how the different cars take the turns.

tonytiger55
05-13-2017, 05:49 PM
Yo Speedog..

Kansas city shuffle is about to kick off... any insights to tonights drive at this giant left turn Mecca?

Jeff Gordon is presenting too. After playing Gran Turismo..Feels weird seeing him on TV..

flipstah
05-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Must be home turf advantage! PAELLA

speedog
05-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Yo Speedog..

Kansas city shuffle is about to kick off... any insights to tonights drive at this giant left turn Mecca?

Jeff Gordon is presenting too. After playing Gran Turismo..Feels weird seeing him on TV..

No insights, stage racing with playoff points has really changed the game - any of the top 30 teams are capable of winning races now. So much strategy now during the races.

R154
05-13-2017, 11:31 PM
I use my uncles skygo login and a VPN service.

You can legit buy sky sports for 15 quid a month. And it's viewable in Canada. Just go to sky's website.

rage2
05-14-2017, 07:14 AM
Solid race so far. The fake strategies over the radio... so good. Still can't tell who will win this.

R154
05-14-2017, 07:18 AM
That sucks for bottas. But what can you do.

Great race.

R154
05-14-2017, 07:35 AM
Watching Alonso pass is like seeing lochness I feel privilege to have seen it. Haha.

Poor Massa. No luck today. Stupid Vettel.

rage2
05-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Alonso in a McLaren passing not 1, but 2 Mercedes powered cars in race at Barcelona. If someone told me that would happen on Friday, I would've lol'd in their face.

tonytiger55
05-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Great race.

Good to see Force India and Hulkenberg in the points.

Ferrari looked liked the better car even though they lost out.

Bring on Monaco...

flipstah
05-14-2017, 09:49 AM
Hmnggghhh

phreezee
05-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Awesome to see some on track passing between Mercedes and Ferrari albeit on different tires.

This was the feel good story of the race for me:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/formula-1/2017/05/14/kimi-raikkonen-young-fan-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.png