PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for detailing your cars interior?

BokCh0y
05-21-2017, 10:02 AM
I used to use armour all for interior cleaning/detailing, but I was told a while back it dries out your dash and causes it to crack. I personally have never had this issue, but nonetheless, I stopped using that product and instead have opted to just wiped the dust off with a clean microfibre cloth.

Fast forward to now, and I notice the interior in my cars has some fading and stuff from the sun, looking to put some life back into the interior dash and trim.

So what does everyone recommend for detailing? Does armour all actually really cause cracking in your dash and such?

K3RMiTdot
05-21-2017, 10:42 AM
I use: 1Z Cockpit Premium & Plastic Deep Clean.

Also use 303 Aerospace Protectant

idriveabox
05-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Wolfgang vinyl rubber protectant / 303

88CRX
05-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Wet micro fiber. Usually takes 2 passes and it's good to go.

SportEL
05-21-2017, 02:46 PM
I used to use 1Z Cockpit Premium but now I'm lazy and more about convenience and less products so I Use Ultima Waterless Wash for both Exterior/Interior.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Wet micro fiber. Usually takes 2 passes and it's good to go.

Same

NoPulp
05-21-2017, 03:00 PM
I think meguiars are by far the best "off the shelf" products. I like their quick interior detailer.

Is conditioning/protecting of modern dashes that big of an issue compared to the past?

Inzane
05-21-2017, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
I used to use armour all for interior cleaning/detailing, but I was told a while back it dries out your dash and causes it to crack. I personally have never had this issue, but nonetheless, I stopped using that product and instead have opted to just wiped the dust off with a clean microfibre cloth.

Fast forward to now, and I notice the interior in my cars has some fading and stuff from the sun, looking to put some life back into the interior dash and trim.

So what does everyone recommend for detailing? Does armour all actually really cause cracking in your dash and such?

I think it's hilarious that the myths about armour all still survive to this day. They've changed the formula over the years. Nowadays it's just another water based dressing. Relatively harmless.

The main reason not to use it vs something else would be more to do with how it makes your dash look (some are more glossy or shiny, some less) and how long any protection lasts.

My current favourite interior product at the moment is Optimum Protectant. I use it on my dash, leather, trim. I buy it by the gallon now.

GQBalla
05-21-2017, 05:23 PM
Dupray steamer

GTR_Auto
05-21-2017, 05:39 PM
https://store.gtrauto.ca/collections/sonax-canada

infamous
05-21-2017, 06:05 PM
As a professional I recommend Aerospace 303. If it's actually dirty, I would use degreaser first and then Aerospace. Best stuff ever, makes plastic look like new without being greasy.

saiyajin
05-21-2017, 06:41 PM
where can you get this aerospace stuff?

infamous
05-21-2017, 06:52 PM
the only place i know of is autovalue, they have 3 different sizes and i always buy the big one lol.

BokCh0y
05-21-2017, 06:53 PM
Thanks for k the responses everyone, and thanks in America for the info that Armour all is water based now. I haven't used anything but a mircofibre cloth and maybe some water to wipe down my dash and door trim.

Yeah where can you get this aerospace 303 stuff?

HiSpec
05-21-2017, 07:56 PM
Thanks for k the responses everyone, and thanks in America for the info that Armour all is water based now. I haven't used anything but a mircofibre cloth and maybe some water to wipe down my dash and door trim.

I've seen it at Auto Value, Carzilla and Auto Obsessed. I think Napa as well... but not 100%.

gpomp
05-21-2017, 09:22 PM
Sonax Dashboard Cleaner is pretty good too. It's supposed to leave an anti-static finish that keeps dust off.

The_Rural_Juror
05-22-2017, 08:12 AM

I bought a gallon when it went on sale on Amazon years ago and still have a lot left. Really good stuff.

BokCh0y
05-22-2017, 10:55 AM
I looked around this the typical chains and no one seems to carry this stuff anymore. Amazon sells a gallon for $150+$150 shipping or $303 + $6 shipping :rofl:

TurboMedic
05-22-2017, 11:33 AM
i use zep orange cleaner diluted to 10:1. Dries really clean, no gloss, cleans everything off effortlessly

Chantastic
05-22-2017, 12:32 PM
I think my brother used to use the 303 stuff for his weathertech mats. I personally prefer the the wipes in the bottles so I usually just use the armorall. I recently switched to the meguires quick detail wipes but I actually prefer a bit more shine than what they offer. I only seem to be able to find the matte bottle of the meguires. Any recommendations? Or is there somewhere that sells a gloss meguires? I can't find any at can tire or auto value.

HiSpec
05-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic
i use zep orange cleaner diluted to 10:1. Dries really clean, no gloss, cleans everything off effortlessly

Zep Orange is great stuff! Dilute it at different ratio for different applications! From wheel/tire and engine bay cleaner to simple dash wipe down.

Originally posted by Chantastic
I think my brother used to use the 303 stuff for his weathertech mats. I personally prefer the the wipes in the bottles so I usually just use the armorall. I recently switched to the meguires quick detail wipes but I actually prefer a bit more shine than what they offer. I only seem to be able to find the matte bottle of the meguires. Any recommendations? Or is there somewhere that sells a gloss meguires? I can't find any at can tire or auto value.

Try their Ultimate Interior Protectant
It has more sheen than their other IQD.

Chantastic
05-22-2017, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

Zep Orange is great stuff! Dilute it at different ratio for different applications! From wheel/tire and engine bay cleaner to simple dash wipe down.

I'll give that a shot! Thanks

TurboMedic
05-23-2017, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec

Agreed, use 4:1 for the engine bay and tires and stuff. Quite versatile and dirt cheap

Mitsu3000gt
05-23-2017, 09:20 AM
~3L of 303 is only $89 on Amazon with free shipping. That would last a very long time.

Those ridiculous prices on Amazon are from the USA and include exchange, duties, etc. you aren't looking at the correct sellers.

Locally most boat stores carry it as well. It's a UV protectant, so that is really one of it's main uses (boat vinyl).

Damp microfiber for dirt + 303 after is the way to go. Do *not* spray it on, spray the cloth only. Buff off IMMEDIATELY with a separate dry microfiber until its totally dry, the more buffing, the better don't let it sit.

G-ZUS
05-23-2017, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
~3L of 303 is only $89 on Amazon with free shipping. That would last a very long time.

Those ridiculous prices on Amazon are from the USA and include exchange, duties, etc. you aren't looking at the correct sellers.

Locally most boat stores carry it as well. It's a UV protectant, so that is really one of it's main uses (boat vinyl).

Damp microfiber for dirt + 303 after is the way to go. Do *not* spray it on, spray the cloth only. Buff off IMMEDIATELY with a separate dry microfiber until its totally dry, the more buffing, the better don't let it sit.

Even cheaper locally @ CarZilla

BokCh0y
05-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

That's great info, thanks for this.

Got a link for the 3L for $89? I can't seem to find it for that price unless you mean the multi-surface cleaner and not protectant?

MSC:

https://www.amazon.ca/303-30570-Multi-Surface-Cleaner-128/dp/B0002KKHSS/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_cp_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002KKHSS&pd_rd_r=R0HGXHKX3VGX0VGG6HJ0&pd_rd_w=KKbr6&pd_rd_wg=AG59K&psc=1&refRID=R0HGXHKX3VGX0VGG6HJ0

Protectant:

https://www.amazon.ca/303-Aerospace-Protectant-128oz-Products/dp/B01MSOZF1B/ref=sr_1_13?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1495574597&sr=1-13&keywords=303+aerospace+protectant

Mitsu3000gt
05-23-2017, 03:33 PM

That's great info, thanks for this.

Got a link for the 3L for $89? I can't seem to find it for that price unless you mean the multi-surface cleaner and not protectant?

MSC:

https://www.amazon.ca/303-30570-Multi-Surface-Cleaner-128/dp/B0002KKHSS/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_cp_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002KKHSS&pd_rd_r=R0HGXHKX3VGX0VGG6HJ0&pd_rd_w=KKbr6&pd_rd_wg=AG59K&psc=1&refRID=R0HGXHKX3VGX0VGG6HJ0

Protectant:

https://www.amazon.ca/303-Aerospace-Protectant-128oz-Products/dp/B01MSOZF1B/ref=sr_1_13?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1495574597&sr=1-13&keywords=303+aerospace+protectant

6 X 473ml:

https://www.amazon.ca/303-130340-Aerospace-Protectant-473/dp/B00G9TFLSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495575183&sr=8-1&keywords=303&th=1

Nice and convenient to be in separate spray bottles, but you could pour it all into a jug if you wanted I guess haha.

The last one I ordered from Amazon broke and leaked a bit (they sent it in a bubble envelope lol), so they let me keep it and just sent me another one so I got (almost) 2 for the price of one.

You can use it on lots of stuff. I've been using it on my camera lens rubber and camera grip rubber for over a decade now and it keeps them both protected and looking like new. To my knowledge 303 is primarily just a water based silicone with above average UV protectants added.