PDA

View Full Version : Bike pathway enforcement

Boosted131
05-23-2017, 04:38 PM
How often have you guys seen bylaw/police doing speed traps/enforcement on the bike paths? I have yet to see one, and do tend to speed a little bit... So just wondering what's the chance of running into one on the pathway or singletrack?

As far as the bike lanes go, there's no issue with traveling 30 kmh/h?

D'z Nutz
05-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Last year was the first year I ever saw them enforcing the speed limit and I probably saw them 3 or 4 times all spring/summer long and they were always around the Eau Claire area:

- the open area between the Eau Claire windmill and the bridge into Prince's Island
- the stretch of path leaving Eau Claire before the flashing 20km/h sign
- the underpass shortly after Joe's Garage

One day they were out there in the morning so on the way home I kept my speed low and sure enough, they were out there after work too.

I would say as long as you're not gunning it in high pedestrian traffic areas, you'll be okay. I haven't had issues going 30km/h in bike lanes, but if I get busted I'm not going to plead ignorance cause there are signs posted all over so there really is no excuse.

If you see them, give oncoming riders a heads up. Someone did that for me last year and saved me from getting a ticket so I returned the favour (to anyone who would listen anyways, cause let's face it: most cyclists are assholes).

lilmira
05-23-2017, 08:29 PM
Yeah Eau Claire is a known spot. Buzzing through there is just asking for trouble with that much pedestrian traffic. I just avoid the area. Dodging around people is no fun ticket or not. Just use caution and you will be fine. It's not like they will hide out on empty stretch of Nose Creek to hand out tickets, not yet anyway.

craigcd
05-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

If you see them, give oncoming riders a heads up. Someone did that for me last year and saved me from getting a ticket so I returned the favour (to anyone who would listen anyways, cause let's face it: most cyclists are assholes).

Same thing happened to me heading towards the zoo after work. Would have got a ticket for sure. Seems like stupid area to enforce compared to closer to downtown. Very little bike/foot traffic.

Boosted131
05-24-2017, 08:21 AM
So just don't drive like an ass in the packed areas and I should be fine, then again there are still riders who go alot quicker than I do, and I never see anyone pulled over.

jwslam
05-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Last year was the first year I ever saw them enforcing the speed limit and I probably saw them 3 or 4 times all spring/summer long and they were always around the Eau Claire area.
Hmm.. I wonder if they enforce no electric bikes and "hover"boards etc.

Joel_D
05-24-2017, 09:45 AM
I've also seen them by Edworthy park, Memorial Drive near Extream bean café, and the 10km section along Memorial Drive, just before the Crowchild bridge. They're easy to spot since they park their police cruiser near the pathway not too far away :rofl:

I could never understand how they chose what day to setup a speed trap. Last year they were out there when it was raining hard, the other time they were setup when I was riding against a 40km wind.

speedog
05-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Most sneaky and bad one I've seen is under the stairs going up to Crescent Road from the curling club and they catching cyclists coming down the hill. Luckily I was stuck behind a group of walkers but there sure were a lot of cyclists getting caught there, kind of a bullshit setup but I supppse rules are rules.

J-hop
05-25-2017, 10:34 PM
Has anyone seen them yet this year? I'm just waiting to get a ticket, 20 is just way too slow, especially in the bicycle only sections. My gf casually riding does 20km/hr no problem and she isn't an overly avid cyclist. When we ride in together and push a decent pace we have been averaging 30km/hr on the pathways.

Boosted131
05-25-2017, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
Has anyone seen them yet this year? I'm just waiting to get a ticket, 20 is just way too slow, especially in the bicycle only sections. My gf casually riding does 20km/hr no problem and she isn't an overly avid cyclist. When we ride in together and push a decent pace we have been averaging 30km/hr on the pathways. I haven't yet and i've done 250 km averaging your kind of speeds since I'm on the ebike

Boosted131
05-30-2017, 10:37 PM
When riding on the roads, do bikes need to follow the 30 kmh playground/school zones? or can I do 40

speedog
05-30-2017, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
When riding on the roads, do bikes need to follow the 30 kmh playground/school zones? or can I do 40

You really have to ask?

As a cyclist, you are expected to follow the rules of the road while on the road - 30kph then.

Thaco
05-31-2017, 07:00 AM
When riding on the roads, do bikes need to follow the 30 kmh playground/school zones? or can I do 40 no cyclists are immune to all the rules of the road... (or at least many of them think they are), feel free to lanesplit, run reds, speed, and do whatever else you choose which makes riding less inconvenient for you.

mr2mike
05-31-2017, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
no cyclists are immune to all the rules of the road...
And the rule typically seen elsewhere in the world, "Biggest vehicle wins".

Boosted131
05-31-2017, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by speedog

You really have to ask?

As a cyclist, you are expected to follow the rules of the road while on the road - 30kph then. I was just curious as I don't see it in the bylaw. So if the speed limit is 60 , I can do 60 with the cars?

Thaco
05-31-2017, 10:48 AM
I was just curious as I don't see it in the bylaw. So if the speed limit is 60 , I can do 60 with the cars? if you're on the road, you're a car.

XylathaneGTR
05-31-2017, 10:51 AM
I was just curious as I don't see it in the bylaw. So if the speed limit is 60 , I can do 60 with the cars? If your legs can pump out the watts, do it up son.

revelations
05-31-2017, 10:56 AM
I would love to see how a 40 in an 30 zone on a bike would be handled in court.
Cyclists dont generally carry speedometers.

Hallowed_point
05-31-2017, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Cyclists dont generally carry speedometers.

:rofl: It's true. Well we are in Calgary - there's a bylaw for that. I have to laugh at the "no biking" signs on the trails/hills around fish creek.

Thaco
05-31-2017, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Cyclists dont generally carry speedometers. ignorance is no excuse. i don't carry a breathalyzer, should i be excused form a DUI for blowing 25% over the legal limit?

sexualbanana
05-31-2017, 11:30 AM
Given the most (if any?) bikes don't have speedometers, how does one know if they're speeding or not?

Boosted131
05-31-2017, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
If your legs can pump out the watts, do it up son. Realistically Im good for about 40 kmh on flat, just wondering if the speeds were as same as the cars.

XylathaneGTR
05-31-2017, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
Given the most (if any?) bikes don't have speedometers, how does one know if they're speeding or not? I've been considering that this would be my defense if I was ever nailed for bike speeding (though like others said, I actively slow down when i'm in the riverwalk area).

If I am flagged, I'd plead my case about not having a speedometer and it being difficult to judge my speed on a bike, and then request that the officer radar me as I approach them, raising their hand when I've hit the speed limit so that I then have an accurate frame of reference.

doubt it would work to a peace officer trying to make a quota...but it's worth a try?

msommers
05-31-2017, 12:14 PM
I've never seen anyone out though our club here in Edmonton warned us we really should get bells as they've been out given $250 tickets for no bell or not using your bell!

I ended up picking up this bell as it fits road bike handlebars for $25 from Pedalhead. It actually has a much more satisfying ring too!

https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/03/02/knog-kickstarts-a-fresh-take-on-the-humble-bike-bell-with-the-oi/

Thing is these are all high-pedestrian areas (in Deadmonton and Calgary) where you can't really fly by anyone anyways, or it'd be hard to do so. Pedestrians are really unpredictable so high speeds around them seems pretty dangerous from a bikers' point of view.

speedog
05-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Realistically Im good for about 40 kmh on flat, just wondering if the speeds were as same as the cars.

So if you're realistically good for 40 on the flats then slowing down for 30 should be easy enough to do and you are most likely intelligent enough to be able to discern that you've slowed down to near 30. Pass any other vehicles though and your ass is grass as that is a complete no no in playground zones.

D'z Nutz
05-31-2017, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I've never seen anyone out though our club here in Edmonton warned us we really should get bells as they've been out given $250 tickets for no bell or not using your bell!

I ended up picking up this bell as it fits road bike handlebars for $25 from Pedalhead. It actually has a much more satisfying ring too!

https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/03/02/knog-kickstarts-a-fresh-take-on-the-humble-bike-bell-with-the-oi/

Thing is these are all high-pedestrian areas (in Deadmonton and Calgary) where you can't really fly by anyone anyways, or it'd be hard to do so. Pedestrians are really unpredictable so high speeds around them seems pretty dangerous from a bikers' point of view.

Man, I couldn't imagine not having a bell. I went riding on a bike without one and I was shocked at how often I relied on it when I was on one of my bikes. I'm constantly using it to let other cyclists, joggers, and pedestrians know I'm coming up from behind.

They were selling those bikes at the Bike to Work day event at Eau Claire a few weeks back. They're really nice looking. I almost bought one, but I didn't really need it.

blitz
05-31-2017, 12:46 PM

Man, I couldn't imagine not having a bell. I went riding on a bike without one and I was shocked at how often I relied on it when I was on one of my bikes. I'm constantly using it to let other cyclists, joggers, and pedestrians know I'm coming up from behind.

They were selling those bikes at the Bike to Work day event at Eau Claire a few weeks back. They're really nice looking. I almost bought one, but I didn't really need it.

I bought those bells for my new bikes, they're so awesome. MEC and The Bike Shop both carry them now.

Boosted131
05-31-2017, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by speedog

So if you're realistically good for 40 on the flats then slowing down for 30 should be easy enough to do and you are most likely intelligent enough to be able to discern that you've slowed down to near 30. Pass any other vehicles though and your ass is grass as that is a complete no no in playground zones. Yea I have no issue following the 30kmh rules in the playground zone, this was just a question, I wasn't trying to see how much of an ass I can be without getting any tickets haha.

Can anyone recommend a decent horn/bell?

lilmira
05-31-2017, 01:27 PM
I've heard of cyclist getting in trouble by speeding on the road. It's not that hard to believe one can get stupidly fast on a downhill. Just use your head, if you need a rule book to stay out of trouble all the time you are doing it wrong.

revelations
05-31-2017, 01:51 PM
I mean if youre passing cars in a 30 zone, then yeah I can see a speeding ticket sticking, but otherwise, you have no frame of reference.

Ignorance is not an excuse for Criminal Laws. If I am permitted to use a bicycle on the roads without a way of knowing or comparing how fast I am going, the should be no tickets for this - unless I am blowing past everyone.

Penguin_Racecar
05-31-2017, 01:57 PM
I got a thumbs up from police shooting radar while I was bombing down Bow Trail by sarcee at ~60km/hr :D
Speed limit is 60 there I think.

Penguin_Racecar
05-31-2017, 02:04 PM

Do you happen to know if anyone in Calgary (Pedalhead perhaps) carries these?

edit: just reading reviews. People are saying they're way too quiet. Probably not a good idea seeing as I'm a habitual speeder on pathways.

Boosted131
05-31-2017, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
I got a thumbs up from police shooting radar while I was bombing down Bow Trail by sarcee at ~60km/hr :D
Speed limit is 60 there I think. My highest speed recorded shows 57km/h going down Erlton hill . The only peace officers I have seen didn't even have radar guns and I was coming up on them at 35km/h

Xtrema
05-31-2017, 02:22 PM
My route tends to stay away from heavy traffic area. But only time I see them, they were at the north side of Bow between Center and Crowchild.

And I understand why because that section is narrow.

XylathaneGTR
05-31-2017, 04:36 PM

I have one on my MTB, it's slick.
I would definitely say it's louder and sharper than the common BBB-12 dome-bell that I have on my road bike.

J-hop
05-31-2017, 10:28 PM

I'll admit I'm kind of an ass to people that don't have/use a bell.

I've almost bailed a couple of times on my commute because people (generally wannabe cyclocrossers) try to pass as I'm about to pass a pedestrian or slow cyclist. So now I ring my bell and then signal I'm passing with a left fist. Any cyclocross loser not making themselves known is going to get a fist to the face and I'm not going to feel bad about it haha.

jampack
06-01-2017, 05:55 PM

Hey, this bike bell is really slick and looks nice. It only occupies a small space on the handlebar on a road bike (I still have lots of space for my GPS and light with it). Got one from Calgary Cycle and they still gave me discount for it which is great because I saw them also in Sporting Life at Southcentre and they were $5 less. Still have to try it. :)

RX-7_TWINTURBO
06-01-2017, 10:42 PM

Do you happen to know if anyone in Calgary (Pedalhead perhaps) carries these?

edit: just reading reviews. People are saying they're way too quiet. Probably not a good idea seeing as I'm a habitual speeder on pathways.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5054-491/Oi-Bell-Aluminium

Boosted131
06-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Does anyone ever pass the peace officers on the pathway? They usually do around 20 km/h, and going by them just seems like I'd be asking for it, but traveling behind them is painful as well.

lilmira
06-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Try forming a peloton behind them

Penguin_Racecar
06-08-2017, 09:14 PM
You should draft them and then crush their hopes and dreams on the climbs.

Brent.ff
06-09-2017, 10:24 AM
You should draft them and then crush their hopes and dreams on the climbs.

feel like they'd have to catch you, and their bikes are definitely not gonna catch a half-decent guy in shape on a roadie?

Penguin_Racecar
06-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Brent.ff

feel like they'd have to catch you, and their bikes are definitely not gonna catch a half-decent guy in shape on a roadie?

I would say you're probably right. The guy that trains the CPS bike cops is super fit though but I don't think he's in enforcement.

Boosted131
06-09-2017, 10:51 AM

I would say you're probably right. The guy that trains the CPS bike cops is super fit though but I don't think he's in enforcement. I'd be worried that they would radio ahead to other units like the police would if you outran them.

XylathaneGTR
06-14-2017, 05:35 PM
Does anyone ever pass the peace officers on the pathway? They usually do around 20 km/h, and going by them just seems like I'd be asking for it, but traveling behind them is painful as well.

I passed bike cops a few times...both in the EV and the riverwalk (they were riding on the footpath and not the bike path...come on guys). I've never thought of it as a big deal. I probably wouldn't pass them at an all-out sprint though...