PDA

View Full Version : What recent Mid-Size SUV to Buy - $25k

cam_wmh
05-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Girlfriend is looking to replace her 2015 Golf, with an SUV.

Narrowed down to the following used models;

Aeshetics, size, and general knowledge has the choices limited to these 3. Unlikely to consider any others.
Toyota 4-Runner
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Volkswagen Touareg

Budget; <$25k

* Preferably < ~100k
* Can tow; (jetski, fishing boat, utility trailer, and potentially small travel trailer)
* Tall'ish. which rules out Outbacks etc;
* Leather
* Decent creature comforts; Bluetooth, Reverse Camera, etc;

What's maintenance like on each? VW fan boy in me, romanticizes the V10 diesel, but not repair bills.

Aleks
05-24-2017, 07:54 AM
My choice would be a 4runner. You have to watch the ads every few hours on those however. A good 4runner (price and kms) will be picked up in less than 24 hours on kijiji. Helped a family member shop for these recently.

jwslam
05-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Xterra?

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/calgary/xterra/k0c174l1700199?price=__25000&kilometers=1000__100000

r3ccOs
05-24-2017, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
Xterra?

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/calgary/xterra/k0c174l1700199?price=__25000&amp;kilometers=1000__100000

I agree a Xterra is the poor mans 4Runner that may be as reliable and possibly more capable

riander5
05-24-2017, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by cam_wmh
Girlfriend is looking to replace her 2015 Golf, with an SUV.

Narrowed down to the following used models;

Aeshetics, size, and general knowledge has the choices limited to these 3. Unlikely to consider any others.
Toyota 4-Runner
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Volkswagen Touareg

Budget; &lt;$25k

* Preferably &lt; ~100k
* Can tow; (jetski, fishing boat, utility trailer, and potentially small travel trailer)
* Tall'ish. which rules out Outbacks etc;
* Leather
* Decent creature comforts; Bluetooth, Reverse Camera, etc;

What's maintenance like on each? VW fan boy in me, romanticizes the V10 diesel, but not repair bills.

You paying for it? Going in hot and heavy. Thataboy

cam_wmh
05-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
My choice would be a 4runner. You have to watch the ads every few hours on those however. A good 4runner (price and kms) will be picked up in less than 24 hours on kijiji. Helped a family member shop for these recently.

Thanks for the heads-up, makes sense - as they're hard to find. I've got an alert subbed for em. Did you compare the 4th gen to the 5th gen by chance? Any insight between the new V6 & outgoing V8?

Originally posted by jwslam
Xterra?

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/calgary/xterra/k0c174l1700199?price=__25000&amp;kilometers=1000__100000
No thanks. Just the 3 listed.

Originally posted by riander5

You paying for it? Going in hot and heavy. Thataboy

haha.. no!

Aleks
05-24-2017, 08:44 AM
We just looked at the 4th gen since that was the budget. Ended up with a V8 limited. Has less hp than V6, but more torque. It's very smooth, sounds good and only slightly less efficient than the V6.

From looking online both engines are good choices. The V8 has a timing belt where the V6 has the chain, but the timing belt job is just under $500 at Toyota. The V8 also comes with air suspension in the back which is something to check out before picking one up.

R-Audi
05-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Although its slightly bigger, you may be better off looking at a Lexus GX470 instead of a 4runner. They have the same motor (V8), chasis, suspension etc with a nicer interior. You are more likley to find one in better condition as well. After looking for many months for a 4runner I gave up and found a GX within a few weeks..

r3ccOs
05-24-2017, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Although its slightly bigger, you may be better off looking at a Lexus GX470 instead of a 4runner. They have the same motor (V8), chasis, suspension etc with a nicer interior. You are more likley to find one in better condition as well. After looking for many months for a 4runner I gave up and found a GX within a few weeks..

not sure you'd get the same kind of KM's in that price point

Seriously though... Xterra isn't a bad option if you need actual utility

but used SantaFE is also a very good bet,

cam_wmh
05-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

* Hyundai Sante Fe. Unimpressive aesthetically, brand quality concerns, & the only engine of interest is limited to the long wheel base.

* Nissan X-Terra. Appreciate the minimalism, and impressive off-roading. We fine it unattractive, and ironically, to find one in leather they're all over $30k. Is that a weirdly, new available option? 14+?

Mark, what year did you get? Trying to draw the line around 2010, unless a stellar 4th gen 4Runner pops up. Looks like it may be too big anyway.

R-Audi
05-24-2017, 03:35 PM
I picked up a 2007 with 110km for $19k... Not sure if you can find the newer model that cheap or not. This generation ended in 2008.

For the Xterras, make sure whatever year you look at has the updated radiators... previous ones are apparently ticking timebombs. (Radiator has a tranny cooler inside, they lek and wreck the tranny)

Worth noting on the Santa Fe's, my Wife has had one since 2014 and we love it.. no concerns with anything. Actually quite peppy! (2.0T)

Xtrema
05-24-2017, 04:16 PM
Q5?

http://i.imgur.com/H2c8muD.jpg

relyt92
05-24-2017, 07:32 PM
What's her thoughts on 4x4 vs awd? All wheel drive would be better suited as a daily driver in the city.

cam_wmh
05-24-2017, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Q5?

Hilarious, we just started talking about both the Q5, and FX50 tonight.
Both are now added to her list & I'll expand on the criteria;

Mid-Size. Generally, an SUV that can seat 7, will be too big.
~300hp/tq

Probably best to get the ol 3.2 block in the Q5?
How about the FX50? Thoughts on that V8?

Originally posted by relyt92
What's her thoughts on 4x4 vs awd? All wheel drive would be better suited as a daily driver in the city.

With the anticipated use, AWD would be better for sure.

redblack
05-25-2017, 01:44 AM
Audi 3.2 fsi = carbon build up and clogged fuel injectors

RickDaTuner
05-25-2017, 05:43 AM
I own a Touareg, and have been loving it. Although its a real pig on gas. about 18l/100km (premium)rear world use
The interior is quite decent, ride quality is great, and it can tow 8500lbs no problem, probably even more with weight distribution and electric brakes.

Other than that, the Q5/ Q7 are great options.
There are Porsche Cayennes' for about that price, but the maintenance will get very expensive.

Toyota tends to have lower tow capacity, and despite price, they tend to have a cheaper feel to them.

Stay away from any of the BMW X models, they are nothing but trouble once they get older.

And domestic SUVs do very well towing as well, but have a hard depreciation, notably though the Ford expedition can tow 12000lbs off the hitch.

Best of luck

85regal
05-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

a used santa fe would be a horrible buy, and i worked for hyundai for 5 years a tech. go for the 4runner. the grand cherokee should not be an option if you can get a 4runner.

relyt92
05-25-2017, 09:16 PM

Hilarious, we just started talking about both the Q5, and FX50 tonight.
Both are now added to her list &amp; I'll expand on the criteria;

Mid-Size. Generally, an SUV that can seat 7, will be too big.
~300hp/tq

Probably best to get the ol 3.2 block in the Q5?
How about the FX50? Thoughts on that V8?

With the anticipated use, AWD would be better for sure. That's what I thought about the 4x4, which would rule out the 4runner unless you went with the limited model I think. I don't know about the FX50, but the FX37 is fairly solid with ~330hp. Might be worth a look, they have a pretty nice interior on them too.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-26-2017, 10:10 PM
I'd go with the Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. Good towing, comfy, solid drivetrain. Don't get the fancy one with air suspension.

Sugarphreak
05-26-2017, 10:46 PM

spikerS
05-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
I'd go with the Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. Good towing, comfy, solid drivetrain. Don't get the fancy one with air suspension.

+1

And for a 4 runner under 25k with less than 100k on the ODO...I would be very suspicious of it.

cam_wmh
05-29-2017, 09:32 AM
Fellas, thanks for all the replies. Here's my comments to each.

Originally posted by relyt92
That's what I thought about the 4x4, which would rule out the 4runner unless you went with the limited model I think. I don't know about the FX50, but the FX37 is fairly solid with ~330hp. Might be worth a look, they have a pretty nice interior on them too.

I liked the FX50, it's got jam, but apparently outside of the engine, they aren't suited for towing. The better half, also doesn't love the looks of it.

Yep, agreed. Dodge reliability/depreciation is a concern, but at this re-sale segment, there is some good value to be had. Importantly, she likes the look of them.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

The 2.0t is rated for 4400lbs, great on fuel, and a reliable workhorse

No need to go to the 3.2 and deal with all of the issues that come along with that engine.

Couple of quotes I found on other forums about it:

I could not get behind the poor low end (RPM) torque of the 2.0T
I know that engine well. My old R (EA113), had 350hp & lb/ft. Yet , it was still weak downlow; -- where I'd be looking for power; especially around the mountains. My new R, while yet to be modded, is weaker downlow than my old R, and it's an EA888.

I found that same snapshot/comment of that guy towing his car, across a few forums, yet very little else that wasn't a tent-trailer. Additionally, the OEM towing package is expensive, if not originally installed. Not ruling it out, but 3.2 is the aim. Plus my favourite VW ever, had a 3.2VR ;)

Originally posted by spikerS

+1

And for a 4 runner under 25k with less than 100k on the ODO...I would be very suspicious of it.
Yep totally, that's what we're finding.

cam_wmh
06-06-2017, 09:52 AM
Stiiiiiiiillll looking.

For the Grand Cherokee; anything to look out for?
V6 vs V8?

She's added the X5 (E70). Am I right in being afraid of the maintenance?

R-Audi
06-06-2017, 10:11 AM
Stiiiiiiiillll looking.

V6 vs V8?

STAY AWAY from the Jeep 9 speed transmision... ZF I think. Its brutal with no real fix.

cam_wmh
06-07-2017, 10:19 AM

STAY AWAY from the Jeep 9 speed transmision... ZF I think. Its brutal with no real fix.
Thanks Mark. Seems that 9 speed transmission, is only found on that ugly looking regular Cherokee.

Going back to this comment, seems to be where we're headed. We're gonna check out a couple Grand Cherokees this week. The Quadra Lift does sound enticing though. Why do you suggest avoiding it?

FraserB
06-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Going back to this comment, seems to be where we're headed. We're gonna check out a couple Grand Cherokees this week. The Quadra Lift does sound enticing though. Why do you suggest avoiding it?

It was finicky and seemed to be plagued by problems, getting jammed in the up or down position.

Oddly enough, I'm getting back into one as well as soon as I'm back to work. You can get 2014-2016 models in the $30k range now

BerserkerCatSplat
06-07-2017, 10:48 PM

The QL system is quite complicated, and if it breaks it's really expensive to fix. Most parts for Jeeps are relatively cheap coming from the Dodge parts bin, but that airlift stuff is pricey. It's cool as hell, but unless you reeeeally need it (or only plan to own it under warranty), I'd stick to conventional suspension.

Forkster
06-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Stiiiiiiiillll looking.

V6 vs V8?

She's added the X5 (E70). Am I right in being afraid of the maintenance? Get her a used Subaru Forester XT. It's pretty quick, built to last, and pretty safe.

rizfarmer
06-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Get her a used Subaru Forester XT. It's pretty quick, built to last, and pretty safe.
He seems to be looking for something with some towing capacity so forester is probably out.

I am looking at somewhat similar vehicles, except new. Lease deals will greatly influence my decision, want to be <$600 monthly taxes-in ideally, would put a few grand down on a 36-48 mo lease to get there. sorry for for the :hijack: but figured I would save everyone from another What To Buy thread... and generate more discussion for the OP anyway. Lease is up on my GTI (which I love) in Oct, here is my situation and what I need:

-Comfortable 3500lb towing capacity
-A few luxury features and creature comforts. This will be my daily
-Less than full size (I would gladly buy a full size pickup or large truck based SUV and be done with it but my work and home parking spaces require something "mid sized" or smaller

Here's what I'm looking at:
-2014+ 4Runner- only used vehicle I am considering. would buy or try taking over a lease but finding it very difficult to find a reasonably priced Trail or Limited in my area (Winnipeg). Fully confident in this vehicle but downside is they feel gutlesss AF to drive

-Q5- love the new interiors, familiar with the VAG product has a reasonable 4400 lb towing capacity. Question is much the same as the OP about the Q5 towing capacity. Does anyone here have any real towing experience near capacity with the Q5?

-Grand Cherokee- really dislike Chrysler products but this vehicle even in base form ticks all the boxes and 0% lease deals. Drove one the other day and didn't mind it

-Land Rover Discovery Sport - decent lease deals, towing capacity, never driven one and no familiarity with Jaguar/LR products. Anyone have any first hand experience, particularly with towing?

If all else fails will buy a '17 Off-Road SB Tacoma but after taxes in MB you are pushing $50k for that vehicle and would prefer not to go there. I've had a Tacoma in the past and the long box was just long enough that it was inconvenient to maneuver in my parkade.

cam_wmh
06-12-2017, 10:10 AM
He seems to be looking for something with some towing capacity so forester is probably out.

I am looking at somewhat similar vehicles, except new. Lease deals will greatly influence my decision, want to be <$600 monthly taxes-in ideally, would put a few grand down on a 36-48 mo lease to get there. sorry for for the :hijack: but figured I would save everyone from another What To Buy thread... and generate more discussion for the OP anyway. Lease is up on my GTI (which I love) in Oct, here is my situation and what I need:

-Comfortable 3500lb towing capacity
-A few luxury features and creature comforts. This will be my daily
-Less than full size (I would gladly buy a full size pickup or large truck based SUV and be done with it but my work and home parking spaces require something "mid sized" or smaller

Here's what I'm looking at:
-2014+ 4Runner- only used vehicle I am considering. would buy or try taking over a lease but finding it very difficult to find a reasonably priced Trail or Limited in my area (Winnipeg). Fully confident in this vehicle but downside is they feel gutlesss AF to drive

-Q5- love the new interiors, familiar with the VAG product has a reasonable 4400 lb towing capacity. Question is much the same as the OP about the Q5 towing capacity. Does anyone here have any real towing experience near capacity with the Q5?

-Grand Cherokee- really dislike Chrysler products but this vehicle even in base form ticks all the boxes and 0% lease deals. Drove one the other day and didn't mind it

-Land Rover Discovery Sport - decent lease deals, towing capacity, never driven one and no familiarity with Jaguar/LR products. Anyone have any first hand experience, particularly with towing?

If all else fails will buy a '17 Off-Road SB Tacoma but after taxes in MB you are pushing $50k for that vehicle and would prefer not to go there. I've had a Tacoma in the past and the long box was just long enough that it was inconvenient to maneuver in my parkade.

Yup, Forester is out. Need towing capacity, and we're close on a Grand Cherokee Overland. It does have the Quadra Lift too. There are few vehicles, in Chrysler's entire catalogue, that inspire confidence. They've been making the GC for ages, and it's a class leader; so one of their only models I'd concede to that brand. It checks off all the boxes too.

Finding a decent 3.2 Q5, is as daunting a task as finding a reasonably priced, recent low mileage 4Runner.

cam_wmh
06-13-2017, 09:50 AM
For those considering the Q5, & the 2.0T.. This is anecdotal again, but my god is the latest gen 2.0T weak down low; my mk7R
Granted it's stock, but you're into clutch burning territory, if you want to start in second.

Sticking my neck out here, but if you're towing, I can really only of the 3.0T in the SQ5, or the Ford EcoBoost V6 as FI'd, SUV engines.
trucks aren't my forte, so potentially missing some

Darkane
06-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Just want to throw in my opinion regarding the Grand Cherokee. My father in law has one and has been very loyal to Jeep for the last 8 years, getting a new work Cherokee every two years. This is his fourth, and I've driven them all.

The most recent one (2015) V6, 8sp is actually very pleasant. It's very loaded (the Hemi came in too expensive for the options he wanted).

It can tow decently, we tow his boat with it but it's not super heavy mind you. It's comfortable, gets good fuel economy for being a box. Every refresh Jeep has refined itself.

Now for the caveat: It's a body on frame SUV. Due to this the interior room is less than say a new CR-V.

Example:

Jeep storage in back to seat: 36.9
CRV to back of seat: 39.2

Seats folded Jeep: 68.3 CRV: 75.8

Above in cubic feet.

Anyway can't go wrong with the Jeep, and seeing how you need towing it'll beat all the Unibody CUVs by quite a bit. Mind you the Pathfinder is now 6000? The 2013+ are 5000lbs.

cam_wmh
06-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Just want to throw in my opinion regarding the Grand Cherokee. My father in law has one and has been very loyal to Jeep for the last 8 years, getting a new work Cherokee every two years. This is his fourth, and I've driven them all.

The most recent one (2015) V6, 8sp is actually very pleasant. It's very loaded (the Hemi came in too expensive for the options he wanted).

It can tow decently, we tow his boat with it but it's not super heavy mind you. It's comfortable, gets good fuel economy for being a box. Every refresh Jeep has refined itself.

Now for the caveat: It's a body on frame SUV. Due to this the interior room is less than say a new CR-V.

Example:

Jeep storage in back to seat: 36.9
CRV to back of seat: 39.2

Seats folded Jeep: 68.3 CRV: 75.8

Above in cubic feet.

Anyway can't go wrong with the Jeep, and seeing how you need towing it'll beat all the Unibody CUVs by quite a bit. Mind you the Pathfinder is now 6000? The 2013+ are 5000lbs.

Appreciate the feedback. Interior cargo space, is a concession we can make.

Euro838
06-13-2017, 02:42 PM
What about the V6 RDX (i.e. 2013+)? Should be lots of those around and maintenance is easy and quite reliable. Probably not the most exciting of drives but crosses off many of the boxes.

cam_wmh
06-13-2017, 02:52 PM
What about the V6 RDX (i.e. 2013+)? Should be lots of those around and maintenance is easy and quite reliable. Probably not the most exciting of drives but crosses off many of the boxes.

LOL. Max towing of 1,500lbs

SkiBum5.0
06-13-2017, 03:01 PM
rizfarmer - what do the lease deals look like on a 4Runner? When I bought mine, the used ones were more expensive than buying new. I actually sold my blue trail to a guy from Winnipeg - Daryl Diamond - legendary name

Xtrema
06-13-2017, 04:26 PM
rizfarmer - what do the lease deals look like on a 4Runner? When I bought mine, the used ones were more expensive than buying new. I actually sold my blue trail to a guy from Winnipeg - Daryl Diamond - legendary name

Leasing is stupid, like $700/month for a $45K truck. It's one of those trucks that resale well, finance or cash.

npham
06-13-2017, 04:53 PM
A TDI Q5 would be a nice option if you don't like the 2.0 engine. They are pretty fun to drive with 400+ft/lbs of torque.

rizfarmer
06-13-2017, 09:20 PM

Yes a few years ago, maybe when you bought yours, 4Runners were a relative bargain. Toyota doesn't need help selling them so lease rates are brutal on the 4Runner so you may as well buy it, but a Trail trim is pushing mid 50's in MB:nut:

Leasing is stupid, like $700/month for a $45K truck. It's one of those trucks that resale well, finance or cash.

Aleks
06-14-2017, 07:54 AM

36 month lease and finance rate is the same. 48 month the lease is 0.5% more.

As long as you sell your 4runner and not turn it back in at lease end, there won't be much difference in TCO at 36 months.

SkiBum5.0
06-14-2017, 08:09 AM
Yes a few years ago, maybe when you bought yours, 4Runners were a relative bargain. Toyota doesn't need help selling them so lease rates are brutal on the 4Runner so you may as well buy it, but a Trail trim is pushing mid 50's in MB:nut:

Wow things have changed. My 2015 Trail leased at $502 taxes in, nothing down. Let me know if you need a contact at an AB Toyota dealer. My brother used to be the regional rep for Toyota Canada out there. FYI, I have a line on a lightly used (<20K kms), Salsa Red Trail in Calgary. It was a demo (my brother's) and now belongs to a friend who is moving on.

cam_wmh
06-14-2017, 08:49 AM
A TDI Q5 would be a nice option if you don't like the 2.0 engine. They are pretty fun to drive with 400+ft/lbs of torque.

Sadly, they are so hard to find, <$30k & <100km. Nationally, one in Nanaimo, one in Sherbrooke.

Xtrema
06-14-2017, 09:10 AM
Sadly, they are so hard to find, <$30k & <100km. Nationally, one in Nanaimo, one in Sherbrooke.

Surprised anyone even let that thing go. Buy back program is coming and you are basically driving those for free right now.

http://www.audi.ca/ca/web/en/service/3-tdi.html

rizfarmer
06-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Wow things have changed. My 2015 Trail leased at $502 taxes in, nothing down. Let me know if you need a contact at an AB Toyota dealer. My brother used to be the regional rep for Toyota Canada out there. FYI, I have a line on a lightly used (<20K kms), Salsa Red Trail in Calgary. It was a demo (my brother's) and now belongs to a friend who is moving on.

I'll pm you

bh87
06-14-2017, 11:09 AM
+1 for 4th gen 4Runner.

I had a 2005 V8 Limited, bought used in 2010 for $18k with 190,000kms (with rear Air suspension) which never had an issue. Sold it last year for $12k with 260,000 km's and wanted to get a new 5th gen 4Runner but the V6 is as others have said gutless. If you are looking at the V8, watch out for cracked exhaust manifold (can hear ticking noise on start up and under acceleration when engine is cold) dealer charges $1,200 per side to replace, you can go aftermarket for about half. As for V8 power vs V6 power, when the V8 changed to a VVTi engine for 2005 the hp went up to 282 (and was now more than the V6). Also to note, V8 is full time AWD with center diff lock (standard on all 4th gen's V6 or V8) to engage 4WD (and has 4 Lo). With either engine check to make sure the center diff lock engages quickly (4-5 flashes on the dash at most) and without a thud and disengages easily as well (same for 4wd Lo). This part gets neglected and should be exercised monthly if possible as if it ceases/fails its pricey to fix. Check there is no leakage on the seal either after engaging/disengaging (crawl under the vehicle and look where the rear drive shaft meets the transfer case, on the T case itself there is a noticeable area where you can see a sealant ring, no fluid or evidence of fluid should be present). Wheel bearings are also common to fail but are reasonable to replace (you will hear a roaring sound when changing lanes or taking turns at speeds above 30km/h). The final common issue is the XREAS suspension system, all sport and limited models have it and if any 1 shock is showing sign of leakage the system is compromised and needs to be replaced. Factory replacement is upwards of $2k, but your better off ditching the system and going for a set of bilstein shocks (adjustable is possible). Note, if you have the rear air suspension (RAS) you will be very limited with your lift options if you choose to do so. I also suggest looking in to a leveling kit for the front since the 4th gen has quite a bit of factory rake on it and depending on the kit can actually improve the ride a little bit.

If you get one, your first mod should be removing the hydrocarbon filter (hcf), it is free and opens up the throttle a bit. Its located near the airbox in the intake adjacent to the air filter, you will see it when lifting the tube off of the airbox it is dark grey and pops out quite easily with a flathead screwdriver. All it is supposed to do is ensure that any unburned fuel remaining in the engine doesn't escape through the intake to potentially impact environmental testing. I had one in my current GX and ripped it out as well, seat of the pants test tells me the engine is a little more happy and breathing a bit better.

Edit: spelling

R-Audi
06-14-2017, 02:17 PM
+1 for 4th gen 4Runner.
Note, if you have the rear air suspension (RAS) you will be very limited with your lift options if you choose to do so. I also suggest looking in to a leveling kit for the front since the 4th gen has quite a bit of factory rake on it and depending on the kit can actually improve the ride a little bit.

There are now several air to coil conversion kits out there... start out at $60usd plus coils. (You can use 4runner/FJ/Tacoma coils) I recently completed this for my GX470.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-14-2017, 08:54 PM

The Grand Cherokee is not, and never has been, a body-on-frame SUV. It's a unibody.

bh87
06-15-2017, 10:45 AM
There are now several air to coil conversion kits out there... start out at $60usd plus coils. (You can use 4runner/FJ/Tacoma coils) I recently completed this for my GX470.

Good point, I should have been more clear. If you have the RAS and want to keep it, the lift options are very limited. Main option being to re-calibrate the system to set the standard height as a higher height but only so much lift can be achieved with this.

rizfarmer
06-15-2017, 10:47 AM
Anyone have thoughts on the new VW Atlas yet?

lilmira
06-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Picking up an alltrack tonight, may go check out the atlas for kicks.

gpomp
06-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Anyone have thoughts on the new VW Atlas yet?
C&D just reviewed one. Poor acceleration and fuel economy compared to the competition. Lots of room inside though...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-volkswagen-atlas-v-6-4motion-test-review

cam_wmh
06-15-2017, 11:46 AM
C&D just reviewed one. Poor acceleration and fuel economy compared to the competition. Lots of room inside though...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-volkswagen-atlas-v-6-4motion-test-review

The SUV for those that won't get what they really need, a Minivan.

rizfarmer
06-15-2017, 09:41 PM
The SUV for those that won't get what they really need, a Minivan.

Know exactly what you mean, can't stand those type of vehicles. We've had an odyssey and it was great, but because it was a van it got so much hate from friends and family that drove superior non-minivan vehicles like Ford Freestyles

- - - Updated - - -

Picking up an alltrack tonight, may go check out the atlas for kicks.

If I didn't need some towing capacity alltrack/sportwagen was at the top of my list. Congrats on the pick up.