PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen Mazda 3 rust?

Chantastic
05-23-2017, 07:57 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some local opinions/experiences on winter driven 2nd gen Mazda/Mazdaspeed 3 for rust. I can't seem to find any definitive answer on whether or not this is still an issue after searching a few different forums. We've all seen first gen 3's that have become swiss cheese, mind you I've never seen either generation Speed 3 with rust issues. I assume that's because the owners actually take care of their cars, or just don't winter drive them. I have yet to see any 2nd gen 3 (Speed3 or not) with rust issues... so are they in the clear?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Maxx Mazda
05-23-2017, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately, no. They are better as far as their tolerance to rust, but certainly not immune.

heavyD
05-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Mazda still lags behind most automakers when it comes to rust prevention but new models aren't nearly as bad as early/mid-90's models but it's kind of alarming that you can see plenty of Gen 3 cars with rust around weld spots.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-24-2017, 08:52 AM
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 with 203k and it hasn't shown any signs of rust. I've washed it maybe five times in the last 120k km.

I'm actually surprised it isn't rusting tbh.

OTown
05-24-2017, 06:11 PM
My 07 was starting to rust in a few small spots, but I primarily drove it out east where they used more salt during the winters. I loved the car, but that was one thing I was really scared of getting. I think they got a little better as the years went along though. The 05's were really bad for rust, same with the proteges. I guess to be safe and slow it down you can Krown treat the underside.

Chantastic
05-24-2017, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone. At this point I'm just not sure if it's a gamble or not - I would like some more insight if anyone else is reading this. I have some friends that I know don't take care of their 2nd gens and they seem to be just fine...

Xtrema
05-25-2017, 10:48 AM
As long as they stay away from water and touch up all the paint chips, you should be ok in Alberta.

Ontario/Quebec where they use salt, you are toasted.

But if rust is a major concern, stay away from Mazda if you are buying used.