PDA

View Full Version : Fidget Gadgets?

jwslam
05-24-2017, 08:35 AM
Anyone have one of these, whatever they are?
Do you think they're acceptable to use in meetings?

I got a Fidget Cube and toying with the idea of using it under the desk in meetings.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DncAAOSwcUBYS2gT/s-l300.jpg

D'z Nutz
05-24-2017, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
Do you think they're acceptable to use in meetings?

Are you serious? Do you work at a toy factory? I can't believe someone has to even ask.

ExtraSlow
05-24-2017, 08:45 AM
If they make a sound, would not be acceptable. Also, if you work with jerks like me there is a 100% chance someone makes a joke about you masturbating under the table.

Honest question, do you think it would help you focus, or would it just be a pleasant distraction that you hope is more acceptable than a smartphone? I fidget pretty bad, this could be a helpful option.

killramos
05-24-2017, 08:57 AM
In what way could this ever be considered appropriate in a meeting?

If I pulled something like that out in a business meeting I would expect to be asked to leave.

millenials :nut:

Sugarphreak
05-24-2017, 09:01 AM

spikerS
05-24-2017, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Are you serious? Do you work at a toy factory? I can't believe someone has to even ask.

If someone pulled one of those out, or a fidget spinner in a meeting I was holding, I would call them out in a heartbeat in front of everyone.

Shit like that has no place in a business environment like a boardroom. At your desk, fine, but in a meeting, if you are disposable, you just made the top of the list.

D'z Nutz
05-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by spikerS
If someone pulled one of those out, or a fidget spinner in a meeting I was holding, I would call them out in a heartbeat in front of everyone.

As would I (and I'm sure I'd get a call from HR shortly after for some sensitivity training or something after cause of hurt feelings).

Hell, I've called out people for delaying the start of MY meetings because they were busy showing photos of their kids on their phones. Go do that on your own time.

flipstah
05-24-2017, 09:16 AM
What the fuck is a fidget gadget

LUDELVR
05-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Here's the original fidget gadget:

http://www.hotdogstohaggis.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/hands_twiddling_thumbs_lg_nwm.gif

speedog
05-24-2017, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

As would I (and I'm sure I'd get a call from HR shortly after for some sensitivity training or something after cause of hurt feelings).

Hell, I've called out people for delaying the start of MY meetings because they were busy showing photos of their kids on their phones. Go do that on your own time.

But it's okay to use a phone to surf/email/etc during meetings - there should be a new meeting handbook made up for old fart like me. Too old school I guess - phone goes on silent in pocket anytime during a meeting, start, end and in between unless there's a called break in the meeting. Fidget shit should mean a dry eraser to the noggin - hit the fidgety one hard enough to knock them out and that problem is solved.

Xtrema
05-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
What the fuck is a fidget gadget

Some mom comes up with the design in the 90s, didn't go anywhere, couldn't afford keep paying for the patent, stole by the Chinese and mass produced at low cost. Kids went crazing over them.

It's suppose to help you focus especially for ADHD kids but I don't think the study is fully vetted.

It probably will be this generation of snap bracelet.

spikerS
05-24-2017, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Some mom comes up with the design in the 90s, didn't go anywhere, couldn't afford keep paying for the patent, stole by the Chinese and mass produced at low cost.

:rofl:

since when did the chinese care about patents?

Shlade
05-24-2017, 09:56 AM
unreal lol...

Xtrema
05-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by spikerS

since when did the chinese care about patents?

They don't but patented stuff does tend to be harder to reach beyond China.

jwslam
05-24-2017, 10:21 AM
I'm betting everyone who's opposing this sits in meetings on facebook and instagram on their phones.

At least I'm trying to keep my head up and look like I'm listening...

botox
05-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Personally I don't mind if it's out of sight and doesn't look like you are jerking off. It can't be any worse then people playing with their phones or trying to stack markers and learning how to flip/spin their pens dropping it on the table every 10 seconds.

Xtrema
05-24-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm betting everyone who's opposing this sits in meetings on facebook and instagram on their phones.

At least I'm trying to keep my head up and look like I'm listening...

As long as phone on silent, FB and Insta don't make distracting noises.

If a fidget cube doesn't make clicking noises, it's pointless.

EK 2.0
05-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
Here's the original fidget gadget:

http://www.hotdogstohaggis.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/hands_twiddling_thumbs_lg_nwm.gif

That's not what I expected you to post up as a fidget gadget.......

firebane
05-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Fidget Spinner = Fad = Toy

Bring one to a meeting I'm putting on or in and I will ask you to put it away.

Sugarphreak
05-24-2017, 11:19 AM

rage2
05-24-2017, 11:20 AM
I solve my Rubiks Cube in meetings. That's how you can tell I'm old as fuck and not a millennial. :rofl:

speedog
05-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

How big were your pockets?

My first cell phone was actually no more bulkier to carry around than my current S4.

Back on topic, this is really not much different than the recent cellphone in meeting thread. Are you paid to work or fidget/play with cell phobes?

SportEL
05-24-2017, 12:12 PM
These are the ones that came up with the Original Idea that I got for my nephews ---> https://www.antsylabs.com/products/fidget-cube

The big rage now is the Fidget Spinners though. Obviously not as discrete.

A790
05-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Don't take it into the meeting :)

lilmira
05-24-2017, 12:38 PM
The only fidget spinner for business meeting.https://larrylisky.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/hamster-wheel.jpg

ercchry
05-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Just click a pen like a normal annoying person

The_Penguin
05-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

That's not what I expected you to post up as a fidget gadget.......

flipstah
05-24-2017, 12:51 PM
Whatever happened to restless legs? :rofl:

know1edge
05-24-2017, 04:53 PM

revelations
05-24-2017, 05:28 PM
I could see these being very popular at the quarterly, all staff meetings (300 staff) where Enmax CEO would spew for a hour about EBIDTA numbers and performance, in the most monotone voice possible.

carson blocks
05-24-2017, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
Just click a pen like a normal annoying person

I'm a fan of taking the pen apart and putting it back together again until a part is lost.

To the OP, no, don't bring your toys to meetings. Desk toys are fine, but leave your toys at your desk when going to meetings with the grown-ups. Unless you wear a crash helmet when walking around and are a diversity hire, then go nuts little fella.

GenerationX
05-24-2017, 06:02 PM
woops wrong thread. haha

bourge73
05-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

I'm a fan of taking the pen apart and putting it back together again until a part is lost.

To the OP, no, don't bring your toys to meetings. Desk toys are fine, but leave your toys at your desk when going to meetings with the grown-ups. Unless you wear a crash helmet when walking around and are a diversity hire, then go nuts little fella.

:rofl: solid gold

phreezee
05-26-2017, 07:12 PM
http://memestatic.fjcdn.com/pictures/The+original+back+in+my+day+we+didn+t+have+no_b32b84_6270978.jpg

J-hop
05-27-2017, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by speedog

But it's okay to use a phone to surf/email/etc during meetings - there should be a new meeting handbook made up for old fart like me. Too old school I guess - phone goes on silent in pocket anytime during a meeting, start, end and in between unless there's a called break in the meeting. Fidget shit should mean a dry eraser to the noggin - hit the fidgety one hard enough to knock them out and that problem is solved.

I agree. However I'd much rather have people in a meeting on their phones which I can basically tune out than flipping some fidget crap around that is bound to make at least one person ask "what is that" and derail the whole meeting while people investigate and share their stories about their kids buying these and/or their kids school threatening to ban them. Then someone will bring up pogs and it will go downhill from there.

speedog
05-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Pogs?

WTF..

Well I suppose they were probably a thing with some of you.

jwslam
05-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

I agree. However I'd much rather have people in a meeting on their phones which I can basically tune out than flipping some fidget crap around that is bound to make at least one person ask "what is that" and derail the whole meeting while people investigate and share their stories about their kids buying these and/or their kids school threatening to ban them. Then someone will bring up pogs and it will go downhill from there.
My fidgeting under the table, is more distracting than Jenny sharing cute cat pictures she took last night? Or Amy and her puppy pictures?

Maxx Mazda
05-27-2017, 04:22 PM
Grown ass adults talking about bringing a fidget spinner into a meeting?

Jesus fucken Christ...

J-hop
05-27-2017, 05:36 PM
Pogs?

WTF..

Yea when I was 10 though haha.

Anyways OP you sound like you've got some underlying stress/anxiety issues. Getting a fidget would be the equivalent of giving a pen chewer (me) a better pen to chew on. Bandaid fix

Abeo
05-27-2017, 06:29 PM

My fidgeting under the table, is more distracting than Jenny sharing cute cat pictures she took last night? Or Amy and her puppy pictures?

Here is a thought.... do you think justifying your actions by comparing yourself to the worst person in the room and saying "at least I'm not as bad as her" will end well for you?

SKR
05-27-2017, 06:44 PM
Why are you having so many meetings that you need to bring something in to play with?

I'm glad I don't work in an office.

mazdavirgin
05-27-2017, 07:29 PM
Grown ass adults should not be walking around an office making whirring ball bearing noises. Makes them look like idiotic special children.

schurchill39
05-27-2017, 08:48 PM
I can't believe this is a real question. Leave the toys at your desk.

flipstah
05-28-2017, 08:34 AM
Pogs?

WTF..

I loved POGS! I still have my slammer!

Aren't these fidget things for people that have been diagnosed with ADD or something?

firebane
05-28-2017, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

I loved POGS! I still have my slammer!

Aren't these fidget things for people that have been diagnosed with ADD or something?

They were for people who like to "fidget" but we live in a time of fads and the internet got a hold of it and now its something like tickle me elmo

01RedDX
05-28-2017, 11:47 AM

flipstah
05-29-2017, 02:29 PM
Lol

speedog
05-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
http://i.imgur.com/rwmjJBM.jpg

Uh huh, maybe you only stumbled upon this thread because your auto-correct corrected something else you were searching for. You are a very disturbing person, really you are. :D

01RedDX
05-29-2017, 04:16 PM

A790
05-29-2017, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Yeah well the F is really close to the M on the keyboard I'm using so umm yeah...:rofl:
DVORAK?

flipstah
05-29-2017, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by A790

DVORAK?

MIDGET