PDA

View Full Version : 2011-2014 Mustangs, what to look out for?

Sonic
05-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Searching for my next car, BMW 135s, too small, too pretentious, Nissan 370Z, too expensive...now I'm looking at Mustangs.

The V6's starting in 2011 provide decent power and I really like the look of them. This is my first foray into domestics, anything I should look out for? Will most likely buy a 2011 or 2012..

I've read of bad manual trannies, what about the auto tranny?

This will be my daily driver, even in the winter when it's not snowing like crazy, so I'm interested in how good the traction control is too...

Auto repair level is in between beg/intermediate :goflames:

Hallowed_point
05-24-2017, 11:36 AM
2011 + mustangs are pretty awesome cars for the money. I'm not a fan of the solid rear axle setup, but it's about as good as it can be with that arrangement.

The made in China transmissions are apparently junk as you've mentioned. Lot's of owner's with 2nd gear grind in the V8 cars. Not sure about V6.

With decent studded winters, you'll be more than ok in our winters.

NoPulp
05-24-2017, 11:38 AM
I think they're pretty good. The v6s make good power.
Solid rear axle is good, I have the 8.8 in all 3 of my vehicles.
Looks like issues with manual and auto, just like any car if you abuse it it tends to break. I wouldnt be too concerned.
I heard they had issues with the 2piece driveshaft, not sure if that was resolved by ford? Could always swap in a 1 piece.

Not sure how the traction control is, I'm not sure I'd expect much. A mustang would not be my personal choice for a daily.

Also, I'd get a manual. Only thing lamer than a mustang, is an auto mustang :poosie:

G-ZUS
05-24-2017, 11:40 AM
:rofl: you seemed hell bent on a 135

Sonic
05-24-2017, 11:44 AM
I have car A.D.D. lol

Are the autos in the Mustangs that terrible? I mean I get that it's a "sports car"... Mainly looking for a daily driver that looks nice and has some power, not a track car.

Hallowed_point
05-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Do not buy an automatic mustang. Unless you're turning it into a 1/4 beast. A stick shift is going to make it way more fun for daily driving.

NoPulp
05-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Auto mustang = old people, moms, drag racers.
You want a manual.

Also, don't get a convertible. :barf:

Sonic
05-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Hmmmmm considering theyre not shiftable automatics, I guess it makes an even bigger difference...

Btw..NoPulp..I AM old lol I find it a hassle and sometimes my legs hurt

bjstare
05-24-2017, 12:04 PM
Get a v8. Or at least drive both before you make your decision. The v6 doesn't feel any quicker than your g37.

03ozwhip
05-24-2017, 12:05 PM
I'm sure an automatic mustang can be had for pennies on the dollar(joking by still) because everyone who bought one is kicking themselves for buying it and can't sell it.

if you're gonna get a 2011 automatic daily get an LCI N55 335 xdrive. they can be had between 20-25k now. i had one and i loved it. get an alpina trans flash on it and its going to a whole ...nova...lebel

Kloubek
05-24-2017, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
Also, don't get a convertible. :barf:

What's wrong with a 'vert? I love the open air motoring feeling - totally changes the driving experience.

EK 2.0
05-24-2017, 12:07 PM
People....look out for people...

03ozwhip
05-24-2017, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

What's wrong with a 'vert? I love the open air motoring feeling - totally changes the driving experience.

but.....how much hair do you have?:poosie:

Kloubek
05-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

but.....how much hair do you have?:poosie:

Very little. Perhaps that is why. Don't give a shit if people see me as having a middle aged crisis.

Sonic
05-24-2017, 12:13 PM
I'm sure an automatic mustang can be had for pennies on the dollar(joking by still) because everyone who bought one is kicking themselves for buying it and can't sell it.

if you're gonna get a 2011 automatic daily get an LCI N55 335 xdrive. they can be had between 20-25k now. i had one and i loved it. get an alpina trans flash on it and its going to a whole ...nova...lebel

This was actually going to be my next question for advice, what would be the old guy equivalent of a Mustang type car, remember, I'm new to domestics....maybe a Dodge Charger? I hate the old ones though, I like the brand new ones but my budget is around 10-15 grand, what about the Taurus SHO, or is there a Ford Fusion equivalent? Basically I'm exploring American cars, know next to nothing about them...

I don't want anything German, too expensive to buy and even more expensive to fix.

Am I going through a mid life crisis too? fuck it...wish I had $$ for a newer Grand Cherokee SRT8 :(

03ozwhip
05-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Very little. Perhaps that is why. Don't give a shit if people see me as having a middle aged crisis.
but that's a typical vert owner. that or complete opposite. although I do love me a cobra convertible with the roll bar...

03ozwhip
05-24-2017, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Sonic

This was actually going to be my next question for advice, what would be the old guy equivalent of a Mustang type car, remember, I'm new to domestics....maybe a Dodge Charger? I hate the old ones though, I like the brand new ones but my budget is around 10-15 grand, what about the Taurus SHO, or is there a Ford Fusion equivalent? Basically I'm exploring American cars, know next to nothing about them...

I don't want anything German, too expensive to buy and even more expensive to fix.

challenger. I dunno If it were me I wouldn't waste money on a "sports car" daily if it were automatic. I prefer a bit of luxury with a good motor then if it's automatic it doesn't matter because it's technically not a sports car even though you can drive it like one.

Sonic
05-24-2017, 12:25 PM

challenger. I dunno If it were me I wouldn't waste money on a "sports car" daily if it were automatic. I prefer a bit of luxury with a good motor then if it's automatic it doesn't matter because it's technically not a sports car even though you can drive it like one.

Isn't the Challenger the 2 door Dodge sports car? Love the look of those too but the ones with the HEMI are still $$$

03ozwhip
05-24-2017, 12:38 PM

Isn't the Challenger the 2 door Dodge sports car? Love the look of those too but the ones with the HEMI are still $$$
it's closer to the mustang than the charger. the charger is a family sedan. perfectly fine to get in automatic. challenger I wouldn't do it. get a good luxury sedan with a good auto maybe paddle shifters or something. you'll be happier.

03ozwhip
05-24-2017, 12:44 PM
just saw a Hyundai elantra with a 6 speed with 0% financing for 200 a month...lol

Aleks
05-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Hmmmmm considering theyre not shiftable automatics, I guess it makes an even bigger difference...

Btw..NoPulp..I AM old lol I find it a hassle and sometimes my legs hurt

Get the auto Mustang. It sounds like you would regret a manual. Looking at CBB values the autos actually have higher trade in values vs manuals.

ercchry
05-24-2017, 01:02 PM
I had zero trans issues on my V6 manual... and I was NOT nice to that car

Power band is pretty peaky, need to ring it out a bit for power... but that engine with the borla atak... :drool: so much popping and gurgling on downshifts (this alone is worth the manual). stability and traction control work well for winter... but kind of annoying to turn off since you need to be at a dead stop with foot on brake for 7 seconds

The base V6 suspension is way too soft, dangerously soft for any sort of spirited driving, if you even hovered your foot over the brake the weight transfer was so great that it would start to rotate. Good thing the h&r super sport springs are dirt cheap, and super easy to swap on a solid axle

Over all a very well equipped car for the price though, power everything basically and a mechanical LSD.. great fun. Just enough power... but that 180km/h limiter suuuuuucks... but also apparently necessary unless you swap out the driveshaft for something stronger

Ukyo8
05-24-2017, 01:23 PM
I'm amazed we're on the 2nd page of this thread and no one made a Mustang joke considering the title of this thread is "Mustangs, what to look out for?"

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--ZiXLy3F2--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/gneq88fbcujgx6cz79wi.jpg

ercchry
05-24-2017, 01:25 PM
^^^ :dunno:

Originally posted by EK 2.0

Aleks
05-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Ukyo8
I'm amazed we're on the 2nd page of this thread and no one made a Mustang joke considering the title of this thread is "Mustangs, what to look out for?"

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--ZiXLy3F2--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/gneq88fbcujgx6cz79wi.jpg

EK 2.0 did

Originally posted by EK 2.0

Ukyo8
05-24-2017, 01:45 PM
Haha didn't notice :nut:

M.alex
05-24-2017, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
^^^ :dunno:

mustang drivers are assholes looking to run over people with their shitty driving :rofl:

Sonic
05-24-2017, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

mustang drivers are assholes looking to run over people with their shitty driving :rofl:

Not the old guys with automatic V6s who just a want a cooler looking daily driver :D

carson blocks
05-24-2017, 02:13 PM

Not the old guys with automatic V6s who just a want a cooler looking daily driver :D

A V6 auto Mustang is only slightly cooler than taking Calgary Transit.

G-ZUS
05-24-2017, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

A V6 auto Mustang is only slightly cooler than taking Calgary Transit.

:werd:

NoPulp
05-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
A Mustang isn't any cooler than taking Calgary Transit.

Fixed

SkiBum5.0
05-24-2017, 03:26 PM
I'd avoid the auto for all the reasons mentioned, plus all those rental mustangs are out there on the used market with the auto.

Sonic
05-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Good to know thanks for all the info folks...

I already pulled a Mar and bought one... Just kidding.

Stayng away from the autos.

M.alex
05-24-2017, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp

Fixed

unless it's an 03/04 cobra

i have 200k on mine, daily driven, even when it's -50*, and my only maintenance item has been a rear pinion seal. I'm still on the stock clutch even though I'm close to 650hp .... teh cobras can never lose :drool:

Crazyjoker77
05-24-2017, 06:00 PM
I've had both a 12 v6 premium and now have a 14 5.0 track pack not to mention been a whore of all mustang forums for years. They are my daily drivers.

I REALLY liked my 12v6 (3.7L cyclone with 3.33 rear end)

Few points of mine and comments of whats already been said.

Driveshaft- Only A issue on the V6s and even then it takes a tune for it to become a issue. Its the reason the v6s are limited to 135mph ford cheaped out on the DS but at stock it WONT be a issue.

-Dont buy a 11-13 5.0 they have oil consumption issues and like to burn out cylinder #8, Ford fixed this in 14 by removing the offending oil squirters and started using coated pistons. (and the 14s make like 10 more hp)

-v6 suspension is gross like ecchry said that is the first thing that needs to go.

-its the same MT82 (manual tranny) in both the V6 and V8s generally the v6s dont have problems so again its a issue of ford cheaping out. That being said its not a very refined transmission and I find it clunky compared to most cars i drive but there is still no way in hell I would drive a sports car with an automatic.

The v8's really arent that much faster than the v6s. the 3.7l is an all aluminum 60degree v6 which is a hell of alot lighter than the coyote... Power to weight ratio isn't that much off. Most of the track results are heavily skewed because of the 135mph speed limited hurting times on the tracks. Also I have massive wheel spin problems on my 5.0 that didnt exist on the v6 which in street race against myself IM sure i could keep up in the 3.7. You can really feel the weight difference in handling too. 3.7 also can get amazing gas mileage.

Like I said I daily drove both my mustangs and I commute 100km a day they handled winter amazing. I only had the STock all season Pzeros on my v6. I bought some Xi3s for the 14 since it came with summer only tires. All the 11+ mustangs have a real locking rear end which makes a world of difference.

Working in the V6 engine bay was a dream there was so much room around everything. coyote not so much.

Even though I currently own a 14coyote I highly suggest looking at the 3.7 cyclones mustangs.

any more questions ask away there is probably not much I don't know about this gen.

Crazyjoker77
05-24-2017, 06:04 PM
guess i should also state that for canadian market mustangs you get the
2.73 in the base model v6
3.31 in ANY premium model v6(california special, performance pack, pony package)
3.73 as an option on performance pack V6
3.31 in all 5.0 rear ends with 3.73 as an option from the factory.

which rear end it has really changes the car IMO and the 3.31 is a good compromise, get the 2.73 if you do lots of highway and want the best MPG.

My_name_is_Rob
05-24-2017, 07:39 PM
If you are hell bent on getting a V6 auto, why not look at a Camaro? I've driven both the last gen V6 model of Mustang, and Camaro back to back, and they aren't even similar cars in my opinion. Granted they were both convertibles (much better, and I have hair) :poosie:

Pros for the Mustang: It was faster. It had more power. It was Ford. The end. (Drove it for a weekend)

Pros for the Camaro: It had paddle shifters, it had a one hand operated roof (Convertible), much more user friendly audio controls, better steering wheel, more comfortable interior, seemed to handle much better (probably due to the IRS). (Drove it for a week and a half after the mustang)

Hallowed_point
05-25-2017, 07:22 AM
The 5th gen camaro is not nearly as nice of a daily driver imo. It's much larger and has more blind spots. It also hasn't aged well in my opinion. They look like real life hot wheels cars.

Now...if we were talking a 2016+ 6th gen, I'd be totally onboard. A V6 6 speed 2017 Camaro would be a pretty good choice.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-chevrolet-camaro-v-6-1le-first-drive-review (http://)

riander5
05-25-2017, 08:47 AM
If you are hell bent on a v6 get the new camaro. Better performance and looks IMO

I had a 2013 track pack GT (manual)

Miss it every day! Zero problems, Reasonably fast (had a few minor upgrades, but it was faster than a new vette by the time i was done with it)

The toyota 2.5L v6 isnt quite the same :rofl: .....:(

A790
05-25-2017, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by riander5
If you are hell bent on a v6 get the new camaro. Better performance and looks IMO

I had a 2013 track pack GT (manual)

Miss it every day! Zero problems, Reasonably fast (had a few minor upgrades, but it was faster than a new vette by the time i was done with it)

The toyota 2.5L v6 isnt quite the same :rofl: .....:(
Can't see out of a Camaro. Blind spot galore.

Shlade
05-25-2017, 10:07 AM
Camaro sucks hard for blind spots.
V6 mustang sucks.

If it's budget issue just get a 05-09 GT for cheap.

heavyD
05-25-2017, 10:17 AM
I would avoid any 2011 Mustang with the MT-82 like the plague. I was a member of the Mustang community then and it was a nightmare for the 2011 owners whether it be the clutch or transmission as plenty of revisions were done well into 2013. My 2012 GT 6-speed actually worked great in the summer but as soon as temperatures dropped below 10 degrees I would have to 1 - 4 shift all the time until the transmission was warm (I tried three different transmission fluids and had varying success). Got really tiring after a while. 2011 and 2012 GT's had piston oil squirters that were removed in 2013 which alleviated some of the lubrication issues (mine had the engine tick and was using a bit of oil). Also a notorious issue on these cars was the front lower control arm bushings drying out and creaking (I also had this issue). My one year old car sounded like a 20 year old beater going over bumps in the parking lot and when I finally ditched my Mustang (only 18 months after ownership from new) they were on revision F and still couldn't sort them out (they did later with heat shields I believe).

My car was a lemon and the bad part was I had a good one compared to many on the Mustang forums that had all the issues I had but a transmission that was barely drivable. I personally could not recommend a 2011-2012 Mustang to anyone. Loved the car as it was a joy to drive but Ford dropped the ball big time in not doing enough R&D testing on these cars.

carson blocks
05-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by A790

Can't see out of a Camaro. Blind spot galore.

They've been like that for years. The lack of ability to shoulder-check isn't a concern for the target demographic.

Hallowed_point
05-25-2017, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
Camaro sucks hard for blind spots.
V6 mustang sucks.

If it's budget issue just get a 05-09 GT for cheap.

I don't agree with you on that. How does the newer 305 hp 3.7 L V6 mustang suck? They are as fast as the 05-09 GT (more or less) and are better on gas etc. I agree that the boat anchor 210 hp 4.0 V6 sucks. I would for sure buy a 3.7 over a 3v 4.6 05-09 GT. Those are really unimpressive for a V8 car in terms of power output.

Shlade
05-25-2017, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

I don't agree with you on that. How does the newer 305 hp 3.7 L V6 mustang suck? They are as fast as the 05-09 GT (more or less) and are better on gas etc. I agree that the boat anchor 210 hp 4.0 V6 sucks. I would for sure buy a 3.7 over a 3v 4.6 05-09 GT. Those are really unimpressive for a V8 car in terms of power output.

Pull out the balls from your vagina and you have your answer. There's nothing gayer than the annoying sound a v6 mustang makes with any exhaust ever.

Sonic
05-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Wow page 3 already...haha

Great advice, thanks all!

Enough though, to scare me away from domestics, at my age, I think I'll just stick to Japanese sports sedans.

Still love my G37x, but some days I just have an urge to own one of these cars, always loved the look of muscle cars in general. Been watching too much Hawaii 5-0, I do plan to retire in Hawaii and perhaps maybe own a '65 Mustang. :thumbsup:

Hallowed_point
05-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Pull out the balls from your vagina and you have your answer. There's nothing gayer than the annoying sound a v6 mustang makes with any exhaust ever. Dude...I love V8 cars probably as much as you do. But modern V6's really kick ass, and also sound great. And I call bs on that, borla's or magnaflow's on a 3.7 V6 sounds almost exotic. I lost any respect I had for 4.6 3V V8 mustangs when I left one in the dust the other day. If you have a loud v8 mustang , it had better be able to move. Otherwise it's a poser mobile.

That said, I would still not recommend buying a ford based on my mustang experiences. Total money pit. They don't say Fix Or Repair Daily for nothing :eek:

OP, you'd be wise to stick with your Infiniti. I love American Muscle, but they do not make nice daily drivers in Calgary. And the upkeep can really drain your wallet and kill the fun.

NoPulp
05-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Pull out the balls from your vagina and you have your answer. There's nothing gayer than the annoying sound a v6 mustang makes with any exhaust ever.

My v6 mustang sounds better than my v8 mustang :nut: :dunno:

ercchry
05-25-2017, 12:48 PM
It's not a muscle sound... but it's really a great noise, even let a friend drive it once who was 110% a domestic (especially mustang) hater... and he had to admit... it sounded good

A3-9N4mT3TQ

heavyD
05-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Wow page 3 already...haha

Great advice, thanks all!

Enough though, to scare me away from domestics, at my age, I think I'll just stick to Japanese sports sedans.

Still love my G37x, but some days I just have an urge to own one of these cars, always loved the look of muscle cars in general. Been watching too much Hawaii 5-0, I do plan to retire in Hawaii and perhaps maybe own a '65 Mustang. :thumbsup:

I think they are more reliable in the 2013 and up years. I will say that you will be hard pressed to find a more fun car for hooning around in than a Mustang GT. As many problems as I had it was still much more fun than other cars I have owned like EVO X, STI, Golf R, etc. I plan to own one again one day for sure.