PDA

View Full Version : Vivint Home Security

Pages : [1] 2

dj_rice
05-24-2017, 10:39 PM
Hi Folks

My 42 month contract with Vivint ended back in July and I've been on a month to month basis. Will be calling them and seeing if I can re-negiotiate some free items as leverage to re-sign so looking on what plans everyone has, what your paying and what is included in your plans and maybe when you signed up to gauge if everyones getting all the new items free. Looking to score a door bell camera, outdoor camera and maybe a keyfob and updated control panel.

Thanks in advance everyone

I have the Home Security Package. Paying $49.99/month
Still have old GoControl panel ( I believe all new accounts now have the Go Sky Control panel)
Smoke Alarm/Carbon Monoxide Detector
Garage Door Tilt Sensor
2 Motion Sensors
3 Door Sensors

Maxx Mazda
05-25-2017, 06:00 AM
I don't have home security, but Jesus! $50/mo seems pretty steep!

riced
05-25-2017, 07:22 AM
Signed up 2 years ago. Paying $50/month.

Got the new SkyPanel
Doorbell Camera
Indoor Camera
Indoor sensor
Smoke Alarm/Carbon Monoxide Detector
2 door sensors
3 basement window sensors

03ozwhip
05-25-2017, 07:40 AM
man I pay 70 a month for 3 cameras and sensors on all the windows needed main floor and bbasemebt(walkout)and a sky panel lol that's steep.

dj_rice
05-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by riced
Signed up 2 years ago. Paying $50/month.

Got the new SkyPanel
Doorbell Camera
Indoor Camera

Exactly the options I'm looking for and since your payment is just like mine, it can be done then.

Indoor sensor (Whats this? Motion sensor?)

BavarianBeast
05-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Alarm.com

Then you can pick cheapest provider

roopi
05-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Alarm.com

Then you can pick cheapest provider

When I fill out my postal code it just asks for your contact information so the alarm companies can call you. :thumbsdow

BokCh0y
05-25-2017, 10:56 AM
I've renegotiated many times. Currently paying $39/month + tax on a 2 year term. And each time I called they lowered my monthly cost because I told them the hardware is already paid for, I'm not paying you guys $49/month anymore. And they also gave me free upgrades for renewing but on a shorter term.

So last time I got the keyless entry keypad thing, a unit that turns on/off a lamp or something, and a free inside camera. Ghe guy said he only out me on a 2 year term because that way I can call back for renewal in 2 years and get the doorbell camera and outside camera for free. Those had just come out at the time and he couldn't get me a deal on them.

But thanks for this reminder, I think I'm close to my 2 years being up now anyway hah.

dj_rice
05-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
I've renegotiated many times. Currently paying $39/month + tax on a 2 year term. And each time I called they lowered my monthly cost because I told them the hardware is already paid for, I'm not paying you guys $49/month anymore. And they also gave me free upgrades for renewing but on a shorter term.

So last time I got the keyless entry keypad thing, a unit that turns on/off a lamp or something, and a free inside camera. Ghe guy said he only out me on a 2 year term because that way I can call back for renewal in 2 years and get the doorbell camera and outside camera for free. Those had just come out at the time and he couldn't get me a deal on them.

But thanks for this reminder, I think I'm close to my 2 years being up now anyway hah.

Do you call the Customer Loyalty Dept or just the reg CS

BokCh0y
05-25-2017, 03:30 PM
I jsut call the main CS number and talk to them about it, not sure if they have an actual loyalty department but the peeps on the cs number usually just help me.

The main thing....emphasize to them that the hardware is already paid for, you ain't paying $49/month anymore.

Skyline_Addict
05-25-2017, 04:13 PM
Price aside, how happy are you guys with the product / service?

Seriously considering home security right now and the other options are DIY and Rogers (I've been with Rogers wireless for like 15 years, so I'm guessing I can get some sort of deal).

Thoughts?

crusher777
05-25-2017, 05:14 PM
I just got Rogers, paying $40 per month for 2 years includes
touch screen panel
2 motion sensors
4 door sensors
outdoor and indoor camera
weiser smart 10 touch screen electronic deadbolt
1 smart lightbulb

BokCh0y
05-25-2017, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
Price aside, how happy are you guys with the product / service?

Seriously considering home security right now and the other options are DIY and Rogers (I've been with Rogers wireless for like 15 years, so I'm guessing I can get some sort of deal).

Thoughts?

I've been extremely happy with their service, the features, the system. Long enough i've been with them for 6 years now I think.

HomespunLobster
05-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Personally I had a problem with Vivint. I felt the package wasn't terrible. I had problems with the camera in the garage which would randomly flicker and cause me to get a warning of movement in the garage. Also my doorbell camera never worked proper.

Within the first 10 days of being able to return it. I asked for service, they sent the same tech who installed who put in 'boosters' which did nothing. I then requested a different tech to come out, and i waited around for a 10AM service, which the same tech called me at 1030 saying there was nothing he could do. I ripped out the entire system myself and boxed it back up for the guy to pick up. At that point found out i was billed for equipment which was never installed (Because they name the equipment in serial numbers and not names).

I went with my own home automation and just set up my own equipment with no issues.

dj_rice
05-25-2017, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

I've been extremely happy with their service, the features, the system. Long enough i've been with them for 6 years now I think.

Same here. Pricey a little yes. If I had option I would of went United Alarm but thats local Calgary only. So this was next best option for me.

I mainly like them for their customer service. Any time I've had issues, I call them up and never been on hold for longer than 30 secs-1 min and their CS are so helpful and nice. They seem to really love their job and it reflects onto the Service they give their customers. I've also requested window decals, lawn signs, lawn sign LED lights many times over the years and they just send out next day on FedEx no questions and free of charges.

riced
05-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Exactly the options I'm looking for and since your payment is just like mine, it can be done then.

Indoor sensor (Whats this? Motion sensor?)

Yes, sorry motion sensor. :)

riced
05-26-2017, 01:42 PM

Same here. Pricey a little yes. If I had option I would of went United Alarm but thats local Calgary only. So this was next best option for me.

I mainly like them for their customer service. Any time I've had issues, I call them up and never been on hold for longer than 30 secs-1 min and their CS are so helpful and nice. They seem to really love their job and it reflects onto the Service they give their customers. I've also requested window decals, lawn signs, lawn sign LED lights many times over the years and they just send out next day on FedEx no questions and free of charges.

^ this.
I've had nothing but good experiences with them - every time I had an issue, if they couldn't resolve over the phone - they either had a tech come out within a few hours or the next day.

After upgrading to Shaw 150 and the new modem, SkyPanel stopped connecting. They sent a tech out to install a new router to work with it the next day.

I did even get the chance to experience a false "break in" alarm.
Something triggered the alarm literally minutes after leaving. (Must have been a shadow or something coming through the window or something). Seconds after getting the notification on my phone, I also had Vivint call me asking if everything was OK. Told them we literally just left so I was going to turn around and check. They said they would wait on the line while I checked and if anything happened, they would dispatch 911 immediately.
While checking the house, they were talking to me and asking for continuous updates and for me to keep talking so that they knew nothing was wrong.

Quite a scare checking your own house for potential danger but the way they handled the alarm and all else was enough to win me over. One major advantage over "self-monitoring" I suppose.

997TT
05-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Found this post before calling Vivint. My 42 month just expired.

Called them and they lowered to $34.95 on a 36 month contract. Gave me doorbell (which wife wanted)and upgrade to sky view panel for $160 (said it was $660 for both incl install and most he could give me was$500 off).

Not the best deal ... tried to get equipment free but guy wouldn't budge and I wasn't really looking to quit to begin with. Just wanted a better deal.

I realize the $160 will take me a yr worth of saving $15/month to pay off but oh well.

dj_rice
05-27-2017, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by 997TT

Called them and they lowered to $34.95 on a 36 month contract. Gave me doorbell (which wife wanted)and upgrade to sky view panel for $160 (said it was $660 for both incl install and most he could give me was$500 off).

Not the best deal ... tried to get equipment free but guy wouldn't budge and I wasn't really looking to quit to begin with. Just wanted a better deal.

I realize the $160 will take me a yr worth of saving $15/month to pay off but oh well.

You have to threaten to quit and play hardball to get stuff. If they don't give me a good deal. Hang up. Try again with a different CSR till I get what I want.

As for the Skyview Panel, pretty sure its free with all the new people signing up and same goes for install, I've seen numerous free install advertisements.

turbotrip
05-28-2017, 05:07 AM
I got a alarm system installed by VoxCOM and the monitoring contract ran out a few years ago. Recently one of the door chime sensors stopped working. What would be the best way to get that fixed without paying something crazy?

BokCh0y
05-28-2017, 01:00 PM

You have to threaten to quit and play hardball to get stuff. If they don't give me a good deal. Hang up. Try again with a different CSR till I get what I want.

As for the Skyview Panel, pretty sure its free with all the new people signing up and same goes for install, I've seen numerous free install advertisements.

I was told the skyview panel is free with a new contract for those who will be paying full price. For the rest of us who are looking for upgrades, either we pay the full monthly price or we pay the difference with a huge discount like 997TT did.

Skyline_Addict
06-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Just spoke to a Vivint sales rep on the phone.

The way they are pricing the service is:

1) $49.99/month is the standard service/monitoring fee
2) plus an additional $X/month for the equipment on a 60 month term or pay the full equipment cost up front. my understanding is the equipment portion of the payment is separated from the service portion, so you are not locked in a term contract for the service portion.

They say it is 0% financing on the equipment, but didn't offer any incentive for paying the equipment cost in full up front.

Based on previous posts, there is not much talk about equipment costs; they are sort of significant on my quote. All I see are posts about monthly costs, longer contract terms and even some free equipment thrown in. The rep mentioned their business model changed earlier this year to what I explained above.

So, with that being said, what did you guys pay for your upfront equipment costs? Or how were these built into your monthly cost and contract terms? I am probably not going to get all the equipment on my quote as I just wanted to see the pricing, but here it is ("free install"):

Vivint SkyControl Starter Kit 1 $549.99

Vivint Motion Sensor 1 $0.00

Vivint Smart Sensor 2 $0.00

Vivint Yard Sign 1 $0.00

Vivint Outdoor Camera 3 $899.97

Vivint Smart Drive 1 $249.99

Doorbell Camera 1 $229.99

Deadbolt Door Lock - Nickel 1 $159.99

Element Thermostat 1 $149.99

Smart Garage Controller 1 $99.99

Total 17 $2,339.91

Based on the previous posts in this thread, this doesn't seem like a great deal unless you guys are inadvertently leaving out info about your overall equipment costs, upfront or aggregate.
I also feel that there should be further negotiating room on the equipment costs, especially if paying up front. Like 20% off the cost, or a lower monthly service/monitoring fee.

Thoughts?

Darell_n
06-02-2017, 06:40 PM
You can buy the SkyControl panel and shop online/install yourself all the sensors/cameras/door locks yourself. Anything z-wave is plug and play.

dj_rice
06-02-2017, 10:25 PM
For mine, I paid $99 activation fee only and $50 extra for the garage door tilt sensor since it was an add-on and not included in my 9 points alarm system. Everything else was included in the "free install". They used a points system back then, each door sensor 1 point, garage tilt was 2 points etc etc. 9 points was the included basic plan.

I looked at my contract and it says 42 month contract, I would of paid $3,317.58 for all services when contract ends.

Impreza
10-13-2017, 02:30 PM
BUMP!

I'm looking at Vivint as well. dj_rice, how much was your monthly cost including the cost of equipment? or was that included with in your monthly cost of $49.99/month?

dj_rice
10-13-2017, 10:02 PM
BUMP!

I'm looking at Vivint as well. dj_rice, how much was your monthly cost including the cost of equipment? or was that included with in your monthly cost of $49.99/month?

Monthly cost $49.99

Install Free

Equipment I have

Go Control Panel
3 Door Sensors
2 Motion Sensors. Main and basement
1 Garage Door Tilt Sensor (only paid $50 upgrade for this)
1 Smoke/Carbon/Freeze Sensor

When I originally signed up, all equipment was free/based on points system.

Seeing as all the new systems now offer the new Sky Control Panel and Door Bell Camera/Outdoor camera (included free in new signups), if they won't offer it to me as I'm already a year over my 42 month contract that ended, I'll be cancelling. They were only willing to give me the Sky Control panel for $30 and the door bell cam for $260.

ShermanEF9
10-13-2017, 11:46 PM
$49.99 is downright brutal for monitoring fees. vivint is making a killing on that alone.

dj_rice
03-16-2018, 03:48 PM

Just to bump this since I didn't get around to calling them till now. This is exactly what he offered. Said he can give me the Sky Control panel free, but the door bell camera, I'd have to pay $150 for. Said it was $600+ and that hes giving me $500 off as well. I didn't get any lower monthly payment thing though. I said put a note on my file about this offer and I'll call Alarmforce to compare pricing. He did say, $500 is the most his dept can offer, and that if I call back with a competing offer, they might be able to do better but that it would be another dept taking that call and they might have the power to do more discounts.

Mitsu3000gt
03-18-2018, 10:15 PM
So what actually happens when the alarm goes off, and it isn't deactivated or they call you and you don't answer? Are police dispatched ASAP or is there a 10-30min window or whatever it is where it's pointless to even have the system and the sound of the alarm is the sole deterrent? My assumption has really been that police response times to home security systems are pretty much last priority, but I really don't know for sure.

dj_rice
03-19-2018, 05:32 AM
So what actually happens when the alarm goes off, and it isn't deactivated or they call you and you don't answer? Are police dispatched ASAP or is there a 10-30min window or whatever it is where it's pointless to even have the system and the sound of the alarm is the sole deterrent? My assumption has really been that police response times to home security systems are pretty much last priority, but I really don't know for sure.

In my case, I had armed my alarm, left for work, and when I was leaving my house, I guess I tapped my garage door open and set off my alarm. They had tried calling my cell, I didn't answer. Then they tried calling my emergency contact. She didnt answer. So they dispatch a guard from the local Paladin Security company to come to your house and take a look. They finally got a hold of me, and I headed back home, the guard was waiting there for me. $75 charge

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2018, 11:01 AM
In my case, I had armed my alarm, left for work, and when I was leaving my house, I guess I tapped my garage door open and set off my alarm. They had tried calling my cell, I didn't answer. Then they tried calling my emergency contact. She didnt answer. So they dispatch a guard from the local Paladin Security company to come to your house and take a look. They finally got a hold of me, and I headed back home, the guard was waiting there for me. $75 charge

Ohh so they use companies like Paladin? Do any of them actually call the police or someone who will do something if there is a crime taking place? I feel like that's pretty useless, $75 for the equivalent of asking your neighbor to check on the place.

And what if your emergency contact answers? Do they wait for them to go check out your place long after it's already been cleaned out?

Is Alarm Force the one that actually calls the police for you or are they all the same?

A family member's house got robbed recently which is why I am so curious.

SOAB
03-19-2018, 11:34 AM
back when i had Vivint, i was out with my wife having dinner and i received a call from them telling me my alarm was going off. i told them i wasn't home and hadn't been home in a few hours so they sent the police over to my house. i met the cops there and it turned out a windstorm and blown open a window that wasn't quite latched shut. cops cleared the house and i wasn't charged for it.

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2018, 11:42 AM
back when i had Vivint, i was out with my wife having dinner and i received a call from them telling me my alarm was going off. i told them i wasn't home and hadn't been home in a few hours so they sent the police over to my house. i met the cops there and it turned out a windstorm and blown open a window that wasn't quite latched shut. cops cleared the house and i wasn't charged for it.

That is how I expected them to work. Real police, house clear & no-charge seems way better than $75 for a rent-a-cop to drive by.

Kijho
05-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Anyone recently join? Monthly price? I'm interested but not sure how I feel about a 2 year contract.. Anyone know what happens if you wanna cancel before the 2 years?

ShermanEF9
05-01-2018, 06:36 PM
Just spoke to a Vivint sales rep on the phone.

The way they are pricing the service is:

1) $49.99/month is the standard service/monitoring fee
2) plus an additional $X/month for the equipment on a 60 month term or pay the full equipment cost up front. my understanding is the equipment portion of the payment is separated from the service portion, so you are not locked in a term contract for the service portion.

They say it is 0% financing on the equipment, but didn't offer any incentive for paying the equipment cost in full up front.

Based on previous posts, there is not much talk about equipment costs; they are sort of significant on my quote. All I see are posts about monthly costs, longer contract terms and even some free equipment thrown in. The rep mentioned their business model changed earlier this year to what I explained above.

So, with that being said, what did you guys pay for your upfront equipment costs? Or how were these built into your monthly cost and contract terms? I am probably not going to get all the equipment on my quote as I just wanted to see the pricing, but here it is ("free install"):

Vivint SkyControl Starter Kit 1 $549.99

Vivint Smart Sensor 2 $0.00

Vivint Yard Sign 1 $0.00

Vivint Outdoor Camera 3 $899.97

Vivint Smart Drive 1 $249.99

Doorbell Camera 1 $229.99

Deadbolt Door Lock - Nickel 1 $159.99

Element Thermostat 1 $149.99

Smart Garage Controller 1 $99.99

Total 17 $2,339.91

Based on the previous posts in this thread, this doesn't seem like a great deal unless you guys are inadvertently leaving out info about your overall equipment costs, upfront or aggregate.
I also feel that there should be further negotiating room on the equipment costs, especially if paying up front. Like 20% off the cost, or a lower monthly service/monitoring fee.

Thoughts?

That kind of money could buy you an excellent intrusion and camera system, and probably find another company to monitor it for much cheaper.

shadowz
05-02-2018, 02:39 PM
Anyone recently join? Monthly price? I'm interested but not sure how I feel about a 2 year contract.. Anyone know what happens if you wanna cancel before the 2 years?

With the contract you must pay each month owning if you want to cancel

Kijho
05-03-2018, 07:05 AM
With the contract you must pay each month owning if you want to cancel

Just signed up last night actually! So my monthly "monitoring" is $39/Mo. and the "equipment" is + $15/Mo. I got the Skyview Panel, door sensors on garage entrance door, front door, and balcony door, and then window sensors on the bottom level window, and then also a motion sensor for in the Garage, and the doorbell camera ofcourse. The Garage has a window so I am going to have to see how they set that up to avoid potential false alarms of someone driving past outside.

Total equipment buyout fee is $919. So I asked: what if I want to "cancel" today? The contract says you just pay the remaining balance owing on the equipment ($919), and that's it. It's cancelled.

I asked if it can be transferred/ sold to someone else? Answer was yes.

I asked what happens if tomorrow I pay the equipment remaining balance out of $919? They said I just pay the $39/Mo. monitoring fee after that. No term of contract on that. You have 60 months 0% to pay off the equipment which is the $15/Mo. portion. That number goes up/ down depending on your equipment. I checked pricing if I added an extra security camera in the Garage and it was then a total of $70/Mo. total.

I asked if I can add third party cameras into the software - Answer no.

I asked if someone breaks in what happens - They explained someone will come on the skyview panel to see if it's false alarm and then if not, dispatch Police.

I asked if there's a fire what happens - They explained again they'll check with your on the skyview panel, then send fire dept.

Ohh I got a leak/ water sensor too which I think added to my price just slightly. I wanted something near the aquarium if it ever had a major malfunction and overflowed/ broke/ etc.

Overall I compared against ADT on similar items and price and actually ADT on the phone said this would be about $50/Mo. But, I imagine that would end up being slightly higher once they do it and everything is setup - So really, it's very comparable.

Is the $919 a bit expensive for the type of equipment you get? Maybe so. You can setup your own sensors, cameras, and get a Ring doorbell etc. for cheaper than that. You can probably find equipment that can all integrate with google home or something similar on your phone. But not sure if it has 24/7 "security".

bigbadboss101
05-03-2018, 07:10 AM
That make sense. You are not 'hooked' to the monitoring but you are paying for the costs of the equipment over X number of months. Once contract is over and you paid for the equipment you can cancel. Good chance they will lower the cost for you to keep you. At least that is with some other security company from friends I talked to.

Kijho
05-03-2018, 07:35 AM
The only thing I'm thinking of maybe changing I'm not sure though is the Garage sensor. It's a motion sensor so I have to disarm the alarm from my phone before I open the Garage door when I get home. I asked if the app had any form of proximity sensor that could disarm when I approach - but it does not unfortunately. If I forget my phone or something though I would need to open Garage, park, run inside, upstairs, and disarm from the keypad, which doesn't sound fun haha..

Alternately, I could NOT monitor the Garage and then buy the deadbolt automatic lock which when unlocked, also disarms the system... But then I have zero sensors in the Garage at all. I'm not sure how else you can incorporate the Garage into the system except these two ways, unless you just want a camera in there but that doesn't do much in terms of alarm/ security.

CLiVE
05-03-2018, 10:52 AM
I asked if someone breaks in what happens - They explained someone will come on the skyview panel to see if it's false alarm and then if not, dispatch Police.

I'm a vivint customer and had a break-in recently (February). This is how it works in theory, but there was a lot of confusion as to whether or not it was a false alarm and they were very slow to dispatch.
I ended up activating panic mode from my smart phone from work and dispatched the police myself. I was not happy with Vivint customer service in the event of a break-in at all, and will likely change providers.

As for the Vivint hardware. I would strongly recommend against the standard Vivint locksets. Convenient - yes. Secure - no. A crowbar was used on my front door, and then it was kicked in in the middle of the afternoon. The light duty locks / deadbolts they provide did nothing to prevent entry. Pics attached. All the vivint hardware has since been removed and significantly upgraded.

Kijho
05-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Damn that's crazy! Thanks for the feedback on it! I did not go with their hardware.

Did your alarm siren go off when the person broke in? I presume it didn't deter them, then? Did they still steal things?

spike98
05-03-2018, 11:06 AM
That make sense. You are not 'hooked' to the monitoring but you are paying for the costs of the equipment over X number of months. Once contract is over and you paid for the equipment you can cancel. Good chance they will lower the cost for you to keep you. At least that is with some other security company from friends I talked to.

I will find out shortly as my 3 year contract is coming over in July. Unless its a steal of a deal will be cancelling for sure. The Skyview Panel sucks and vivint support is shit. I dont like have to pay the full $70 a month just to be able to unlock and lock remotely through their system.

As for the Vivint hardware. I would strongly recommend against the standard Vivint locksets. Convenient - yes. Secure - no. A crowbar was used on my front door, and then it was kicked in in the middle of the afternoon. The light duty locks / deadbolts they provide did nothing to prevent entry. Pics attached. All the vivint hardware has since been removed and significantly upgraded.

Yea vivint has nothing to do with that. 99% of all consumer grade locks in residential installation are not going to prevent you from a crowbar or a boot.

Mitsu3000gt
05-03-2018, 11:08 AM
No normal door & related hardware will prevent someone with a crow bar and time to feed it some good kicks from getting in. It's VERY easy to kick in most doors. Something will fail (often it's the door trim itself because short/decorative screws are used that don't go into the frame and an 80lb meth head could kick through in 2 kicks). All you can really do is make it so it takes the thief longer, and hope in that time they either give up or someone sees it and calls the police. Most electric locks are garbage, get something like Mul-T-Locks with the steel cups and ball bearings. Put 3.5" screws through all your door hardware and plates into the frame. If you have a window next to your door, you can put a rig on your deadbolt so they can't reach in and open it or you can put 3M anti shatter film on the window. Even with all that, you will only slow them down another minute or two, especially if they have a crow bar.

How was there confusion with Vivint? Don't they speak through the panel and if the person doesn't immediate give a password, call the police? Not that it really matters either way I guess, most thieves aren't in the house more than 2-5 mins (quick check for small valuables, cash, booze, pills, jewelry, toss it all in a pillow case, and off they go) and will be LONG gone before police arrive.

CLiVE
05-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Damn that's crazy! Thanks for the feedback on it! I did not go with their hardware.

Did your alarm siren go off when the person broke in? I presume it didn't deter them, then? Did they still steal things?

Yes - alarm went off. Operator came on the panel (I assume), then they called and asked permission to dispatch (slow), then ultimately I dispatched with the panic alarm myself from my phone.
Alarm siren, 7 cameras, and dogs. Nothing deterred them. This was at ~2pm in the afternoon on a busy street.

The ONLY thing the alarm did (which is still a plus) is make the the thieves hurry. Straight to the master bedroom where they targeted jewelry, then downstairs to the office where they grabbed laptops.
In and out, before the police arrived or were likely even dispatched. ~$20k total loss, plus damage to the door/locks. Just stuff though...

I have upgraded to the Mul-T-Locks (as mentioned above) and would recommend everyone install a bolt buddy or similar to help prevent the door itself from splintering.

Kijho
05-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Yes - alarm went off. Operator came on the panel (I assume), then they called and asked permission to dispatch (slow), then ultimately I dispatched with the panic alarm myself from my phone.
Alarm siren, 7 cameras, and dogs. Nothing deterred them. This was at ~2pm in the afternoon on a busy street.

The ONLY thing the alarm did (which is still a plus) is make the the thieves hurry. Straight to the master bedroom where they targeted jewelry, then downstairs to the office where they grabbed laptops.
In and out, before the police arrived or were likely even dispatched. ~$20k total loss, plus damage to the door/locks. Just stuff though...

Damn.. And none of your camera's notified you kind of I guess simultaneously? I presume you didn't have any footage of them, getaway vehicle, doorbell camera of their face, etc??

- - - Updated - - -

What are other alarm companies like such as ADT in terms of their responses to a break in like this? Same scenario? Try to contact you, then ultimately dispatch Police?

Mitsu3000gt
05-03-2018, 11:13 AM
So what happens after a break in with insurance? Do they just take your word for the stuff you lost, or are you SOL for everything you don't have photos, appraisals, receipts, and serial numbers for? Especially with old, valuable jewelry I imagine they don't just take you word for it's value but I have no idea.

CLiVE
05-03-2018, 11:15 AM
No normal door & related hardware will prevent someone with a crow bar and time to feed it some good kicks from getting in. It's VERY easy to kick in most doors. Something will fail (often it's the door trim itself because short/decorative screws are used that don't go into the frame and an 80lb meth head could kick through in 2 kicks). All you can really do is make it so it takes the thief longer, and hope in that time they either give up or someone sees it and calls the police. Most electric locks are garbage, get something like Mul-T-Locks with the steel cups and ball bearings. Put 3.5" screws through all your door hardware and plates into the frame. If you have a window next to your door, you can put a rig on your deadbolt so they can't reach in and open it or you can put 3M anti shatter film on the window. Even with all that, you will only slow them down another minute or two, especially if they have a crow bar.

How was there confusion with Vivint? Don't they speak through the panel and if the person doesn't immediate give a password, call the police? Not that it really matters either way I guess, most thieves aren't in the house more than 2-5 mins (quick check for small valuables, cash, booze, pills, jewelry, toss it all in a pillow case, and off they go) and will be LONG gone before police arrive.

This - it doesn't matter. They will be in an out. The only thing the alarm does it make them hurry.
After no one responded on the panel they called me. After a series of questions the asked whether or not to dispatch. They stumbled on exactly which sensor was going off, etc. Really wasn't impressed. But like you said - really doesn't matter.
They stole a pillow case, put everything in and were gone.

Mitsu3000gt
05-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Damn.. And none of your camera's notified you kind of I guess simultaneously? I presume you didn't have any footage of them, getaway vehicle, doorbell camera of their face, etc??

- - - Updated - - -

What are other alarm companies like such as ADT in terms of their responses to a break in like this? Same scenario? Try to contact you, then ultimately dispatch Police?

No alarm company will dispatch police instantly without checking anything, and even if they did, CPS response time is not 2 minutes, so they are pretty much useless. As mentioned it might make them rush a bit, but they are still going to hit all your valuables unless you don't keep anything in normal places. They check the freezer often too because people think they are sneaky and it's an extremely common place to store cash.

CLiVE
05-03-2018, 11:19 AM
So what happens after a break in with insurance? Do they just take your word for the stuff you lost, or are you SOL for everything you don't have photos, appraisals, receipts, and serial numbers for? Especially with old, valuable jewelry I imagine they don't just take you word for it's value but I have no idea.

They take your word for what you lost, and give you time to describe everything in a list and document the approximate values. You will then be assigned a case specialist and a preferred vendor (jewelry store) to further document values and source replacements (like wedding rings in our case). Now - depending on your policy you will be given 2 values. Replacement value, and 'cash value'. If you choose to replace things you can go ahead and purchase similar items, (or an item equivalent to the total loss value of combined items and you will be reimbursed.) If you choose not to replace, your items will be assigned a depreciated value (on vintage pieces it is VERY low) of cash in lieu of replacement.

CLiVE
05-03-2018, 11:23 AM
No alarm company will dispatch police instantly without checking anything, and even if they did, CPS response time is not 2 minutes, so they are pretty much useless. As mentioned it might make them rush a bit, but they are still going to hit all your valuables unless you don't keep anything in normal places. They check the freezer often too because people think they are sneaky and it's an extremely common place to store cash.

With Vivint - the customer rep on the phone just seemed so confused as to procedure. Which could just be the luck of the draw....

Exactly. The police were probably there within a 1/2hr after the break-in. Depends on proximity, other calls, etc.
No one was injured and it is really just to document the break-in and take finger prints, collect video, etc. They were very professional.

I'm also not one to waste police resources on what was a minor loss with no injuries. All good.

Mitsu3000gt
05-03-2018, 11:25 AM
They take your word for what you lost, and give you time to describe everything in a list and document the approximate values. You will then be assigned a case specialist and a preferred vendor (jewelry store) to further document values and source replacements (like wedding rings in our case). Now - depending on your policy you will be given 2 values. Replacement value, and 'cash value'. If you choose to replace things you can go ahead and purchase similar items, (or an item equivalent to the total loss value of combined items and you will be reimbursed.) If you choose not to replace, your items will be assigned a depreciated value (on vintage pieces it is VERY low) of cash in lieu of replacement.

Interesting - so how is fraud in these cases not wildly rampant? You could say you lost thousands and thousands more than you did in electronics, jewelry, etc. and there would be zero chance of anyone ever finding out.

Also you could take the replacement item and sell it as new rather than taking their depreciated cash value and come out way ahead, if I understand that correctly.

Sorry this happened to you, we had a family member's house get broken into recently as well and it's not a nice feeling, very violating.

CLiVE
05-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Interesting - so how is fraud in these cases not wildly rampant? You could say you lost thousands and thousands more than you did in electronics, jewelry, etc. and there would be zero chance of anyone ever finding out.

Also you could take the replacement item and sell it as new rather than taking their depreciated cash value and come out way ahead, if I understand that correctly.

Sorry this happened to you, we had a family member's house get broken into recently as well and it's not a nice feeling, very violating.

I agree with you - plus you would be amazed how difficult it is to remember what you had stored in a drawer, on top of a dresser etc. I'm sure we ended up under-claiming. I'm sure false claims do happen, but personally I really don't think it is worth the potential ramifications.

I did actually ask the jewelry provider that exact question. So what's to stop me from taking the replacement item to kijiji or similar. He said - we get that question often and have had many clients do that. lol
Seems like a flawed process to me having gone through it, but that continues to be the way it works.

The worst part of it isn't the loss, its the violating sense of intrusion as mentioned. One of my kids was quite disturbed by it, and I had trouble sleeping and was hesitant to leave the house for a few days.

...and sorry for the thread hijack on Vivint. Just wanted to give people a heads up on my experience with their hardware. Everyone is right though, most residential grade products to very little to protect your house but the dispatch potential should make them hurry and therefore limit your loss. Point is - if someone wants in, they will get in.

Kijho
05-03-2018, 11:38 AM
I wonder how it might be if you are infact in your home and you're sleeping, someone breaks in alarm goes off and you just dial 911, maybe they come faster since you're in the house / potentially at risk?

bigbadboss101
05-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Sorry to hear of this incident. Hopefully things taken are replaceable and nothing of sentimental value were taken!

I guess most thieves would grab the smaller electronics in the living room and jewelry in the bedrooms. Makes me wonder if we should put valuables in the bathroom under pieces of clothing that they wouldn't want to touch!? Will look into beefing up the locks and doors!

Mitsu3000gt
05-03-2018, 11:59 AM
I wonder how it might be if you are infact in your home and you're sleeping, someone breaks in alarm goes off and you just dial 911, maybe they come faster since you're in the house / potentially at risk?

Most likely the thief would GTFO if he found out you were home (thats why all these break ins happen mid day when they think you're at work rather than at night), but either way police response time wouldn't be nearly fast enough to stop either the theft or subsequent violence after surprising the thief.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you - plus you would be amazed how difficult it is to remember what you had stored in a drawer, on top of a dresser etc. I'm sure we ended up under-claiming. I'm sure false claims do happen, but personally I really don't think it is worth the potential ramifications.

I did actually ask the jewelry provider that exact question. So what's to stop me from taking the replacement item to kijiji or similar. He said - we get that question often and have had many clients do that. lol
Seems like a flawed process to me having gone through it, but that continues to be the way it works.

The worst part of it isn't the loss, its the violating sense of intrusion as mentioned. One of my kids was quite disturbed by it, and I had trouble sleeping and was hesitant to leave the house for a few days.

...and sorry for the thread hijack on Vivint. Just wanted to give people a heads up on my experience with their hardware. Everyone is right though, most residential grade products to very little to protect your house but the dispatch potential should make them hurry and therefore limit your loss. Point is - if someone wants in, they will get in.

You're probably right, most people don't keep inventories of stuff and likely under-claim unless they decide to make up some big ticket items. I don't even know what the potential ramifications of a false claim would be though - how could they possibly prove you did not own something? Sounds like you're almost better off not keeping any records of your possessions at all.

Funny about Kijiji haha - not too surprising though if the cash payout is pennies on the dollar vs getting a brand new replacement.

lilmira
05-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Wow, it looks targeted and planned.

How far do you have to go to secure your home? You can beef up your door to stop a truck. I'll just break the window, go in and unlock your steel door 5000.

CLiVE
05-03-2018, 12:18 PM
Sorry to hear of this incident. Hopefully things taken are replaceable and nothing of sentimental value were taken!

I guess most thieves would grab the smaller electronics in the living room and jewelry in the bedrooms. Makes me wonder if we should put valuables in the bathroom under pieces of clothing that they wouldn't want to touch!? Will look into beefing up the locks and doors!

One observation. They didn't set foot in the kids rooms - no one keeps anything of value there. Unfortunately a lot of the things taken were of sentimental value. Wedding rings, and my grandfathers vintage watches.

Targeted - I doubt it. They were in the neighborhood and chose a random house on the block. Corner house, largest house on the block, with an easy getaway to a major road.

Most thieves are not 'people persons'. The one reassuring thing is that this happened in the middle of the day when they thought no one would be home (and yes - we had fedex packages sitting on our doorstep. doh).

CLiVE
05-03-2018, 12:24 PM
I also learned a lot about door construction. Most - regardless if they are steel, fiberglass or wood still have a wood block and therefore weak point where the knobs/locks are installed which will splinter when kicked.
A bolt buddy (http://www.boltbuddy.com/boltbuddy.htm) or help strengthen this weak point and stop the door from splintering or bending at that weak point. Cheap investment, which may make them look for an easier target.

spike98
05-03-2018, 12:26 PM
- - - Updated - - -
You're probably right, most people don't keep inventories of stuff and likely under-claim unless they decide to make up some big ticket items. I don't even know what the potential ramifications of a false claim would be though - how could they possibly prove you did not own something? Sounds like you're almost better off not keeping any records of your possessions at all.

Funny about Kijiji haha - not too surprising though if the cash payout is pennies on the dollar vs getting a brand new replacement.

The ramifications are Fraud. The onus wouldn't be on them to prove you didn't, it would be on you to prove you did.

Also there is limitation to your insurance policy on what you can claim and the amounts thereof. If you are out of the limits, SOL. If you feel you need additional coverage to supplement the limits, then they will ask you for proof of purchase before granting the policy.

For normal claims, under the policy limit, they rarely care as it is part of their metrics anyways and the assume total loss when calculating your premium.

CLiVE
05-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Most likely the thief would GTFO if he found out you were home (thats why all these break ins happen mid day when they think you're at work rather than at night), but either way police response time wouldn't be nearly fast enough to stop either the theft or subsequent violence after surprising the thief.

- - - Updated - - -

If you didn't have ANY documentation for several big ticket items - I'm sure they might start asking more questions. The biggest ticket items we lost were wedding rings which we had appraisals for, most of the other stuff were several small items (like 10+ watches ranging in value from $300 - $1500 a piece). Combined value is significant, but on a piece by piece basis not so much. Believe we were insured up to $12k/piece as a standard policy. Any value above this your should have a specific rider on the policy for the item.

Mitsu3000gt
05-03-2018, 01:18 PM
The ramifications are Fraud. The onus wouldn't be on them to prove you didn't, it would be on you to prove you did.

Also there is limitation to your insurance policy on what you can claim and the amounts thereof. If you are out of the limits, SOL. If you feel you need additional coverage to supplement the limits, then they will ask you for proof of purchase before granting the policy.

For normal claims, under the policy limit, they rarely care as it is part of their metrics anyways and the assume total loss when calculating your premium.

They would have to prove you DID commit fraud for you to get charged, you aren't guilty until proven innocent or everyone who made a burglery claim would get a fraud charge when they couldn't show a receipt for grandma's 50yr old wedding band they claimed. You don't need to have proof of every item being replaced, especially if it isn't of extremely high value.

If a house gets broken into and you say you had a $2K watch that you never had, or an iPad you never had, or computer components that you never had, cash in your sock drawer that you never had, etc. how would anyone ever be able to prove you didn't? It's literally impossible.

I raised my contents insurance quite significantly twice, once several years ago and another time about a year ago and was not asked to prove anything so you definitely do not require proof of purchase before raising it.

Like you say though, I don't think they care - I'm sure it's all in the premiums and then some.

- - - Updated - - -

Good hiding places for valuables are places like laundry rooms, storage rooms, the attic, kids rooms, an actual safe, etc. These crack heads looking for a quick buck aren't going to bother with any of those places. Not many people want to dig out their watches/jewelry from an obscure location every morning though so it's easy to see why most people do not do that. A biometric safe in the bedroom is a good idea, and opens in one quick touch. There are lots of floor/wall safes too that are easily hidden and easy to install. Heirloom jewlery should be in a safety deposit box, nobody wears that stuff anyway usually.

spike98
05-03-2018, 02:25 PM
They would have to prove you DID commit fraud for you to get charged, you aren't guilty until proven innocent or everyone who made a burglery claim would get a fraud charge when they couldn't show a receipt for grandma's 50yr old wedding band they claimed. You don't need to have proof of every item being replaced, especially if it isn't of extremely high value.

If a house gets broken into and you say you had a $2K watch that you never had, or an iPad you never had, or computer components that you never had, cash in your sock drawer that you never had, etc. how would anyone ever be able to prove you didn't? It's literally impossible.

I raised my contents insurance quite significantly twice, once several years ago and another time about a year ago and was not asked to prove anything so you definitely do not require proof of purchase before raising it.

Like you say though, I don't think they care - I'm sure it's all in the premiums and then some.

- - - Updated - - -

Good hiding places for valuables are places like laundry rooms, storage rooms, the attic, kids rooms, an actual safe, etc. These crack heads looking for a quick buck aren't going to bother with any of those places. Not many people want to dig out their watches/jewelry from an obscure location every morning though so it's easy to see why most people do not do that. A biometric safe in the bedroom is a good idea, and opens in one quick touch. There are lots of floor/wall safes too that are easily hidden and easy to install. Heirloom jewlery should be in a safety deposit box, nobody wears that stuff anyway usually.

I guess i should have elaborated a bit...

For fraud yes, you are right. For a pay-out...hell no. At any time the insurance company can say, show me the proove or we don't pay. I believe its even in the T/C's of your policy.

Mitsu3000gt
05-03-2018, 02:32 PM
I guess i should have elaborated a bit...

For fraud yes, you are right. For a pay-out...hell no. At any time the insurance company can say, show me the proove or we don't pay. I believe its even in the T/C's of your policy.

Fair enough, but how does anyone get payouts then, or authorization to go and re-buy the items they lost (or "lost")? I would guess not even 1% of people keep good records like receipts, itemized serial number lists, or photos of their valuables. Nobody would have proof of most jewelry either just due to the nature of the product (often a gift or heirloom so you have no proof). And a photo can't show the quality of gold or precious stones. It's probably harder to get reimbursement for big ticket items like a $10K diamond ring without proof, but I bet a lot of people hook themselves up with a free ipad or laptop after a break-in haha.

I take photos of all my expensive possessions (PC, camera gear, etc.) with serial number visible if possible. I also have PDF scans of every receipt of value and store it on the cloud. I am the only person I know who does this though haha.

Cagare
05-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Fair enough, but how does anyone get payouts then, or authorization to go and re-buy the items they lost (or "lost")? I would guess not even 1% of people keep good records like receipts, itemized serial number lists, or photos of their valuables. Nobody would have proof of most jewelry either just due to the nature of the product (often a gift or heirloom so you have no proof). And a photo can't show the quality of gold or precious stones. It's probably harder to get reimbursement for big ticket items like a $10K diamond ring without proof, but I bet a lot of people hook themselves up with a free ipad or laptop after a break-in haha.

I take photos of all my expensive possessions (PC, camera gear, etc.) with serial number visible if possible. I also have PDF scans of every receipt of value and store it on the cloud. I am the only person I know who does this though haha.

I do it also. Have photos of all valuable items, photos of them, scans of the receipts and the serial number in a spreadsheet on the cloud. Also keep scans of important documents too. After my cousin went through a break in we started doing it.

Also agree on he safety deposit box and safe or proper hiding if necessary. Security cables on stuff left in the open. In the end you just want to slow down thieves enough to make them second guess what they are grabbing. If they really want something they will get it.

16hypen3sp
08-20-2018, 06:02 PM
My Sky Control panel failed the other night. Series of cascading failures followed by total loss of power. The fan on the bottom left corner started and just stayed running until I unplugged the unit from the wall. Called Vivint support and they placed a call out for a local tech to investigate.

Tech came today. He just removed the old panel and gave me a new one. Hooked everything back up and good as new.

dj_rice
08-20-2018, 08:56 PM
So I was checking my bill and I use to pay $49.99, but now its suddenly dropped to $29.99/monthly. Anyone had this happen? I never called in to get a reduction. Last call a few months ago was to threaten to cancel if they didnt give me some free upgrades which I said I would think about and decide.

Still want the new Sky Control Panel and a doorbell camera. Gotta see what Alarmforce/Fluent/ADT offer

Kijho
08-21-2018, 02:46 PM
So I was checking my bill and I use to pay $49.99, but now its suddenly dropped to $29.99/monthly. Anyone had this happen? I never called in to get a reduction. Last call a few months ago was to threaten to cancel if they didnt give me some free upgrades which I said I would think about and decide.

Still want the new Sky Control Panel and a doorbell camera. Gotta see what Alarmforce/Fluent/ADT offer

It's cuz you paid out the equipment fee and now you just have monitoring fee monthly.

R!zz0
08-24-2018, 08:06 AM
I don't have home security, but Jesus! $50/mo seems pretty steep!

:werd:

16hypen3sp
08-24-2018, 08:54 AM
Monitoring costs are interesting. Vivint will roll the costs of equipment into your monthly payment along with the monitoring fees. The costs for all my equipment and monitoring is around $65. I'm almost done with the equipment portion of it.

I always thought it was really expensive until I ran into a Fluent tech last winter. He asked how much I was paying and how much equipment I had. Told him and his response was "Holy shit. That is a steal of a deal man!"

Another thing, I wanted some fixed cameras for my place and I was going to order them thru Vivint. This was back when they had the 'fixed cameras' now they have the 'ping cameras'. IIRC, they wanted around $180 for one camera. That's a lot. So I waited and ended up spotting three of them on a local buy/sell page for $200 total. They just synch up to the Sky Control panel so I bought them and synched them to my panel and it was a breeze. Worked out great. If you're thinking of adding those types of peripherals, they are easy to set up and people usually sell them for cheap compared to getting the same thing from Vivint.

Does anyone have the 'ping' type cameras? What are they like? (The ping camera superseded the fixed camera.)

Also, as a guy who works away, I find the entire service a significant value. It's great to be able to see what's going on at home.

Lex350
08-24-2018, 10:29 AM
Personally I had a problem with Vivint. I felt the package wasn't terrible. I had problems with the camera in the garage which would randomly flicker and cause me to get a warning of movement in the garage. Also my doorbell camera never worked proper.

Within the first 10 days of being able to return it. I asked for service, they sent the same tech who installed who put in 'boosters' which did nothing. I then requested a different tech to come out, and i waited around for a 10AM service, which the same tech called me at 1030 saying there was nothing he could do. I ripped out the entire system myself and boxed it back up for the guy to pick up. At that point found out i was billed for equipment which was never installed (Because they name the equipment in serial numbers and not names).

I went with my own home automation and just set up my own equipment with no issues.

This was the experience a buddy of mine had so I went a different route.

I use a set of 5 Arlo camera linked to my phone. I have one mounted inside but pointed at my front door so I get around the cold weather issue. I also installed motion sensor lights in my back yard, security bars on my basement windows, always park my car in my garage and have a Retriever with a large growl and bark. So far that has worked pretty good. In the winter I have noticed my back gate open and footprints on the deck but no break-in

nj2Type-S
03-04-2020, 08:25 PM
hey guys! my vivint contract is expiring this month. i called vivint and they offered $39.99/month for 12 months without any equipment upgrades. after the 12 month contract is expired, i will be on a month-to-month basis. is that a decent deal? i was told that if i were to cancel, that i can’t use the app anymore (which makes sense), so that’s why i’m leaning on getting this offer.

i was hoping they’d throw in a new camera, at least, but no dice.

ExtraSlow
03-04-2020, 08:26 PM
Cancel for a month and see what they say.

nj2Type-S
03-04-2020, 08:28 PM
Cancel for a month and see what they say.

they said i can only do month-to-month after i finish the 12-month term.

ExtraSlow
03-04-2020, 08:48 PM
No, don't go on month to month. Cancel completely. Either they give you a great deal to stop you cancelling, or they give you a great deal a month later as a "new" customer, or you get a great deal as someone without a security system at all ($0/mo!) . Three ways to win.

killramos
03-04-2020, 08:49 PM
Home security monitoring is a scam anyway, keep the equipment and use it offline.

ExtraSlow
03-04-2020, 08:56 PM
Home security monitoring is a scam anyway, keep the equipment and use it offline.
I think the real value is the yard sign and window stickers. I still have mine!

dj_rice
03-04-2020, 10:01 PM
I called last month just to inquire on cancelling my contract as I've been month to month w/o contract for almost 2 years, and these fuckers said I verbally agreed to a new 2 year term somehow which I never did. I asked when this happened and they said it was when my price was dropped to $29.99. I said bullshit, and asked for proof of this, they said they would pull up the audio recording of the call, and I never heard back since.

nj2Type-S
03-04-2020, 11:39 PM
I called last month just to inquire on cancelling my contract as I've been month to month w/o contract for almost 2 years, and these fuckers said I verbally agreed to a new 2 year term somehow which I never did. I asked when this happened and they said it was when my price was dropped to $29.99. I said bullshit, and asked for proof of this, they said they would pull up the audio recording of the call, and I never heard back since.

$30/mo seems like a reasonable amount. how’d you score that??

BokCh0y
03-05-2020, 12:58 AM
i’ve been with these fuckers for a while now and although they’ve agreed to lower my monthly cost, still hasn’t happened.

who are viable replacements now anyway?

killramos
03-05-2020, 07:07 AM
I get an email every couple weeks from TELUS asking me to sign up for their security system for ~20 bucks a month. Still a waste of money.

rage2
03-05-2020, 08:23 AM
I dumped Vivint last year. There hasn't been any meaningful upgrade since I signed on, they're pushing home automation but it's their half baked solution and only integrated with another half baked solution (Google Home). Their panel started flaking out on us and would give false alarms a couple times a year when armed with a panel tamper false trigger. The last year we just stopped arming it. Should've cancelled then but totally forgot. Switched to a Honeywell system that integrates into Homekit, now the automation is complete. Arm when leaving, auto secure the house (blinds, locks) etc. Don't even use the panel, everything is done through my native Apple Home app that controls the entire house.

When I quit Vivint they countered with the $30 a month deal for me as well.

killramos
03-05-2020, 08:40 AM
What Panel did you end up with?

I have a Nest Guard / Secure which has been decent since I dumped ADT.

I’d rather put the 20-30 bucks into a slush account to spend on cameras and home automation toys.

ThePenIsMightier
03-05-2020, 08:44 AM
I get an email every couple weeks from TELUS asking me to sign up for their security system for ~20 bucks a month. Still a waste of money.

Telus bought ADT here, so they are just trying to get you back to ADT.

dj_rice
03-05-2020, 08:46 AM
$30/mo seems like a reasonable amount. how’d you score that??

It's cuz you paid out the equipment fee and now you just have monitoring fee monthly.

Keep in mind, I just have basic alarm package. You might have home automation/cameras and etc. I don't have nothing but the old 2Gig control panel and sensors.

killramos
03-05-2020, 08:53 AM
Telus bought ADT here, so they are just trying to get you back to ADT.

I’m aware

rage2
03-05-2020, 09:01 AM
What Panel did you end up with?

I have a Nest Guard / Secure which has been decent since I dumped ADT.

I’d rather put the 20-30 bucks into a slush account to spend on cameras and home automation toys.
I'm Homekit, so there's only 2 systems that are natively compatible with it. Honeywell Lyric Alarm which requires a monitoring service, and Abode which is a DIY system with self monitoring. I went with the Honeywell setup. Didn't feel like building it myself especially with door and motion sensor crap, so just went with a dealer to get it all done.

killramos
03-05-2020, 09:07 AM
Ok fair enough, I remember searching for a panel I could self monitor a few years ago and landed on the Nest, but wasn’t sure where things had landed.

I don’t even have a single one of my Nest things hooked up in the new place, I’m trying to figure out what automation platform I want to commit to go forward. Nest and Google Home has been mildly disappointing to me.

rage2
03-05-2020, 09:13 AM
Ok fair enough, I remember searching for a panel I could self monitor a few years ago and landed on the Nest, but wasn’t sure where things had landed.

I don’t even have a single one of my Nest things hooked up in the new place, I’m trying to figure out what automation platform I want to commit to go forward. Nest and Google Home has been mildly disappointing to me.
I integrated all my Nest stuff into HomeKit with this guy: https://www.starlinghome.io

The HomeKit platform has been rock solid for me. I mean there are a few things I have on my Wishlist, but overall it's done almost everything I needed.

killramos
03-05-2020, 11:09 AM
I integrated all my Nest stuff into HomeKit with this guy: https://www.starlinghome.io

The HomeKit platform has been rock solid for me. I mean there are a few things I have on my Wishlist, but overall it's done almost everything I needed.

That thing is essentially just a homebridge box? Works well with Cameras?

spike98
03-05-2020, 11:12 AM
I'm Homekit, so there's only 2 systems that are natively compatible with it. Honeywell Lyric Alarm which requires a monitoring service, and Abode which is a DIY system with self monitoring. I went with the Honeywell setup. Didn't feel like building it myself especially with door and motion sensor crap, so just went with a dealer to get it all done.

I want to get out of ADT and into a DIY setup. I am just so new to homekit that i am scared to make the jump. I would like to go with Abode but the automation part i am worried about as i have specific things i want to accomplish (ie. lock doors at XX time, or turn off/on lights or shades with sunrise sunset). The reviews on Abode are that its a good security system but pretty light on the home automation end. Is there a homekit controller that you are aware of that will work with Abode on the security side and take the heavy lift on the automation side?

Edit, nevermind, seen the starling home hub.That seems to be only nest integration. I am looking for other zwave type control.

lilmira
03-05-2020, 11:27 AM
I dumped Vivint quite a few years back. Cost and function are my primary factors. Monitor service fee adds up and it's gone forever. Cost for DIY stuff with integrated automation can be high but the function far exceeds the system that monitor services provide at least for the time being. I can't see it getting better. Those companies exist in closed system and they can't compete with open market. I started with door lock, thermostat, door sensors and cameras, then a few switches, garage door opener, more switches, ceiling fans, more switches, blinds over the years. I'll probably cry if I have to buy them all in one day but it wasn't too bad to add them gradually. When I cancelled Vivint, I explained to them what I was doing. There wasn't much resistance, it was like ok, thank you and good day sir.

dj_rice
07-19-2020, 09:53 AM

Just bumping this, spoke with retentions finally and told them about how I've been w/o contract blah blah, guy at first said are you sure, cause your at $29.99 and I see you called in 2018 when your rate was dropped to $29.99 and accepted the deal, I said BS, its because my equipment is paid for thats why its $29.99, I never agreed to anything, he started looking into my account and said yeah it odd because if you did agree there would be a 3 year contract or etc but I see no contract on your account at all.

Anyways I ended up getting the new Sky Control panel, a DoorBell Ring Pro all for free $0 install fee. He also gave me some good will credits of $5/off per month for the next 5 months. Rate is still the $29.99/month BUT I had to lock in for 60 months, I tried to get him to throw in a free outdoor camera but wasnt able to unless my monthly rate went up. I know 5 years locked but thats fine with me, as the $29.99 rate stays locked for that 5 years which I think is great price but I might sell my house in 2-3 years and move back to Calgary so will call back then and get them to do the move my equipment thing for free. My main goal was just getting the new panel and Doorbell camera. I'll hit up Amazon and get some Wyze cams and install myself.

Also got him to replace some of my sensors to newer ones since I got the same installer my sister used a year ago.

Kijho
08-03-2020, 07:28 PM
Bumping up this thread, someone from ADT just came to my door and offered a "free alarm system, cameras, etc. if you simply advertise for us with a sign, stickers, etc. on your house because you live in an appealing high traffic area".

I declined before I could figure out what the catch to it was, but I presume they'd be locking in for some contract X years and it's "free" only up to an extent?

killramos
08-03-2020, 07:36 PM
The catch is there us a camera in each bedroom, oh and if someone breaks in they won’t do anything about it.

ExtraSlow
08-03-2020, 07:45 PM
... and if someone breaks in they won’t do anything about it.true of every alarm company these days. Alarms are such a waste of money.

killramos
08-03-2020, 07:55 PM
true of every alarm company these days. Alarms are such a waste of money.

Yea alarm companies are complete scams, services people pay for to make their wives feel safe when what they really need is a real man in the house. Or a firearm. I go the firearm route.

Clever
08-03-2020, 08:39 PM
Bumping up this thread, someone from ADT just came to my door and offered a "free alarm system, cameras, etc. if you simply advertise for us with a sign, stickers, etc. on your house because you live in an appealing high traffic area".

I declined before I could figure out what the catch to it was, but I presume they'd be locking in for some contract X years and it's "free" only up to an extent?

They came to my house too, so the door to door guys work for a company that sells the ADT service. The catch is you sign up for the service at $35 for 5 years. You can also do 3 years at a higher rate I think. You can go to the ADT website and it’ll give you all the info, it is cheaper if you get it from them directly but I don’t think they cover install.

Kijho
08-03-2020, 09:53 PM
Yikes!! Yup, I've got the full Wyze / Ring setup going on the whole place and love it so much.

Actually, (maybe I should post in the Wyze thread) but I just got an email about Wyze Plus (full-length motion recording of Complete Motion Capture) it's $11.84 / Year.

vengie
08-04-2020, 04:38 PM
Has anyone used Blink cameras?
We just dumped Telus, but want to keep some form of camera setup.

Any other options? I could probably search, but I’m lazy.

dj_rice
08-04-2020, 08:35 PM
Yikes!! Yup, I've got the full Wyze / Ring setup going on the whole place and love it so much.

Actually, (maybe I should post in the Wyze thread) but I just got an email about Wyze Plus (full-length motion recording of Complete Motion Capture) it's $11.84 / Year.

Do you use any Wyze for outdoor? Wondering if the cams can withstand our winters outside