PDA

View Full Version : Laminate install

jutes
05-25-2017, 12:55 PM
I'm in the process of finishing my basement flooring. I've already done two bedrooms with a square layout so there were no issues. The main basement room isn't square so my question is where do I start? I'm figuring I start in the bottom right corner (by the bathroom and storage room) and work my way left and up towards the tv viewing area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd151/pushok85/Basement/floor%20layout.png

roopi
05-25-2017, 01:07 PM
I would start the the opposite corner of what you suggested. So the top left corner of this image. Only reason being is then the pieces with the most cuts will end up by the storage/bathroom/hallway. More out of sight then the main area of the bathroom.

Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about and think this would result in the most odd shaped pieces being left to the end. :dunno:

Vdubbin
05-25-2017, 01:10 PM
I would also agree with Roopi and start in the top left. But be sure that you use a chalk line to keep things Straight and even as you go along.

Originally posted by roopi
I would start the the opposite corner of what you suggested. So the top left corner of this image. Only reason being is then the pieces with the most cuts will end up by the storage/bathroom/hallway. More out of sight then the main area of the bathroom.

Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about and think this would result in the most odd shaped pieces being left to the end. :dunno:

revelations
05-25-2017, 01:13 PM
I would also start on that wall thats along the bottom edge - left or right.

Longest runs that way. If the flooring is click/lock, you will have very little recourse for serious misalignments.

Hope your sub-floor or underlay is good too down there, and that you've done a moisture test.

Also, as mentioned below - if your flooring is organic, then the bathroom will be the first area that will go bad - quickly.

Once you go vinyl, you will never go back to organic.

Thaco
05-25-2017, 01:14 PM
from what i read when i did mine you should install planks parallel to entry way to the room, and also if possible the largest light source, this will make the room appear larger. but as long as you plan your cuts to keep any lengths larger than 6" it doesnt really matter where you start it'll all end up looking the same when cleaned up with baseboards/t-molding/solicone

jutes
05-25-2017, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
from what i read when i did mine you should install planks parallel to entry way to the room, and also if possible the largest light source, this will make the room appear larger. but as long as you plan your cuts to keep any lengths larger than 6" it doesnt really matter where you start it'll all end up looking the same when cleaned up with baseboards/t-molding/solicone

I'm thinking its best to start at the bottom right corner hallway area by the bathrooom/storage. It'll be about 9.6 planks width-wise down that longest strip back towards the stairs. So if I start with half a width plank running down bottom of the "hallway" I should end up with half a plank on the shelf end, then go from there up and down. I just don't want to start at, lets say, the TV wall end, and end up with like 1-2" of plank on the hallway run.

ee2k
05-25-2017, 01:28 PM
I would end by the bathroom. Why? Chances are you will have a moisture and/or leak issue at some point, and the likelihood of it happening by the bathroom is greater than the rest. So, if you were to replace/repair at that time, then you'd only remove the bathroom floors and not the rest.

Kloubek
05-25-2017, 01:37 PM
I'm clearly missing something. How's he supposed to start in either main corner? Wouldn't he have to start at one of the extremes, top or bottom, due to the tongue and groove installation? If he starts in the upper left corner by the window, I imagine it could be a pain when doing the TV area. If he starts by the bathroom, the bedroom/utility will be a pain.

Thaco
05-25-2017, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by jutes

I'm thinking its best to start at the bottom right corner hallway area by the bathrooom/storage. It'll be about 9.6 planks width-wise down that longest strip back towards the stairs. So if I start with half a width plank running down bottom of the "hallway" I should end up with half a plank on the shelf end, then go from there up and down. I just don't want to start at, lets say, the TV wall end, and end up with like 1-2" of plank on the hallway run. you should measure each run and make sure you don't end up with a piece under 6 inches on either end, after the first couple rows it'll be very obvious how many planks you will be using and what you're left over with

jutes
05-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I'm clearly missing something. How's he supposed to start in either main corner? Wouldn't he have to start at one of the extremes, top or bottom, due to the tongue and groove installation? If he starts in the upper left corner by the window, I imagine it could be a pain when doing the TV area. If he starts by the bathroom, the bedroom/utility will be a pain.

The only difference is the bedroom/utility is a lot smaller in area than the tv area. Looks like I'll have to do some calculations and start in the bedroom/utility area so I end up with half a plank for the hallway run, but then it means i'll have to do that run backwards, if thats even possible.

Thaco
05-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I'm clearly missing something. How's he supposed to start in either main corner? Wouldn't he have to start at one of the extremes, top or bottom, due to the tongue and groove installation? If he starts in the upper left corner by the window, I imagine it could be a pain when doing the TV area. If he starts by the bathroom, the bedroom/utility will be a pain. unless he intends to install it vertically based on the picture orientation.

The only difference is the bedroom/utility is a lot smaller in area than the tv area. Looks like I'll have to do some calculations and start in the bedroom/utility area so I end up with half a plank for the hallway run, but then it means i'll have to do that run backwards, if thats even possible. you cant go backward.

jutes
05-25-2017, 01:45 PM
you should measure each run and make sure you don't end up with a piece under 6 inches on either end, after the first couple rows it'll be very obvious how many planks you will be using and what you're left over with

Well the planks i'm using are 6"1/4 width so that's not possible.

Thaco
05-25-2017, 01:46 PM
I personally would go horizontally, and start at the very bottom, since there are no doors at the top, it wont be so bad to have ripped boards up there, but it will be very noticable on doorways

revelations
05-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Note, if the planks are not end-locking, you will possibly end up with large gaps down the road with very long runs (>6 pieces) as the thermal expansion/contraction takes place.

In that case, I would go the short route - start from the bottom left and work up towards the top.

Thaco

Well the planks i'm using are 6"1/4 width so that's not possible. that sounds like a horrible experience, good luck :D

jutes
unless he intends to install it vertically based on the picture orientation.

No the plan is to go length-wise down from the stairs to bathroom.

that sounds like a horrible experience, good luck :D

I've got time lol.

I personally would go horizontally, and start at the very bottom, since there are no doors at the top, it wont be so bad to have ripped boards up there, but it will be very noticable on doorways

The bedroom planks run left to right length wise so going the opposite way down the main basement floor will look funky.

Thaco
05-25-2017, 01:49 PM

Well the planks i'm using are 6"1/4 width so that's not possible. i was referring to the length

Thaco
05-25-2017, 01:51 PM

No the plan is to go length-wise down from the stairs to bathroom.

yeah if you're going that way i'd start at the window then, since it'll be the most high traffic and noticable area.

jutes
05-25-2017, 01:55 PM
yeah if you're going that way i'd start at the window then, since it'll be the most high traffic and noticable area.

Ok that makes sense. I'll just have to calculate my starting piece width at the top wall (not the tv area) to make sure I end up with at least half a plank for the hallway wall. Also makes sense to end at the bathroom and utility room in case of leaks or sump pump failure.

jwslam
05-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Depends how old the place is, not all the walls will be square. You start where you want straight lines. i.e. I would want mine to be running horizontal across bathroom door so that's where I'd start

jutes
05-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
Depends how old the place is, not all the walls will be square. You start where you want straight lines. i.e. I would want mine to be running horizontal across bathroom door so that's where I'd start

House was built in 2012 so its fairly new. The window and tv walls are the foundation so I'll measure from there. Problem with running horizontal from bathroom door is the planks will be perpendicular to the planks in the bedrooms.

Thaco
05-25-2017, 02:21 PM

House was built in 2012 so its fairly new. The window and tv walls are the foundation so I'll measure from there. Problem with running horizontal from bathroom door is the planks will be perpendicular to the planks in the bedrooms. not to mention, i'd prefer to have a 4 foot wall in the lowest traffic area to appear to have crooked cuts, rather than the longest wall in the highest traffic area.