View Full Version : Fun Roadtrip Car?

Sugarphreak
05-29-2017, 03:09 PM

firebane
05-29-2017, 03:10 PM
http://www.magic925.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/CAR-3.png

ExtraSlow
05-29-2017, 03:13 PM
For one or two people? Small-ish wagon FTW.

speedog
05-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Heh, almost what I was thinking - Olds Vista Cruiser...

http://momentcar.com/images/oldsmobile-vista-cruiser-1972-9.jpg

Sugarphreak
05-29-2017, 03:20 PM

dirtsniffer
05-29-2017, 03:21 PM
all my favorite road trips were in minivans.

speedog
05-29-2017, 03:22 PM
For me, a sleeper 1996 Impala SS. Big and bad and will just gobble up the highway miles...

http://www.elementwheels.com/vehicleimages/96impalass.jpg

never
05-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Depends if you're just driving to get to the destination (i.e., straight highways) or you want to enjoy the drive (i.e., picking the less travelled, curvy stuff).

jabjab
05-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Took the TT to BC and it was really fun to open it up on the curvy roads but then again, I could only have one passenger.

Swank
05-29-2017, 03:30 PM
I think pretty much any exotic convertible would hit the spot.

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/620/420/cms/images/cars/mclaren/2016mclaren650s/254662.jpg

BavarianBeast
05-29-2017, 03:34 PM
Some awful suggestions..

As somebody who drove over 50,000km on the road over the 8 months...

Roadtrek SS Agile.

http://www.roadtrek.com/models/ss-agile/

Kloubek
05-29-2017, 03:36 PM
I dunno, but Alanis Morissette seemed to have a lot of fun in the "Ironic" video using a late 80's Lincoln Continental.

http://popcrush.com/files/2015/06/Screen-Shot-2015-06-09-at-1.13.06-PM-630x419.png

I mean... look at that smile.

killramos
05-29-2017, 03:43 PM
If I had to pick anything? I think taking an S63 or S65 vert for a couple week cruise would be awesome.
http://hanabi.autoweek.com/sites/default/files/styles/gen-1200-675/public/15c789_137.jpg
All the comfort and refinement you could ever want, some sporty underpinnings for when the road allows it, plenty of room for 2 and luggage, and drop dead gorgeous. Ability to take the roof down here and there.

Honestly there are so many different cars that would be incredible for a road trip, one of the best road trips I ever went on was in an old shitty F150 with friends :dunno:

I still want to revive my loop down to California roadtrip idea over 2-3 weeks but with my current car.

ercchry
05-29-2017, 03:44 PM
If I'm not sleeping in it... LS430/460, ultra lux

Great gas mileage even at high speeds
Very comfortable, but sporty handling with the flip of a couple switches
Tons of room inside
Massaging seats
Heated and cooled seats
Radar cruise control and other good road trip tech
Fridge... you need a fridge
Enough room in the trunk to carry a bunch of truck stop hookers
Decent sized gas tank
Reliable, no worries about getting stuck on the side of the road
Good passing power

Oh, and the most important... 110% invisible to law enforcement :rofl:

JustinL
05-29-2017, 03:48 PM
I'll take the Panamera Sport Turismo:

https://icdn-4.motor1.com/images/mgl/xmbxk/s4/porsche-panamera-sport-turismo.jpg

vengie
05-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with 3.0 diesel

03ozwhip
05-29-2017, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by vengie
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with 3.0 diesel

dude....wtf is fun about that? lol I'd definitely go with something comfortable with power, so it would have to be something like a panamera or something.

buh_buh
05-29-2017, 04:04 PM
http://ballew.org/winnebago/images/71Brave3.jpg

vengie
05-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

dude....wtf is fun about that? lol I'd definitely go with something comfortable with power, so it would have to be something like a panamera or something.

The versatility! Super comfortable and smooth on road, fuel efficient, and has off road capability.

Throw some bikes on it and go.

Mitsu3000gt
05-29-2017, 04:12 PM
Driver: Ferrari 812SF, Porsche Panamera Turbo, MB E63S AMG Wagon, Audi RS6/S8

Passenger: Maybach, Motorhome, Minivan

03ozwhip
05-29-2017, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by vengie

The versatility! Super comfortable and smooth on road, fuel efficient, and has off road capability.

Throw some bikes on it and go.
your version of fun and mine are a little different lol that's like...granola fun lol

vengie
05-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

your version of fun and mine are a little different lol that's like...granola fun lol

I'm getting old :rofl:

max_boost
05-29-2017, 04:20 PM
Been eyeing the TT RS but not motivated enough to pull the trigger lol

90_Shelby
05-29-2017, 04:31 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/90_Shelby/9697FCC6-2457-4F74-90D4-77E6E3AADB77.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/90_Shelby/media/9697FCC6-2457-4F74-90D4-77E6E3AADB77.jpg.html)

Great touring car, lots of cargo space, comfy ride, handles great and gobs of passing power.

Originally posted by max_boost

A buddy just picked one up, fun car that goes and handles great!

NoPulp
05-29-2017, 04:34 PM
Depends...

To explore - earthroamer (Offroad house built on a super duty ford)
Pleasure drive - 2005 Ford GT (assuming route had many gas stations and minimal luggage)
Happy medium closer to reality - Focus RS (hatch back + smaller size + fun)
Reality - Mustang (luggage space sucks)

lamp_shade_2000
05-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Jeep SRT8. Room for bags and passengers and should handle decently well for its size. Alternatively, that V wagon looks like it would be good fun for a road trip.

Sentry
05-29-2017, 05:32 PM
Took my supercharged M5 to Kelowna for may long with a couple buddies. Shit was mint.

Only used about $220 in fuel too, and that's premium and BC prices.

01RedDX
05-29-2017, 05:43 PM

ExtraSlow
05-29-2017, 07:13 PM
At the start of this thread I was thinking back to all the fun I had with my Mazda3 wagon. Now I drive a cheaper car by far. And now I see the responses. Fuck I feel poor some days. :cry:

mzdspd
05-29-2017, 09:02 PM
Basically any hot hatch.

I Would say a GTI would be kick ass, great seats, throw on a roof rack and hitch bike rack and you are good to go!

Tik-Tok
05-29-2017, 09:22 PM
A North America road tour? Nothing with a sport suspension. Our highways suck in most places. I want a 70's Lincoln or Caddy, towing a car hauler with a MR2, so I can switch when we get to a fun spot.

Buster
05-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by killramos
If I had to pick anything? I think taking an S63 or S65 vert for a couple week cruise would be awesome.
http://hanabi.autoweek.com/sites/default/files/styles/gen-1200-675/public/15c789_137.jpg
All the comfort and refinement you could ever want, some sporty underpinnings for when the road allows it, plenty of room for 2 and luggage, and drop dead gorgeous. Ability to take the roof down here and there.

Honestly there are so many different cars that would be incredible for a road trip, one of the best road trips I ever went on was in an old shitty F150 with friends :dunno:

I still want to revive my loop down to California roadtrip idea over 2-3 weeks but with my current car.

nailed it.

Sugarphreak
05-29-2017, 09:39 PM

npham
05-29-2017, 09:40 PM
Been eyeing the TT RS but not motivated enough to pull the trigger lol Do it. Baby R8 is such a good car for the money. You get super car performance for sports car money.

austic
05-29-2017, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Buster

nailed it.
Couldn't agree more.

As far as a significantly cheaper option is concerned, I drove from Phoenix to Calgary via vegas in a SLK 350 roadster and loved every minute of it. So that being said a convertible would be great. Other option I would suggest would be a Ferrari California

Team_Mclaren
05-29-2017, 10:02 PM
BMW M5:poosie:

comfortable/"good" on gas/pass whatever the fuck you want whenever you want

jabjab
05-30-2017, 07:21 AM

Test drive one and then you'll be motivated :D

Hallowed_point
05-30-2017, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by speedog
For me, a sleeper 1996 Impala SS. Big and bad and will just gobble up the highway miles...

http://www.elementwheels.com/vehicleimages/96impalass.jpg I love these cars. But they sure aren't too quick stock (7.3 0-60.) Still agreed that it would make the perfect road trip car. Cushy suspension, long wheel base, V8 rumble, comfortable seats, huge trunk. Good recommendation.

Tik-Tok
05-30-2017, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I love these cars. But they sure aren't too quick stock (7.3 0-60.)

Yeah, but what is it from a roll? :D

Add a early 2000's Mercury Marauder to the list too. Mustang Mach 1 32-valve 4.6L engine, so plenty of mods available.

speedog
05-30-2017, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I love these cars. But they sure aren't too quick stock (7.3 0-60.) Still agreed that it would make the perfect road trip car. Cushy suspension, long wheel base, V8 rumble, comfortable seats, huge trunk. Good recommendation.

I've driven one of these in the past for a bit and there's just something about a bit of a sleeper bad ass car that pits a smile on my face. Maybe not quick by today's standards but a hoot to bomb around in, kind of like a 300C which I quite enjoyed driving around in as well.

Hallowed_point
05-30-2017, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Yeah, but what is it from a roll? :D

Add a early 2000's Mercury Marauder to the list too. Mustang Mach 1 32-valve 4.6L engine, so plenty of mods available.

:rofl: Probably much, much slower. Yep those are nice too. Neighbor had a Marauder. Still would take an Impala SS as that LT1 sure can wake up quick as well. Headers, exhaust, intake, cam, tune and a stall would really be fun. Just think that the SS is more badass and it's not a ford!

R154
05-30-2017, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by JustinL

https://icdn-4.motor1.com/images/mgl/xmbxk/s4/porsche-panamera-sport-turismo.jpg

wowwwwie

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

rage2
05-30-2017, 08:48 AM
We drive out into BC a couple times a year, and my favorite that I've owned is my CLS. Unbelievable amount of room for passengers, a deceivingly huge trunk, 4 people in comfort and fun for the driver as well (those PSS's I upgraded to made the car stick in the twisties). The GLA45 is alright, tight handling, but could use an extra 50-100 more hp and more low end power (turbo lag sucks). Storage is awesome.

With that being said, +1 for the Panamera, E63S Wagon, CTS-V Wagon. Those would be pretty epic for driver + passengers. Checks all the boxes for me for a roadtrip car.

flipstah
05-30-2017, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by JustinL

THIS! + Thule box = heaven.

Do it. There was a white TTRS for sale a while back in Edmonton and I regret not buying it. :love:

My parents got a TTS and that's a riot already.

rage2
05-30-2017, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by austic
As far as a significantly cheaper option is concerned, I drove from Phoenix to Calgary via vegas in a SLK 350 roadster and loved every minute of it. So that being said a convertible would be great. Other option I would suggest would be a Ferrari California
It's funny, back in the day I've done a bunch of roadtrips in my various SLK's, while the drive was awesome, the lack of space was a buzz kill. See something cool along the way, want to buy it, not happening. The E46 M3 was a bit better, able to pack in 2 guitars + hard cases that I bought along the way.

Convertibles are great, but definitely need bigger ones with more space, and oh yea, pack Aloe for the sunburns haha.

klumsy_tumbler
05-30-2017, 09:09 AM
After having done a mini roadtrip in the cayman, I would have to choose that car.

Surprising amount of room in the frunk and hatch for at least two weeks worth of stuff, and an excuse to go find the curviest roads and take the long way home. Also freakishly good on gas (gets better mileage than our old camry...) and surprisingly comfortable for long stints spent sitting in the car.

Only good if you're solo or only have one passenger though, so totally depends on who you're roadtrippin' it up with.

killramos
05-30-2017, 09:10 AM
I can't even stand the trunk space in the SL... SLK would be painful.

botox
05-30-2017, 09:10 AM
Has to be something larger for me, SUV (M5/6, Merc, Porsche) or Van (AWD Sienna) and any newish one these days will have plenty of passing power. Sedans and sports cars are fun and all but will have limited space and for highway driving they are too low for my liking when it comes to single lane passing.

austic
05-30-2017, 09:18 AM
I can't even stand the trunk space in the SL... SLK would be painful.

Pack light, enough for two carry on suitcases. I don't really like to take a ton with me on road trips. Just the essentials as the rest can be purchased as needed.

But agree on the pack sunscreen. Got a little crispy by time we hit hoover dam

rage2
05-30-2017, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by austic
Pack light, enough for two carry on suitcases. I don't really like to take a ton with me on road trips. Just the essentials as the rest can be purchased as needed.
I'm the king of packing light. I used to fly to Vancouver with nothing but my cell phone, tell the hotel I lost my luggage, and they provide me with bathroom essentials.

My problem is more with a problem of buying dumb ass shit that I need to carry back where I need the space haha.

Hallowed_point
05-30-2017, 09:40 AM
C5 Corvette. Hear me out. It comes with a 6 speed. So that ticks your 3 pedal box. It gets great fuel economy for a 5.7 L V8. You don't have rug rats, so 2 seats is fine. They have a HUGE trunk for a sports car. I borrowed a friends 2000 vert and was blown away with the trunk space. It's a downright practical sports car.

Or for even more practicality, Pontiac G8 GT. But the fuel economy kinda sucks and it's auto only. But it's a 4 door with sublime handling.

shakalaka
05-30-2017, 09:56 AM
This thread got me wanting to take a road trip in the M3 and see how that is before I get rid of it lol. Will see what the wife says, haha. Kelowna? Vancouver? Any other options?

AndyL
05-30-2017, 10:00 AM
Y'all are warped ;)

MGB (not gt)
Triumph spitfire
Fiat convertible

European, convertible sporty and small.

killramos
05-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
This thread got me wanting to take a road trip in the M3 and see how that is before I get rid of it lol. Will see what the wife says, haha. Kelowna? Vancouver? Any other options?

Whitefish

Driving to Kelowna or Van is boring.

Or drive down into Washington / Oregon but that's turning into a real drive lol.

I'd like to do a drive to Jasper this summer just because I have never been.

flipstah
05-30-2017, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I'm the king of packing light. I used to fly to Vancouver with nothing but my cell phone, tell the hotel I lost my luggage, and they provide me with bathroom essentials.

My problem is more with a problem of buying dumb ass shit that I need to carry back where I need the space haha.

BKH JERKY! :love:

Originally posted by AndyL
Y'all are warped ;)

MGB (not gt)
Triumph spitfire
Fiat convertible

European, convertible sporty and small.

Perfect cars to enjoy the scenery! You'll be on the shoulder anyways.

90_Shelby
05-30-2017, 10:25 AM

Whitefish

Or drive down into Washington / Oregon but that's turning into a real drive lol.

Take 22 south to Highway 3 then west to Vancouver. Sure it takes longer but there are some great roads with not a lot of traffic through South BC. Great alternative route for a road trip.

Sugarphreak
05-30-2017, 10:46 AM

Sugarphreak
05-30-2017, 10:47 AM

AndyL
05-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I suppose if you like going town to town searching for oil and temporary accommodations while your car gets fixed, haha

I was at an AutoX on Sunday where somebody brought out a Triumph.... sure enough as I was on my way home, there he was at the side of the road with the hood up

Haha, actuallyy MGB and spitfire never left me on the side of the road... In parking lots yes ;)

Gm 60° V6 and a painless wiring harness to replace lucas resolves 90%

ercchry
05-30-2017, 11:23 AM

An M3 would be a damn nice road trip car IMO

Depends if the latest one has a larger gas tank now (running low and not knowing where the next station is... or if it's a small town if they even have premium... cough... millarville is one of the greatest paranoias of road tripping)

And I'm sure the turbo has different gearing... but with the v8... there is just something unsettling about sitting at 5k+ rpm for long periods of time on a German engine :rofl:

flipstah
05-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

Depends if the latest one has a larger gas tank now (running low and not knowing where the next station is... or if it's a small town if they even have premium... cough... millarville is one of the greatest paranoias of road tripping)

And I'm sure the turbo has different gearing... but with the v8... there is just something unsettling about sitting at 5k+ rpm for long periods of time on a German engine :rofl:

It's also fun when there's no drift crazy lunatic behind the wheel. :rofl:

JK I'm just jello. :love:

ercchry
05-30-2017, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

It's also fun when there's no drift crazy lunatic behind the wheel. :rofl:

JK I'm just jello. :love:

The last thing people expect from a 328i with an oversized thule :rofl:

Plus, if you are going to take the long way home, you have to make the time up somehow!

I guess I can give the m3 a +1 in the sleeper category... so nondescript vs coupe

JustinL
05-30-2017, 01:13 PM

My wife and I took our tent in the E46 M3 to San Francisco and back a few years ago. Super fun car to road trip with, but cargo space is limited. I also brought a spare tire, because all BMW gives you a can of hope, a prayer, and a phone number.

I was ordered to slow down on the PCH because she was getting nauseous. :burnout:

Sugarphreak
05-30-2017, 01:28 PM

BavarianBeast
05-30-2017, 01:38 PM
I've driven my S/C E92 M3 to Kelowna 6 times in total.

Awesome car for that trip! Very fuel efficient for 650hp+ too. Canmore - Kelowna on one tank of gas.

http://imgur.com/a/1Baov

shakalaka
05-30-2017, 01:53 PM

Whitefish

Good suggestions! Never been to Whitefish or Washington. I tossed the idea of a road trip to the wife and she is down, but just not Kelowna as we did that last year.

Washington seems to be a similar length of time as Vancouver so that is definitely an option and I have never been there before so that could be nice.

Although the idea is potentially becoming from just us two in the M3 to us two, another friend couple with their young son in probably a SUV. Haha. Defeats the purpose of what I was intending.
:banghead:

Vancouver Island, take the old highway up to Campbell River. Check out Elk Falls, do the epic ripple rock hike (well only if you like watching boat eating whirpools from the top of a cliff), chill out at the fresh water McIvor lake, have ice cream at the huge pier beside... etc.

Another great drive is if you drive down through Nakusp from Revelstoke, and then take the ferry from Folkqueer (sp?) to needles, then take the epic Monashee pass out to Vernon. There is a really nice gem of a lake and campsite on the Needles side.

I suppose if you like going town to town searching for oil and temporary accommodations while your car gets fixed, haha

I was at an AutoX on Sunday where somebody brought out a Triumph.... sure enough as I was on my way home, there he was at the side of the road with the hood up

Vancouver is on the list and I have also thrown Victoria into the mix. I do like the Washington idea now though as I haven't been there before and the drive seems to be of similar time. Would be cool to go somewhere I haven't been before.

The timing is probably going to be 5 days max, so it can't be any farther than that.

Sugarphreak
05-30-2017, 02:01 PM

shakalaka
05-30-2017, 02:08 PM
^Looking at the map and getting serious about it, I am actually gonna start a new thread so I don't derail this one. Would welcome suggestions etc from you guys there.

SKR
05-30-2017, 02:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UOF9bgS.jpg

That's what I would take. I'm good at making bad choices though.

Dave P
05-30-2017, 03:10 PM
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1989-ford-crown-victoria/1268679763?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

killramos
05-30-2017, 04:06 PM

The trick for doing Vancouver Island if you are coming from Calgary on any sort of a reasonable schedule is to have a nap after work on Friday, and then depart in the evening. That gets you to the ferry as they startup in the morning, no lines in the morning and you can catch some zzzz's on the ride across. That gives you more than enough zoot to get to your hotel and check in for an easy laid back afternoon.

If you try to drive out during the day, you lose a whole day and then the ferry gets congested as all hell by about 11am

The drive back is more simple... catch the early ferry, and you arrive in Calgary in the evening.

Nap after work... you must be getting old.

Sleep once you get in the ferry line its usually around midnight - 1AM if you leave at a reasonable time.

Tik-Tok
05-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

Vancouver is on the list and I have also thrown Victoria into the mix.

If you're going to hit the Island in the M3, I seriously suggest going to Long Beach/Tofino... and make sure your wife takes some Gravol for the road there :D

If you try to drive out during the day, you lose a whole day and then the ferry gets congested as all hell by about 11am

Or you could just pay the $15 for a reservation, and drive right by all the suckers.

Sugarphreak
05-31-2017, 01:31 PM

ercchry
05-31-2017, 02:06 PM
If you can hit that perfect window on Hwy 1 where the truckers are done for the night and before they wake up... it's so glorious

I like to average about 120km/h from Louise to revy... and a couple times I've managed this with passing less than 4 semis, and only a handful of passenger vehicles

My next road trip is going to suck... but the destination is worth it. Volunteered to drive the old hemi powered Durango out to the lake... in the muskoka... with the dogs... and the most uncomfortable leather seats around... and I think pulling some sort of uhaul :barf:

Oh well, will be nice to have a bigger vehicle out there, makes future flights with the dogs easier to organize

Stuart
05-31-2017, 02:29 PM
I did a month long 13,000 km tour of the US (plus Toronto) in my '04 Rx8, it was great. This included a 4 day haul from Orlando to Calgary. I was by myself so I could double back and repeat good sections of road with nobody complaining (Tail of the Dragon multiple times for example)

dirtsniffer
05-31-2017, 02:34 PM
I assume it was 1,000 km a day and 2 weeks for an engine rebuild? damn that's a lot of driving!

Stuart
05-31-2017, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I assume it was 1,000 km a day and 2 weeks for an engine rebuild? damn that's a lot of driving!

No rebuilds...on that trip. But I'm a bit of a gambler, what's better than rolling the dice every day of a roadtrip?