PDA

View Full Version : Interesting about registering a new vehicle

Sonic
05-29-2017, 03:14 PM
Went to registry today to register my new vehicle, the chick said they only take official Alberta bill of sales now and that the previous pink slips mean nothing to them, she also wouldn't take my bill of sale because the seller signed the buyer line by accident and crossed it out :dunno: Didn't want to argue so I left...anyone heard of this lately?

G-ZUS
05-29-2017, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Sonic
Went to registry today to register my new vehicle, the chick said they only take official Alberta bill of sales now and that the previous pink slips mean nothing to them, she also wouldn't take my bill of sale because the seller signed the buyer line by accident and crossed it out :dunno: Didn't want to argue so I left...anyone heard of this lately?

I've had them recently accept pink slips even though they don't print them anymore. And have been turned away before when the seller accidentally signs on the buyer line!

killramos
05-29-2017, 03:48 PM
Its a registry... I think being a giant but plug is a prerequisite for working there :rofl:

Even when they are wrong, what are you going to do about it?

Just go somewhere else and try again.

ExtraSlow
05-29-2017, 03:49 PM
You can bring in a napkin with the vin number and a signature and it's valid. Your registry is wrong.

Rocket1k78
05-29-2017, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
You can bring in a napkin with the vin number and a signature and it's valid. Your registry is wrong.

Ive done this before but on the back of an invoice lol

Sonic
05-29-2017, 03:56 PM
Luckily the guy I bought it from lives 5 minutes from my house. He signed the buyer line by accident and crossed it out, then signed the seller info.

So I asked her what diff it makes, she says if there are 2 buyers then both have to be present to register it :dunno: haha wtf

If anyone is curious, I did not buy an auto Mustang haha, it's a 2009 370Z manual :poosie:

J-hop
05-29-2017, 03:57 PM

Try A-plus in Brentwood. I've always had good experiences there and their hours are not moronic like most registries.

relyt92
05-29-2017, 06:41 PM
Luckily the guy I bought it from lives 5 minutes from my house. He signed the buyer line by accident and crossed it out, then signed the seller info.

So I asked her what diff it makes, she says if there are 2 buyers then both have to be present to register it :dunno: haha wtf

If anyone is curious, I did not buy an auto Mustang haha, it's a 2009 370Z manual :poosie: One VQ37 to another hey? Lots more you can do to the 370 though. Congrats.

Type_S1
05-29-2017, 07:12 PM
I was turned away 2 months ago because when the seller was printing his name the ink looked thicker on 1 letter then the other. She said she thought it was an amendment and therefor needed to be signed by both parties. Huge cunt. I went to a different registry that evening and they had no problem.

HomespunLobster
05-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Registered the new rig today. She almost turned me away because on the VIN section i accidentally wrote the wrong number, crossed it out, and put the right number in. She whited it all out and made me put the right number in and said it was "Acceptable" because if there were two crossed out numbers it wouldn't be valid.

I had a bill of sale once on a piece of paper that someone drew a map for me. I think it depends on who you get at the counter.

J-hop
05-29-2017, 07:26 PM
On the flip side it is good in a way to see some registries getting more strict. Even on here there are people that don't do the minimum checks before purchasing a vehicle (ie: CPIC, carproof, record seller's DL #, checking that seller name matches registration).

ExtraSlow
05-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Funny story, a family member works at a car rental agency. Recently someone rented a car, sold it to themselves with a fake bill of sale (probbaly with the intent to sell it for real and pocket the cash), ended up returning the car, and now that car rental place has the car in it's possession, but it's legally registered to this scumbag.

Not sure how they are going to work that out.

dannie
05-30-2017, 09:19 AM
Based on the wording of the original post, you didn't understand what the clerk was saying. There is no bill of sale on pink slips. It used to be on the back of the registration form. A little more than a year ago, it was removed from registrations moving forward as having it on the back changed the legal make up of the document. It made it into something we don't have in Alberta.

That aside, the clerk is correct, although it doesn't sound like she explained it very well. The problem with your bill of sale is that there was an alteration to the document AND the seller signed where he shouldn't have. A bill of sale is a legal document. It must be signed by the appropriate parties in the spaces provided (if you're using a proper bill of sale). Any changes made to this legal document must be initialed by both parties to make it valid. So, based on your side of the story - without knowing the agents side - you had to go back to the seller and either you both initial and re-sign or obtain a new bill of sale.

gretz
05-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Luckily the guy I bought it from lives 5 minutes from my house.

The last registered owner does not have to be on the bill of sale... You could have had a homeless person write a bill of sale for that car and you could have it in your name with zero issues

Sonic
05-30-2017, 12:03 PM
^ good to know..I went back and now I realize he didn't put down the mileage o the form... I'm going to flip a table if they tell me that's not good enough lol

Sentry
05-30-2017, 10:06 PM
I bought a car from Edmonton and drove it back that day. Next day went to register it and was turned away because I had a copy of the bill of sale, not the one penned on. OK let me just get the guy in Edmonton to fedex it to me for 40 bucks, go fuck yourself. They're just going to scan the fucking thing into their system anyway? On my way out I grabbed a fresh blank bill of sale and just copied all the info over in pen, then went to another registry and registered it.

bourge73
05-30-2017, 10:50 PM
But but but your going to get in trouble ( gf voice)

cancer man
05-30-2017, 11:14 PM
pink slip is Insurance in Canada anyways.
Registration slip you can still write your name in the back and who you sold it to.
Just write on the borders.

schurchill39
05-30-2017, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
I bought a car from Edmonton and drove it back that day. Next day went to register it and was turned away because I had a copy of the bill of sale, not the one penned on. OK let me just get the guy in Edmonton to fedex it to me for 40 bucks, go fuck yourself. They're just going to scan the fucking thing into their system anyway?

I had this happen to me when I bought my Harley as well. I just went to a different registry and called it good.

Seth1968
05-31-2017, 12:35 AM
I bought a car from Edmonton and drove it back that day. Next day went to register it and was turned away because I had a copy of the bill of sale, not the one penned on. OK let me just get the guy in Edmonton to fedex it to me for 40 bucks, go fuck yourself. They're just going to scan the fucking thing into their system anyway

:rofl: :thumbsup:

Sonic
05-31-2017, 02:52 PM
Went to the one in Airdrie and I swear the lady didn't even look at it lol

I've never been turned away before so good to know for next time I'll just go try at a different registry.

Kloubek
05-31-2017, 03:09 PM
On my way out I grabbed a fresh blank bill of sale and just copied all the info over in pen, then went to another registry and registered it.

Ha. I actually did something similar. I bought my Jeep and had it sitting in my garage for a while, then lost the bill of sale during packing up for my house move. I needed the Jeep on the road to tow our moving trailer.

Anyway, on the day of the sale I had taken a picture of the bill of sale along with the guy's license, so I was able to fill it out again myself. I was going to use it, along with his forged signature (which was spot-on, I must say), until I finally found the original glued to the side of a full box by my toddler son.

gretz
05-31-2017, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Anyway, on the day of the sale I had taken a picture of the bill of sale along with the guy's license, so I was able to fill it out again myself. I was going to use it, along with his forged signature (which was spot-on, I must say), until I finally found the original glued to the side of a full box by my toddler son.

Next time, just have a buddy sell you the car