PDA

View Full Version : How much sleep?

speedog
06-04-2017, 09:38 AM
After having a discussion with another subcontractor this weekend, I am now curious how much sleep everyone gets/needs on average. This friend of mine says he needs at least 8 hours of sleep and is usually in bed shortly after 9PM.

Myself, I'm usually never in bed until after midnight and am up and going by 6AM - 5-6 hours of sleep has been normal for me for decades now. Even this morning I was up before 8AM despite going to bed after 2AM and this was after a very physically demanding day at my uncle's place yesterday.

Now I do fall asleep very quickly and also wake up with no delay. My wife and daughter though take a bit of time to fall asleep and take quite a bit of time to get rid of their morning grogginess - they both need at least 7 hours of sleep a night.

Going to bed at 9-10PM will just result in me being awake at 3-4AM - tried that before and going to bed just didn't result in more hours of sleep.

What of other beyond members and their families - what kind of daily average sleep lengths do you require?

dirtsniffer
06-04-2017, 10:03 AM
6-8 hours on weekdays is usually what i get. Weekends is pretty constantly 9 hours. So i guess 9 hours is what my body prefers.

brucebanner
06-04-2017, 10:06 AM
I work out of town, shift work, 12 hour days. At work at I generally get 5-6 hours and function just fine. At home, on days off I usually get 7-9 hours.

I take a little longer to actually "wake up" at work but that's because I don't have much leisure time in the morning like I would during my days off.

I'd rather more sleep while at work but my days just don't really allow for more than the 6 hours at most, for me personally anyway.

Darkane
06-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by bruceod
I work out of town, shift work, 12 hour days. At work at I generally get 5-6 hours and function just fine. At home, on days off I usually get 7-9 hours.

I take a little longer to actually "wake up" at work but that's because I don't have much leisure time in the morning like I would during my days off.

I'd rather more sleep while at work but my days just don't really allow for more than the 6 hours at most, for me personally anyway.

I second this, almost exactly like me.

At home I sometimes stay in bed for up to 10 hours if time allows. Even if I'm not sleeping it helps with joint decompression and lying down is better for the joints than sitting.

Quite frankly the amount needed is varied widely from person to person. I'm also a strong believer sleep requirements and be trained and changed. Hence - night shift workers such as Bruce and myself.

NoPulp
06-04-2017, 10:21 AM
I wake up at 6am regardless of what time I go to bed now. I feel best around 7-8 hours... usually don't get that on weekends.

Tik-Tok
06-04-2017, 10:28 AM
8 hours is my optimum. If I sleep less, I feel like shit most of the day, and I can almost never sleep longer than that, my body just wakes me up, and keeps me awake.

Regardless of how long though, I always feel better rested if I wake up naturally, and not to an alarm clock, or outside noises.

SKR
06-04-2017, 11:20 AM
I usually get up on my own around 5-8, depending on when I go to bed. 7 hours is a pretty good number for me. I'm on call 24 hours so I can start my day at weird hours, and sometimes I can only get 3-6 hours of sleep, but there's a big difference in when that is. 3 hours of sleep and getting up at 6 is a lot better than getting 6 hours of sleep and getting up at 3.

Whether it's waking up naturally or by an alarm clock, I always take 1.5-2 hours to wake up and be ready to go.

XylathaneGTR
06-04-2017, 11:53 AM
I'm at a pretty consistent 6.5, though I'll stretch that to 9 every once in a while on a saturday.

It's terrible - I'm in a poor sleep cycle and burnt out...so it wears on you quite a bit.

J-hop
06-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
I'm at a pretty consistent 6.5, though I'll stretch that to 9 every once in a while on a saturday.

It's terrible - I'm in a poor sleep cycle and burnt out...so it wears on you quite a bit.

Same here. Sleep apnea and mild insomnia led to some pretty crappy sleep patterns for me. I'm a constant 6 during the week and 7-8 if the dogs let me on the weekends.

I wouldn't say I feel like shit all the time but more my standard for functioning decreases and I don't really notice until I have a good sleep. In the winter it's hard to judge but in the summer it's usually how long my project car sits up on blocks for = how rested or not I am.

brucebanner
06-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Hence - night shift workers such as Bruce and myself.

Oh I meant shift work as in 7 days on and 7 off. Not shift as in days then nights. Although that may be coming in my future in some capacity.

That said, in the past I sleep more during night shift than day shift.

max_boost
06-04-2017, 12:52 PM
8 hours plus for me. Love sleeping and naturally waking up. No kids no major responsibilities here other than work and doing whatever I want lol

D'z Nutz
06-04-2017, 12:57 PM
I usually get up around 7am regardless of what time I go to bed. As much as I'd like to, I just can't sleep in on weekends. This likely has more to do with the entire wall of my bedroom facing east, so the rising sun throws my circadian rhythm off. That combined with the fact that I habitually go to bed late, usually 12:30-1:00 on weekdays and 2:00 on weekends, I get about 5-6 hours of sleep.

That said, I often find I get my best sleep when I'm traveling. I can easily get 8-12 hours of sleep in a dark hotel room. I also have no problems sleeping on planes and car rides.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-04-2017, 12:57 PM
7.5 to 8 hours is optimum for me.

R!zz0
06-04-2017, 01:20 PM
7-8 hrs is good for me. Anything more than 8 gives me a bad headache.

ExtraSlow
06-04-2017, 01:34 PM
My body craves at least eight hours, and I REALLY notice if I get less or have a particularly bad night. One of the reasons having babies around the house was so tough at my place.
That being said, I've always been an early riser, so If I'm getting my eight hours, I need to be starting my bedtime routine pretty early. Makes it rough if I'm up late, because no matter what I was up late doing, I'll be out of bed before seven nearly every day. Makes for some awesome hangovers.

msommers
06-04-2017, 02:33 PM
I used to be 6-7 hours with a coffee in the morning. Now I'm about 8-9 without coffee and I don't crash in the afternoon.

I love coffee but after a month now it's really hard to get back to it since I sleep much better and less stomach issues without it.

But some days, I'm like an addict just itching for a craving and have to really push myself to say no :rofl:

03ozwhip
06-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

I second this, almost exactly like me.

At home I sometimes stay in bed for up to 10 hours if time allows. Even if I'm not sleeping it helps with joint decompression and lying down is better for the joints than sitting.

Quite frankly the amount needed is varied widely from person to person. I'm also a strong believer sleep requirements and be trained and changed. Hence - night shift workers such as Bruce and myself.

night shift worker here...for the last 5 days...its been a long time since I've worked nights and the first night was terrible but noe im getting a regular 6-7 hours the last few nights.

at home is no different. I wake up at 5 am mental alarm clock. never fails.

max_boost
06-04-2017, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I used to be 6-7 hours with a coffee in the morning. Now I'm about 8-9 without coffee and I don't crash in the afternoon.

I love coffee but after a month now it's really hard to get back to it since I sleep much better and less stomach issues without it.

But some days, I'm like an addict just itching for a craving and have to really push myself to say no :rofl: yea my stomach hasn't been taking to coffee well recently so i have been drinking tea haha

Lex350
06-04-2017, 07:31 PM
I get 6-7 hours on average but I sure would prefer 7-8. However when I eat well and exercise I noticed the quality of my sleep improves and that makes much more of a difference.

botox
06-05-2017, 06:58 AM
5-6 normally and my only sleep in day is Saturday and I will go 10-12hr's if I don't have to do anything. I'm fine for the most part but I think I need to change to 7-8 but I find it hard to go to bed at 9-10pm especially now when it just starts getting dark around 9.

davidI
06-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Tough to say as I'm a horrible sleeper.

I normally feel good if I spend 9 hours in bed but that often only means 4-7 hours of sleep.

flipstah
06-05-2017, 07:32 AM
7 hours. I just naturally wake up 7 hours after, regardless.

Disoblige
06-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by davidI

I normally feel good if I spend 9 hours in bed but that often only means 4-7 hours of sleep.
:bigpimp:

Aleks
06-05-2017, 07:53 AM
If I don't get 7 hours I feel like crap at work most of the day. Usually can't sleep more than 9 hours no matter what though.

LUDELVR
06-05-2017, 08:13 AM
It's funny because pre-kid back in my party days, I could go out until 2-3 in the AM and then go to work or wake up for 7 and it wouldn't take that long to get going but I could function fine for the rest of the day and not feel tired.

Now that I have a kid, I am in bed by 10 most nights including weekends and I'm up most mornings at 5-6 without the alarm clock or kid but still feel incredibly tired. I just can't feel well-rested and haven't for the past 2 years almost but it seems to be becoming the norm. I reckon that this is what happened when I was in the partying phase of my life and my body just grew accustomed to it so I'm thinking my body will start to feel that these past 2 years will be the norm and I'll adapt accordingly.

Damn kids!!!!:banghead:

flipstah
06-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by davidI
Tough to say as I'm a horrible sleeper.

http://i.giphy.com/ToMjGpuDlPJP9k5NHdC.gif

Tik-Tok
06-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
Now that I have a kid, I am in bed by 10 most nights including weekends and I'm up most mornings at 5-6 without the alarm clock or kid but still feel incredibly tired. I just can't feel well-rested and haven't for the past 2 years almost but it seems to be becoming the norm.

Yeap. Been my experience as well since we had our girl 2 years ago. Even the nights she doesn't wake up, I still don't feel as rested as I used to, before she was born.

LUDELVR
06-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeap. Been my experience as well since we had our girl 2 years ago. Even the nights she doesn't wake up, I still don't feel as rested as I used to, before she was born.

We just need to wait until this feels like the norm and we forgot what a good night's rest feels like! :nut:

bjstare
06-05-2017, 10:32 AM
9 hours in bed, lol. I haven't done that in quite some time.

Average for me is 6.5 hours. On weekends probably 7.5. Usually being hungry gets me out of bed in the morning. I feel like I'm wasting the day if I stay in bed for too long though.

asp integra
06-05-2017, 10:44 AM
I have a 1 month old at home so needless to say I am not getting anywhere near the amount of sleep I need. Been averaging 4ish hours a night the last few weeks.

Swank
06-05-2017, 04:05 PM
For me the amount doesn't matter as much as how I wake up (unless we're talking 3 hrs vs 10 hrs). I'll feel better after a 6 hour sleep when I wake up on my own than I will if my alarm gets me out of a deep sleep cycle after 9 hours, that always trashes my day. Weekends I aim for 10-11 hours, no alarm means my body calls the shots, and I don't argue with the body, Jerry. That's an argument you can't win.

RX_EVOLV
06-05-2017, 04:42 PM
I average 6-7 hours, partly because there's so much to do during the day.

Weekdays I go to bed at ~1-130am and wake up at 730am. so 6 hours ish.

Weekends I go to bed at ~2am and wake up whenever the sun comes out (Master bedroom on 2nd floor and no blinds..by choice..) so in the summer i'm up by like 7-8am anyway and winter maybe closer to 8-9am.

I can't sleep for more than 8 hours, even if I had partied til 5am the night before. I get headaches. I also can't take naps. Those give me headaches as well.

Neil4Speed
06-05-2017, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

We just need to wait until this feels like the norm and we forgot what a good night's rest feels like! :nut:

I have no "proof"/backup for this, but every once in a while you might need a catch up night. Its hard to do if you sleep later in the evening, but try to get to bed by 7:30 and sleep by 8. Wake up at 6-7, and you will feel way better.

I appreciate that its not always possible to do that, but might be worth a shot. I do it every 3 weeks or so and I feel great for the week.

davidI
06-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

http://i.giphy.com/ToMjGpuDlPJP9k5NHdC.gif

I wish that's what I meant. Insomnia is a bitch. :(

speedog
02-01-2018, 07:27 AM
When do you work? I’m usually winding down and getting ready for bed by then (when I’m not working a 15 hour day like I did today haha)

5-6 hours of sleep, been doing that for decades regardless of how long my day has been so going to Superstore at 9pm is no big deal. A sleep in on the weekend is 7:30am.

J-hop
02-01-2018, 08:42 AM
Read an news article on line that the per loaf amount was something in the range of $1.50 retail. Now I'm not sure if it was $1.50 at the start of all of this some 16 years ago but our family at probably an easy 3 loaves per week means a fair chunk of change went into these company's pockets. Even average out at $0.75, that would work out to almost $1,900 over those 16 years. These companies will most likely walk away with little more than a slap on the wrist to them.

Canada's Competition Bureau is now talking about looking into other grocery items as well because of how widespread this was in the industry.

Reading into it though, at least from what I saw not much if any of that $1.50 actually really got passed on to the customer. Retailers have apparently been selling bread at a net zero or loss for a long time.

5-6 hours of sleep, been doing that for decades regardless of how long my day has been so going to Superstore at 9pm is no big deal. A sleep in on the weekend is 7:30am.

Yea that’s not doable or even healthy for a lot of people.

firebane
02-01-2018, 08:44 AM
This whole bread thing just shows that as consumers we get screwed no matter and that we really have no say in how we spend our dollar.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea that’s not doable or even healthy for a lot of people.

I am in bed usually by 11pm and I am up around 5:30-6ish and on weekends up at 7-7:30. Not everyone needs a ton of sleep.

J-hop
02-01-2018, 08:48 AM
This whole bread thing just shows that as consumers we get screwed no matter and that we really have no say in how we spend our dollar.

- - - Updated - - -

I am in bed usually by 11pm and I am up around 5:30-6ish and on weekends up at 7-7:30. Not everyone needs a ton of sleep.

Yes I understand that. But the majority can’t survive (well) on 5-6 hours.

Hallowed_point
02-01-2018, 08:56 AM

I'm in bed by 11:30 or so and up before 6 at least 6 days per week. If Arnold can survive on 6 hours of sleep/night,
so can I.

Tik-Tok
02-01-2018, 10:49 AM
Lol who's Darrell?

Larry's brother. Also other Darrell's brother.

I've noticed the majority of people who claim they do fine on 5-6 hours every night, are also tightly wound, and very stubborn. Almost like they really do require more sleep but refuse to admit it (even to themselves)

J-hop
02-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Larry's brother. Also other Darrell's brother.

I've noticed the majority of people who claim they do fine on 5-6 hours every night, are also tightly wound, and very stubborn. Almost like they really do require more sleep but refuse to admit it (even to themselves)

Haha thanks, totally agree, I was going to say that but then figured I’d just have to let it go.

I’ve met very few people who when they say “I can function fine on 5 hours of sleep” I don’t laugh inside at how they are just backing up my point.

Problem is (like getting old) your perception of you being high functioning changes and you can’t tell as your cognitive functions diminish proportional to your lack of sleep. I mean lose enough sleep and all of a sudden an accord 6-6 seems like a muscle car :D

ExtraSlow
02-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Some people had lower cognitive functioning to start with, so they probably don't see much diminished capacity . . . . .

I however need 9.5 hours of sleep every night, like the truly special snowflake prima donna butterfly that I am.

dj_patm
02-01-2018, 04:32 PM
I'm starting to get serious with a girl who wakes up at 4:30 am to work out before work and goes to bed at between 9 and 10 pm so I'm trying to match her sleep cycle since I can work pretty much whatever hours I want.

It's been a brutal start.

Disoblige
02-01-2018, 04:41 PM
I however need 9.5 hours of sleep every night..
I know I shouldn't judge, but I do, lol. 9.5 hours is a lot of sleep. Maybe it's the quality of sleep that is an issue?

Maxx Mazda
02-01-2018, 05:23 PM
I can often get 10 hours a day of sleep if I need to. However I’m getting old now and am always up around 7-8am to take a piss or shit depending how many jalapeños I ate the night before. If I go back to sleep (even if I grab a tug) I seem to always feel worse afterward. Rolling out of bed at 10am with 11 hours or so under my belt I always seem to be more tired throughout the day than if I’d just stayed up.

ExtraSlow
02-01-2018, 05:38 PM
I know I shouldn't judge, but I do, lol. 9.5 hours is a lot of sleep. Maybe it's the quality of sleep that is an issue?
Sorry, trying to be funny again. Shit I'm bad at that.

firebane
02-01-2018, 05:42 PM
5-6 if I am lucky. Sometimes less due to weather, tinnitus or a restless night.

killramos
02-01-2018, 05:44 PM
I am big on sleep and target 8+ as a priority in my day.

I don't function well when low on sleep, I don't tend to sleep well either as a general rule which does not help matters.

Hallowed_point
02-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Haha thanks, totally agree, I was going to say that but then figured I’d just have to let it go.

I’ve met very few people who when they say “I can function fine on 5 hours of sleep” I don’t laugh inside at how they are just backing up my point.

Problem is (like getting old) your perception of you being high functioning changes and you can’t tell as your cognitive functions diminish proportional to your lack of sleep. I mean lose enough sleep and all of a sudden an accord 6-6 seems like a muscle car :D An Accord 6-6 is not a muscle car, but it’ll beat a non Coyote mustang no sweat. Sad! I should clarify that 6-6.5 hours sleep is perfect for me. Less than that and I feel more irritable and more high strung. More than that and I feel lazy and tail dragging. As I get older , I’ve realized that not all battles are worth fighting. Some people rejoice in being lazy and ignorant. I’m done with people who just don’t care or put in no effort and will put them on blast occasionally :)

speedog
02-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Some people had lower cognitive functioning to start with, so they probably don't see much diminished capacity . . . . .

I however need 9.5 hours of sleep every night, like the truly special snowflake prima donna butterfly that I am.

Cognitive functioning level, I'm about par with an earthworm so I really can't get much lower with respect to my capacity.

bleu
02-02-2018, 09:48 AM
I get about 7hrs of sleep. It is a bit interrupted, because, newborn...but still pretty darn happy with the amount I am getting!

ExtraSlow
02-02-2018, 10:07 AM
I get about 7hrs of sleep. It is a bit interrupted, because, newborn...but still pretty darn happy with the amount I am getting!
That's amazing with a newborn, you lucky devil.

Tik-Tok
02-02-2018, 10:19 AM
That's amazing with a newborn, you lucky devil.

Meanwhile his wife is staring daggers at him :rofl:

spikerS
02-02-2018, 10:37 AM
most days, I am good with 4-5 hours, but I can't do that for more than 3 or 4 nights before I need a 12 hours sleep. Normally, a 7-8 hour sleep night is perfect.

However, in my old age, I am becoming a very strong supporter of the afternoon hour nap on the couch. I love that shit. LOL

bleu
02-02-2018, 11:26 AM
Meanwhile his wife is staring daggers at him :rofl:

Ha! I am the wife.

We are extremely lucky that this one is so chill. I hear it’s not for long though. :(

C4S
02-02-2018, 02:07 PM
I wish I can sleep 6-7 hour a day ... so I can have more free time to play! :angel:

And if my wife only need to sleep 8-9 hour .... even better!

I guess chinese just sleep more? :banghead:

Gman.45
02-02-2018, 03:05 PM
I'm starting to get serious with a girl who wakes up at 4:30 am to work out before work and goes to bed at between 9 and 10 pm so I'm trying to match her sleep cycle since I can work pretty much whatever hours I want.

It's been a brutal start.

I bet that sucks. I had a roommate when I first moved to Calgary in 1994 who was obsessed with the whole "sleep only 1 hour" craze that was going on then. It surprised me how well he did with it actually, but it took a lot of time and discipline. Eventually he functioned at a high level on just a couple hours of sleep, at most 3, and worked at a brokerage, advancing very quickly during the day, and bartended at Senoir Frogs and Gargoyles at night.

As I've gotten older, I've found I need far less sleep. I used to need 7 to 8 hours to be at my best in my early 20s and before, but working in the business I did I had to work a lot of unpredictable hours, and that forced to adapt.

I think good quality sleep trumps good quantity big time too, and there are techniques and methods to increase quality, tons of great material out there regarding this.