PDA

View Full Version : GRAY pressure treated wood?!

Sonic
06-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Has anyone ever used gray pressure treated wood? How does it hold up, I'm assuming the color isn't natural...

I'm asking because only Lowes seems to carry it and I would love to build my entire fence in gray.

https://www.lowes.ca/search/pressure-grey.html?iterm=pressure-grey

The reviews in that link says it's more green than gray...

macman64
06-04-2017, 09:19 PM
We used the brown pressure treated. It is essentially just a way to mask the green from the treatment. We are very happy with it. It does still have spots that show the green but it is a much better base to start with.

I believe the brown and grey come from the same company.

Sonic
06-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Ya I've seen brown at the other big box stores, just wasn't sure why only Lowe's carries it.

I think I am just going to use the normal color, I am building the fence without neighbours yet so I don't want the new people to not like the gray. Plus our builder has built the back fence down the whole street so we want all 3 sides to match.

s_havinga
06-05-2017, 08:35 AM
I don't think that you can actually get grey yet in Alberta. I hear it is coming and available in the east right now. Last I checked it shows up online but it always out of stock.

kenny
06-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Guy across the street from me is using this for his fence. Looks nice for PT wood.

Kloubek
06-05-2017, 08:49 AM
That looks WAY better than the green crap.

JfuckinC
06-05-2017, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by s_havinga
I don't think that you can actually get grey yet in Alberta. I hear it is coming and available in the east right now. Last I checked it shows up online but it always out of stock.

You can for sure get it in alberta, I've seen it in store. They Grey is neat, looks like old barn wood to me..

I love the brown treated for fences though, I built a couple with it last year it just looks so much more complete when the fence is done.

88CRX
06-05-2017, 09:14 AM
The typical green crap goes gray after it dries out and weathers anyways :dunno:

Kloubek
06-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Yeah, eventually. But if I can have it looking better without waiting a year, isn't that better?

dirtsniffer
06-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Built one with the brown a few weeks ago.much better than the green

s_havinga
06-05-2017, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

You can for sure get it in alberta, I've seen it in store. They Grey is neat, looks like old barn wood to me..

I love the brown treated for fences though, I built a couple with it last year it just looks so much more complete when the fence is done.

Good to know, I bought the material for my front porch about a month ago and the Pro guy at Lowes told me they hadn't seen it yet. Too bad, I probably would have used it.

Sonic
06-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Ordered all brown last night from Reno Depot....20 percent of all orders, ends today!

I'm using the fast dry Quikrite, the one where you just pour it in the hole and dump water in it...$10.79 a bag at HD, 8.99 at Lowe's but no stock anywhere in Calgary... Why put it on the website then fuck!!

s_havinga
06-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Sonic
Ordered all brown last night from Reno Depot....20 percent of all orders, ends today!

I'm using the fast dry Quikrite, the one where you just pour it in the hole and dump water in it...$10.79 a bag at HD, 8.99 at Lowe's but no stock anywhere in Calgary... Why put it on the website then fuck!!

I would try get a price match at HD

roopi
06-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Yes Home Depot will beat the price by 10% and they have stock. So you are looking at $8.10/bag.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/customer-support/home-depot-price-guarantee.html

JfuckinC
06-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by s_havinga

Good to know, I bought the material for my front porch about a month ago and the Pro guy at Lowes told me they hadn't seen it yet. Too bad, I probably would have used it.

Which lowes? I saw it at 130th ave last summer even, me and my Bro-inlaw were checking it out when we were buying the brown to build their fence.

s_havinga
06-05-2017, 12:49 PM
I was at Westhills but I checked online and it said 0 inventory in Alberta.

Oh well.