PDA

View Full Version : DNA Test Kits

bh87
06-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Anyone tried one these? I've been reading some reviews on the biggest name ones: AncestryDNA, FamilyTreeDNA and 23andMe. All of them have their Pro's and Con's, which one did/would you pick and why?

Right now, leaning more towards the FamilyTreeDNA kit for the detailed results. AncestryDNA is a close section due to the "cousin matching" archive.

I realize there is a lot of skepticism around these and results can vary between test's. However, it interests me as my genealogy has a lot of gaps in it.

Mitsu3000gt
06-05-2017, 10:44 AM
I know a bunch of people who got 23andme done and mine is currently in progress.

It's kind of cool, I think it makes a really neat gift.

23andme IMHO is the best because it tells you way more than just ancestry. It tells you drug sensitivities and drug resistances, if you're immune to certain viruses, if you have markers for certain health conditions or genetic conditions, etc.

Parkinsons, breast cancer, and Alzheimers requires you to agree to unlock your results, because some people prefer not to know.

If you have any relatives or family members who have done it too, it will tell you (you can choose whether to share your name or not). It tells you your ethnicity makeup as well as your neanderthal percentage haha.

It also tells you a lot of things you already know about yourself, like if you have the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, or if sunlight makes you sneeze, but it's still kind of cool to read it all.

I've seen 4 or 5 kits now and they have all been 100% accurate as far as the owner could tell, which shouldn't be too surprising since it's your DNA haha. It gives you a ridiculous amount of information with full explanations for every little thing.

D'z Nutz
06-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Yeah I've been thinking of getting the 23andMe kit myself because of the genetic/medical information. One thing I already know about myself that doesn't require a DNA test: I'm a cheap Asian cause the only thing holding me back is the price :rofl:

This was the video I watched that made me want to try it out. They don't explicitly say they're the 23andMe kits, but people in the comments have identified them as so. Amy's Canadian, so the "maple syrup urine disease" is hilarious haha

dbiv6BAmdF4

JRSC00LUDE
06-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Wouldn't these things have the potential to have serious ramifications on your insurability? Who owns these companies and the information they obtain?

Mitsu3000gt
06-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Yeah I've been thinking of getting the 23andMe kit myself because of the genetic/medical information. One thing I already know about myself that doesn't require a DNA test: I'm a cheap Asian cause the only thing holding me back is the price :rofl:

They were on sale $100 off a couple weeks ago, I think for Father's Day. Maybe check again around Canada Day? Not sure haha.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Wouldn't these things have the potential to have serious ramifications on your insurability? Who owns these companies and the information they obtain?

You have to approve or deny a consent form for them to store your DNA for up to 10 years or something like that for research, so you can just select deny. There's always a risk I guess but if they were found to not be honoring that, the company wouldn't be around much longer.

I forget the name of the lab they use but it was printed on the kit they sent me. I think it's in the USA.

JRSC00LUDE
06-05-2017, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
You have to approve or deny a consent form for them to store your DNA for up to 10 years or something like that for research, so you can just select deny. There's always a risk I guess but if they were found to not be honoring that, the company wouldn't be around much longer.

I know it reeks of conspiracy theory thoughts but, even if a company like this didn't get caught for 5 years, imagine how much crazy info. they would have harvested and who knows to what end? Especially when you don't really know who owns the company.

Yes, I realize it sounds nuts but I can't help it with these, I don't fucking trust them. :nut: :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
06-05-2017, 11:03 AM

I know it reeks of conspiracy theory thoughts but, even if a company like this didn't get caught for 5 years, imagine how much crazy info. they would have harvested and who know to what end? Yes, I really it sounds nuts but I can't help it with these, I don't fucking trust them. :nut:

Haha I guess it's not for you then, nothing wrong with that.

I figure if someone wanted to steal my DNA there would be much easier ways. Or maybe having done this gives you plausible deniability if you ever get caught for something :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
06-05-2017, 11:05 AM

Haha I guess it's not for you then, nothing wrong with that.

I figure if someone wanted to steal my DNA there would be much easier ways. Or maybe having done this gives you plausible deniability if you ever get caught for something :rofl:

Ahhh, I still might do it - I'm really not that crazy. But these are the thoughts I have been thinking about it haha

killramos
06-05-2017, 11:21 AM
Be careful with asking questions you may not want to know the answer to. :nut:

Mitsu3000gt
06-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Be careful with asking questions you may not want to know the answer to. :nut:

Anything remotely sensitive is locked, and you have to agree like 3 times to see them. They are very clear that just because you have the marker for something, it doesn't mean you will get the condition, and also that if you don't have the marker, you can still get it. The markers have certain statistics linked to them though. I believe the breast cancer one is around 80% or more if you have the highest level marker, which is the only one that is pretty definitive.

As for finding out you were adopted or something, well that is a possibility haha.

Strider
06-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Wouldn't these things have the potential to have serious ramifications on your insurability?

This would be my concern, the life insurance companies don't even need to get their hands on the info... they just need to start asking on the forms whether you've ever done a DNA test and if it flagged any potential conditions.

mr2mike
06-05-2017, 11:47 AM

I know it reeks of conspiracy theory thoughts but, even if a company like this didn't get caught for 5 years, imagine how much crazy info. they would have harvested and who knows to what end? Especially when you don't really know who owns the company.

Yes, I realize it sounds nuts but I can't help it with these, I don't fucking trust them. :nut: :rofl:

ZenOps hack your account?

JRSC00LUDE
06-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike

ZenOps hack your account?

:rofl: that's why I said I know it sounds crazy! But I think the insurance ramifications specifically are a valid concern. The rest is a bit out there hahaha Thoughts?

Melinda
06-05-2017, 11:59 AM
We bought my mom the 23andme kit for her birthday. It was actually pretty neat, she was adopted so she doesn't know anything about her history. I've toyed with the idea of doing it too, but it's quite costly. No earth shattering discoveries, although we did find out a neurological condition I have actually can be found in a DNA test and my mom has a mild case of it, which explains where I got it from. That was the coolest part for me. And we found out the lady cancer gene isn't one she carries, so that's a plus :)

mr2mike
06-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Definitely not too crazy though if it was an unethical company.

NoSup4U
06-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
We bought my mom the 23andme kit for her birthday. It was actually pretty neat, she was adopted so she doesn't know anything about her history. I've toyed with the idea of doing it too, but it's quite costly. No earth shattering discoveries, although we did find out a neurological condition I have actually can be found in a DNA test and my mom has a mild case of it, which explains where I got it from. That was the coolest part for me. And we found out the lady cancer gene isn't one she carries, so that's a plus :)

I did 23andMe for the same reason, being adopted. I have zero interest in reaching out to my biologicals, so this was a good basic option.

It was really spot on with what they can tell about you (hair/ eye color, even down to my taste preference for cilantro). It was great finding out I have no genetic conditions passed along (from what they can test).

The ancestry portion is pretty neat as well. I always knew I was mainly of Irish decent, but very surprised to find a large chunk of Scandinavian.

It is a little expensive for some, but I highly recommend if you can afford it.

JudasJimmy
06-05-2017, 01:49 PM

I semi-agree. A privately owned dna database will be worth a pretty penny. Just a quick peak to see if there is a match, will cost a lot. Even if law informant can't legally use the info, at least they have a name. Or a private agency looking for a match that isn't bound by local laws, and could care less if you haven't agreed to share your info.

Star1995
06-05-2017, 06:31 PM
If I get the test done do I have to give them my real name? If you're worried about insurance, or them using this against you in the future just use an alias. Kind of like an online personality test, you don't give your real name there.:dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
06-05-2017, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Star1995
If I get the test done do I have to give them my real name? If you're worried about insurance, or them using this against you in the future just use an alias. Kind of like an online personality test, you don't give your real name there.:dunno:

Nope. You can call yourself whatever you want if you're worried about privacy. They don't verify anything. All you're paying for is the DNA analysis from the sample you send them, it could be anyone's, they couldn't care less whose it is. They are also very popular gifts, so the person buying it often isn't the person using the kit either.

schurchill39
06-05-2017, 11:27 PM
I really want to do this but my geneology is tracked pretty well as is my wifes but it would be neat to see all of the other stuff you can find out.

JRSC00LUDE
06-06-2017, 09:01 AM

Nope. You can call yourself whatever you want if you're worried about privacy. They don't verify anything. All you're paying for is the DNA analysis from the sample you send them, it could be anyone's, they couldn't care less whose it is. They are also very popular gifts, so the person buying it often isn't the person using the kit either.

That's awesome then lol :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
06-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39
I really want to do this but my geneology is tracked pretty well as is my wifes but it would be neat to see all of the other stuff you can find out.

What was interesting to a couple people I know who got it was they thought their genealogy was tracked pretty well, but it wasn't. Not saying yours isn't, but you might still be surprised.

bh87
06-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Thanx for all the responses, I am now thinking its worth it to pay the additional price and get the 23andme kit with the health determination/potential disease check.

schurchill39
06-08-2017, 02:51 AM

What was interesting to a couple people I know who got it was they thought their genealogy was tracked pretty well, but it wasn't. Not saying yours isn't, but you might still be surprised.

Yea I completely agree that that is a possibility. I think I may do it if for nothing but to learn the health aspects of it. I think its super interesting and may pick up a few kits as gifts.

Mitsu3000gt
06-08-2017, 08:55 AM
For those wondering, it does take a fairly long time. The kit itself comes very quickly. I sent my kit/sample in on May 23rd. The lab received it this morning, and it says 6-8 weeks for results. I'm looking at late July / early August and that is normal. So if you want the results back by a certain date, or if you want the gift to be the results rather than the kit, you will need to plan ahead :)

Mitsu3000gt
06-08-2017, 06:05 PM
$50 off right now for Father's day.

Star1995
06-08-2017, 06:57 PM
For those wondering, it does take a fairly long time. The kit itself comes very quickly. I sent my kit/sample in on May 23rd. The lab received it this morning, and it says 6-8 weeks for results. I'm looking at late July / early August and that is normal. So if you want the results back by a certain date, or if you want the gift to be the results rather than the kit, you will need to plan ahead :)

Maybe the test results come from China via Canada Post.:poosie:

davidI
06-09-2017, 09:30 AM
Is it better to have both of your parents take the tests than for you to take it yourself (i.e. more reliable data since it's one generation ahead) if you're after ancestry data?

ZenOps
06-09-2017, 09:39 AM
I'd get some gorilla samples and label it as "Rob Anders".

Really, can you trust a system where the Calgary Fertility Clinic itself refuses to mix races?

tonytiger55
06-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Has anyone done any genetic testing...?
I was looking at 23 and Me to see ancestry, health stuff out of curiosity.
They have a fathers day discount so its only $174.

Thoughts...?

JRSC00LUDE
06-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Paranoia confirmed!

https://www.ajc.com/news/look-dna-testing-that-the-suspected-golden-state-killer/dCNlbbdflrtkfKD4N2RrfP/

revelations
06-05-2018, 06:32 PM
If the DNA records get attached to a name and DOB, then thats GOING to be sent out to - god knows where - either willingly or unwillingly.

You should only have to give out a random code or numerical value, which they can then reference you with. The moment your ID gets tied to DNA, its game on for big data.

Xtrema
06-06-2018, 09:00 AM
Paranoia confirmed!

https://www.ajc.com/news/look-dna-testing-that-the-suspected-golden-state-killer/dCNlbbdflrtkfKD4N2RrfP/

Yup. The funny thing is, it wasn't even his DNA, it's his relative's.

Here's my take. DO NOT SUBMIT ANY DNA to any systems for record until it's life and death.

The health insurance industry is currently trying to get rid of the Genetic Privacy Law via Quebec government's lawsuit against the Feds:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/03/canada-s-new-genetic-privacy-law-causing-huge-headaches-justin-trudeau
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/genetic-non-discrimination-act-challenge-quebec-1.4658432

So this is what's protecting us for now:
https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/privacy-topics/health-genetic-and-other-body-information/02_05_d_69_gen/

But the problem with data is that, you can never unknow something. If life/health insurers get a hold of your data and the law is repealed or changed in anyway, you premium and coverage will suffer.

Ekliptix
06-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Can you submit the test using a false name?

rage2
06-06-2018, 01:47 PM
Can you submit the test using a false name?
Yes, but they'll have your real name and mailing address anyways when you pay with your credit card.

Ekliptix
06-06-2018, 02:22 PM
Yes, but they'll have your real name and mailing address anyways when you pay with your credit card.

Assuming I am buying this as a gift for someone else, I use my CC any mailing address, there should be no connection between the buyer and the person supplying the DNA. Right?

sabad66
06-06-2018, 03:00 PM
Assuming I am buying this as a gift for someone else, I use my CC any mailing address, there should be no connection between the buyer and the person supplying the DNA. Right?

In theory cops could then go to you and ask you to tell them who you gifted it to, potentially even make you testify under oath.

revelations
06-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Sounds like the best approach would be to provide a fake name and fake DOB and then pay with one CC - that could be used for many people.

Heck, I wonder if they accept virtual CCs.

rage2
06-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Sounds like the best approach would be to provide a fake name and fake DOB and then pay with one CC - that could be used for many people.

Heck, I wonder if they accept virtual CCs.
Then they'll track you by your IP address or something stupid. If they really wanted to find you, they probably can unless you go really out of your way, like buy a gift CC in a completely different city, while using multiple anonymizers to purchase and view the results, and using a PO box in yet another city with a broken security camera purchased with another virtual CC to get the kit mailed to you, and picked up while wearing gloves.

Way too much work to figure out if you have some bastard brother out there. :rofl:

ExtraSlow
06-06-2018, 05:58 PM
I have enough brothers that I already consider bastards to want to learn about any more....

Tej.S
06-06-2018, 07:16 PM
Relevant: https://venturebeat.com/2013/09/20/how-to-use-23andme-without-giving-up-your-genetic-privacy/

Sugarphreak
06-06-2018, 07:52 PM

rage2
06-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Another workaround, fly to EU and do the test in the EU. Once you get everything you want out of it, trigger a GDPR erasure request. 30 days, everything is deleted for good, as long as there isn't a legal obligation (ie warrant) during that time.

GDPR is serious business, so they have to comply.

GQBalla
06-07-2018, 10:25 AM
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/5/17430146/dna-myheritage-ancestry-accounts-compromised-hack-breach

revelations
06-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Then they'll track you by your IP address or something stupid. If they really wanted to find you, they probably can unless you go really out of your way, like buy a gift CC in a completely different city, while using multiple anonymizers to purchase and view the results, and using a PO box in yet another city with a broken security camera purchased with another virtual CC to get the kit mailed to you, and picked up while wearing gloves.

Way too much work to figure out if you have some bastard brother out there. :rofl:

I doubt that they would take it that far - most people, like 98%, will provide their full info unaware of any of this, or with the weak excuse of "I have nothing to hide"...... until 10 years later legislation gets passed and is grandfathered into the database allowing big data access.

The DNA companies wont have enough of an incentive to go after the very small % of intelligent people, who can see where this is heading.

tonytiger55
06-07-2018, 01:18 PM
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/5/17430146/dna-myheritage-ancestry-accounts-compromised-hack-breach

What could someone do with this data..?

Xtrema
06-07-2018, 04:26 PM
What could someone do with this data..?

Confirm that you have genetic material tested at that facilities and start serving warrant for access under a law suit? May be a paternity case?

May be gain access to alter the DNA data stored to win a case?

But really, any hacked data will have some sort of value and probably traded in the dark web.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/heres-how-much-your-personal-information-is-selling-for-on-the-dark-web/

I guess access to DNA website would be sold as medical data.

bignerd
06-15-2018, 11:41 PM
I have read a few reviews (not of 23 and me) where people ordered and paid for tests, sent in the results, then they were lost... no refund. The reviewer I read actually had this happen to them twice from two different DNA testing companies.

CompletelyNumb
06-16-2018, 12:52 AM
Chargebacks are easy peasy. Mail isnt always reliable.

jwslam
07-16-2018, 12:25 PM
Bump

https://globalnews.ca/news/4333621/april-tinsley-indiana-cold-case-john-miller/

The affidavit shows that the arrest was made after DNA testing, which was arranged by Det. Brian Martin earlier this year.
Investigators sent DNA recovered from the Tinsley case to the Parabon Nanolabs. The lab used its public genealogy databases to flag two possible suspects — brothers.

D'z Nutz
07-16-2018, 05:03 PM
23andMe kit, $130 for Prime Day

https://www.amazon.ca/23andMe-DNA-Test-Ancestry-collection/dp/B01CUVPFZ6