PDA

View Full Version : Blenders

msommers
06-05-2017, 12:30 PM
The future of blenders potentially. The design of it is really cool actually, not sure how it actually blends though!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1474988352/millo-the-worlds-smartest-smoothie-maker?ref=dxtnqp&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=mobdesk&utm_campaign=kslive&utm_content=longad1

flipstah
06-05-2017, 02:32 PM
What a fancy Magic Bullet

rage2
06-05-2017, 02:41 PM
at 10x the price no less. I guess it's quieter haha.

Mitsu3000gt
06-05-2017, 03:21 PM
Blade speed is really slow compared to professional blenders (less than half), that's probably one way it stays quieter. It does not look robust to me at all, like it would bounce all over the place trying to deal with tough/frozen goods. In one of the GIFs on the webpage, it looks like it starts to move around on the table with milk and a banana in it haha.

There's at least a dozen decent personal blenders on the market, seems kind of useless and overpriced to me.

flipstah
06-05-2017, 03:30 PM
There are some objects in life that has reached maximum efficiency unless it involves lasers or something. I feel that the blender is one of them.

Seth1968
06-05-2017, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
In one of the GIFs on the webpage, it looks like it starts to move around on the table with milk and a banana in it haha.

I noticed that as well. Even though everyone wants to see it in use, the promo video goes out of its way to not show it in use.

Seems to be a useless, weak, techno-product. They've tried to fix something that isn't broke, and charge a hell of a lot more for it.

botox
06-05-2017, 07:19 PM
His gf/wife/actress is hot :). And the blender just seems gimmicky and just good for small soft stuff. what's the point of starting/stopping it with your phone other than showing off? I guess you can fill it before you go to work and when you are 1 minute from home start it after working 8hrs you can come home to a delicious room temp smoothie.

speedog
06-05-2017, 08:04 PM
C'mon, we all know that beyond ballers will just have to get one of these.

jacky4566
06-05-2017, 10:11 PM
4 Smoothies a day!! That man could grease a diesel with those shits.

But really this is just more marketing bullshit. The only reason blenders are so noisy is because they still use old school (read cheap) brushed motors. If you want a quiet blender then pony up for a brushless unit.

In fact they have made an even shittier blender with the "air gap" The magnet drive will have 0 torque for ice or frozen stuff. Not even looking at the cost, this this has:
- Tiny motor
- No torque from the air gap
- Needless IoT, what is it doing with an M4 processor?
- It takes 3 button presses to start the thing?
- Blade shaft seal will leak into some plastic bearing housing.

Listen to this unit. The only noise is from the blades:

u5Q75uMY7TU

please dont give this man money.
/rant

D'z Nutz
06-05-2017, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
please dont give this man money.
/rant

That's pretty much how I feel about anything on Kickstarter.

msommers
06-06-2017, 12:07 AM
That brushless blender is fucking sweet!

Strider
06-06-2017, 09:06 AM
In one of the GIFs on the webpage, it looks like it starts to move around on the table with milk and a banana in it haha.

The video demonstrations are even worse. Want to blend a dozen raspberries? throw them into the blender and add a full pint of water :banghead: Sure, if you want "smoothies" that are nothing more than lightly coloured/flavoured water.

schocker
06-06-2017, 09:26 AM
Blendtec 4 lyfe :burnout:

flipstah
06-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Meanwhile, I still have my Osterizer from the 60s.

Neil4Speed
06-06-2017, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Meanwhile, I still have my Osterizer from the 60s.

http://static.thefrisky.com/uploads/2011/03/11/sad_hipster_031111_m-400x300.jpg

Mitsu3000gt
06-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Strider

The video demonstrations are even worse. Want to blend a dozen raspberries? throw them into the blender and add a full pint of water :banghead: Sure, if you want "smoothies" that are nothing more than lightly coloured/flavoured water.

Haha good point. That was quite a bit of liquid, making it a much easier job.

How long have people been trying to compete with the Vitamix now? I tried hard to find something else and I ended up with a Vitamix. Nothing has been able to compete after all this time. It seems to be the only true commercial grade blender that is commonly available.

Sugarphreak
06-06-2017, 10:51 AM

Seth1968
06-06-2017, 11:02 AM
I could never justify spending $600 on a blender.

I use a Ninja that is built well and has the power to crush ice and easily blend frozen fruit.

The regular price is $150.00 but often goes on sale. Right now it's $99.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ninja-1000w-professional-blender-0432653p.html#srp

flipstah
06-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

There's a difference between a hipster and broke af. I'm the latter. :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
06-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
I could never justify spending $600 on a blender.

I use a Ninja that is built well and has the power to crush ice and easily blend frozen fruit.

The regular price is $150.00 but often goes on sale. Right now it's $99.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ninja-1000w-professional-blender-0432653p.html#srp

Have you ever tackled a whole frozen lemon by chance?

Seth1968
06-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Have you ever tackled a whole frozen lemon by chance?

What, are you trying to make me even more bitter?:)

JRSC00LUDE
06-06-2017, 04:36 PM

What, are you trying to make me even more bitter?:)

No, serious question lol I freeze lemons and grate them when I want some zest but want a blender that will decimate a whole one into paste.

Seth1968
06-06-2017, 04:38 PM
So far the largest I've blended is giant frozen strawberries. I'll freeze a lemon and let you know how it blends.

Seth1968
06-06-2017, 07:20 PM
I froze a lime for 3 hours and the Ninja pulverized it into a paste.

speedog
06-06-2017, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I've been using a Robert Irvine I bought in a rush when I thought Air Miles was going to kill all of my points. Basically the magic bullet idea as well.

It is 300 watts, noisy when it is running, but it works well. Plus it was free.... so there is that.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61jyDgzzsWL._SY355_.jpg

Oh, it wasn't free - you paid for it one way or another.

JRSC00LUDE
06-06-2017, 11:25 PM
I froze a lime for 3 hours and the Ninja pulverized it into a paste.

Freeze one for 3 days and I'll be sold!

msommers
06-06-2017, 11:31 PM

Haha good point. That was quite a bit of liquid, making it a much easier job.

How long have people been trying to compete with the Vitamix now? I tried hard to find something else and I ended up with a Vitamix. Nothing has been able to compete after all this time. It seems to be the only true commercial grade blender that is commonly available.

Mark I thought you really enjoyed the Ninja? What prompted the switch?

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Mark I thought you really enjoyed the Ninja? What prompted the switch?

The Ninja was OK, I think I tried too hard to convince myself it was just as good because $600 is a lot for a blender. I had the best Ninja at the time which was the KS1200. It doesn't even have close to the same power, despite a similar wattage rating. It's a cheap Chinese motor, construction, etc. It does the job for a basic smoothie but if you want to pulverize things like seeds, almonds, etc. make (hot) soup, or use the tamper to make nut butters or ice cream or something, the Vitamix is by far the best platform for that. I picked up a Vitamix Pro 300 with AirMiles before they stripped their online store of everything worthwhile about 3 years ago. I was making some fairly complex smoothies and they got very noticeably better, with zero grit/sediment.

The Ninja sucked for thicker smoothies, or thick icy dessert smoothies, it wouldn't mix as well despite having blades all the way to the top of the container. I'd always have to open it and add liquid or push the sides down with a spoon or something. It did make a good Margarita though, as with enough liquid it did an OK job of ice crushing. Some people have had had the blades chip off into their crushed ice though which was concerning. Comparing the blades on the Vitamix vs the Ninja is night & day.

I tried all the attachments for the Ninja, like the cookie dough maker, bread dough maker, etc. and thy were all garbage. Outside the ideal conditions on the infomercials, they suck. You are far better off just using the traditional mixing tools for the job. There was also some disclaimer on it that you weren't supposed to run it at full power for too long.

The Vitamix motor has way more torque, is completely variable, and spins the blades to 37,000 RPM. The build quality is not in the same league, you can see why they are used commercially. The Ninja's are like 1/4 the price but there really is a big difference if you aren't just making basic smoothies.

Seth1968
06-07-2017, 08:47 AM
^ Wow, I haven't experienced any of that with mine.

rage2
06-07-2017, 09:41 AM
I hate smoothies, but kids love them, so I'm forced to use one. Had so many different blenders in the last 2 years, and Vitamix is the king. Throw in whatever frozen fruits, minimal juice, and it blends so smooth that nothing is stuck in the strainer when cleaning it. Any extra smoothie goes into popsicle makers into the freezer as well, no chunks of fruit while eating smoothie popsicles.

Only complaint from the kids? It's too loud and they can't hear their iPad haha. Simple solution, iPads banned. :rofl:

Sugarphreak
06-07-2017, 01:44 PM

riander5
06-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Why get this when you could get a vitamix or blendtec

Maybe the best ones arent edgy enough. You need to supply your own shaker / bottle.!

88CRX
06-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Have a Blendtec (similar to vitamix i think?) and I'll never go back to a blade style ninja or other. Blendtec destroys anything you toss in it.

Only downside is its really loud.

silvercivicsir
06-29-2017, 08:29 AM
I have multiples of both the blendtec and vitamix.... If i could only pick one, I would get a Vitamix > Blendtec because of the tamper. To be a true beyond blender baller, you gotta have both on the counter at all times :)

nismodrifter
12-14-2023, 01:43 PM
Bumping this. Wife has always wanted a Vitamix. Will be good for smoothies and things that she likes to make.

Which model is everyone using? Most expensive professional series 750?

you&me
12-14-2023, 01:56 PM
Bumping this. Wife has always wanted a Vitamix. Will be good for smoothies and things that she likes to make.

This may be counter to DBP mantra, but whatever Vitamix Costco is selling because it'll still liquify a 2x4, you can buy other accessories elsewhere and in the event you've tried to liquify too many 2x4s, you can always take it back.

nismodrifter
12-14-2023, 01:59 PM
This may be counter to DBP mantra, but whatever Vitamix Costco is selling because it'll still liquify a 2x4, you can buy other accessories elsewhere and in the event you've tried to liquify too many 2x4s, you can always take it back.

I don't go to Costco.

Disoblige
12-14-2023, 02:12 PM
Blendtec has no tamper? Dealbreaker. Tamper is so useful for so many things.

msommers
12-14-2023, 02:18 PM
Blendtec has no tamper? Dealbreaker. Tamper is so useful for so many things.

Keep it PG please

ganesh
12-14-2023, 03:08 PM

We have the older 6500 Series. It works as advertised and no issues at all.
Wife and Daughter loves it. They make all kind of smoothie out of it.
If there is one complaint , it is little too noisy to my liking.

riander5
12-14-2023, 03:19 PM
My 10 year old vitamix still going strong.

Dropped an avacado pit in it once by accident and it made funny noises for a few weeks after...but then somehow sorted itself out. Vitamix ftw

ThePenIsMightier
12-14-2023, 04:11 PM
I don't go to Costco.

But just go. I'm with you&me on this. It'll grind the Hope Diamond into single carats for all your bitches.

Pacman
12-14-2023, 04:11 PM
I bought the Blendtec because it doesn't have a tamper. I don't see the tamper as a selling point.....more of a downside to me. I just toss all my stuff in the Blendtec and it whips it up. Suspect the "wildside" jug design with that one flat corner may contribute but it could also be a marketing gimmick. I do prefer the old school metal switches on the Vitamix though vs the touchpad on the blendtec.

tha_bandit
12-14-2023, 09:05 PM
i recently keep hearing about this beast blender at costco, apparently good?

schocker
12-14-2023, 10:09 PM
i recently keep hearing about this beast blender at costco, apparently good?

I saw that americas test kitchen liked it and recommended it. I have look at it as with my blendtec you need to put in so much stuff for it to blend nicely.

CompletelyNumb
12-14-2023, 10:17 PM
Costco Vitamix is the move.

phreezee
12-15-2023, 10:13 AM
I bought the Blendtec because it doesn't have a tamper. I don't see the tamper as a selling point.....more of a downside to me. I just toss all my stuff in the Blendtec and it whips it up. Suspect the "wildside" jug design with that one flat corner may contribute but it could also be a marketing gimmick. I do prefer the old school metal switches on the Vitamix though vs the touchpad on the blendtec.

This, I just want to press the button and be done. Blendtec does sell a peanut butter jar with a tamper though if that is your use case.
My Blendtec is 10 years old and 1000+ blends and still going strong. I used the 7 year warranty to replace some jars as well. Great company and easy to deal with.

nismodrifter
12-15-2023, 01:54 PM
I bought the Vitamix Professional 750. Wife has been wanting one for ages but has always hesitated because of price point. Xmas shopping done.

Will report back on blending of 2x4's.

you&me
12-15-2023, 03:58 PM
I bought the Vitamix Professional 750. Wife has been wanting one for ages but has always hesitated because of price point. Xmas shopping done.

Will report back on blending of 2x4's.

Not recommended if you didn't buy at Costco :D