PDA

View Full Version : Auto fads that can just stay away

speedog
06-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Auto fads that can just stay away - they were bad then and they'd be bad again.

One of the worst I can remember were the colored bent plexiglass bug deflectors that people would mount on the hood of their half tons to look like a big truck - I remember people making them in high school shop class and then drilling two holes in their truck's hood and mounting them with a couple of bolts - dumbest thing ever but at the same time, it would be kind of cool to see a 70's era half ton with one mounted on it at a meet.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkqo1qkRiPQJa508nAZAGjLPCBVawSbLSYg81QkPVDbq94EXkhCw

What auto fad would you like to see stay away/not have a retro resurgence?

Sonic
06-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Chrome.... And flat black Plasti dip

Sentry
06-11-2017, 02:51 PM
Louvers
http://www.andysautosport.com/images/astra_hammond/10516.jpg

"Muscle car rake"
http://bangshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/nova1.jpeg

VANS!
http://i.imgur.com/Tdiprhk.png

AE92_TreunoSC
06-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Light bars and HID's, I don't care what you do to your car, but leave my retinas alone.

TomcoPDR
06-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Car lash

Maxt
06-11-2017, 04:24 PM
stick figure family stickers...

Vans, are friggin cool..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U2BC5sOltU

AndyL
06-11-2017, 04:45 PM
bosozoku /thread

70s Vans rock!

I'd say the Avanti but that thing predates the 70s by a good while if I recall

tirebob
06-11-2017, 04:48 PM
70's vans are awesome!!!

ExtraSlow
06-11-2017, 05:03 PM
I think Sentry is confused, those three trends are awesome!

btimbit
06-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Chrome.... And flat black Plasti dip

What about plasti dipping over chrome?

dino_martini
06-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Blacked out/smoked tail lights and head lights. A trend I will never understand.

JRSC00LUDE
06-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Car lash

Come on, that's the only way to make a Ford truck look manly.

shakalaka
06-11-2017, 06:27 PM
I hate the people that put HID's in the cars without proper setup that blind people in front of you. Most of them are jacked up trucks that are high up on the road to begin with.

relyt92
06-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Light bars and HID's, I don't care what you do to your car, but leave my retinas alone.

I hate the people that put HID's in the cars without proper setup that blind people in front of you. Most of them are jacked up trucks that are high up on the road to begin with.

Definitely this. Most other things look dumb but don't affect anyone. Can't stand it.

craigcd
06-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Single windshield wiper mod :)

Masked Bandit
06-11-2017, 08:36 PM
I'm going to go the other way and post something I would like to see come back around, neon underglow lights. The first time around I was too broke-ass to A) have a decent car and B) spend any money on mods. I remember thinking that looked so cool when done properly.

dj_rice
06-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Car eye lashes.

Those LED strips, everyones using them for DTRL's now on everything

SKR
06-11-2017, 11:27 PM
Blacked out/smoked tail lights and head lights. A trend I will never understand.

Smoked taillights is one of the first things I do. Hate the look of a big dumb red taillight. All my vehicles are black though, so I might not do it if I had any other colors.

D'z Nutz
06-11-2017, 11:51 PM

People still do this? I honestly don't recall seeing it in well over a decade.

I never understood that rusted hood fad.

craigcd
06-12-2017, 12:03 AM
People still do this? I honestly don't recall seeing it in well over a decade.

I never understood that rusted hood fad.

I haven't seen this in ages either and hope it never returns....... but the question was "What auto fad would you like to see stay away/not have a retro resurgence?" :devil:

I actually like the rusted hood thing on the right car, mostly old VW's I guess!

NoSup4U
06-12-2017, 07:30 AM
I'm going to go the other way and post something I would like to see come back around, neon underglow lights. The first time around I was too broke-ass to A) have a decent car and B) spend any money on mods. I remember thinking that looked so cool when done properly.

I was going to post this as the thing I hope never returns. It has to be the car equivalence of frosted tips, we all had/ liked it at the time, but will never admit to it now ;)

NoPulp
06-12-2017, 07:41 AM
Tinted taillights.

Plastidip.

Poor wrap jobs.

Truck "Balls".

Spinners.

Dunk.

EXTREME stretched tires and camber - like ridiculous amount.

Straight piped garbage sounding exhaust.

killramos
06-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Hondas without mufflers

Hallowed_point
06-12-2017, 07:49 AM

I think if you do it in a subtle way it can look nice. Trouble is, a lot of guys take a 95 civic or an 06 cobalt and make the taillights completely black so that you can barely even see their brake lights.
That's tacky and dangerous.

Hallowed_point
06-12-2017, 07:53 AM
I also hate the rusted hood thing.

Tow hooks on non track cars.

Grapefruit launcher exhaust tips.

Stickers in general.

ianmcc
06-12-2017, 08:45 AM
No...

Mixed styles-rat rod and modern wheels.

Painted stock rims.

Donk.

Musclecars with oversize wheels.

Fiberglass car audio

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Hondas without mufflers

Hey now, my Honda sounds great without a muffler. Just a tad loud, even with the custom silencer I had made for it.

(It's a track car)

Xtrema
06-12-2017, 08:47 AM
I expect all the rice mods will be back with a vengeance in 10-15 years when we retires.

Just like the muscle car and Harley craze of the last decade when boomers retires.

ianmcc
06-12-2017, 08:54 AM
More no...

Painted interior trim.

Coloured engine bay hoses and looms.

Lifted truck tow mirrors.

Chrome trimmed mud flaps.

NoPulp
06-12-2017, 10:05 AM
I forgot one! BLACK HOODS! (on a non black car) It doesn't look like carbon fiber, it isn't cool.

Toms-SC
06-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Stance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqm8mBLbsek

Sentry
06-12-2017, 11:16 AM
To those saying 70s custom vans are awesome, I don't see any of you painting gold sparkly murals on your vehicles.

alien
06-12-2017, 12:20 PM
No:

DTM tips (especially the cheap ones that just bent exhaust pipes upwards)

Half tinted driver and passenger windows

Tinted windows that faded in to mirror/colours.

Vinyl car bras

Supertrapp exhausts on cars/trucks

I also agree that 70's vans are sweet. What would custom airbrushing would cost to do something like that? It would be awesome picking up the kids at school in one.

ae92gts
06-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Windshield decals, especially the decals on the lower half of the windshield... the one that obstructs the drivers view... never understood the appeal to not being able to see properly.

I also think 70's vans are awesome! anyone go to vantopia this year?

Maxx Mazda
06-12-2017, 01:58 PM
The chrome/coloured and gradient window tint

Abeo
06-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Current fads I could do without:

Coal rolling
"twerk it, mylie" or other stickers of the day
stanced cars
Paul Walker anything
rat rods
faux patina
drift missiles
straight pipes
brand whores (wheel brand whores are the worst)

get off my lawn

raceman6135
06-12-2017, 01:59 PM
No more Lambo doors that didn't come on the vehicle from the factory:

https://www.carid.com/images/pages/lambo-doors/lambo-doors-hummer-h2.jpg

TomcoPDR
06-12-2017, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=Toms-SC;4664512]Stance.

What are those envelope loop tie buttons used for? The ones between bumper and fender? Keeping the bumper from scattering across the road when you hit bumps?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/284C8B0B-FAC1-4B4B-805B-9803B61A30D7_zps2a4f7xgv.jpg

killramos
06-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Yea one the best ones is spending more on wheels than your car is worth.

NoPulp
06-12-2017, 02:11 PM
What are those envelope loop tie buttons used for? The ones between bumper and fender? Keeping the bumper from scattering across the road when you hit bumps?

I believe they are quick release. So you can take the bumper cover off easily when the car is too low to clear an obstacle.

If that doesn't sound dumb enough, the worst part is 99% of them are just for appearance... because you know having your sister's hairbands on your car look cool.

spikerS
06-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Current fads I could do without:

Coal rolling

get off my lawn

+1 out of all the dumbest things I have ever witnessed, this is by far, the worst.

Seth1968
06-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Shit loaded up on the dash and/or hanging from the rear view mirror.

ercchry
06-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Vans are not dead... apparently

http://www.vanditsvc.ca/?page_id=225

RickDaTuner
06-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Demon eyes... Colored HIDs... running retarded wheel spacers with incorrect wheel offsets.. haha im getting old for hating on the younger generation of tuners

speedog
06-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Here I was thinking that people would post past auto fads that were more than 2-10 years ago - HID's, rolling coal, lashes, stance, etc are still very much a thing, how can they be a retro thing you wouldn't like to see come back when they even haven't gone away. The louvers are most definitely a retro fad and one that shouldn't come back. Boogie vans, cool and hell I'd like one as a work vehicle but I'm not sure they should come back. Let's go back a bit further than 2-10 years ago.

Here's one - big ass CB radio antennas and CB radios, worthy of a come back or not? How about under dash mounted equalizers?

heavyD
06-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Demon eyes... Colored HIDs... running retarded wheel spacers with incorrect wheel offsets.. haha im getting old for hating on the younger generation of tuners

Young generation tuning fads were terrible when we were young and they are terrible now. One difference today is that cars are so much better stock than they were say in the 90's. Today there really is no such thing as a performance mod that isn't a tune. Exhausts and intakes are nothing but noise makers and bling and suspension mods are for looks. Going back a few decades where cars had 4x4 stances there was some merit to lowering springs, coilovers, etc and manufacturers usually left some performance on the table so a downpipe and exhaust could actually free up a little bit of power in a turbocharged engine and cars like Mustangs could actually make a bit of power with just an intake. Nowadays those mods are pretty well useless in most cars. That said there's been a bit of a shift to lighting as it seems the current generation really likes their lights as bright as possible as they even make their fog lights blinding (defeats the purposed of fog lights of course).

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-13-2017, 08:46 AM
HIDs in non projector HID housings. I admit at one point I was briefly guilty of this but fuck does it ever annoy me now.

G-ZUS
06-13-2017, 10:18 AM
surprised no one mentioned park bench spoilers

http://i44.tinypic.com/161i5iv.jpg

RickDaTuner
06-13-2017, 11:54 AM
We've come a long way for sure... lol

J-hop
06-13-2017, 02:44 PM
-Gonna rag on HIDs in reflector housings as everyone else did. The claim it's for output is moronic sorry, and it makes any car look broke ass.
-Tinted tails
-Rusted hoods, especially in the VW scene, holy fak it never looked good jerry stop sendin it.
-Fart cans are still hanging around too. After buying a v8 I'm even a bit embarrassed my vr6 has an apr exhaust which is pretty tame and tasteful by fart can standards

Edit: forgot one of my favourites that seems to be making a comeback - huge lifts on trucks with stock size tires

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-13-2017, 04:59 PM
Aftermarket fender flares on trucks with stock wheels and tires.

Swank
06-21-2017, 01:23 PM

It's a lot better now with LED strips instead, the neon tubes were never long enough. I felt the same as you did and made it a reality once I could finally afford it. Sure I was way too old and the fad was long dead but I always wanted it, loved it, and got a lot of compliments on it. I tied it into my dome light so it would fade on/off when I arm/disarm the alarm. It was just for show in parking lots, never drove with it on. I had it on for about 7 years and took it off last year as some LEDs were failing and one of the sides tore off on a rotten speed bump.

hampstor
06-21-2017, 01:35 PM
I had to take a look at the old 'remember your roots' thread to remind myself of some fads which i'm happy are gone... (yes i'm guilty of some of these ones).

- chicken wire mesh grills
- clear taillights with "red" (pink) bulbs
- giant wings

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/244716-Remember-your-roots-people!-Calgary-car-scene-01?highlight=remember+roots

speedog
06-21-2017, 06:35 PM
-Gonna rag on HIDs in reflector housings as everyone else did. The claim it's for output is moronic sorry, and it makes any car look broke ass.
-Tinted tails
-Rusted hoods, especially in the VW scene, holy fak it never looked good jerry stop sendin it.
-Fart cans are still hanging around too. After buying a v8 I'm even a bit embarrassed my vr6 has an apr exhaust which is pretty tame and tasteful by fart can standards

Edit: forgot one of my favourites that seems to be making a comeback - huge lifts on trucks with stock size tires

HID's and tinted tails are still around, don't think they ever disappeared for any length of time.

blownz
06-22-2017, 12:54 PM

Thankfully I haven't seen that in quite some time. Think it was back in the 90's when all the guys with Japanese cars were doing it. lol

Some of the fads I have always hated and still do are:

Huge aluminum wings that serve no purpose
Any kind of bolt on scope or vent that again serves no purpose
Chrome stickers (usually on B pillars, door handles, bottoms of doors, etc)
Decals of every brand of part on your car (it looks ugly, not one give a f, so don't do it unless actually sponsored)
Rusted or different colored panels on purpose (seems to be a VW thing)
Crazy wheel colors like lime green or pink, sure you are an attention whore, but there has to be a better way
Colored mudlfaps mounted at an angle (seems to be a Subaru thing, but I have seen others as well)
Stretched tires
Huge negative camber (often with the stretched tires)
Exhausts mounted at stupid angles or sticking far out from the car
Donks

And tons more I am sure lol

J-hop
06-22-2017, 05:02 PM
HID's and tinted tails are still around, don't think they ever disappeared for any length of time.

yea and they can GTFO.

Another one, not a mod but people free revving off the limiter in the tims parking lot (cars and bikes). So smrt and sound so gerd!!!!

jacky4566
06-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Touch screen volume buttons. Just fuck off I want to make the music quieter so I can spot a parking spot. :rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
06-27-2017, 09:21 PM
bolt on fender flare kits

Nebor
02-17-2018, 02:44 PM
how does plasti dip holds to chrome ?

Mitsu3000gt
02-17-2018, 06:36 PM
Literally any modification to a N/A 4cyl vehicle seems like a good thing to avoid.

J-hop
02-17-2018, 07:00 PM
Literally any modification to a N/A 4cyl vehicle seems like a good thing to avoid.

What are you talking about. A CAI drops your 1/4 mile time significantly

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-17-2018, 07:10 PM

Unless it’s a pretty purpose built racecar. My K20 swapped EK was surprisingly quick in all ways.

bjstare
02-17-2018, 08:57 PM

Except miata, 240sx, S2k, Integra type R... yeah, your rule doesn't hold up. haha

ercchry
02-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Except miata, 240sx, S2k, Integra type R... yeah, your rule doesn't hold up. haha

The first mod to any 240sx should be a turbo 4cyl :rofl:

J-hop
02-17-2018, 09:32 PM

All of those without going internal give piddley gains though.

I think he means the classic CAI, header, exhaust, throttle body. Wow you spent 2500 and gained maybe 15 hp if you’re lucky

Mitsu3000gt
02-18-2018, 12:51 AM

Other than adding a turbo...thought that went without saying. Though I don't know how many people are willing to dump that kind of money into your average 4cyl car these days, or a 20+ year old Japanese car - seems like a huge waste of money with what you can get from the factory these days. I assumed things like exhaust, CAI, etc.

Think about how many cars are running around with exhausts and CAI's making 1hp more at best - that is what I am talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

The first mod to any 240sx should be a turbo 4cyl :rofl:

How many people do you know that are dumping that kind of money into a 30 year old car? And you don't just slap on a turbo from Canadian tire - you need to upgrade all kinds of things to do it properly and putting that kind of money into it IMO is silly.

ercchry
02-18-2018, 01:00 AM
^^^how many people do I know put an sr20 into a 240sx... the most popular car for drifting... in the (dare I say...) world?! A few I guess... :rofl:

Buster
02-18-2018, 01:21 AM
Anti-Lock Brakes.

Mitsu3000gt
02-18-2018, 01:28 AM
^^^how many people do I know put an sr20 into a 240sx... the most popular car for drifting... in the (dare I say...) world?! A few I guess... :rofl:

You didn't answer my question. How many people do YOU know that have dumped tens of thousands into a 30 year old drift car? Probably not that many.

Jesus, I was talking about CAI's and fart cans on Civics, not purpose built ultra-niche race cars. My bad for not being more clear.

ercchry
02-18-2018, 01:34 AM
You didn't answer my question. How many people do YOU know that have dumped tens of thousands into a 30 year old drift car? Probably not that many.

Jesus, I was talking about CAI's and fart cans on Civics, not purpose built ultra-niche race cars. My bad for not being more clear.

Full swap is like $3k in parts... considering I use to organize track days for drifting... like I said... a few. How many dumped “tens of thousands” into them? A couple... but those cars didn’t usually see too much track time...

It’s like you missed my point too... s-chassis rarely see much in terms of “mods” if n/a...

Sugarphreak
02-18-2018, 10:36 PM

J-hop
02-18-2018, 10:45 PM
I'll see that and raise electronic e-brakes

Manual Handbrakes FTW!

I agree with you except I almost could get on board with electronic e-brakes industry wide if it would get those car throttle knobs to shut up about how you’re apparently supposed to press the button in while setting the brake which is factually incorrect.

Xtrema
02-19-2018, 10:24 AM

It's LED tech now!
https://www.xkglow.com/Underbody_LED_Light_Kits_s/35.htm

Buster
02-19-2018, 11:01 AM
I'll see that and raise electronic e-brakes

Manual Handbrakes FTW!

lol, I was making a joke about how some people on this board maintain that ABS is detrimental (forgetting to mention that it is beneficial in 99 our of 100 situations).

nismodrifter
02-19-2018, 12:20 PM
Clear corner/side markers (on bumpers/headlights) - of course the bulb is not changed so it flashes white, or they get bonus points for changing the bulb to blue

Rat Fink
02-19-2018, 01:49 PM

J-hop
02-19-2018, 03:49 PM
^ I’m not 100% sure but fairly certain those BoB stickers you speak of cause the driver to drive like shit. That’s been my experience at least

ExtraSlow
02-19-2018, 03:56 PM
^ I’m not 100% sure but fairly certain those BoB stickers you speak of cause the driver to drive like shit. That’s been my experience at leastnah, becoming a parent melts your brain.

killramos
02-19-2018, 04:44 PM
All season tires

Hallowed_point
02-20-2018, 08:47 AM
- anything done to a Honda Civic from the 90s
- the mention of a 3/4 race or any fraction of a race cam
- edelbrock foam air cleaners
- cherry bomb mufflers
- sound systems worth triple the value of the vehicle they are installed in
- chrome wheel well mouldings
- any Canadian Tire accessory installed on a vehicle
- truck nutsacks

The following decals:
- any hillbilly decal like “dodge the father ram the daughter”, “built with wrenches not chopsticks”, “fuck NDP” or other white trash equivalents.
- any support 81 shit stuck on a vehicle (yeah, I get you want to take loads from greasy bikers who need a group to feel self worth). By supporting “81” you support the destruction of Alberta with meth and human trafficking (winners!)
- the sticker of the baby from the hangover as if you want the world to know you have a kid but are still cool
- stick figure families

I have nothing to add to your list. Really, I looked it over. :clap:

speedog
02-20-2018, 08:59 AM
I have nothing to add to your list. Really, I looked it over. :clap:

Stick figure families - I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that there are at least a few beyond members that have these on their vehicles.

Hallowed_point
02-20-2018, 09:08 AM
NOS floor mats.

Painting the plastic interior pieces of your car with white or black spray paint.

AndyL
02-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Stick figure families - I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that there are at least a few beyond members that have these on their vehicles.

I really need to put it on yup ;)

ExtraSlow
02-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Putting awd in everything.

Hallowed_point
02-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Smoked taillights is one of the first things I do. Hate the look of a big dumb red taillight. All my vehicles are black though, so I might not do it if I had any other colors.

I think it can look good if they're well prepped and lightly smoked/cleared/buffed out. And if it's a black/white/red muscle or performance type car. A Yellow Pontiac G5 that has all of the lights completely
black with runs? Ghetto as hell

- - - Updated - - -

Putting awd in everything.

But what else will Sally soccer mom have to talk about when doing lunch with the girls? If you have AWD, you don't need winter tires right?

mr2mike
02-20-2018, 01:03 PM
- clear taillights with "red" (pink) bulbs

Altezza lights on anything else other than an Altezza/IS300.
LED Washer jet nozzles.
Dice valve stem covers or LED ones for that matter.