PDA

View Full Version : Mirrorless recommendation

NoPulp
06-14-2017, 07:51 AM
I love the setup I have with my 6d, but its bulky and not very mobile. I'll be keeping it, but looking at an additional camera. I'd like something small that I can easily travel around with. Sort of a camera I can always have on me - street, hikes, travel etc.

Here are my priorities in order:

1. Small (and light)
2. Viewfinder
3. Low cost as possible
4. Lens selection - thinking of owning 1-2 lenses. I like prime lenses the best, but will consider a zoom. Would like something with a decently wide aperture. Low cost.

I would like to try a different brand besides Canon if possible.
Also looking at buying new, not used.

Thaco
06-14-2017, 08:03 AM
might be worth checking out the Sony A6000, it should have all the features you're looking for and its micro 4/3 so there is tons of options for lenses. (edit, i was wrong, the a6000 doesn't have the micro4/3, thats the panasonic gx85)

another good option is the panasonic GX85, and it does 4k video as a bonus!

blitz
06-14-2017, 08:43 AM
Fuji's X system has awesome lenses with some smaller pancake options, but it might be a little bigger and more expensive than you're looking for.
Sony's APS-C bodies (A6000) are great, but I feel their lens selection is limited.
Panasonic/Olympus has tons of m43 bodies and lenses to choose from and would be the smallest options. I personally don't like working with the files for some reason.

D'z Nutz
06-14-2017, 08:50 AM
I'd say a Sony A7, or if that's outside of your budget, whatever Sony E-mount (APS-C) body that fits your budget.

I love my A7 and it's basically the camera I use when I travel or I'm not doing work related photography because it's so small and compact. In fact, I found it a little too compact and ended up getting an L-bracket so that it fits in my hand better. Every once in a while I consider upgrading to a newer model, but then I look at the specs of newer bodies and I don't need anything at the added cost. Best thing about the Sony A7 cameras is they have such a short flange distance, you can get adapters for just about any mount to fit it. Sigma and Metabones even make adapters for Canon EOS mount and you still retain autofocus and aperture control.

Mitsu3000gt
06-14-2017, 09:23 AM
The only way mirrorless is really compact these days is with small sensors or in some cases pancake lenses. Your criteria is also not conducive to "low cost" unless you get a small sensor. You don't mention how important AF is, but you can probably get away with CDAF only if you are using it for hiking/travel and no moving subjects.

Fuji and Sony are probably all I'd look at right now, at least you can get a modern APS-C sensor with a noticeable reduction in overall form factor from the 6D. However if small & light is your #1 priority, maybe you should look at 1" sensor compacts as well like the Sony RX100 series.

If you don't mind a fixed lens the X100F is pretty cool and very compact. It's not cheap though ($1600). They make a cheaper/lower end version called the X70 for $900. Given that you said you always want it on you, multiple lenses means a bag, so you might consider how much different it will really be compared to just carrying your 6D with a compact lens in a holster bag or something. The Fuji X-E2 is the cheapest ILC they make ($689 body only), but it still uses the previous generation 16MP sensor. You might still be able to find a new (but old) X Pro-1 somewhere too.

In Sony land you're looking at the A6XXX bodies, or the RX100 fixed lens 1" sensor compacts. The previous model A6300 is still $1300 though and the RX100's are not much cheaper for the good ones (at least the III, preferably the IV or V). The A6000 is still a good body and is pretty cheap now at $629. The only thing that bothers me about those is you could get them with 2-lens kits for $699 ~2 years ago.

I am not a big Panasonic fan unless you are heavy into video, then Panasonic and Sony are the ones to beat. The old M4/3 sensors are pretty average and they do not put PDAF in any of their bodies but other than that they aren't too bad given that you might also be considering some lower end options from other brands. Their EVFs aren't the best either.

If I were you I'd go to the store and start looking at Fuji & Sony product to get a feel of the size and price ranges you might be comfortable with.

Danaldson
06-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Hard to go wrong with a Sony A6000/6300/6500. They're epic cameras for the price. Pair it with a 18-55 and 55-210 and you're set. (or 28mm f2 and 55mm f1.8 if you want primes)

fastest autofocusing cameras in the world, now with great native lens selection (can also adapt your canon glass with autofocus), small, great image quality, the a6500 has in body stabilization . Ill be getting a a6500 as a second body to my a7rii

But trust me once you get on to mirrorless you'll want to ditch the canon setup ;)

Whats your actual budget instead of just low cost?

NoPulp
06-14-2017, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the responses!
Glad I'm not too out to lunch - A6000 is what had been at the top of my list after my initial research. It seemed to be everything I was looking for and price seems good. It does annoy me the body alone is only $50 cheaper than the kit...The kit lens looks meh?
I was also looking at Fuji, but more $.

As for my actual budget, didn't have anything specific. If anything I would like it less than a couple of the lenses I have been wanting - like sigma art 50/85mm. Under $1000 with an okay lens would be cool, but can stretch if not realistic. I think I could do an a6000 with lens for around that though - could even do the kit + a prime for right around $1000?

I'd like something I can put in a small case and throw in the backpack I bring to work, or a draw string bag to walk around. I could take the battery grip off the 6d and use my 40mm pancake, but I'm so nervous about damaging the 6d. I guess I could also consider upgrading my cell, but I do prefer an actual camera format with viewfinder.
I think I'll go after work and see what the options are and if the size difference is enough to make it worthwhile.

blitz
06-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Something else to look at if you can get your head around a single focal length is the Ricoh GR. One of my favorite cameras. Excellent image quality, leaf shutter, built in ND filter and it'll fit in your pocket.

Danaldson
06-14-2017, 11:23 AM
yeah then i would definitely go for the a6000.

a6000 & 16-50mm : $679
plus a zoom
55-210: $400

The 16-50 isn't a great lens, but its tiny so the camera could fit in your pocket. Its also power zoom if that matters to you or not. If you can, try to find a used 18-55 as its a much better lens. People swear by it.

Sony primes can be tricky. A lot of the cheaper primes <$1000, aren't that great. There is no "nifty fifty" in the sony world. The cheap sony 50mm 1.8 is crap.

That being said... i hear the new sony 85mm 1.8 is an awesome lens for the price.

Mitsu3000gt
06-14-2017, 11:35 AM
If you're worried about damaging your 6D and pancake, would you be a lot less worried about a $1000+ mirrorless combo? There's something to be said about not having to worry, and not being upset if something gets broken/destroyed, which makes the case for a cheaper P&S or a better Smartphone (which is guaranteed to be always with you).

Also keep in mind the size savings can be nowhere near what people have in mind depending what combo you go with, as the lenses are bigger due to having basically no flange distance on the bodies, but you still have to deal with crappy ergonomics and EVFs (less of an issue for a hiking/backup camera though for sure).

Here's a size comparison with some 40 and 50mm lenses:
http://j.mp/2ssU4WU

And yes the A6000 kit lenses suck, I wouldn't go that route. They aren't very small either.

dirtsniffer
06-14-2017, 11:58 AM
I picked up an a6000 with the kit lens. Fits in a jacket pocket ok.. not going in the pants like a rx would.

I have been using it more than my d90 for the last yea, once i get the d7200 i suspect the sony will get much less use. Image quality is great, auto focus is meh, but focus point is easily adjustable.

taemo
06-14-2017, 12:20 PM
my recommendation is also either Fuji or Sony and both have their pros and cons.

I like the bodies and interface better on Fuji, but RAF sensors are tough to work with and still APS-C. Produces really good JPEG files though.

Sony A7 series have the advantage of FF but I dislike the body design and layout. Great for using all sorts of legacy lenses but if you want best IQ then you have to go with the newer lenses which are ridiculously big, which IMO defeats the purpose of smaller bodies.

Playing side by side with the A7II and X-T2, didn't feel like I was missing out by going Fuji.

My travel kit in Europe for 2 weeks was my X-T2 with 12mm, 18mm and 50mm and I didn't feel like I missed any shots.
If I need to go really light then I'll use my XC 16-50 lens instead of 3 primes which is not the best or sharpest lens at all but works fine for me.

One thing for sure though is that after using Sony or Fuji for the past 4 years, it's hard to go back to a DSLR and those giant lenses.

NoPulp
06-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Ricoh GR looks interesting - doesn't look like it has viewfinder?

P&S like the RX100 do look appealing - i just really don't like electronic zoom. P&S just seem phone-ish to me? I would also like to use things like CPL

Good point on the actual size difference. There is a significant height and weight difference. I guess I'll just have to see in person if it's enough of a difference.

NoPulp
06-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Maybe blitz is on to something. The fix lens compact do look interesting and fun. I would like view finder, is there something for a decent price? The Fuji x100F looks really nice, but a bit too much of a stretch on what I would like to spend.

taemo
06-14-2017, 01:08 PM
i decided to buy a rx100ii once to see how i would like it as light travel camera and ended up selling it after my trip.
it is small and decent focal range but wasnt overly impressed with IQ, especially if you plan to print big.
i created a filter holder so that i could screw polarizers and ND filters on it but they sell 3rd party attachments as well.

the GR is a really nice camera, if no VF puts you off you could always get an aux viewfinder for framing.
it also has a wide angle adapter for 21 focal length and can crop to 35 and 50.
i sold mine because dust ended up getting inside the sensor.

if you're thinking fuji, play with their raw files first and see how it slows down your rig, only thing i dont really like about fuji lol that im thinking of jumping to leica again.

edit: what about phone? sometimes i just end up using my iphone as everyday camera and some of my favorites were taken with it.

Mitsu3000gt
06-14-2017, 01:12 PM
My original suggestion was to look at something like the X100F which is a fixed lens APS-C compact with PDAF, but it is a bit spendy. The best deal going was a Nikon Coolpix-A refurb, but I am not sure if anyone still has them. Under $400 and a fantastic little body with a great sensor and super sharp lens (was $1200 new). Like the Ricoh (which is it's direct competitor) it has no viewfinder though which was one of your requirements. The X70 I listed might be of interest to you, it's a lot cheaper than the X100F, but also does not have a viewfinder (you can add one on in the hot shoe like the Coolpix). One step down from those you have the Sony RX 100 series which are truly pocketable and very small, and from version 4 (IV) and onward they get a slick pop-up viewfinder. They also meet your requirements of a fast lens, maximum portability, bonus zoom, etc. Below 1" though just stick with your smartphone. There is no "Goldilocks" camera given your criteria unless you either give something up (like viewfinder), or remove price from the equation (X100F).

I own two cameras like you are looking for, and I very rarely use them. It's just not that much effort to take my FF camera, and I will take it with me anyways if I care about the shot or if I might print the shot. If I don't really care, I have my smartphone which gives me better IQ than any 1/2.3" P&S camera most of the time, instant response, 4K video options, and it's always with me.

Danaldson
06-14-2017, 01:23 PM
If I don't really care, I have my smartphone which gives me better IQ than any 1/2.3" P&S camera most of the time, instant response, 4K video options, and it's always with me.

Another good point here. The best camera is the one that you have with you. Remember that.

It all depends on what you are willing to bring with you. Personally my a7rii and GIANT 24-70gm doesnt leave my side. Its a pain in the ass sometimes but Theres rarely a time that i don't have it with me, even if it doesnt make sense for me to have it.

blitz
06-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Maybe blitz is on to something. The fix lens compact do look interesting and fun. I would like view finder, is there something for a decent price? The Fuji x100F looks really nice, but a bit too much of a stretch on what I would like to spend.

I'm big on having a viewfinder, the GR is the only camera I've liked that doesn't have one. Controls are awesome, ton's of buttons and almost everything is customization. With the leaf shutter you can get stable shots @ 1/20 or lower, and you can flash sync @ 1/2000.

If you switch your mind on buying used, a X100 or X100s can be had for cheap. It's very comparable to the GR, but it is bigger and IMO the lens isn't nearly as good (but it is a stop faster).

NoPulp
06-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Went and looked at a few cameras.

Rx100 3 and 4. Nice quality built, relatively small, took nice images. Was heavy, didn't like the way it fit my hand and was weird to use.

A600 - super light. I don't know if it was a bad display model or what, but it performed like crap. I didn't get a chance to take it outside but the images just didn't look nice compared to the other cameras or even my phone. Was super disappointed. It was weird to use, im just use to canon and would get use to it. It also felt a bit cheap.

The salesman also gave me a fujiji X T20 (I think). Really liked it!!!! But the size difference I dont think is enough... especially for the price.

Nobody has the x100 or gr. I guess there's no stock of the x100F. I guess nobody around here buys the gr so they don't have any. Maybe I can find one if this weekend if I have free time while in Calgary.

Also been looking at new cell phones. My S6 is still working well and doesn't really need to be replaced, I'm not sure if anything new would be worlds different anyways. I think I actually prefer the IPhone's dual camera, but I just can't make the switch to iPhone...

almerick
06-14-2017, 05:37 PM
+1 on a x100 system

I picked up a used x100T over two years ago and it's been pretty much my go to camera ever since. It's light, compact, and very durable. It's one of those cameras you can just toss into any bag and take with you. The built-in electronic viewfinder is awesome, with no lag and you might even forget you're looking at a digital screen. I find that I am able to easily adjust my settings with the button layout of the camera as well. I definitely recommend it if you can find one at a good price!

taemo
06-14-2017, 09:18 PM

Rx100 3 and 4. Nice quality built, relatively small, took nice images. Was heavy, didn't like the way it fit my hand and was weird to use.

A600 - super light. I don't know if it was a bad display model or what, but it performed like crap. I didn't get a chance to take it outside but the images just didn't look nice compared to the other cameras or even my phone. Was super disappointed. It was weird to use, im just use to canon and would get use to it. It also felt a bit cheap.

The salesman also gave me a fujiji X T20 (I think). Really liked it!!!! But the size difference I dont think is enough... especially for the price.

Nobody has the x100 or gr. I guess there's no stock of the x100F. I guess nobody around here buys the gr so they don't have any. Maybe I can find one if this weekend if I have free time while in Calgary.

Also been looking at new cell phones. My S6 is still working well and doesn't really need to be replaced, I'm not sure if anything new would be worlds different anyways. I think I actually prefer the IPhone's dual camera, but I just can't make the switch to iPhone...

What store did you go to, I haven't checked in a while but usually The Camera Store has a demo GR?

NoPulp
06-15-2017, 06:52 AM
Mcbain and london drugs. That's all lethbridge has really.

Just realized mcbain handed me the X-T2 and was telling me the price for the X-T20. Should have taken it lol.

Mitsu3000gt
06-15-2017, 08:47 AM

Small cameras have bad ergonomics, there's no real solution to that. All these tiny brick-like cameras that are deigned to have the smallest dimensions have crap ergonomics. It's a trade off for portability. The nice thing about the RX 100 IV and onward is the built in pop-up viewfinder - most cameras that size do not have one at all.

By A600 I assume you mean A6000? It's over 3 years old now, probably starting to show its age - especially as a display model haha.

The Fuji X100 series went from the X100 --> X100S --> X100T --> X100F. The "T" is the oldest I would go, just based on features and performance, and I doubt you'd find anything older brand new. The "F" gets by far the best reviews, which is not surprising, but it's expensive.

The iPhone 7's dual camera isn't as good as you might think, I would stick with the S6's camera as you would be taking a step backward in many ways. The sensors in the main camera and "telephoto" (which is not even telephoto) are ~40% and ~60% smaller than the 1/2.3" sensor in the S6 and most other flagships respectively. The image quality from the "telephoto" sensor is actually so poor, that in lower light the phone switches back to the main camera and just crops it to the same field of view as the "telephoto" camera. The aperture is slower too (a lot slower on the "telephoto" side), and the HDR method is less robust. If you were to buy a smartphone primarily for the camera, you can do better.

Sounds like you like the Fuji stuff - depending on what you get I'm not sure how much smaller/lighter/cheaper it would be than your 6D setup but you would be getting another great camera. I have tried to search for the Goldilocks camera size for a while now, and I have 2 of them, and as I was saying earlier they just don't see a lot of use. Really try and think if it will see the kind of use you intend for it before you buy it, otherwise just take your smartphone or 6D along. You can get some really compact lenses and minimalist carrying cases for the 6D for a lot less than a second camera.

NoPulp
06-15-2017, 10:42 AM
Yes the A6000 - I do like how light it was and how it fit my hand decently. I should try it at another store just to make sure it wasn't a bad display model.

I really want to check out the X100 series and the GR. I did find a place that advertises the X100T for a decent price. Hopefully I can try those two, if I don't like them then I'll probably give up for now.

taemo
06-15-2017, 11:48 AM
^what was your most used lens on the 6D?

With the X100 series you can get the adapter so that you can get a 28mm or 50mm equivalent focal length
With the GR you can get the adapter that allows you 21mm, then the camera can digital crop to 35mm or 50mm.

My light travel gear is just the X-T2 with 18mm and 50mm, only use the 12mm when I'm shooting landscape.
The X-T20 is smaller than the X-T2 but for some reason I do not like it's size or look at all.
I'm just waiting for Fuji to release the X-E3 and I will be selling my X-T2.

If you want a cheap way into Fuji, you could look on getting the X-E2, X-T1, X-T10 first and upgrade to the newer sensor once yo like it.

PS. have you looked into the Canon M5 and M6 mirrorless cameras?
I'm also tempted on getting a Canon SL1 for a really small DSLR lol

NoPulp
06-15-2017, 05:22 PM
I use my 135mm F2L the most lately. I found it performed better at the track than my 70-200 F4L (which I'm considering selling now).
I also use my 40mm F2.8 alot - even though it's disposable in terms of cost, it's fantastic! So fun to use and looks super weird on my 6d with a grip lol.

Really want to try the X100 series, can't get it off my mind.
I am interested in the Fuji stuff. Just the styling alone really appeals to me.

I've looked a bit at the Canons... I don't know they just don't interest me. I also don't want to be tempted into using a converter and then just end up using my heavy lenses...

msommers
06-15-2017, 06:16 PM
This thread was in good timing as I've been looking at my camera gear shelf with unenthusiastic eyes. I find I rarely shoot anymore, it's rather depressing actually as going out to the mountains with some coffee and a hiking bag was basically my version of church.

But having a D810 and a couple lenses mostly for real estate work seems a bit excessive and I've been thinking of downsizing. The DR on the D810 is so just damn nice to edit with though and with a grip its ergonomics are fantastic.

Still, I think about unloading and getting something smaller and just use it for hiking whenever that happens. I still like using filters though...

Escape
06-16-2017, 11:20 AM
I don't think anyone mentioned Canon's own mirrorless options. The new EOS M5 gets good reviews. It's a bit expensive, but you can save money on the lenses as you can use your current EF lenses with an adapter. I believe they were giving out the adapter for free around launch, don't know if they still are doing that.

I have the A6000 for a couple of years now. It is showing its age. It is missing a lot of features you would expect today like E shutter, Touchscreen, 4K, IBIS, etc. The lens lineup is also limited. It also randomly gets slow to start up.

Micro 4/3 is great. Someone mentioned they don't have PDAF, that's not true. The Olympus flagship E-M1 I/II have PDAF. Also most Panasonic options have DFD AF, which also works great for tracking. M43 is the most complete mirrorless system. They have the most lens options, lots of feature packed bodies and both Olympus and Panasonic are focused on the system completely, they don't have multiple systems like others.

I have been debating myself whether I should sell my Sony stuff and move to M43. Sony is 100% focused on full frame.
The Lumix G85 is amazing and their lens options are also great.

NoPulp
06-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Found the x100F tried it out a bit, really like it!!! But not willing to pay that much. Saneal advertises the x100T for $1100 but didn't have any.

NoPulp
06-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Went hiking today. Only brought the 6d without a grip and my 40mm. It wasn't horrible, but I would like a second camera still...

I can't find any x100T for a reasonable price. Usually 1500 when the x100F is 1600.
Saneal has a x100S for 1000. The S is old and missing a few features but I'm tempted...

blitz
06-17-2017, 08:46 PM
The X100S and X100T both have the same sensor and lens, you'll probably be happy with the S. The F upgrades to get latest 24mp sensor, so there's no point in getting the T unless it's saving you a bunch of cash.

taemo
06-18-2017, 09:56 AM
The X100S and X100T both have the same sensor and lens, you'll probably be happy with the S. The F upgrades to get latest 24mp sensor, so there's no point in getting the T unless it's saving you a bunch of cash.

Agree, if you want to try the X100 series, just get a used X100S and save the extra cash for something else, maybe the Wide or Tele converter lens?
X100T AF is slightly better than the X100S but not life changing, both will have challenges in low light.
The X100F has the new 24MP sensor which is great but the lens is holding it back.

You could buy the Fuji X-T20 + XF 23mm f/2 WR lens for a little more and have the option to change lenses.
The X100F would be awesome though if you're happy shooting 28mm or 35mm equiv focal length.

Went hiking today. Only brought the 6d without a grip and my 40mm. It wasn't horrible, but I would like a second camera still...

I can't find any x100T for a reasonable price. Usually 1500 when the x100F is 1600.
Saneal has a x100S for 1000. The S is old and missing a few features but I'm tempted...
if you can buy the S used, that will save you a couple of $
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/calgary/fuji-fujifilm-x100s-silver/1269042270

when I acquired my first X100 in 2013 is when I started thinking of leaving the DSLR world behind.
I still have a 5D and with a zoom lens, definitely a lot bigger and heavier than my X-T2

NoPulp
06-18-2017, 06:56 PM
I'll keep my eye out for a sale on a X100 series.
I also considered a X-T series camera with the 22mm F2 WR as well. A bit more than I want to spend, but tempted...
The x100 series appeals to me - just throw it in your bag and do the best you can with what you got. No temptation to keep buying lenses for it.

Is Henry's a good place to deal with? Or where would you order online that actually check their used cameras?

blitz
06-18-2017, 07:19 PM
There are refurbished Nikon Coolpix A's on Amazon for $359. Definitely worth considering.

msommers
06-18-2017, 08:38 PM
I might have to keep my eye out for an XT-2 + wide angle gear as well. This thread is really getting me thinking more about downsizing

taemo
06-19-2017, 04:02 PM
I might have to keep my eye out for an XT-2 + wide angle gear as well. This thread is really getting me thinking more about downsizing

if you want a good affordable mirrorless landscape gear then it is either

Sony A7 + FE 16-35 f4
Fuji X-T2 + XF 10-24 f4

I had the Fuji X-T2 + Samyang 12mm f/2 when we were in Mt Assiniboine.

edit: forgot to mention that I shot a Sony A7 vs Fuji X-T2 side by side and IQ to me was very similar.

NoPulp
06-19-2017, 05:24 PM
Bought a used X100s!
Found it a few blocks away from my house. Sounded like the guy bought it new for a trip and hasn't used it much since, I guess his collection was getting out of hand so he decided to downsize. Came with box and all the original contents + 4 extra batteries for $600.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4279/35027368650_e815719446_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Vnfqn9)IMG_3721-2 (https://flic.kr/p/Vnfqn9) by Richard Brown (https://www.flickr.com/photos/130531646@N07/), on Flickr

D'z Nutz
06-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Nice score! can't wait to see what you get with it

NoPulp
06-19-2017, 06:34 PM
Played around with it for a couple mins. It's no 6d, but I'm actually pretty impressed with it! Need to read the manual, but I'm not finding it too bad to understand considering I only know Canon. The EVF is different to use, but not bad! Found the shutter count - 4300 lol.
Should be fun to play with!

At 1600 ISO it's still decent! Was disappointed about the distance it would focus until I realized it has a macro setting:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4271/35415347415_743b5170cd_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VXwUWc)X100S Test Photo (https://flic.kr/p/VXwUWc) by Richard Brown (https://www.flickr.com/photos/130531646@N07/), on Flickr

taemo
06-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Awesome deal for $600 and such a good camera, people are selling the original X100 for around 500$ here in Calgary.

Don't forget that at macro distance, you have to shoot at f/4 or smaller otherwise it looks really soft.
Only thing I recommend on getting if you find the camera difficult to hold is get a half-leather case and/or a thumbrest. Otherwise just enjoy shooting with it.

NoPulp
06-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Already made an order on accessories.
-Screen protector
-JJC hood & adapter - way less than Fuji's and the quality is suppose to be exactly the same. Not sure how much I'll use it. I like the minimalist of the x100 by itself.
-CPL I found for car photography a CPL is a must...
-Thumbrest - going to give it a shot before considering a leather case or grip.
-soft shutter button

taemo
06-20-2017, 08:28 AM
Already made an order on accessories.
-Screen protector
-JJC hood & adapter - way less than Fuji's and the quality is suppose to be exactly the same. Not sure how much I'll use it. I like the minimalist of the x100 by itself.
-CPL I found for car photography a CPL is a must...
-Thumbrest - going to give it a shot before considering a leather case or grip.
-soft shutter button

yeah, at first I was using a hood but then stopped using it so that it could fit it more easily on a jacket's pocket.
if you want a more minimalist hood also look into this
https://www.amazon.ca/JJC-LH-JX100II-Upgrade-Fujifilm-Replaces/dp/B00JKUYQS8
i wonder if a 49-46mm or 49-43mm step down ring will also do the job haha.

another great thing with the X100 is the leaf shutter that allows you to use flash up to 1/1000s and have a built in 3-stop ND filter.

NoPulp
06-20-2017, 08:38 AM
if you want a more minimalist hood also look into this
https://www.amazon.ca/JJC-LH-JX100II-Upgrade-Fujifilm-Replaces/dp/B00JKUYQS8

That's what I ordered, but silver!

I had a hardcase for a gopro, I cut out a bit more foam and the x100s fits perfectly in it lol. Perfect to throw in my work backpack.

Mitsu3000gt
06-20-2017, 11:17 AM
I have some JJC stuff and quality is the same as OEM as far as I can tell.