PDA

View Full Version : Runflat Tires - Can they be repaired?

BokCh0y
06-15-2017, 06:57 PM
Got what looks to be a razor bladed in one of my tires, tires are runflats. Didn't know about it, don't think i've driven too long on it, but none the less have done a little driving on them. The tire itself still holds its shape and the reinforcement looks ok - as in it's flat but not like regular tires.

Question is this: Can runflats be repaired? I've read stuff online and some say yes and some say no. Curious what the opinions are here? The damage is in the centre tread of the tire, so not close to the sidewalls or on the sidewall itself.

Thanks.

spikerS
06-15-2017, 07:27 PM
Bring it to tirebob and have them check it out. They would be the authority on it.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-15-2017, 08:36 PM
Yes, it can be argued that it's ability to run flat again is compromised but tire repairs are part of owning any vehicle.

Typically when repairing a runflat I will limit how much I ream out, opting to use a smaller plug patch. I don't do tire repairs very often anymore but I only use plug patches now.

Runflats suck. :)

Doozer
06-15-2017, 09:49 PM
Yes it can, I've had 2 runflats repaired on my ATS in the last 6 months (ridiculous luck). Can't wait to get rid of them.

Dealer said it can't be done, called a tire shop and they said yes it can, no problem.

Only issues is it's a little pricier than regular tires, and the puncture has to be in the tread as mention above. I had it done at Fountain Tire by Northland mall, they were great. Most people don't know they're open until 9 all week, so go there after supper any day of the week and they'll get you in right away. I think it was somewhere around $100, depending on the amount of work they have to do. Better than $350 on a new tire though.

tirebob
06-16-2017, 07:32 AM
Runflat tires in theory can be repaired, but running on them with no air at all generally renders them unrepairable. If you catch it before driving on it dead flat though, they can be fixed using the same repair methods and guidelines as a regular tire. Obviously have the tire inspected properly before getting it repaired.

BokCh0y
06-16-2017, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the response guys as well the info. Yes the runflats suck big time, loud too.
tirebob - the tire isn't flat like on a regular tire, it's still held up by it's structure, so I assume this can be repaired. I'll check around for a shop that can do it that's close to me - thanks Bob.

jdmXSI
06-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the response guys as well the info. Yes the runflats suck big time, loud too.
tirebob - the tire isn't flat like on a regular tire, it's still held up by it's structure, so I assume this can be repaired. I'll check around for a shop that can do it that's close to me - thanks Bob.

Correct me if I am wrong Bob, I think he was referring to 0 PSI not appearing to be flat like a conventional tire.

If you have driven on the tire for any period of time with absolutely 0 pressure in the tire, I would not recommend repairing it. If the tire was slowly losing pressure and you caught it in time, I personally have repaired them on my own cars at that point.

Xtrema
06-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Official answer is no for liability reasons.

Just got rid of my run flats. They are awful. Stiff sidewall, soft compound, thread roll off like toilet paper.

tirebob
06-16-2017, 06:21 PM

Correct me if I am wrong Bob, I think he was referring to 0 PSI not appearing to be flat like a conventional tire.

If you have driven on the tire for any period of time with absolutely 0 pressure in the tire, I would not recommend repairing it. If the tire was slowly losing pressure and you caught it in time, I personally have repaired them on my own cars at that point.Pretty much this... If you have been running around at zero pressure it is not something I am going to suggest repairing. The heat generation etc compromises the structural integrity. It may look okay, but that doesn't mean it is okay.

I hate runflat tires. Such a stupid gimmick for the most part.

BokCh0y
06-18-2017, 10:46 AM
Thanks for this Bob. Got new tires instead. And rft's suck.