PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2017-2018 Edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

D'z Nutz
06-17-2017, 12:58 PM
May as well start the new thread since there's news on the trade front and the draft is next week.

The Calgary Flames acquired goaltender Mike Smith from the Arizona Coyotes on Saturday, the teams announced.

The Flames sent the rights to goaltender Chad Johnson, prospect Brandon Hickey and a conditional third-round draft pick to the Coyotes as part of the deal. The pick can turn into a second-rounder if the Flames make the playoffs next season.

It's also suggested that the Coyotes are retaining 25% of Smith's contract.

adam c
06-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Not sure how I feel about this, lots of better talent out there right now, I was somewhat excited about Elliott last season though so :dunno:

beyond_ban
06-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Injury issues aside, Mike Smith is a great goaltender who is criticized more than he deserves. I think he has the potential to be great, but he is getting up there in years so it is a bit of a risk. That being said, he is a good stop gap until some of the younger talent can develop further. I also heard that the Coyotes aren't going to resign Johnson, they just needed a goaltender to protect in the expansion draft. He could very well return to the Flames and provide a fairly solid 1-2 punch.

95EG6P
06-17-2017, 02:22 PM
hope smith pans out for us and wondering which d man we are going to sign

D'z Nutz
06-17-2017, 02:23 PM
I wasn't thrilled with the trade at first cause I'm not really a big fan of Smith since he comes off as a bit of a primadonna and there were better options out there, however now that I've digested it a bit, it's not too terrible:

- there were indications that Hickey wasn't going to sign with us so we would have lost him for nothing
- Johnson's a UFA, so we were gonna lose him anyways. There's rumours going around that he was wanting a lot of money for a backup. If that's not true, he could still be a backup option for us since Arizona only needs him for the expansion protection list, after which he can walk. If not, this could be Gillies' chance to join the big club.
- if we had kept Elliot, we would have lost that third rounder anyways.

The biggest plus for Smith is he's among the best puck handling goalies in the league, so he'll definitely help with the transition and since our D are so active on the offense, they'll greatly benefit too.

He seems to be pretty injury prone the last few seasons which concerns me.

btimbit
06-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Mixed feelings. Smith has decent numbers playing behind a horrible team, but could be one knee injury away from not playing anymore. He came cheap enough though

TurboMedic
06-17-2017, 04:38 PM
I'm OK with this. Raanta may have been too $$, and there is not a chance I want Elliot back again next year, so onto something different. I'm in the maybe we should get rid of Sigalet camp though, too many goalie careers have died here the last few years.

D'z Nutz
06-17-2017, 04:43 PM
I'm OK with this. Raanta may have been too $$, and there is not a chance I want Elliot back again next year, so onto something different. I'm in the maybe we should get rid of Sigalet camp though, too many goalie careers have died here the last few years.

I might be in the minority here, but I would have been fine bringing Elliott and Johnson back next year and getting rid of Sigalet for the same reason you just stated.

max_boost
06-17-2017, 05:11 PM
I would have been okay with Elliot coming back but this is the choice management went with so I hope it all works out.

xnvy
06-17-2017, 05:39 PM
I agree with the general feeling of iffyness on Smith. This article (http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2017/06/examining-smith-trade-eight-points-to.html) helps put some of that to rest but I would have liked a younger option like Raantta or Grubauer, cost might have been much higher though.

At least Smith has proven he can contribute to the offense though with his goal scoring prowess placing him head-and-shoulders above his competition.

Team_Mclaren
06-18-2017, 01:29 PM
resigning elliott was never going to happen after last year's failure. It'll cost us a third round pick.

R!zz0
06-18-2017, 02:28 PM
"Playing behind a bad team in an invisible market. Flames didn't give much up, and Coyotes keep 25% of Smith's salary."

I think he's a good goalie who simply has never had a team in front of him. Good pickup.

xnvy
06-18-2017, 02:47 PM
So now that the lists are all out, I don't know how it would ever happen, but my dream goalie just went from Grubauer to Mrazek. I want a piece of that Mraz.

Quizzes
06-19-2017, 10:27 AM
I wasn't a fan of all the Mike Smith trade talks, but have since grown lukewarm to it.
That said, I've learned to lower my expectations on goaltending over the past few seasons. Hope Mike Smith works out for this team.

Flames should not re-sign Chad Johnson for anything more than 1.5M. A career backup should not earn more than that IMO. Looks like there are lots of good-to-decent backup goalies available, but I have no problem seeing Gillies and Rittich share backup duties if Flames can't find any backup at bargain prices.

colinxx235
06-19-2017, 11:04 AM
I view Smith as a relatively cheap option to allow you to transition to Gillies or Parsons depending on who grows better. As both have showed some promise but you never really know with goalies. Fingers crossed that we finally luck out with a drafted talent that can be solid for a long period of time.

Otherwise a few guys had already been picked over ahead of time. Calgary was on a no-trade list for Fleury so that idea is dead. Aside from trying with the Rangers I don't know if much was to be had? I'm guessing the management is also putting a lot of faith in the two mentioned above and wasn't willing to part with a whole lot. Maybe Smith will play like an all-star again and help us out for a bit :dunno:

With the lists and moves people have to make it is interesting, I'm hopeful Calgary can still nail down a top 6 forward and another 2nd pairing D. I'd like to see Russell come back, but not sure if that'll happen. And as much as I don't like Eberle as a person, he's a talented player of which Edmonton has realized they need to offload. What are the odds that calgary could trade (he is a top 6 forward typically) for a guy like that and give something cheaper in return. As Oilers clearly are going to pay McDavid and Leon a boat load.

Maxx Mazda
06-19-2017, 11:08 AM
New Adidas jerseys are unveiled tomorrow. Are we expecting any big changes aside from the materials used?

Quizzes
06-19-2017, 11:40 AM
New Adidas jerseys are unveiled tomorrow. Are we expecting any big changes aside from the materials used?

Looks like the Alberta flag will still be adorned in the new jersey. :banghead:

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/876817056116555776

Quizzes
06-19-2017, 11:47 AM
With the lists and moves people have to make it is interesting, I'm hopeful Calgary can still nail down a top 6 forward and another 2nd pairing D. I'd like to see Russell come back, but not sure if that'll happen. And as much as I don't like Eberle as a person, he's a talented player of which Edmonton has realized they need to offload. What are the odds that calgary could trade (he is a top 6 forward typically) for a guy like that and give something cheaper in return. As Oilers clearly are going to pay McDavid and Leon a boat load.

Don't wanna touch Eberle with that terrible cap hit. At least Brouwer's cap hit is more palatable. Sure, Eberle is more talented but he brings nothing else to the table.
Another reason NOT to take Eberle is the Flames shouldn't do Oilers any favours.

Maxx Mazda
06-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Looks like the Alberta flag will still be adorned in the new jersey. :banghead:

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/876817056116555776

What's wrong with that?

colinxx235
06-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Don't wanna touch Eberle with that terrible cap hit. At least Brouwer's cap hit is more palatable. Sure, Eberle is more talented but he brings nothing else to the table.
Another reason NOT to take Eberle is the Flames shouldn't do Oilers any favours.

Is his point/dollar value really that off? I just figure it was at the point where he was going to be the odd man out. I'm not sure what figures Leon/Mcdavid going to command, but I don't see them being cheap unless they decide to go super team friendly.
When I try to think about who could be added as that top line player. What maybe try to sign sharp for 2 years? Oshie will be super expensive and probably won't leave the caps. Radulov wants a ton and I don't think he'd fit in the locker room. Vanek is also older and far from the guy 5 years ago. I unfortunately don't have a big list in front of me of other candidates, but it has clearly been an issue since hudler left that line of filling a legit 1st line guy.

Quizzes
06-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Is his point/dollar value really that off? I just figure it was at the point where he was going to be the odd man out. I'm not sure what figures Leon/Mcdavid going to command, but I don't see them being cheap unless they decide to go super team friendly.
When I try to think about who could be added as that top line player. What maybe try to sign sharp for 2 years? Oshie will be super expensive and probably won't leave the caps. Radulov wants a ton and I don't think he'd fit in the locker room. Vanek is also older and far from the guy 5 years ago. I unfortunately don't have a big list in front of me of other candidates, but it has clearly been an issue since hudler left that line of filling a legit 1st line guy.

After his abysmal playoff performance, Oiler fans wouldn't mind giving him away for free and let someone else worry about his contract. I like seeing Oilers in a cap crunch.
Vanek is an interesting option. He had a decent season with Detroit and can be had for cheap, but likely looking for term knowing this will probably be his last contract.

Also, the Alberta flag looks way out of place on that already mediocre looking jersey. The flags should've only been there for the first year, don't know why they kept it around for so long.

rage2
06-19-2017, 01:39 PM
I like seeing Oilers in a cap crunch.
This. Everyone needs to play along, don't make any trades that benefit the Oilers cap, then watch the fireworks next year. So glad that Draisaitl played well this year. Once they get the Drai and McDavid contract filled, and nobody helps them relief cap space, that's going to put quite a bit of strain in terms of cap. Assuming on the low end $10m for McDavid and $5m for Drai, that's $51.5m on 11 contracts. :eek:

D'z Nutz
06-19-2017, 02:37 PM
Hahaha yeah we were talking about that here

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/392626-OFFICIAL-2015-2016-NHL-thread?p=4562753#post4562753

They saved a couple bucks by trading away Hall. Time to throw in some offersheets to make up that difference and then some :rofl:

95EG6P
06-21-2017, 12:15 PM
wonder who vegas is taking brower or stajan dont think they would want any one else that we got. really hoping they take fredie but dont think that would happen

colinxx235
06-21-2017, 12:41 PM
wonder who vegas is taking brower or stajan dont think they would want any one else that we got. really hoping they take fredie but dont think that would happen

Lol... Stajan??? c'mon...

All the TSN/SN guys seem to all think Kulak as he's the best blue liner available from Calgary. Brouwer would probably be the 2nd choice.

88CRX
06-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Sounds like Kulak or Chaisson gone to Vegas.

roopi
06-21-2017, 01:25 PM
My guess is they take Kulak as well. I don't think they are dumb enough to take Stajan or Brower.

Quizzes
06-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Flames did well with their unprotected players.
Hopefully Vegas is forced to take a forward (ahem... Brouwer) because there are soooo many D out there for McPhee to take. :poosie:

Quizzes
06-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Dean Molberg @fan960boomer now
Thinking Derek Engelland is one of the UFA's Vegas has signed, thus fulfilling #Flames commitment. Engelland lives in Vegas & would be a fit

Wow! Calgary definitely dodged a bullet if true as Engelland is a UFA anyways.
Guess we're stuck with Brouwer now. LOL

D'z Nutz
06-21-2017, 03:55 PM
You know, we've been able to embed tweets for like a year now.

Also Engelland should always be remembered for this gem (if the speculation is correct).

http://wpmedia.theprovince.com/2015/04/470160102_221194188-e1430151876216.jpg

colinxx235
06-22-2017, 10:37 AM
After his abysmal playoff performance, Oiler fans wouldn't mind giving him away for free and let someone else worry about his contract. I like seeing Oilers in a cap crunch.
Vanek is an interesting option. He had a decent season with Detroit and can be had for cheap, but likely looking for term knowing this will probably be his last contract.

Well, I know this is more NHL thread appropriate but we were already discussing it in here. Eberle just got shipped to Islanders for Strome. Which while I don't want to do EDM any favors I could have been Eberle meshing well with Monahan/JG because of his speed/talent. Did he have a bad playoffs, yup.. but flames have some cap and really need a top line forward.

Strome I know hasn't quite lived up to expectations, curious if EDM will bump his career back up or continue to decline from a guy who was a lotto pick. That just freed up a good chunk of cash and Islanders know they need to make moves to keep Tavares there.

D'z Nutz
06-24-2017, 01:35 PM

rage2
06-24-2017, 01:42 PM
I haven't followed him much. Numbers doesn't look good but others are telling me he's good. Cap hit is nice too under Russell's new contract, so if he's better than Russell I'm happy.

D'z Nutz
06-24-2017, 02:07 PM
I haven't followed him much. Numbers doesn't look good but others are telling me he's good. Cap hit is nice too under Russell's new contract, so if he's better than Russell I'm happy.

His style of play has been described sort of like Regehr's, so it would make sense why his numbers don't really reflect that. If he's staying back and watching the blue line, this gives Brodie the option of jumping in on the rush the way he likes.

btimbit
06-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Yeah his advanced stats aren't that great, but they never are for the defensive minded guys. He might only put up 5 goals and maybe 20 assists but he's Regehr esque in his own zone. Definitely a big step above guys like Stone or Russell, and he's on a terrific contract. Ideal second pairing guy and should complement Brodie pretty well.

Big fan of the trade

adam c
06-24-2017, 06:42 PM
Seems like an overpay to me but I don't know, I hear the '18 draft is supposed to be much better than the '17 draft

colinxx235
06-24-2017, 07:49 PM
Hamonic is a very good stay at home D-man, who plays the zone hard. Tons of teams have wanted him especially for how much is cap is, but originally islanders demands were insane. His numbers last season look rough cause he was injured and then the lockout. But he should pair well with Brodie

Sonic
06-24-2017, 08:14 PM
Ya Brodie needs someone he doesn't have to worry about and use his offensive flair and help score us some goals...our top 4 looks good now..

bigbadboss101
06-25-2017, 07:39 AM
I like the deal. Let see what other moves they might make. Get Stone to be #5 for bring in another option? Upgrades in forwards? I would be very happy if Bennett, Bouwer bounce back from last year's performance. Couple guys might be ready to step up and take a role as well.

slick2404
06-25-2017, 01:40 PM
https://twitter.com/CraigCustance/status/878991119807389697

Edmonton born, hobey baker finalist. Would be a nice add to the prospect list.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=107388

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugdY-CYkuro&t=196s

Quizzes
06-26-2017, 09:47 AM
Nice pick up for Hamonic. The price was a little high, but chances are none of the picks will turn into a Hamonic type, which this organization lacks.
I'm very glad Treliving outbid Chiarelli for another young defenseman.

asp integra
06-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Apparently Hamonic is pretty tough as well. Its good to add some grit with Engelland gone, plus hes a alot better over D man.

95EG6P
06-26-2017, 10:52 AM
gio hammy
brody hamonic
those d line are beast mode

asp integra
06-26-2017, 10:57 AM
Easily top 5 D core in the league, arguably a top 3 D core

dirtsniffer
06-26-2017, 12:36 PM
now with a goalie to back it up!

D'z Nutz
06-26-2017, 10:24 PM
jSwG1cKxeaE

SilverRex
06-27-2017, 06:25 AM
well as important as we need a solid goalie, cant stress enough who ever plays in front of smith would be the key. we now have the best Dcore in the league or so I was told, perhaps this might just work out

D'z Nutz
06-27-2017, 07:10 AM
we now have the best Dcore in the league or so I was told, perhaps this might just work out

Who told you that? Some CP homer?

We have a good top 4 on paper, but I'd hardly say we have the best defensive core in the league, at least without seeing them play together first. Remember when we had Regehr, Dion, and Jaybo? That was a good looking core on paper, but that didn't even come close to panning out to its advertised potential. I'd say Nashville is up there and we've seen what they're capable of.

asp integra
06-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Who told you that? Some CP homer?

We have a good top 4 on paper, but I'd hardly say we have the best defensive core in the league, at least without seeing them play together first. Remember when we had Regehr, Dion, and Jaybo? That was a good looking core on paper, but that didn't even come close to panning out to its advertised potential. I'd say Nashville is up there and we've seen what they're capable of.

Nashville is widely considered #1 D core in the league, Ducks are up there too. I would argue Flames are now #3

dirtsniffer
06-27-2017, 05:19 PM
nice signing Foo real.

Sonic
06-27-2017, 09:43 PM
nice signing Foo real.

Is this kid going to slot in any time soon? Interesting to see a highly hyped Asian, might be the first ever real good Asian player in the NHL?...I think the last time was the half Japanese Paul Kariya?

D'z Nutz
06-27-2017, 09:55 PM
Nashville is widely considered #1 D core in the league, Ducks are up there too. I would argue Flames are now #3

Yeah Ducks are definitely up there at the top. They'd be better without Bieksa hahaha

Is this kid going to slot in any time soon? Interesting to see a highly hyped Asian, might be the first ever real good Asian player in the NHL?...I think the last time was the half Japanese Paul Kariya?

Setoguchi wasn't terrible until he let his alcoholism get in the way of his career. And then Taro Tsujimoto is stuff legends are made of haha

http://mit.zenfs.com/206/2011/07/TARO-copy.jpg

ugdY-CYkuro

Hilarious hearing this from an Edmonton native, who the Oiler fans were so sure they were gonna get :rofl:

Quizzes
06-28-2017, 09:49 AM

Yes! Finally an Asian dude on the Flames to cheer for!
Jett Woo is supposed to be going pretty high in next year's draft.

max_boost
06-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Look forward to this! Apparently he was recruited by JohnnyG

D'z Nutz
06-29-2017, 06:24 PM
Looks like we got our backup?

ThePlaymaker
06-29-2017, 06:38 PM
So, we're lettin go M. Stone?

D'z Nutz
06-29-2017, 06:52 PM
So, we're lettin go M. Stone?

Tre's been on record as saying he's still trying to work out a deal, but I think he's more than likely going to walk.

Sonic
06-29-2017, 08:24 PM
Eddie Lack!

D'z Nutz
06-30-2017, 10:21 AM
And now Murphy's on waivers hahaha

Bouma too

adam c
06-30-2017, 10:36 AM
CF reporting Murphy has been bought out
https://capfriendly.com/players/ryan-murphy

Same with Bouma
https://capfriendly.com/players/lance-bouma

Sonic
06-30-2017, 01:43 PM
Good riddance....

ThePlaymaker
06-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Flames sign Stone to 3-year, $10.5M deal
http://www.tsn.ca/flames-sign-stone-to-3-year-10-5m-deal-1.793575

spikerS
06-30-2017, 02:24 PM
Flames sign Stone to 3-year, $10.5M deal
http://www.tsn.ca/flames-sign-stone-to-3-year-10-5m-deal-1.793575

while that is a pay cut for him, 3.5M a year for 18 points a season? Not sure how I feel about that...

asp integra
06-30-2017, 02:52 PM
That is a very well paid #5 D man. Too much if you ask me. So are we not lining up to add any young guys to the D core this year (andersson, kulak)?

btimbit
06-30-2017, 06:00 PM
while that is a pay cut for him, 3.5M a year for 18 points a season? Not sure how I feel about that...

He had a really bad injury in 2015 that had him out for a long time, followed by a rough recovery that led to him having a so-so start to last season. I'd bet he has 25-ish points next year

That is a very well paid #5 D man. Too much if you ask me. So are we not lining up to add any young guys to the D core this year (andersson, kulak)?

Anderssen or Kulak likely complete that bottom pairing. It does seem like a lot of money but he's a 4/5 guy that can move up the roster if someone gets injured.

I'm a fan of the deal.

Look at it this way, he's better than Russell, makes less money and signed for less term.

Flames D also are going to cost less going into next year with Hamonic and Stone, that it did with Wideman and Engelland

spikerS
06-30-2017, 07:12 PM
He had a really bad injury in 2015 that had him out for a long time, followed by a rough recovery that led to him having a so-so start to last season. I'd bet he has 25-ish points next year

Anderssen or Kulak likely complete that bottom pairing. It does seem like a lot of money but he's a 4/5 guy that can move up the roster if someone gets injured.

I'm a fan of the deal.

Look at it this way, he's better than Russell, makes less money and signed for less term.

Flames D also are going to cost less going into next year with Hamonic and Stone, that it did with Wideman and Engelland

I dunno man, he has been in the NHL for 6 years now, totaling 102 points. That works out to 17 points a season, which is pretty close to his numbers each year. 2 years ago with Arizona he had a year that justifies this kind of salary with 36 points. Before that, his best year was '13-'14, and that was 21 points...

I think that Stone and his agent realized that that was going to be the best deal he was going to get, even as a FA, and why he signed before the 1st.

btimbit
06-30-2017, 09:57 PM
Maybe he'll convince his brother to sign here next year:thumbsup:

Kavy
07-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Having a #5 that good is a luxury and Calgary will benefit. Being able to play your top 4 19-20 minutes and your 5 15-16 minutes makes a huge difference. This allows Brodie to come off of the PK and allows Hamonic to take his place. They will be less tired near the end of games and it will allow Brodie and Hamilton to really push the puck on their shifts knowing they aren't required to play 26 minutes because two chumps are playing in the 5-6 role.

Quizzes
07-03-2017, 08:45 AM
That is a potent, but expensive top 5 defense. I was in the camp of letting the kids and Bartkowski round out the bottom pairing for low low dollars. Stone can move up and down the lineup should there be injuries and such, which is a good thing come playoff time. $3.5M for 3 years is a good contract for Stone, who's more of a middle-pairing guy.

Curious why 3 years as that is when Brodie, Hamonic, Andersson and Kylington all need to be re-signed. 2021 will be a very expensive summer.

Kavy
07-03-2017, 08:57 AM
If you look at the entire top 4 it comes in around 4-6 million under most other teams top 4s because of the cheap Brodie and Hamonic contracts. Having them allows that flexibility to spend a bit more.

I also wondered about the term, I imagine that's the expectation now to be cup ready in two.

kertejud2
07-03-2017, 12:27 PM
It may seem like an expensive Top 5 but it's still cheaper than what we had going into last year (Wideman and Engelland were just over $8M combined, Hamonic and Stone are just under $8M combined).

colinxx235
07-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Not sure why anyone would complain about that D-core/signings... Stone is probably a legit 3/4 D-man on most teams in the NHL, plays a good solid game. They are currently sitting at 25 mil in D-man contracts + will probably bring up kulak or andersson for the season @ another 7-800k. Compare that to some teams such as Jets 29 mil, detroit 26.6, oilers 24 mil, hell even the canucks are paying 21 for that joke of a blue line.

The only real tough ones on the flames right now in terms of value/$ would be Brouwer if he plays like he did last year and Stajan. Well that and Johnny played like shit last year, hopefully its a bounce back season. It sucks that Sharp didn't sign here, they were rumoring that one and then the Hawks sniped him back up for virtually nothing... Flames really need a 1st line player, tough to get though

btimbit
07-03-2017, 03:02 PM
I'm willing to bet Brouwer has a much better season. Probably at least plays like he did before he got injured.

So many people upset that Vegas didn't take him, but he's far from by biggest concern on the team

Quizzes
07-03-2017, 03:55 PM
I'm willing to bet Brouwer has a much better season. Probably at least plays like he did before he got injured.

So many people upset that Vegas didn't take him, but he's far from by biggest concern on the team

I don't know... With Wideman off the book, Bouma gone, Chiasson probably not coming back, there's really no one else left to point your finger at other than Stajan, and even he will be off the book next year.
Brouwer is still the biggest concern given his cap hit and the value he brings. Goaltending is still up in the air for finger pointing, but lowering the expectation would be best.

btimbit
07-03-2017, 04:05 PM
I don't know... With Wideman off the book, Bouma gone, Chiasson probably not coming back, there's really no one else left to point your finger at other than Stajan, and even he will be off the book next year.
Brouwer is still the biggest concern given his cap hit and the value he brings. Goaltending is still up in the air for finger pointing, but lowering the expectation would be best.

For sure, but people haven't seen the value he brings yet. They saw him play the worst year of his career with a broken finger. If he plays like he did 2 years ago, or even like the first 2 months of last year, fingers will quickly get pointed elsewhere.

I predict Stone becomes the new whipping boy, the "That's too much for a guy on the bottom pairing" crowd will get louder and louder

asp integra
07-03-2017, 05:04 PM
TSN pre season power rankings released today:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Nashville
3. Anaheim
4. Edmonton
5. CALGARY!!!
6. Toronto
7. Columbus
8. Tampa Bay
9. Washington
10. Dallas

colinxx235
07-03-2017, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure why you guys are ripping on Stone for numbers and that he'll be the whipping boy or over paid. Did you actually watch the hockey last season and before or just instantly look at his points/game and are mad he doesn't have burns/karlson type numbers?

He has played on one of the WORST teams in the NHL the last 5 seasons. In the 4 seasons that he was averaging ~20:20 in ice time, his numbers versus what the team did were pretty decent. In 15-16 he finished -10 on a team that was minus 36 while averaging 22:29 on the ice. Last season when he left the coyotes he was playing 20:13 a game, -5 on a team that finished -63. If guys are expecting a $3.5 million defencemen to be putting up 50+ points a season give your head a shake unless they are a young rising star who is under a team friendly RFA deal. His numbers sit well when compared to guys in his salary range, and at the end of the day he will be expected to play a solid 3rd line role and in the event of an injury can very easily step up to the 2nd line.

asp integra
07-03-2017, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure why you guys are ripping on Stone for numbers and that he'll be the whipping boy or over paid. Did you actually watch the hockey last season and before or just instantly look at his points/game and are mad he doesn't have burns/karlson type numbers?

He has played on one of the WORST teams in the NHL the last 5 seasons. In the 4 seasons that he was averaging ~20:20 in ice time, his numbers versus what the team did were pretty decent. In 15-16 he finished -10 on a team that was minus 36 while averaging 22:29 on the ice. Last season when he left the coyotes he was playing 20:13 a game, -5 on a team that finished -63. If guys are expecting a $3.5 million defencemen to be putting up 50+ points a season give your head a shake unless they are a young rising star who is under a team friendly RFA deal. His numbers sit well when compared to guys in his salary range, and at the end of the day he will be expected to play a solid 3rd line role and in the event of an injury can very easily step up to the 2nd line.

Not ripping him at all, I love that we have a #5 guy that can move up to the 2nd line at a moments notice and we wont be handicapped like we would have been moving up a wideman for example. I love the blueline this year. Can't wait to get the season started!:goflames:

max_boost
07-03-2017, 05:31 PM
TSN pre season power rankings released today:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Nashville
3. Anaheim
4. Edmonton
5. CALGARY!!!
6. Toronto
7. Columbus
8. Tampa Bay
9. Washington
10. Dallas

What?! Really? :eek: lol

Maxx Mazda
07-03-2017, 06:00 PM
I'm more surprised to see Dallas on that list! Hahaha

rage2
07-03-2017, 10:43 PM
The last time we were favored in pre season rankings thanks to league topping D, we missed the playoffs. :rofl:

btimbit
07-04-2017, 07:41 AM
The last time we were favored in pre season rankings thanks to league topping D, we missed the playoffs. :rofl:

Ugh, Bouwmeester. Don't remind me

rage2
07-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Ugh, Bouwmeester. Don't remind me
That was last last time. :rofl:

I'm talking about when we first signed Hamilton, the year after kicking the Canucks out round 1. The media had as pegged for best D in the league.

btimbit
07-07-2017, 04:05 PM
That was last last time. :rofl:

I'm talking about when we first signed Hamilton, the year after kicking the Canucks out round 1. The media had as pegged for best D in the league.

Ugh, Wideman. Don't remind me

:P

95EG6P
07-07-2017, 05:51 PM
when Hamilton first started he was so bad then go into the grove. if hamonic plays bad with tj he can always play with stone as they paired good last seaon

ThePlaymaker
08-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Flames could have interest in Jagr: report

Gulutzan as coach likely part of equation
NHL (https://www.nhl.com/news/flames-could-have-interest-in-jaromir-jagr/c-290737496)

That would be awesome. but does he still have it?
Taking Foo spot?

Quizzes
08-23-2017, 01:04 PM
Flames could have interest in Jagr: report

NHL (https://www.nhl.com/news/flames-could-have-interest-in-jaromir-jagr/c-290737496)

That would be awesome. but does he still have it?
Taking Foo spot?

Jagr signing with Flames is picking up traction. One of my all-time faves.

I think Foo will be spending majority of his time in the AHL this season.

Sonic
08-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Jagr has proven that he still has it... This would be awesome!!! As long as the price is right...

colinxx235
08-23-2017, 01:21 PM
yah Jagr still clearly has it, hopefully not for too much money. Would be nice for flames to have some flexibility if they make an okay run and need a higher priced rental etc.

Still no updated on Bennetts contract tho... curious what is going on there. Hopefully Foo cracks roster this year and continues his play from NCAA, otherwise they are looking short on Forward. Granted Jankowski must be getting close to the point of needing to make it or being forever stuck down

beyond_ban
08-23-2017, 02:43 PM
yah Jagr still clearly has it, hopefully not for too much money. Would be nice for flames to have some flexibility if they make an okay run and need a higher priced rental etc.

Still no updated on Bennetts contract tho... curious what is going on there. Hopefully Foo cracks roster this year and continues his play from NCAA, otherwise they are looking short on Forward. Granted Jankowski must be getting close to the point of needing to make it or being forever stuck down

I think $1mm a year for Jags with performance bonuses up to max of around $3.5 would make sense. Easier to manipulate cap space with bonuses as well, as opposed to a straight up $3.5mm contract. Curious to see how much space we have left after the rest of the lose ends are tied up.

rage2
08-23-2017, 04:07 PM
I don't think we have enough cap space to do 3.5m straight up. If that 3.7m rumor is accurate, I'd bet it would be around 2m salary + 1.7m bonuses.

ShermanEF9
09-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Holy Ken King Bombshell. anyone else following?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-president-owners-no-longer-pursuing-new-arena-calgary/

The timing of it is interesting, as well as the rumors. Is the team moving? Will we ever see a new arena? Discuss.

Xtrema
09-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Holy Ken King Bombshell. anyone else following?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-president-owners-no-longer-pursuing-new-arena-calgary/

The timing of it is interesting, as well as the rumors. Is the team moving? Will we ever see a new arena? Discuss.

It is in response of Nenshi's election platform yesterday. Probably a big f u to turfing the West village plan and open up a position for a pro unlimited tax dollor for arena mayoral candidate.

spikerS
09-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Just Nenshi being Nenshi.

Now he is gonna find a way to make a deal, and then proclaim himself as the team's saviour. Election is like 6 weeks away. Could you imagine the uproar that would be caused if the flames announced they were leaving? Nenshi would be out of office so fast dodging bullets. Only safe place for him would be in Columbia where no one cares about hockey.

Thaco
09-12-2017, 06:47 PM
It is in response of Nenshi's election platform yesterday. Probably a big f u to turfing the West village plan and open up a position for a pro unlimited tax dollor for arena mayoral candidate.

yep jut a political move, i bet within a week king will release another statement saying he reached a deal with some other candidate to keep the team if he gets in.

- - - Updated - - -

Just Nenshi being Nenshi.

Now he is gonna find a way to make a deal, and then proclaim himself as the team's saviour. Election is like 6 weeks away. Could you imagine the uproar that would be caused if the flames announced they were leaving? Nenshi would be out of office so fast dodging bullets. Only safe place for him would be in Columbia where no one cares about hockey.

umm,, read the linked article, it IS the flames saying they are leaving....

adam c
09-12-2017, 06:56 PM

Not sure where you got that from

King said the Flames owners remain committed to staying in Calgary for now.

spikerS
09-12-2017, 07:01 PM

or this gem

Eric Francis @EricFrancis
King "we're not shopping, we're not looking around." Bettman is here to help guide Flames forward

Thaco
09-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Not sure where you got that from

"no longer perusing a new area in Calgary" pretty much spells it out.... "we'll stick around until our new arena is built somewhere else"

RealJimmyJames
09-12-2017, 08:06 PM
They will end up playing in a new arena somewhere. Probably Quebec city.

adam c
09-12-2017, 08:19 PM
They will end up playing in a new arena somewhere. Probably Quebec city.

Except the NHL has stated multiple times no more teams in the east until the conferences are balanced