PDA

View Full Version : Basement framing question

FraserB
06-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Looking for some input from people who have had work done or do the work.

I currently have those aluminum "studs"on the outside of my basement and they seem quite flimsy for hanging drywall on. Does anyone know if there is a cost difference for having drywalling done whether you have wood studs or these? If there is a cost or quality difference in the finished product, I would rather just rip these all out now when I have the chance.

eblend
06-19-2017, 04:50 PM
Don't think it's worth it to rip them out. Drywall will hold them all together and they will be strong enough. I doubt they would be any difference in hanging drywall, just something to screw into.

Tik-Tok
06-19-2017, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't rip them out, I would personally install wood as well though in area's you expect to hang a TV, or shelving.

thinmyster
06-19-2017, 06:30 PM
I framed the interior of my basement in steel studs. Drywall went on fine

BerserkerCatSplat
06-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Got the same steel studs on mine, drywall hangs fine. Agreed that you should add wood (if possible) to ares you want to bear larger loads (like a TV).

thinmyster
06-19-2017, 09:32 PM
They seem real flimsy but once the drywall goes up it adds a lot of rigidity. I found it more of a pain to frame doors, place electrical boxes/switches and mount casing/baseboard but I would not tear it out

BerserkerCatSplat
06-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Yeah, it's a real pain to tie into wood framing, that's for sure.

mr2mike
06-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Hung a buddy's TV for him on steel studs. Debated placing a plywood board or something on other side of wall but ended up using very large butterfly clips and they've held for 3 years now no issues.
Just gotta drill through the stud with a drill bit first but IMO, did my own homes and wood is way easier for TV hangs.