PDA

View Full Version : Renting a car for long trip to save wear & tear on your own vehicle?

acedia
06-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else does this and if so what kind of threshold do you use?

I haven't found many people who've ever done this, maybe I'm just weird. But for trips of 2-3 days I've rented cars several times over the years. Say it's a 1800-2200 km round trip, seems like a lot of kilometers to put on my car and tires when I can grab a rental for cheap. Especially when I had my truck, the fuel savings alone paid for the rental and then some, so I was actually making money. Hell even a 600 km round trip would even out with the gas and it ended up being a free rental.

I have a 1700 km round trip planned for next month. Can't seem to find the same deals I used to a few years ago at Enterprise (sometimes $20 a day unlimited km's when it included a weekend) so it's about $150 for 3 days. Starting to get outside of "obviously good deal" territory, but I'm considering it. They're pretty lax with small nicks, usually anything smaller than racquetball sized or so is fine, they had one of those plastic stencil things measuring a few dents on one I rented last time. So I'm considering letting a rental take the rock chips through the mountains and back and keep my new car perfect at home. Plus I won't have to worry about parking in the far corner of every parking lot I go to, trying to avoid door dings, so that'll be a nice break. lol

So am I alone here, or do some of you guys do this too?

Thaco
06-21-2017, 03:04 PM
I did this when i went to LA (put on almost 7000km in 2 weeks), but my vehicles are a little older so a rental is a little more piece of mind with roadside and all that stuff included as well.

RickDaTuner
06-21-2017, 03:06 PM
I rent compact cars if the millage traveled is more than 600kms, and its just myself. $40ish for the car and $60 for fuel at most, just makes sense to me.
My car on fuel alone, would be $200. Trips to Vancouver are a no brainer, I either fly or rent a car.
The only time I drive my own vehicle is when I'm hauling my motorcycle, or a trailer. which rental companies don't allow anyway.

realazy
06-21-2017, 03:52 PM
I do what you do and I have a compact car that's good on gas. I just like not having to care on road trips especially with more passengers. People can eat and drink, put their feet up, sleep and drool, or whatever they want in the rental.

Also I like the peace of mind if there's an accident, I can just return the rental and get a different one without worrying about what to do with my own car.

HiSpec
06-21-2017, 04:08 PM
I thought most rental place don't allow out of province trips? I mean it'll be hard to prove, but thousands of km within a week or so will be easy to prove? :dunno:

got_mike33
06-21-2017, 04:12 PM
I have done this several times to save on using my own car, so you aren't alone. I once rented a convertible to drive to a wedding in Kelowna (no issue with out of province), that was well worth the price since the weather was gorgeous there.

acedia
06-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Well, I used to cross my fingers quite a few years ago, but now it's fine province to province, with Enterprise anyway. I confirmed it with my last rental.

beyond_ban
06-21-2017, 04:25 PM
I've actually never considered renting a car for a road trip before, but it has me thinking. My vehicle is a pig on gas, and will most likely be over $200 to and from Kelowna next weekend. Where should i start my research concerning renting a car? Which places are most recommended?

killramos
06-21-2017, 04:27 PM
What is the point of owning a car if you are afraid to drive it... What do you drive? A Ferrari?

One thing if it saves you money on gas etc. if you drive a truck but just to avoid wear and tear?

Might as well have not bought the new car in the first place if that is the mentality imho :dunno:

ercchry
06-21-2017, 06:05 PM
I guess it depends on how much you value the experience and what you drive... slumming it in an econo box fwd, gutless 4 banger for a long period of time sounds like hell to me... last trip through the mountains I did it as a passenger and found the whole experience hilarious, especially in passing zones, where if we didn't pre-speed up before the zone we had to abort passing :rofl:

To rent anything even comparable to my own car's experience, it's no longer a value saving idea

acedia
06-21-2017, 07:16 PM
Yeah guys, I get ya... like I said it's not the obvious good deal thing it was with the truck, considering it though. It would be nice to cruise in the nice car.

I think I mostly started thinking it over as a reflex, it was pretty standard when I had the truck to check out rental prices as soon as I planned a trip out to BC. Now it's less of a money savings and more just wear and tear, in which you're right, why have a nice car and not enjoy it? I'm alone on this one too so it's not like I'm worried about guys dirtying it up on a holiday.

If I was doing another 3 day run all the way out to Vancouver and back I'd consider it more... that's a good haul and quite a few km's to keep off the car for $150. I guess there's some kind of sliding scale of value in doing it.

I'm just thinking out loud and publicly. Lol

Thaco
06-21-2017, 07:33 PM
I thought most rental place don't allow out of province trips? I mean it'll be hard to prove, but thousands of km within a week or so will be easy to prove? :dunno:

depends on the rental place, i think our last one was aamo, it was the only place that would let us leave the country, and unlimited KM. I even asked the guy if he wanted me to get an oil change because we did like 7-8000KM he said don't worry about it..

Thaco
06-21-2017, 07:37 PM
Yeah guys, I get ya... like I said it's not the obvious good deal thing it was with the truck, considering it though. It would be nice to cruise in the nice car.

I think I mostly started thinking it over as a reflex, it was pretty standard when I had the truck to check out rental prices as soon as I planned a trip out to BC. Now it's less of a money savings and more just wear and tear, in which you're right, why have a nice car and not enjoy it? I'm alone on this one too so it's not like I'm worried about guys dirtying it up on a holiday.

If I was doing another 3 day run all the way out to Vancouver and back I'd consider it more... that's a good haul and quite a few km's to keep off the car for $150. I guess there's some kind of sliding scale of value in doing it.

I'm just thinking out loud and publicly. Lol

for a longer drive when you consider gas/wear and tear, oil changes, brakes, and other limited lifespan items, it actually become more economical to use a rental, but you don't really realize the savings until months down the road really, for me and my LA trip it was worth it, i think i paid like $300 for a Van and put 7-8000km on it in 2 weeks, (was nice to have the van for the extra space, a lot more comfortable than a car. and it keeps the KM's and gave me piece of mind for roadside and accidents)

Black Gts
06-21-2017, 11:39 PM
I've been looking at what will turn out to be a 6500 km road trip in the next week, over 10 days. I did similar last year averaged 13 some thing/100 kms in my 5.0 f150. Have thought about renting, but I wouldn't be able to sleep in my truck nearly half the time as it's just me. If it wasn't me and was using hotels I'd fly and rent, less travel hours, I think it depends on the vacation you're looking for.

Team_Mclaren
06-21-2017, 11:53 PM
I bought a car that I'd enjoy driving on road trips. Would never consider renting a shitbox to suffer on a road trip especially having to spend that much time in it.

acedia
06-22-2017, 08:50 AM
Fair enough. But also note that comparing a rental Elantra or Jetta to your vehicles is a little more extreme than the difference I'm looking at. lol

But yeah, leaning towards taking my own little cage out for a run.

Mitsu3000gt
06-22-2017, 09:58 AM
This common for Calgary - Vancouver runs. Let someone else's car get abused, especially in the season where gravel is still all over the roads. Drove my S4 to Van one year in May and it cost me a $1000 windshield and some hood chips.

Xtrema
06-22-2017, 11:28 AM
What is the point of owning a car if you are afraid to drive it... What do you drive? A Ferrari?

One thing if it saves you money on gas etc. if you drive a truck but just to avoid wear and tear?

Might as well have not bought the new car in the first place if that is the mentality imho :dunno:

Depends on what you value. Money or driving experience.

For $25/day, you can get a 2.0T Malibu for a week for a Vancouver 2500km run for $200 (just did this for my parents last month).

For a equivalent car, you would probably look at $750 on depreciation + potential damage. Depreciation will probably be higher if you have nicer vehicle.

It's is also great that you can just abuse the shit out of the car and don't have to care where you park it mindset.

Was planning a 6000km trip to San Diego with my car, did the math, I'm now flying and renting a Model S instead with may be a few exotics slotted in between and the cost would be similar. Turo definitely make $100K+ car way more accessible, especially Tesla's in Cali.

mzdspd
06-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Depends on what you value. Money or driving experience.

For $25/day, you can get a 2.0T Malibu for a week for a Vancouver 2500km run for $200 (just did this for my parents last month).

For a equivalent car, you would probably look at $750 on depreciation + potential damage. Depreciation will probably be higher if you have nicer vehicle.

It's is also great that you can just abuse the shit out of the car and don't have to care where you park it mindset.

Was planning a 6000km trip to San Diego with my car, did the math, I'm now flying and renting a Model S instead with may be a few exotics slotted in between and the cost would be similar. Turo definitely make $100K+ car way more accessible, especially Tesla's in Cali.

Where did you rent that was that cheap? Cheapest I can find a car that is around 30$ or more per day (Expedia in July for 15 days)

Xtrema
06-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Where did you rent that was that cheap? Cheapest I can find a car that is around 30$ or more per day (Expedia in July for 15 days)

Budget back in late May. Full Size Malibu for $170/week. Not sure why so cheap, I was surprised too. May be the tourist season has not started yet.

They also didn't care about car crossing into BC. And being a Costco member they also allowed a second driver for free.

It's definitely cheaper than flying 3 people out at $400 each and then rent a car there. Wasted 2 days but they wanted to stop by Kelowna anyway.

Edit: May 26 to Jun 2nd, $133.20 + $40 in fees + tax. Pick up at downtown firehouse location.

Totally surprised by how much nicer a Chevy Malibu is now. And that 2.0T is not bad on passing power and very fuel efficient. Perfect cruiser for senior citizens. :D

blownz
06-22-2017, 01:02 PM
I haven't done this since I was in school and didn't have a nice/reliable car. But I have a Suburban booked for next month for 10 days just because I don't have a vehicle anymore that has enough room for my family of 4 plus all the stuff we need to spend 7 nights on a houseboat. Rental seemed like the more comfortable way of doing things. And saving the 2000km or so from my vehicle can't hurt either.

Aleks
06-22-2017, 01:19 PM
We take our minivan. The rental would have to be free to make any difference in fuel savings as it can do about 7-8L/100kms on the highway.

94boosted
06-22-2017, 03:13 PM
I just did a trip to Tofino & back (6 days) in the Sierra and sort of wish I did the rental thing, even though I got decent mileage (12.1km/h over ~2600km). Especially considering I have a few free rental days with National due to corporate rentals. But most rentals don't allow pets so...

shakalaka
06-22-2017, 05:33 PM
I always find myself renting whenever I am driving any substantial distance ever since I got a tire blowout from hitting a pothole on a shitty route. My road trips are usually obscure court locations that aren't always the nicest roads and are sometimes remote. Plus I am always worried about putting mileage and ruining my actual vehicle but then you're always in shitty rental vehicles. That's actually part of the reason I am getting rid of my M3 and going to lease the next vehicle so I don't have to worry about anything and drive the damn thing whenever it needs to be driven without worrying about the mileage.

Thaco
06-22-2017, 07:45 PM
I always find myself renting whenever I am driving any substantial distance ever since I got a tire blowout from hitting a pothole on a shitty route. My road trips are usually obscure court locations that aren't always the nicest roads and are sometimes remote. Plus I am always worried about putting mileage and ruining my actual vehicle but then you're always in shitty rental vehicles. That's actually part of the reason I am getting rid of my M3 and going to lease the next vehicle so I don't have to worry about anything and drive the damn thing whenever it needs to be driven without worrying about the mileage.
wouldn't you be more conscious with a lease as they often have mileage limitations?

shakalaka
06-22-2017, 09:05 PM
wouldn't you be more conscious with a lease as they often have mileage limitations?

I am getting enough allowance to begin with, plus the arrangement I've made with the guy is such that if in a year or two I want something else I can go switch my car without caring about how much mileage is on it for a different vehicle without any penalties for breaking the lease early.

HiTempguy1
06-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Renting a car definitely makes sense in the right circumstances. I do it all the time, especially since I DD the duramax right now.

Whip up a quick spreadsheet and crunch the numbers. I usually go with Enterprise as they have shuttle service (don't know about the others) and they have always treated me extremely well. To go from 15L/100km to 5L/100km starts to add up pretty quick, plus wear and tear on the truck is a lot more (those bigass tires are expensive!)